PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Warner want to end all non-essential travel

Jerk
7/10/2008, 05:16 AM
http://www.azconservative.org/Semmens1.htm

Senator Calls for Halt to Automobile Travel as Oil Conservation Measure

Senator John Warner (R-Virginia) suggested that Congress consider banning unnecessary automobile travel in order to help save gasoline. “In 1974, when we faced oil prices of $12 per barrel, Congress set a national 55 mph speed limit,” Warner remembered. “Studies showed that this saved 167,000 barrels of oil per day and reduced highway fatalities by an estimated 4,000 per year. Now, with oil prices more than ten-times higher we need more drastic action.”

Under Warner’s proposal all non-essential automobile travel would be banned. A “Bureau of Travel Permits” would be established within the Department of Transportation and charged with determining what travel would qualify as “essential.” Preliminary discussions have indicated that travel by government officials would easily qualify as essential. Most trips by private citizens are expected to be accomplished via public transit. Carpools of five or more may be granted temporary permits subject to periodic audits of the participating members.

“Considering that about 90% of the travel is likely non-essential—I mean, only a small fraction of the population has truly important reasons for going by car—we could save 18 million barrels of oil daily,” Warner calculated. “We’d also reduce highway fatalities by around 35,000 a year. Our air would be cleaner. And we’d save billions by cutting back on roadway construction.” Warner apologized for “not getting this brilliant idea sooner,” but expressed gratitude “for the high prices that have enabled me to finally see the light.”

---------

Yeah, it's a joke.

StoopTroup
7/10/2008, 05:17 AM
Another Republican turns liberal.

What a shame.

tbl
7/10/2008, 07:38 AM
For a second there I was about to flip out...

OUDoc
7/10/2008, 07:42 AM
What an idiot. If it were real.

RFH Shakes
7/10/2008, 09:11 AM
The sad part is that it sounds like something a politician would really propose.

Dio
7/10/2008, 12:54 PM
Did that Husker fan write that?

sooner_born_1960
7/10/2008, 02:23 PM
From the same article.

UN Suggests Hostage Crisis May Have Been Improperly Handled
The United Nations is reported to be considering ordering the return of the 60 recently freed hostages of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) to their captors because “their release was obtained through deceptive and dishonest means.”
“The Colombian government agents misrepresented who they were and failed to carry out the agreed upon exchange,” said UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon.
To carry out the rescue mission, Colombian security forces infiltrated FARC, posing as members who were ordered to transport the hostages as part of a trade for the release of imprisoned rebels.
“If we let this go we run the risk of abetting lies as the basis for international relations,” warned Ban. “Do we really want to go down this path?”

Flagstaffsooner
7/10/2008, 03:19 PM
Isnt that the idiot that was married to Liz Pills Taylor?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/10/2008, 03:35 PM
There is now a proposal to further slow down the economy, in the form of reinstating the 55 mile speed limit. NOT joking.

Animal Mother
7/10/2008, 03:54 PM
There is now a proposal to further slow down the economy, in the form of reinstating the 55 mile speed limit. NOT joking.

Link

badger
7/10/2008, 04:04 PM
Um, here's a few:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/07/07/politics/uwire/main4239631.shtml

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2008/07/07/u-s-sen-john-warner-talks-up-55-mph-national-speed-limit/

http://origin.mercurynews.com/politics/ci_9840819

The history behind the law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Maximum_Speed_Law)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/10/2008, 04:08 PM
Link Yeah, I don't know why Jerk said it was a joke.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0708/11525.html

Scott D
7/10/2008, 04:13 PM
Jerk was referring to the banning of travel sir.

Sooner_Havok
7/10/2008, 04:18 PM

Since El ******-O, err, El Rush-Baux has me on ignore, can someone else please explain to me why lowering the speed limit hurts the economy?

BTW, I WON'T drive 55:texan:

Dio
7/10/2008, 04:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiVfaTJUZXU

mdklatt
7/10/2008, 04:23 PM
Since El ******-O, err, El Rush-Baux has me on ignore, can someone else please explain to me why lowering the speed limit hurts the economy?

I hurts the economy of the oil industry, and they're the ones making all the money, duh!

Sooner_Havok
7/10/2008, 04:24 PM
I hurts the economy of the oil industry, and they're the ones making all the money, duh!

Damn, it was so easy, even a "liberal" could see it:eek: I must be pretty dumb eh?

mdklatt
7/10/2008, 04:31 PM
Damn, it was so easy, even a "liberal" could see it:eek:

Seriously, the increased time it would take to transport goods cross-country might have some effect. Probably not as much effect as oil at $150/bbl, though. I do find it curious that the pubz seem to be against any and all measures to reduce oil consumption.

Higher CAFE standards? It'll hurt the auto industry!

CFL bulbs? Mumble mumble MERCURY mumble mumble AL GORE!

Lower speed limits? But I want my Amazon purchase NOW!

Scott D
7/10/2008, 04:35 PM
Seriously, the increased time it would take to transport goods cross-country might have some effect. Probably not as much effect as oil at $150/bbl, though. I do find it curious that the pubz seem to be against any and all measures to reduce oil consumption.

Higher CAFE standards? It'll hurt the auto industry!

CFL bulbs? Mumble mumble MERCURY mumble mumble AL GORE!

Lower speed limits? But I want my Amazon purchase NOW!

the irony with that is that in most states the posted speed limit for ground transports is roughly 10 mph lower than the speed limit for personal vehicles.

Sooner_Havok
7/10/2008, 04:37 PM
the irony with that is that in most states the posted speed limit for ground transports is roughly 10 mph lower than the speed limit for personal vehicles.

