PDA

View Full Version : Top 7 overrated college football coaches!

OU-HSV
7/9/2008, 11:25 PM
Apparently we seem to have the #1 most overrated coach according to this d-bag "analyst" article. :mad:
I didn't see this posted anywhere. A buddy of mine texted me today telling me about this crap.
Yeah, we all want to win the bowl games...but to look at all Bob has accomplished here and place him at the top of the "overrated coach" list is ridiculous.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/35751-college-footballs-seven-most-overrated-coaches

College Football’s Seven Most Overrated Coaches
Paul Augustin identifies 7 college football coaches he thinks are overrated. Read on to see who is overpaid and over-hyped.
by Paul Augustin (Analyst)
58 comments 4637 reads
July 08, 2008

In today’s college football landscape, college coaches are making more money than their NFL brethren. Nick Saban’s contract calls for him to make $3.75 million this year, and he isn’t even the highest paid coach in college football.

Two other recent national champions, Pete Carroll and Les Miles, make nearly $4 million annually, while Charlie Weis is scheduled to make a cool $4.2 million.

I believe that the bowl season is a coach’s best opportunity to shine; it’s when elite coaches separate themselves from good coaches.

Coaches preparing for a major bowl game have nearly a month (longer if you don’t have a conference championship game) to dissect their opponents and give their players the best opportunity to make plays and win. During this month before major bowls, players have to juggle exams and a practice schedule.

They must also battle rustiness from the lack of live action while nursing tired, worn bodies. Elite coaches know how to keep their players sharp during December and ready for January.

Another quality that I look for when evaluating coaches is their conference record. I don’t expect elite coaches to go undefeated or only lose one conference game every year, but I do expect that they are always competing for the conference crown and take advantage of a down year within the conference. When traditional conferences powers are down, elite coaches pounce like a lioness on its prey.

The list I have compiled consists of coaches young and old. They are all in charge of teams in power conferences and/or programs with long, established traditions. In my estimation, they have lived off of their reputations for too long.

1) Bob Stoops

Bob Stoops took over Oklahoma University’s football program in 1999 and has amassed a 97-22 record in nine seasons. He led the Sooners to an undefeated record and the 2000 National Championship, culminating in an Orange Bowl victory over defending champion, Florida State.

Recently, Big Game Bob is 1-4 in bowl games. Those four losses are all in BCS games, including two national championship games and a shocking loss to non-BCS Boise State.

It’s not like Stoops hasn’t brought in talent, either. Since 2003, the Sooners have had 13 All-Americans, including Jason White, Adrian Peterson, Jammal Brown, Tommie Harris, and Mark Clayton. Stoops’ teams have been out-coached and ill-prepared in big games against Pete Carroll (USC), Chris Peterson (Boise State) and Bill Stewart (West Virginia).

2) Charlie Weis

Perhaps no coach has lived more off his accomplishments outside the college ranks than Notre Dame's head man.

Charlie Weis won three Super Bowl rings as offensive coordinator of the New England Patriots. He was credited for much of Tom Brady’s success. Granted, the Patriots haven’t won the Super Bowl since, but Tom Brady’s game doesn’t seem to have suffered one bit.

Charlie Weis was hired as head coach of Notre Dame with the hopes of returning the Fighting Irish to glory. At first, it seemed as if Notre Dame may have found their savior. During the middle of his first season, the Irish signed Weis to a 10-year extension worth $30-40 million.

That year, Notre Dame qualified for the Fiesta Bowl, only to lose 34-20 to Ohio State.

During 2006, Weis’ quarterback, Brady Quinn, was regarded as a Heisman candidate and a possible No. 1 overall pick in the NFL Draft. Neither happened, though, and LSU embarrassed Notre Dame 41-14 in the Sugar Bowl.

This past season, Weis played quarterback roulette on the way to a 3-9 record. During the season, the Irish saw their 43-game winning streak against Navy snapped.

