PDA

View Full Version : Please Verify This Is Wrong

winnard
7/9/2008, 08:32 PM
http://69.49.239.85/newsok/sports/sooners/In%20search%20of%20the%20next%20Sooner%20QB%20_%20 NewsOK.com.htm

If not, then there will be a mass suicide at dawn.

winnard

yermom
7/9/2008, 08:36 PM
???

are you talking about this link?

http://newsok.com/in-search-of-the-next-sooner-qb/article/3266765/?tm=1215404788

batonrougesooner
7/9/2008, 08:41 PM
I'm pretty sure they are looking to recruit another quarterback next year.

I don't believe it is wrong.

winnard
7/9/2008, 08:44 PM
I'm pretty sure they are looking to recruit another quarterback next year.

I don't believe it is wrong.

That page has been taken down, it was stating that Sam Bradford and Landry Jones were arrested on Cocaine dist. charges. Someone faked it really good, fooled me. It's gone now.

winnard

yermom
7/9/2008, 08:46 PM
lol

i guess that's why the link didn't work anymore. i was wondering what was up with the URL

seems "DarthHusker" was messing around

http://69.49.239.85/

Scott D
7/9/2008, 08:48 PM
moral of this story is one should be sure a site is a legitimate site.

birddog
7/9/2008, 08:55 PM
lol

i guess that's why the link didn't work anymore. i was wondering what was up with the URL

seems "DarthHusker" was messing around

http://69.49.239.85/

also looks like he lost interest in his site.

NYC Poke
7/9/2008, 09:34 PM
Totally uncool. There are lines (no pun intended) you don't cross, and this is one of them.

snp
7/9/2008, 10:44 PM
This means war.

Farkers, to your battle stations.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
7/9/2008, 11:21 PM
Frickin Bugeater DOOSHBAG (http://newsok.com/story-about-ou-qbs-drug-busts-a-hoax/article/3268074/?tm=1215657911)

47straight
7/9/2008, 11:45 PM
So, it says that a radio station in Austin reported it as fact. I just read about this all just now. That said...

I'm willing to bet a coke/beer at the next (and first) sf.com tailgate that I can name the station and the sports "journalist" reporting it as fact.

1530AM, and Jeff Ketchum. The ********* that runs orangebloods and reported, along with his gay lover Chip Brown (of the Dallas Morning Fiction and fellow 1530 'personality') that Darrell Scott went to CU because his mom got promised a job. Chippy Chip made sure and repeated the lie in the Longhorn Morning News and then it had legs.

OUby35
7/10/2008, 12:07 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/big12/2008-07-10-oklahoma-hoax_N.htm?csp=34

It looks like DarthHusker is in for a "Mauling":

Landry's father, Kevin Jones, indicated Conradt's apology may not be enough.

"I'm going to prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law," Jones said. "I've got deep enough pockets to do it."

SbOrOiNaEnR
7/10/2008, 12:19 AM
"I'm going to prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law," Jones said. "I've got deep enough pockets to do it."

I think an important lesson that's being overlooked here is do not cross Landry Jones's father. I have a healthy and robust fear of him now.

freshchris05
7/10/2008, 06:22 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/big12/2008-07-10-oklahoma-hoax_N.htm?csp=34

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

this dude is a dumbass, that made a dumbass mistake, by making a dumbass joke, but truthfully you cant do much in court... at the end of the day the only winner is the govt who is racking up all those taxes...

OU_Sooners75
7/10/2008, 06:25 AM
total hoax.

all you have to do is see the IP address in front of /newsok then do you notice the .htm right after newsok.com?

Somebody was stirring the pot and got quite a few people on it.

Landry's father is going to press charges against the person that did this.

or you can read the following "real" newsok.com story about it....

http://newsok.com/story-about-ou-qbs-drug-bust-a-hoax/article/3268074/?tm=1215656301

AlbqSooner
7/10/2008, 06:43 AM
this dude is a dumbass, that made a dumbass mistake, by making a dumbass joke, but truthfully you cant do much in court... at the end of the day the only winner is the govt who is racking up all those taxes...