And I heard a lot of trucker have decided to slow the **** down anyway to save diesel.

badger
7/10/2008, 04:42 PM
If it's the speed limit, I'll drive it. I usually set my cruise control to whatever the speed limit is and bear driving for as little time as possible.

I think that like Carter (even though he was a fairly worthless president, bless his humanitarian efforts since), asking people to limit trips and limit comfort levels at home (less A/C in the summer, less heat in the winter) would have some effect. American people have stepped up to challenges in the past to volunteer and donate to worldwide and homeland efforts in recent disasters, so I would expect many to act in the best interest of the country as well.

Of course, there are going to be those who don't change - that's why Oklahoma still had wildfires caused by people ignoring the burn bans a few years ago. However, asking people to change would be the place to start, not just banning stuff left and right.

Oh, and I know the story is fake, so please don't point that out :D

Animal Mother
7/10/2008, 04:43 PM
Um, here's a few:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/07/07/politics/uwire/main4239631.shtml

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2008/07/07/u-s-sen-john-warner-talks-up-55-mph-national-speed-limit/

http://origin.mercurynews.com/politics/ci_9840819

The history behind the law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Maximum_Speed_Law)

I want links not speculation by idiots writing editorials for a San Jose newspaper or some Congresswoman on an endless loop of bullsh!t. How old are you guys, seven?

Scott D
7/10/2008, 04:43 PM
And I heard a lot of trucker have decided to slow the **** down anyway to save diesel.

The most amusing thing I heard was at a Pilot station just on the Ohio side of the OH/MI border. A trucker was taking his time at the register, and this woman in line was getting ticked. Another trucker behind her saw it and said "Truckers don't seem to be in a hurry to do anything", she agreed and he said "Maybe it's because the government classifies us as "unskilled laborers" therefore blocking certain overtime guarantees." He then followed up that gem with 'They'll find out how unskilled we are when gas is expensive enough that we can't drive anything anywhere.'

Scott D
7/10/2008, 04:44 PM
oh and badger drives the speed limit because like all good Wisconsinites, she's been brainwashed into it ;)

badger
7/10/2008, 04:44 PM
I want links not speculation by idiots writing editorials for a San Jose newspaper or some Congresswoman on an endless loop of bullsh!t. How old are you guys, seven?

Tee hee, I will ignore your obvious insult - there won't be links because it's just an idea getting tossed around. It hasn't happened yet!

Sooner_Havok
7/10/2008, 04:45 PM
Tee hee, I will ignore your obvious insult - there won't be links because it's just an idea getting tossed around. It hasn't happened yet!

Don't go so far over some folks' head badger

StoopTroup
7/10/2008, 04:46 PM
BOTP: Bureau of Travel Permits...how can we help you?

Sen. Warners Wife: Yes...Sen. Warner is having a Heart Attack and doesn't want to go to the hospital in an Ambulance. Can you fax us over an authorization which will allow us to drive him to the Hospital. Once we're there we'll have the car towed Home and we'll all take the Bus Home from there. I think our our Son still remembers where the keys to the car is as he was the one who used it last. I'm sure you have the authorization for him to drive the Senator to the opening of the Bush Presidential Library last year.

BOTP: Yes Maam, we have all of that....however unless you can get the Ambulance Drivers to download his vital signs...we're not going to be able to help. Sorry.

mdklatt
7/10/2008, 04:47 PM
oh and badger drives the speed limit because like all good Wisconsinites, she's been brainwashed into it ;)

You've got that all wrong. They drive 1 MPH under just to be sure. Until they get on the freeway, then it's a free-for-all. Of course you have to do something to keep from getting run over by all those crazy ******* Illinois drivers.

Scott D
7/10/2008, 04:49 PM
You've got that all wrong. They drive 1 MPH under just to be sure. Until they get on the freeway, then it's a free-for-all. Of course you have to do something to keep from getting run over by all those crazy ******* Illinois drivers.

no trust me, it's a rare Wisconsin person that doesn't drive the speed limit or 1mph under on the freeway.

badger
7/10/2008, 04:49 PM

:mad:

but, yeah, it's true...

:mad: I'm still going to glare.

mdklatt
7/10/2008, 04:54 PM
no trust me, it's a rare Wisconsin person that doesn't drive the speed limit or 1mph under on the freeway.

Not in Milwaukee. I've never seen such schizophrenic behavior. They'll follow the ridiculously low speed limit of 35 MPH on a six lane divided road like 76th St, but as soon as they hit the highway they'll go 10-15 MPH over the limit.

Animal Mother
7/10/2008, 04:57 PM

Thanks for that info Captain Oblivious.... I mean Captain Obvious.

Jerk
7/10/2008, 06:09 PM
The most amusing thing I heard was at a Pilot station just on the Ohio side of the OH/MI border. A trucker was taking his time at the register, and this woman in line was getting ticked. Another trucker behind her saw it and said "Truckers don't seem to be in a hurry to do anything", she agreed and he said "Maybe it's because the government classifies us as "unskilled laborers" therefore blocking certain overtime guarantees." He then followed up that gem with 'They'll find out how unskilled we are when gas is expensive enough that we can't drive anything anywhere.'

'Truck driving' being classified as an unskilled labor is a very good thing. From what I understand, if it were classified as 'skilled labor,' then the trucking companies could let anyone in on visas to fill those spots...for probably much cheaper.

badger
7/10/2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks for that info Captain Oblivious.... I mean Captain Obvious.

Objection - asked and answered.

You asked for links and I answered with links. That's the last I'm going to say on it before I get sad.

olevetonahill
7/10/2008, 07:24 PM
If Ive been Drinking I aint driving anywhere, Ergo I havnt driven anywhere In a year :D