PDA

View Full Version : And they make fun of us for selling discounted basketball ticket

Sooner24
7/9/2008, 09:00 PM
http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=54372

Even at that they are overpriced by about $25.

What a bunch of losers. :pop:

tommieharris91
7/9/2008, 09:29 PM
So you find that, but you miss this (http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=54385)?

sooner59
7/9/2008, 11:30 PM
I just find something funny about the quote "Let's pack the Boone!".

OUDoc
7/10/2008, 07:59 AM

"Pack the Pickens" sounds better.

badger
7/10/2008, 10:19 AM
So you find that, but you miss this (http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=54385)?

Give (most of) the Pokes credit - they are all about the "fairweather fan cheatin' gooners" comments but know that what the guy did was absolutely wrong. Good to know our fellow statesmen are on our side for once :D

As for them lowering ticket prices, this is exactly what they need to do to get fans out for a non-conference game (we have lower price non-conf tix too, and I'm pretty sure they're less than $60 face value for some of them).

It is easy to sell a top program's ticket to the home opener. Others have to be a little more creative (and yes, I am cutting them slack for their Jones/Bradford comments).

sooneron
7/10/2008, 11:03 AM
ON TICKETMASTER!!!!

http://www.dosomething.org/files/Images/EddieVedder.jpg

cvsooner
7/10/2008, 12:30 PM
Well, here's how they can offer (http://www.cnbc.com/id/25610775) discounted tickets:

Easy "Pickens" For Boone's Oklahoma State Cowboys?
Posted By: Darren Rovell
Topics: Sports

As many of us have figured out, all the money in the world doesn't buy your team a championship.

It's even harder in the collegiate world, where boosters can't buy players (technically), they can just hope to score the best coach and build the best facilities with the name of the game to get the best recruits.

That's why I'm so interested to see what happens with Oklahoma State's top revenue sports: football and men's basketball.

I caught up with Boone Pickens, the biggest booster in the nation, who gave $165 million to Oklahoma State exactly two and half years ago tomorrow, and he told me that his Cowboys are quite glad that a condition of his donation was to put the money back into his investment firm BP Capital.

Pickens told me that the $165 million is up 120 percent since his donation. That means that his original donation is now worth $363 million. Add to that the $28.6 million that was donated last month by Boone's friends Amy and Malone Mitchell to the athletics department and we're up to almost $400 million from two families.

So is it realistic to think all this money can help push the Cowboys past the in-state rival Sooners one day?

Last year, on the heels of a Phil Knight $100 million to the University of Oregon athletic department, I asked blog readers whether they thought Oklahoma State or Oregon would win a championship in men's basketball or football in the next 15 years than 40 percent of those that voted said yes.

But I'm looking at Oklahoma State football right now and I'm just not so sure. By most accounts, they are ranked somewhere between the 40th and 45th best team in college football this year. And perhaps, more importantly, Oklahoma got seven recruits out the Rivals 100. Oklahoma State? Zero.

Pickens apparently did a great job of managing the Cowboys money (not surprising), but just like the pros, seemingly no amount of money will buy you a championship.

badger
7/10/2008, 12:39 PM
Fringe schools like OSU (no offense, NYC Poke, but your school is not the flagship university, sorry) need their big money donors to get up to speed with the major universities. So Boone Pickens donates $165 million and maybe it more-than-doubles. Well, schools like OU and Texas had that to begin years ago and already have like-facilities and greater standing and tradition built.

Now, I know what you're thinking: Badger, we have an athletic village with 10 football practice fields! True. But, you also have a smaller football stadium (60,000<85,000 according to OU and OSU math professors alike), you have a smaller trophy room (not counting wrestling) and your professional ties as of now are not there yet (with all kudos to Super Bowl champion RW McQuarters, even if I hate the Giants for what they did to Favre).

Pickens will need to make a lot more donations to ever catch up with the likes of the established powers. This is probably why the mid-majors want to sue the BCS structure.

Dio
7/10/2008, 12:41 PM
Does Holder know somebody's selling individual tickets to one of his games? I thought this year was season tickets only to soak the gooners?

badger
7/10/2008, 12:44 PM
Does Holder know somebody's selling individual tickets to one of his games? I thought this year was season tickets only to soak the gooners?

Tee hee. This is the Houston Cougars game only to Break the Boone or Pack the Pickens or T. B** the T. Boone
;)

EstablishedSooner1967
7/10/2008, 01:14 PM
How great would it be if Houston won that game.. not only a first loss at 0-state but by an ex-OU coach...

olevetonahill
7/10/2008, 08:28 PM
Aint this the wrong forum For Roundball ?

OSUAggie
7/11/2008, 07:25 AM
And they make fun of us for selling discounted basketball ticket

I think that was more for the free hot dog and t-shirt and coke and whatever else accompanied the ticket, which may or may not have been free.

tulsaoilerfan
7/11/2008, 09:07 AM
Will be funny when they still have about 15k empty seats for Houston :)

badger
7/11/2008, 09:15 AM
Will be funny when they still have about 15k empty seats for Houston :)

Seriously, the Pokes better put up or shut up. If they truly think this is their year (like they do every year, but ESPECIALLY this year) they better bring their fans out in full force like they would for the every-other-year OU game.

Yes, I'm calling out your fanbase, OSUAggie. Some of your colleagues like to get after us for having t-shirt fans or whatever that don't show up for basketball. Well, it's your chance to show up.

Either you sell out your new stadium for the home opener, or you're not going bowling this year. That is the judgment the football gods bestow. 60,000 in the seats, or you're not going to beat any conference opponent (aside from Baylor) this year and as for the OU game, you'll lose by 50. However, you'll keep Gundy as coach despite this record. Worst of all, Zac Robinson, your savior QB on the Lindy cover, will suffer a season ending injury in this Houston game your fans choose to not attend.

Yes, all of this will happen if your fans do not show up to the Houston game. So says the football gods.

humblesooner
7/11/2008, 11:09 AM
I have been a Sooner fan for nearly 50 years (had my 50th BD 6 weeks ago) and maybe I am a little jaded.
I could understand offering discounted tickets to the general public.

What I am confused about is these are supposed available to only Alumni Members.
The posters in the thread are talking about being Alumni Members and Life Members.

Ummmmm....don't these people have season tickets already?

Even in the 90's, OU was selling about 60,000 season tickets.
And life members weren't scrambling to get discount tickets on a special promotion.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

tdsooner1321
7/11/2008, 12:48 PM
I thought all their fans were alumni anyway :D

kbsooner21
7/11/2008, 02:39 PM

http://www.thebeverageking.com/winepics/boones.jpg

Sooner24
7/11/2008, 02:53 PM
I think that was more for the free hot dog and t-shirt and coke and whatever else accompanied the ticket, which may or may not have been free.

OSU could sell tickets to the Houston game for $10 and include a free t-shirt, hot dog, coke and a free program and still not come close to selling the game out