Actually he probably can do something in Court. Defamation of character is a very viable cause of action. Attributing a felony, which distribution of Cocaine is, to an individual is defamation "per se". The radio station which took the story and ran with it before verifying it can also be held liable. (See Weaver vs Pryor Jeffersonian.)

Even though both Sam and Landry would most likely be considered "public figures", defamation per se removes the requirement of proving "actual malice" on the part of the publisher of the statement.

Both the cornholer who posted this and the radio station that ran with it could have serious problems on this one.

soonersn20xx
7/10/2008, 08:06 AM
Mr. Landry Jones father just may be more interested in making sure the next guy who wants to use this type of misguided humor think twice.

I have been the target of a similar type "joke" that was done by a co-worker, it's all funny unless it's about you. If I were on the jury, Darthhusker would be in trouble.

Boomer.....
7/10/2008, 08:09 AM
Wow, not a good decision on his part. I hope he does face some sort of consequence.

sshusker
7/10/2008, 08:14 AM
As a Husker fan, you have my apologies. This is not funny and I don't blame anyone for being ticked off!

OUDoc
7/10/2008, 08:26 AM
Part of me can't understand how a guy his age could be such a dumb ***. Then I think of some of the "jokes" we put on this web site, and realize one of us could have done the same thing, I suppose.
(A guy his age really has a "fanboy" web site?)

OUDoc
7/10/2008, 08:27 AM
There was a fake news story posted for a few hours Wednesday at this location that was intended to be a joke
about Oklahoma football. A link to this site was posted on a Husker fan discussion board. The site has been
taken down. I am sorry for any trouble this has caused. Please consider this to be an official retraction and
correction. If you see a link to this page referencing the previous story, please ask to have it removed. Thank you.
From the "fanboy's" story link.

batonrougesooner
7/10/2008, 08:39 AM
Actually he probably can do something in Court. Defamation of character is a very viable cause of action. Attributing a felony, which distribution of Cocaine is, to an individual is defamation "per se". The radio station which took the story and ran with it before verifying it can also be held liable. (See Weaver vs Pryor Jeffersonian.)

Even though both Sam and Landry would most likely be considered "public figures", defamation per se removes the requirement of proving "actual malice" on the part of the publisher of the statement.

Both the cornholer who posted this and the radio station that ran with it could have serious problems on this one.

Doesn't the fact that it was known by the writer to be false when it was published with the seemingly sole intent of defamation in essence prove malice?

Collier11
7/10/2008, 08:43 AM

You my friend are wrong, he publicly embarrassed these guys and it was reported as fact by atleast two Texas radio stations which is very malicious. This is trouble!

BillyBall
7/10/2008, 08:45 AM
I feel sorry for that ****. His life must be extremely exciting to have the time to do that.

47straight
7/10/2008, 08:46 AM
By the way, James Conradt is an employee of the University of Texas.

That's right - these accusations were made by a horn and republished by a horn radio station.

Collier11
7/10/2008, 08:48 AM

I love this quote, sounds like you dont mess with is son and I think it is great!!

sooner n houston
7/10/2008, 08:58 AM
Here is a copy of the false "story" as it appeared.

Two Sooner Quarterbacks Arrested for Intent to Distribute Cocaine
By Jake Trotter
OU Insider Police responding to reports of a loud party Tuesday night near Elmwood Drive and South Pickard in Norman discovered a large bag of what was later identified as cocaine. The three suspects arrested at the site included two Sooner quarterbacks, standout sophomore Sam Bradford and promising freshman Landry Jones.
Norman police spokesperson Captain Jeffrey Becker said Wednesday that the quantity of cocaine involved would lead to a charge of Possession with Intent to Distribute Cocaine and Possession with Intent to Distribute Cocaine Base (Crack Cocaine).

The defendants allegedly possessed with intent to distribute in excess of 5 kilograms of a mixture or substance containing a detectable amount of Cocaine, a Schedule II Controlled Substance. They were also charged with possessing with intent to distribute in excess of 5 grams of a mixture or substance containing a detectable amount of Cocaine Base (crack cocaine), a Schedule II Controlled Substance.

Sooner head coach Bob Stoops was unable for comment, but the office of athetic director Joe Castiglione said athletic department policy is not to comment on ongoing criminal investigations.