3) Tommy Bowden

Tommy Bowden, coach of the Clemson Tigers, came to the state of South Carolina after a brief, but successful, tenure at Tulane. Bowden led the Green Wave’s high-powered offense to an undefeated record, which culminated in a Liberty Bowl victory over BYU.

In nine seasons at Clemson, Tommy Bowden has yet to win the ACC or 10 games in a season. It’s not like the ACC has been full of powerhouses the past nine years. Only Florida State has played for a national title (1999 and 2000), and powers Virginia Tech and Miami didn’t join the ACC until 2004.

The Tigers are 3-5 in bowl games and have finished in the AP top 25 only four times during his tenure at Clemson.

At nearly $2 million per year, he has hardly been worth the money.

4) Bobby Bowden

Tommy’s father and most famous relative, Bobby, has long been the coach at Florida State. He has amassed over 300 victories, two national titles, and numerous bowl victories. His legacy will be remembered forever and rightfully so.

That legacy hasn’t done much for him lately.

Bowden’s run of top-5 finishes ended in 2001, and he hasn’t been back since. The past two seasons, his team has failed to finish anywhere in the AP poll for the first time since 1986.

He and his son, Tommy, share the same 3-5 record in their past eight bowl games. Bowden lost his grip on the national title race several years ago, and he’s losing his grip on the ACC.

It has long been speculated that Bobby Bowden has been serving more as a figure head of Seminole football, kind of like the Queen of England. Seminole players, especially recently, have been notorious for breaking the law. Last season, a couple dozen players were implicated in an academic cheating scandal and were suspended.

Offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher, hired away from LSU before the 2007 season, is supposed to succeed Bowden whenever he retires.

5) Phil Fulmer

This fast-approaching season marks the 10th anniversary of Tennessee’s last meaningful victory. The Volunteers won the first BCS national title in 1998. Since then, they have won three bowl games in nine years, but they have no BCS victories.

In 2001, the Volunteers were on the verge of their second national championship appearance in four seasons. A week after defeating arch-rival No. 2 Florida, they were ranked No. 2 heading into the SEC Championship Game.

All they had to do was beat underdog LSU and their backup quarterback. An overconfident and unprepared Tennessee squad blew a lead and lost 31-20.

After that season, Tennessee has finished out of the AP poll twice and never in the top 10. The Volunteers have not taken advantage of SEC championship appearances in going 0-3 since the national title.

6) Jeff Tedford

Jeff Tedford, regarded by some as an offensive genius, is widely known for producing successful college quarterbacks. His students have included Trent Dilfer, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Kyle Boller, and Aaron Rodgers. All have been NFL first round picks.

Smith, Harrington, and Boller have been busts of epic proportions. Dilfer, while an offensive manager on a Super Bowl winner, has not lived up to a sixth overall pick. The jury (and hopefully Brett Favre) is still out on Aaron Rodgers.

Note to NFL GMs: Stay away from a Tedford-coached quarterback.

His team at Cal has claimed stake to only one conference title in his six seasons at the helm. California seemed in control of their destiny last season after defeating Oregon in Eugene in a thrilling 31-24 victory. Tedford’s team was ranked No. 2. The Golden Bears then proceeded to lose six of their next seven games to finish the season unranked.

To Tedford’s credit, his teams have actually had a successful, recent bowl record. While never appearing in a New Year’s Day bowl game, his Cal Bears are 4-1 in postseason play.

The University of California, though, is not paying him nearly $2 million per year to win the Holiday Bowl.

7) Kirk Ferentz

When you make $3 million per year and finish no better than tied for third in your own conference during the past three seasons, you qualify as O- VER-RA-TED.

Ferentz was hailed as a savior earlier in the decade after accumulating three straight 10-win seasons and top 10 finishes. The Iowa Hawkeyes seemed to be on the verge of greatness after they defeated defending national champion LSU during the 2004 season in the Capital One Bowl.

Since then, they have finished with no more than seven wins in a season. Ferentz’s team lost nine straight conference games from 2006-2007. The 2007 Hawkeyes won only four conference games despite not having to play Ohio State or Michigan.

OU-HSV
7/9/2008, 11:34 PM
I want to bring attention to this part as well...has he not seen how we've consistently dominated the Big 12??
What a dumb ***

Another quality that I look for when evaluating coaches is their conference record. I don’t expect elite coaches to go undefeated or only lose one conference game every year, but I do expect that they are always competing for the conference crown and take advantage of a down year within the conference. When traditional conferences powers are down, elite coaches pounce like a lioness on its prey.

NYC Poke
7/9/2008, 11:35 PM
The offseason is very, very long.

tulsaoilerfan
7/9/2008, 11:40 PM
Yeah, 5 Big 12 titles in 9 seasons proves just how overrated Bob is; what the hell happened those other 4 years? ;)

sooner59
7/9/2008, 11:40 PM
BS

JLEW1818
7/10/2008, 12:01 AM
ummmm. There is not a coach that has 2 BCS national titles, so until then nobody can really talk about who is the best. But yes Bob is not overrated.

soonermix
7/10/2008, 12:10 AM
ok the guy hit 3/7 for a nice 42%.... FAILURE

Vegas Sooner
7/10/2008, 12:19 AM
Total garbage.

rainiersooner
7/10/2008, 12:45 AM
Yawn. Outside of the National Championship game; bowl games no longer count for squat other than bragging rights. Championships count - and we've got our fair share. As an aside, nice mojo this ********* is living with criticizing a group of pretty successful coaches (except for Kirk Ferentz); I'm sure his wife loves his impotent fat ***. Loser.

r5TPsooner
7/10/2008, 05:58 AM
That guy is a mega dickwheel.:rolleyes:

AlbqSooner
7/10/2008, 06:48 AM
That guy is a mega dickwheel.:rolleyes:

Agreed. However, he doesn't fly.:D

tulsaoilerfan
7/10/2008, 06:57 AM
Why is Mack not on that list? 1 League title and 1 NC in 20 plus years as a head coach, yet they are always winning the recruiting national championship; the guy that wrote that has to be a :texan:

tulsaoilerfan
7/10/2008, 06:59 AM
Add Petey to that list also; since their pay for play scheme has been found out the Trojans have drifted back to the lower end of the top 10; with all that talent they should win the NC every year

bstuff1979
7/10/2008, 07:47 AM
The fact that Fulmer and Ferentz aren't 1a and 1b removes any authority from his argument. In reference to Ferentz (Iowa's very own Garry Gibbs, though without that whole 'clean(er) program' thing), here's a nice article from an Iowa blog (WARNING: very NSFW text- potty mouth) http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/2008/5/31/543382/because-i-m-kirk-motherf-k

soonerfan28
7/10/2008, 07:59 AM
1. Fulmer. The guy hasn't done anything in 10 years and the gave him a contract extention.

1A. Smack Brown. The guy has 1 conference and national title(as has already been stated) and he's brought in top 5 classes every year. When we started on that 4 year streak over Texas it wasn't with players that were high school all americans.

XFollower
7/10/2008, 08:01 AM
"See, Paul Augustin[has] been talking down to coaches . . . I wanna cut his nuts out," Jackson said.

TexasLidig8r
7/10/2008, 08:23 AM
1A. Smack Brown. The guy has 1 conference and national title(as has already been stated) and he's brought in top 5 classes every year. When we started on that 4 year streak over Texas it wasn't with players that were high school all americans.

Urban legend. Actually, of the last 7 years, OU has had higher ranker recruiting classes 4 of those years.

Collier11
7/10/2008, 08:26 AM
I dont agree with Coach being overrated but his point that he keeps getting outcoached in big games isnt too far from true

soonerfan28
7/10/2008, 08:26 AM
I'm talking about 2000,2001,2002,2003, and 2004. I was wrong it was a 5 game streak.