Posted on 7/9 5:44 PM | IP: Logged

Chibecca

Post #2428
SA
MyFanPage
Add Buddy Re: Sam Bradford arrested? Reply

royalfan5
7/10/2008, 09:03 AM
This is why I try to associate myself mostly with the NU Men's Basketball, and Women's Volleyball programs.

olevetonahill
7/10/2008, 09:16 AM
Part of me can't understand how a guy his age could be such a dumb ***. Then I think of some of the "jokes" we put on this web site, and realize one of us could have done the same thing, I suppose.
(A guy his age really has a "fanboy" web site?)

What I was thinkin Doc . there have been some pretty funny threads and Jokes pulled here
I may have a twisted sense of Humor But I LOL when I read the storey :eek:

Collier11
7/10/2008, 09:26 AM
IMHO it is one thing to make a joke at the expense of anyone, but to pose it as a factual news story and then have it broadcasted over different radio stations as fact is where it crosses the line. If it had never left the message board it might have been ok or if he had posed it as a rumor

olevetonahill
7/10/2008, 09:34 AM
I may have read it wrong (dont think so ) But I think he posted the Linky thing On A huskers site and a Bunch of Yahoos Copied and Pasted it to other Sites . I dont think the cornhole dude spread It , Again I may be wrong . The ones at Fault In MHO are the Radio Stations themselves For Not checking Before they spread it.
Hell when I 1st read it, I Knew it was a Joke and I aint the sharpest knive in the drawer .
Just sayin

badger
7/10/2008, 09:34 AM
Ok, just for future fyi - freedom of speech, the first amendment does NOT mean that you can say or write whatever you want, just like freedoms this country grants its citizens does not mean you can do whatever you want.

Landry Jones and Sam Bradford are public figures, yes. However, take these two cases into example:

1. Sports Illustrated reporting that former Bammer coach Mike Price hired prostitutes off a university credit card, complete with lines "Roll, Tide, Roll! Oh, it's rolling, baby!"

2. Tom Cruise, according to British tabloid, Express newspaper and Nicole Kidman's marriage was a sham, designed to cover up their homosexuality.

Both Mike Price and the ex-couple Kidman/Cruise are definitely public figures, to a greater extent than the likes of Bradford and Jones. Unfortunately, there is another part of "freedom of speech" and libel that doesn't mean you can say whatever you want about public figures: everyone has a right to a livelihood.

By saying Mike Price mingled with prostitutes and on the university's dime is a statement that could threaten his future earnings ability as a professional, college, whatever football coach. By saying Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman are gay, this could threaten their livelihoods as an actor and actress. Think of all the romance movies Tom Cruise has been in. Would you take Cruise seriously in screen roles with females if he was gay?

Tom Cruise/Nicole Kidman aftermath (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/203779.stm)

Mike Price/SI aftermath (http://thesettlementchannel.squarespace.com/the-settlement-channel-blog/2005/10/11/coach-mike-price-settles-defamation-case-with-sports-illustrated.html)

A felony, which is what cocaine distribution is, would definitely constitute a threat against Bradford's and Jones' future earnings ability. Think of all the jobs you can't get if you're a felon. While professional football is not one of these jobs that felonies limit (look at all arrest felons that are in the league today), if Bradford and Jones go on to do anything besides sports (which the NCAA reminds you that "Most of us will go professional in something other than sports!" each ad break during the Final Four), this will damage their lifelong livelihood. Not simply an innocent mistake, people.

Now, what about the Oklahoman (insert joke about "Daily Disappointment" here, haha, come up with something new, we all have heard that one, end of joke) here. The writer's name in the fake story was a real reporter at that newspaper. He lifted the site's template right off the page. It was so legit looking that they reported the story as fact on two radio stations (there goes the anti-libel argument that it wasn't seen by a large audience).

OU fans everywhere take note - we have many long rivalries and many "hated" opponents, but your freedoms do not entitle you to do, say and write whatever you want. I personally am rooting for the lawsuit. There has to be a precedent set here and now that this is not OK. If Lid the Whorn Lidig8r is here, I would love his legal take on this issue.