VA Sooner
7/10/2008, 08:58 AM
Agreed... guy is an idiot. Bob has done very well with getting the teams to the Big 12 Championship, including two distracting years... one with Bomar and the next without. One big meltdown... Orange Bowl with USC, that's it. Against West Virginia... we were without four big starters (Reggie Smith, Lendy Holmes, DeMarcus Granger, and Malcolm Kelly). Granger's distraction was the biggest blow... Franks did a good job helping out covering for two of the missing secondary and Lofton with 15 tackles. Against Boise State... rough first half with mistakes that gave Boise State life and able to keep ahead until the fourth quarter. Embarrassing... yes. Shameful... only the Orange Bowl.

Just two big gambles that went awry in the last BCS game... going for it on 4th down deep in our own territory and the on-side kick... which if it went the other way, he would have been Big-Game Bob again and no further discussion.

What will be very interesting... will Mike Stoops turn AZ around or will he be fired and come back to OU? Defensive co-coordinator with Brent Venables? This will be a very interesting season... we are strong everywhere with the exception of linebacker... but I'm sure it will come together.

How many more days until the first game? This off-season is too long.

badger
7/10/2008, 09:57 AM
Although you have to admit, he's right when he says we are 1-4 in the last few BCS games!

(ducks as computer mouses are thrown across cyberspace through monitors everywhere)

Tee hee. Ok, that aside, I think we should look at all things considered - what makes a good coach, and what causes a coach to be rated high and get a good reputation?

1. Good coaches win big games.

Big games constitute any type of rivalry game and championship game, games against ranked opponents, especially highly-ranked opponents and any game of incredible significance to the history of the program or is of national media attention.

2. Good coaches bring the best out in their players

"The best" is not only on the field (very important, because we aren't into Disney-esque feel-good stories, screw you Boise State!) but also should take into consideration off-field as well. Off-field issues should be limited and not have an arrest or two each month. On-field includes national award winners and honors such as anything named the _______ Trophy, or All-American status, or First Round Draft pick status, etc.

3. Good coaches are successful on a consistent basis, regardless of circumstances, talent levels, intangibles, etc.

No excuses, you either are a success or you aren't. History records won't note that you had a few more injuries in Year A than Year B. So what if you were going up against a team with more top draft picks? I don't care if it was raining that gameday. What was the level of success?

Each of these contribute to a coach's reputation and rating in regards to college football. Given this, I would say that Bob Stoops warrants his high rating and is not "overrated." Now... other coaches on the list...

2) Charlie Weis: Overrated (and overpaid). Has had exactly ONE good season at Notre Dame and has a reputation based off a highly-talented professional team, not on the college level. Does not win on a consistent basis, does not bring out the best in his players, does not win big games.

3) Tommy Bowden: Overrated (and will soon be fired). Despite all the talent in the world, has yet to take the ACC crown and only wins big games against daddy. Does not win on a consistent basis, does not bring the best out of his highly recruited, highly touted players, does not win big games.

4) Bobby Bowden: Not overrated. Give the guy a rest, he's accomplished it all and he's on his way to retirement, just like Joe Pa. He deserves to be credited for all of his accomplishments at Florida State and shouldn't just be taken as his "what have you done for me lately" detractors do. In past, won big games, brought the best out of his players and won on a consistent basis. Now, that's not really true, but like I said, he's retiring, leave the guy alone.

5) Phil Fulmer: Overrated, sort of. Yes, a championship is good, especially the SEC championship. However, since then, despite hardcore recruiting of the entire d@mn country, Fulmer has not brought the best out in his high level talent, especially off the field (Fulmer Cup, anyone?). Ignoring his past accomplishments, he has not won consistently, especially in big games and definitely does not bring out the best in players. However, how can you be overrated if you're not even rated high to begin with?

6) Jeff Tedford: Is this guy even rated high? No. Next...

7) Kirk Ferentz: Overrated. Used to win, now can't be depended on a X-number-of-wins season anymore. Can't even be depended on to beat little brudder ISU anymore. Even Coach Coale beats ISU now! The players? Well, not like there's a lot of corn fed beef talent in Iowa, so I'll leave that open. However, it is clear that he does not win big games (or even semi-big Cy-Hawk Trophy games) and does not win on a consistent basis.

Fair enough? Ok. Columnist obviously succeeded in getting you guys riled up :D Just reason out the facts and your fan rage all simmers down ;)

KantoSooner
7/10/2008, 11:20 AM
I now understand a term my father uses from time to time: 'Whistle Dick'.

badger
7/10/2008, 11:59 AM
I now understand a term my father uses from time to time: 'Whistle Dick'.

From Urban Dictionary:

"An insult directed at men tending to diminish or disparage. Also used at belittling their genitalia & manhood."

In example:
Hey whistle dick, can't you carry that by yourself?
Old whistle dick here couldn't get laid in a mortuary!!

JLEW1818
7/10/2008, 01:10 PM
I'd give Charlie Weis some time. Eventually I think he will have a decent team. What is his contract I know its pretty big.

AllAboutThe'O'
7/10/2008, 01:29 PM
[QUOTE=badger;2333239]
3) Tommy Bowden: Overrated (and will soon be fired). Despite all the talent in the world, has yet to take the ACC crown and only wins big games against daddy. Does not win on a consistent basis, does not bring the best out of his highly recruited, highly touted players, does not win big games.
[B]

Bowden won't be fired anytime soon; he signed a big contract extension with Clemson during the offseason when Arkansas expressed interest in luring him away to Fayetteville. That said, I think Tommy Bowden is the most overrated coach in the game today; he's had some great athletes the past few seasons but the Tigers have been maddingly inconsistent. This year, Clemson is a near-unanimous pick to win the ACC but I betcha Tommy Boy finds a way to screw that up.

badger
7/10/2008, 02:20 PM
QUOTE=badger;2333239
[B]

Bowden won't be fired anytime soon; he signed a big contract extension with Clemson during the offseason when Arkansas expressed interest in luring him away to Fayetteville. That said, I think Tommy Bowden is the most overrated coach in the game today; he's had some great athletes the past few seasons but the Tigers have been maddingly inconsistent. This year, Clemson is a near-unanimous pick to win the ACC but I betcha Tommy Boy finds a way to screw that up.

tee hee @ your quoting :D

I forgot about his contract extension (although as we know, some fanbases are not above buying out huge contracts). I still think Bowden won't stay long if he doesn't put up better figures than salary figures at Clemson. Clemson should have won the ACC at least twice now, but with Miami suddenly getting recruits and a coach that will keep them in line, there goes the Tigers chances of capitalizing on a weak state of Florida schej

BillyBall
7/10/2008, 03:04 PM
I wouldn't trade Bob for any coach in the country, so that guy can suck a dick.

AllAboutThe'O'
7/10/2008, 03:14 PM

And there's at least 100 D1 schools that would love to have Coach Stoops roam their sidelines in a heartbeat.

Collier11
7/10/2008, 03:55 PM

Very Well Said!!! :D

sooner94
7/10/2008, 05:25 PM

That is the best response ever!

cheezyq
7/10/2008, 07:22 PM
Reading his posts below the article in response to disagreemens, it's clear that this "analyst" is more anal-cyst. He contradicts himself numerous times and gets pwn3d halfway down by a Sooner fan named Jeffrey.

OU-HSV
7/10/2008, 08:02 PM
Reading his posts below the article in response to disagreemens, it's clear that this "analyst" is more anal-cyst. He contradicts himself numerous times and gets pwn3d halfway down by a Sooner fan named Jeffrey.