Collier11
7/10/2008, 10:01 AM
I may have read it wrong (dont think so ) But I think he posted the Linky thing On A huskers site and a Bunch of Yahoos Copied and Pasted it to other Sites . I dont think the cornhole dude spread It , Again I may be wrong . The ones at Fault In MHO are the Radio Stations themselves For Not checking Before they spread it.
Hell when I 1st read it, I Knew it was a Joke and I aint the sharpest knive in the drawer .
Just sayin

Yea but it was presented as a DOK article, not just him saying something stupid, then it was spread by other posters and eventually hit the airwaves.

kevpks
7/10/2008, 10:25 AM
Sooner head coach Bob Stoops was unable for comment,

I love that clause. That should have tipped us off right there. I mean I know it was masked as a DOK article, but their grammar isn't that poor. I will be unable with comments for a long time on this one.

As for his punishment, I think we need a clever judge here. "I sentence you to five more years of Coach Callahan."

olevetonahill
7/10/2008, 10:29 AM
I dont know , Hell I knew it was a Hoax frome the start. And Like I said I aint the sharpest Knive :O

badger
7/10/2008, 10:31 AM
Here is a longer version of the story (which I remind you, is NOT TRUE) which is still up on another sports site:

Police responding to reports of a loud party Tuesday night near Elmwood Drive and South Pickard in Norman discovered a large bag of what was later identified as cocaine. The three suspects arrested at the site included two Sooner quarterbacks, standout sophomore Sam Bradford and promising freshman Landry Jones.

Norman police spokesperson Captain Jeffrey Becker said Wednesday that the quantity of cocaine involved would lead to a charge of Possession with Intent to Distribute Cocaine and Possession with Intent to Distribute Cocaine Base (Crack Cocaine).

The defendants allegedly possessed with intent to distribute in excess of 5 kilograms of a mixture or substance containing a detectable amount of Cocaine, a Schedule II Controlled Substance. They were also charged with possessing with intent to distribute in excess of 5 grams of a mixture or substance containing a detectable amount of Cocaine Base (crack cocaine), a Schedule II Controlled Substance.

Sooner head coach Bob Stoops was unable for comment, but the office of athetic director Joe Castiglione said athletic department policy is not to comment on ongoing criminal investigations.

Bradford, a star QB from Putnam City North high school, was expected to appear in court today, according to a member of his family who requested they not be identified.

The attorney representing Landry Jones said that a motion had been filed to allow his family to arrive from Artesia, NM tomorrow.

If Bradford and and Jones are unable to compete next fall, it would leave senior Joey Halzle as the likely starter. This would place immense pressure on the offensive staff.

This is the fourth arrest of Sooner athletes in the last month. Senior Manual Johnson was arrested in June after witnesses saw him carry a concealed handgun to a rally at Coolidge Elemenary School. Reserve senior defensive linemen Alan Davis and Cory Bennett were also arrested after an alleged carjacking incident at Lake Thunderbird over the July 4th holiday weekend.

Under Bob Stoops the Sooners have had a number of high-profile athletes arrested. Normally the matters are handled internally by the coaching staff. Criticism has been voiced by watchdog groups that claim arresting officers were later given season ticket packages to Sooner Football in exchange for altered testimony. These allegations have been denied by all sides.

Normally success on the field has been followed by arrests off it for the Sooners. Booster groups expressed hope that these incidents were an indication that the team was going to have an excellent year.

This version makes it look more fake, but still, not cool.

And yes, the penalty should include at least five more years of Callahan for this particular fan. Perhaps they can be roommates in Austin? Keep Austin weird...

soonerboomer93
7/10/2008, 10:40 AM
Here is a copy of the false "story" as it appeared.

By Jake Trotter
OU Insider Police responding to reports of a loud party Tuesday night near Elmwood Drive and South Pickard

yeah, if the address didn't clue someone in, then well, the first 3 words in the "article" should have.

badger
7/10/2008, 10:41 AM
yeah, if the address didn't clue someone in, then well, the first 3 words in the "article" should have.

The real version of the really fake story is the one I posted above, which does not include the words "OU Insider"

TexasLidig8r
7/10/2008, 11:13 AM
The Weaver v. Pryor Jeffersonian case will not constitute precedence for this matter since it is an Oklahoma state court decision. In all likelihood, any lawsuit would be brought in either federal or state court in Travis County (Austin) where the defendant (the blogger) currently resides.