Yeah, speaking of contradicting. I thought about this at work today. If one main factor is in conference performance....am I behind the times...or isn't neutered dame still an independent?
If they are, then how could conf. performance play a role in that rating??

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not sold an charlie weiss...but this "analyst" doesn't really make sense.

Sooner_09
7/10/2008, 09:06 PM
I think whoever wrote this is full of **** and has no clue what he's talking about..I mean why is brown not on this list???

JLEW1818
7/10/2008, 09:14 PM
I guess because Mack brown has lost zero BCS Bowls. We've been to more national championships then they have BCS appearances. After Texas beat us two years ago, they couldn't even finish off the deal of winning the big 12 south, in my opinion that is choking and overrating.

goingoneight
7/10/2008, 09:17 PM
7. Mack Brown
He's a good coach, but there are many who could do MUCH, MUCH more at a place like UT. In fact, there are teams on a yearly basis playing Longhorn brand of football in the style of Holiday Bowl or bust at much lesser programs such as Texas Tech, Missouri and Oregon.
6. Les Miles
He's purely all about luck. This guy will fall hard when the day comes that the ball stops bouncing his way. Seriously? Picking on coaches for losing BCS games? How about we look at WHERE exactly Les Miles has played in his two "monumental" BCS wins and who he's played against. Need I remind the world that his "National Championship" season boasted two losses to crappy teams.
5. Nick Saban
Look for more excuses about how the SEC is so tough to justify 9-5 at best. Consider the fact that if anyone else id sumb enough to want him and pay enough to get him... he has no loyalty whatsoever. Sorry, but I count loyalty in as a big factor in judging coaches.
4. Bobby Bowden
Seriously... when are people going to give up holding out for a "return to glory?"
3. Kirk Ferentz (sp?)
Why do people continue to slobber over this guy? Why do people STILL, to this day continue to compare him to Bob Stoops? Because he was on the list for the same HC gig nine years ago?
2. Mike Bellotti
It takes a "decent" coach to win at Oregon... let's stop bragging about how next-to-impossible it is to do what the Ducks have done under Mikey B. Did we or did we not see Oregon totally fall flat on their asses without Dennis Dixon last year, and now people are predicting a top 15 finish based on the "Bellotti factor?" The biggest win of this guy's career was an embarassing performance that hinged on horrid officiating. They really finished that season out strong after that "win," didn't they?

1. Any other coach or moron sports wrtier who hinges an entire season worth of coach on a bowl game not tabbed "National Championship Game." This means you, Mr. Independence Bowl Champion guy. You, too... Mr. but we played in a tough conference and won the Meineke Car Care Bowl!!!!111!!1111" Last I checked, the only bowl trophy people come to Norman, Austin, Talahassee, Gainesville, etc. to see is the crystal ball. I don't hear many people bragging about how beautiful their golden urn is in the face of Pete Carroll, Bob Stoops, Jim Tressell, etc.

Sooner_09
Losing to a rival 5 years in a row isn't worthy of overratedness???

Curly Bill
I think whoever wrote this is full of **** and has no clue what he's talking about..I mean why is brown not on this list???

Very few think Mack is an especially good coach to start with. In other words he's not overrated because he's just not rated very high to start with.

SteelClip49
7/11/2008, 03:34 AM
the author of this article is an LSU fan as you can see next to his name....so the article clearly serves no merit.

tulsaoilerfan
7/11/2008, 09:09 AM
Very few think Mack is an especially good coach to start with. In other words he's not overrated because he's just not rated very high to start with.

That's a damn good observation Bill. :D

stoopified
7/11/2008, 10:43 AM
If you go strictly by bowl season,I understand their point.However a football coach cannot be measured by bowl wins and losses alone, consistency,conference titles, ND BIG WINS IN REGULAR SEASON GAMES SHOULD ALSO FACTOR INTO THE MIX.When that is considered not only does Bob not belong on that list but he SHOULD be considered one of the TOP 7 coaches in football.

badger
7/11/2008, 10:47 AM
ND BIG WINS IN REGULAR SEASON GAMES SHOULD ALSO FACTOR INTO THE MIX.
But... Notre Dame had no big wins in the regular season last year... they even lost to Navy for the first time in... who knows how long?!

;)

JohnnyMack
7/11/2008, 10:57 AM
Any ****nut can have a blog. Who cares what some 24 year old cocksmoke has to say?

Don't confuse one bored fan's "opinion" with anything resembling "journalism".

OU-HSV
7/11/2008, 11:10 AM
If you go strictly by bowl season,I understand their point.However a football coach cannot be measured by bowl wins and losses alone, consistency,conference titles, ND BIG WINS IN REGULAR SEASON GAMES SHOULD ALSO FACTOR INTO THE MIX.When that is considered not only does Bob not belong on that list but he SHOULD be considered one of the TOP 7 coaches in football.

word

OU-HSV
7/11/2008, 11:13 AM
Any ****nut can have a blog. Who cares what some 24 year old cocksmoke has to say?

Very true.
I just thought it was worth posting on here..after all it is offseason and that guy claims to be some sort of "analyst", so we may as well call him out on his lack of brain power

Collier11
7/11/2008, 11:14 AM

In addition, any ****nut whose job title says journalist, sportswriter, or sports analyst can have an opinion, that doesnt stop them from being idiotic opinions or biased opinons.

badger
7/11/2008, 11:17 AM
Wow is off season long. I think I'm gonna go outside and mow the lawn

Collier11
7/11/2008, 11:19 AM
Wow is off season long. I think I'm gonna go outside and mow the lawn

cant you confine that to your bathroom, the neighbors will not be pleased!

badger
7/11/2008, 11:30 AM
cant you confine that to your bathroom, the neighbors will not be pleased!

I'm back. The stupid mower wouldn't start. That's what I get for flooding the engine. NP will be home soon so I'll make him start it. Hopefully it won't be raining by then.

footballfanatic
7/11/2008, 01:05 PM
In Austin, putting Stoops at the top of the list has also been dismissed as moronic.

Collier11
7/11/2008, 01:24 PM
In Austin, putting Stoops at the top of the list has also been dismissed as moronic.

Thats horn logic, get owned by a coach directly and indirectly and they still dont think he is one of the top coaches

ashley
7/11/2008, 03:33 PM
I live in Houston and in Texas MB is moving up on the list fast and if tu lives up to this years expectations I am sure he will be at the top.

Collier11
7/11/2008, 03:42 PM
so Tulsa's success helps Michael Bolton with his popularity in Texas?

footballfanatic
7/11/2008, 03:54 PM
Thats horn logic, get owned by a coach directly and indirectly and they still dont think he is one of the top coaches

Only if owned means "being soundly beaten by him 2 out of the last 3 years"-- Must be Sooner logic

JLEW1818
7/12/2008, 03:14 PM
What about the last 8 times

fadada1
7/12/2008, 04:27 PM
bob stoops v. charlie weis

makes sense.

Collier11
7/12/2008, 05:57 PM
Only if owned means "being soundly beaten by him 2 out of the last 3 years"-- Must be Sooner logic

He is 3-6 against Stoops, has one count it ONE conf title EVER! HOw good of a coach is that, how long has he been coaching? Use a little bit of sense if you have any. His recruiting natl titles do not count, youve got nothing!

goingoneight
7/13/2008, 03:55 PM
1999 Bob versus :mack:
After a nice jump start, OU's defense pulls a poke-caliber choke job and Applewhite's crew steals the show. Not a bad showing for a first and second-year HC in what has been otherwise a real stinker ever since Switzer quit/retired/whathaveyou.

2000 Bob versus :mack:
Pretty close matchup between two top 15 teams, Texas notably No. 11 AND favored to win. Well... pretty close until kickoff. Mack was out-caoched from pregame all the way to film review in this one.

2001 Bob versus :mack:
UT offense tried everything in the book and had no answer to the mixed blitz packages which had different Sooners swarming "Heisman" Chrissy every down. UT even got the benefit of taking out OU's starting quarterback and lost. Where's your answer there, Chrissy? Oh, yeah... Mack answered that one for him. My bad.

2002 Bob versus :mack:
Once again, OU is without it's better quarterback... and it definitely showed this time. Still, another top-15 UT squad chokes away a team they had on the ropes. I guess that had nothing to do with coach, though... right?

2003 Bob versus :mack:
Do we really need to go there? I mean, honestly... your entire fanbase wanted Mack Brown fired after 65-13. Not staff changes, not halftime adjustments... they wanted him fired. A great majority of those "fire Mack Brown" types suggested buying out rival Bob's contract. "Sooner logic," right?

2004 is yet another top 15... top 10... top 5 Bob versus :mack: matchup
One in which Texas has arguably the best college QB ever out of Tejas who managed 0 points against what really wasn't a great Sooner defense.

2005 Bob versus :mack:
Before we start slobbering over your suuposed "greatest team evar," let's remind you that not only is OU unranked and 2-2 coming into this guaranteed 2nd-ranked UT victory, they're the youngest team in the NCAA that year, playing without Adrian Peterson. 45-12 must have been fun for the Hook'em folks, but to say it even belongs in the same breath as the previous five Sooner victories is just plain retarded. This young Sooner team lost to TCU, struggled against Tulsa on their home field and got owned by UCLA leading up to this "epic" Texas victory. Not only should :mack: have won this game by at least four scores, he should have been burned at the stake if he lost it.

2006 Bob versus :mack:
Finally a solid gameplan by :mack: proves that he can out-coach Bob Stoops. He just needs OU to turn the ball over five times and get a gift-wrapped TD thanks to the officiating crew to seal the deal. Whorn faithful wanted to believe that the tables had turned, but anyone with a clue about football could tell that OU was the better team that was shooting themselves in the foot. But let's let Texas have their victory and think that they were truly 18 points better than OU on this day. Kansas State, Nebraska, Texas Tech and Texas A&M would soon prove otherwise. They puff their chests out about us losing to Boise State while their team, just a few miles outside of Asstin, held on for dear life against a 6-6 Iowa team in front of a Texas-dominant crowd.

2007 Bob versus :mack:
A stinktastic situation for both coaches to remember. CU should not have been within two scores of beating OU, but still did what it took to beat us. Can't really say the same for Texas... who got dominated on their home field by a team that didn't even make a bowl game. P.S. Doesn't everyone get a bowl game nowadays for effort?
Finally a Red River Shootout between Bob and Mack. They say turnovers generally tell the tale of a game. Well, Colt McCoy's brilliant toss across his body cost him the game if this much is so. Oklahoma's "wide-eyed" freshman QB tosses three perfect strikes to the endzone and DeMarco Murray etches a 65-yard RRS classic TD run. Great game, hard to guage who out-coached who in this one. You have to admit that if OU had a healthy Ryan Reynolds, UT doesn't come within three scores. Still, what's done is done... and Hook 'em succs again.

soonerfan28
7/13/2008, 06:31 PM
If I'm not mistaken Smack has the worst two losses in the RRS.

Crimson_Balls
7/13/2008, 06:58 PM
Stoops better win his next BCS bowl.

I'm just sayin...

JLEW1818
7/13/2008, 11:51 PM
thats for sure

Collier11
7/14/2008, 09:20 AM
Stoops better win his next BCS bowl.

I'm just sayin...

Or what? We b*tch and moan all offseason, we get made fun of by the natl media?

Curly Bill
7/14/2008, 09:24 AM
Someone needs to write an article on the most overrated defensive coordinators. :D

JLEW1818
7/14/2008, 10:04 AM
Pete Carroll, lost to Stanford enough said. hehe.