However, there is some compelling language in Weaver though which a Texas court could adopt.

First, there is very little doubt that the language used constitutes libel per se. A false accusation of the commission of a crime is one of the categories that is looked upon as so egregious, that the mere statement itself is presumed to cause damages without the necessity of proving damages.

Having established that, the next question becomes whether Bradford and Jones are "public figures" or "private figures." This is important because it establishes the burden the plaintiff needs to meet to be able to recover. If they are private figures, a plaintiff need only prove the statements were made negligently. If however, they are public figures, a plaintiff nees to prove the statements were made maliciously. I believe the court will hold they are public figures. Do they occupy a position of special prominence on a public issue? One can certainly argue that being the quarterback of the flagship school of Oklahoma, granting interviews and the like, elevates one to that status.

Therefore, the question becomes, did the blogger maliciously publish the article? His main defense has to be that in context, it was meant and understood to be, merely satire. He will attempt to show that the statements, in the context of the article were so outrageous that they are not fairly susceptible of having a defamatory meaning because no reasonable person would have believed the article. This defense will be problematic at best, but it is the best avenue for his legal counsel to take.

Now, will the media outlets have exposure? Again, if Bradford/Jones are looked upon as public figures, they will have to show the media outlets published the article maliciously. Certainly, there is a strong question as to whether the media outlets were negligent in not conducting an investigation (for that matter, did they conduct one?) before publishing, but negligence won't get you there unless Bradford/Jones are determined to be private figures.

If I'm the mouthpiece for Bradford/Jones, I approach the media outlets, advice them a lawsuit is coming down the pike and push a settlement. Emphasize that rumors like that could impact their ability to make money in the NFL, since even the smallest hint of wrongdoing results in players dropping in the draft... try to sell that they are private figures and as such, only negligence will need to be proven... and squeeze them for $100k.

Then, go after the blogger (who will probably be judgment proof anyway). You will get a judgment against him that you won't be able to collect on, but you would have proven your point AND gotten some monetary relief in.

The only thing for certain is.... some of my brothers of the bar are going to make some moolah off of this.

KingDavid
7/10/2008, 11:16 AM
Wow. That dude is going down hard. I feel sorry for him because it really was a pretty good prank that apparently just go out of hand. That's what the internet can do now - wild-fire in a matter of seconds.

Well, I hope the dude gets his hands slapped pretty hard. I hope the hammer falls hard and swift on the media outlets who reported it without verifying the story.

Somebody is going to lose a job over this, I'll bet . . . at least.

Collier11
7/10/2008, 11:20 AM
I love that clause. That should have tipped us off right there. I mean I know it was masked as a DOK article, but their grammar isn't that poor. I will be unable with comments for a long time on this one.

Its the DOK, nothing is impossible

Collier11
7/10/2008, 11:26 AM
I am getting so irritated and tired of news outlets airing or printing stuff as fact before checking it. IF this was broadcast over the airwaves that is very gross negligence and should be punished harshly. Now for the guy, he is a mega idiot and I hope he gets in trouble but I certainly dont want his life ruined, just made a little uncomfortable for a while.

KingDavid
7/10/2008, 11:33 AM
Anybody know how to reach this guy? Please don't post it publicly. Send me a PM. I live down here and seriously want to go drop off a six pack of beer and wish him luck. Poor Corn-holer is going to need it!

olevetonahill
7/10/2008, 11:40 AM
Anybody know how to reach this guy? Please don't post it publicly. Send me a PM. I live down here and seriously want to go drop off a six pack of beer and wish him luck. Poor Corn-holer is going to need it!

I bet the guy is doing a News anchor right Now :D

sooner94
7/10/2008, 11:41 AM
"Senior Manual Johnson was arrested in June after witnesses saw him carry a concealed handgun to a rally at Coolidge Elemenary School."

Jesus, Mary and Joseph that made me laugh!! Feel bad for Manual having his name attached to that, since he's been a great kid at OU. But taking a concealed weapon to a elementary school rally?!?!?! Who comes up with that stuff?

I have been a fan of Landry Jones (caught one of his HS games on Fox Sports- yes, he is a badass in case you were wondering), and now I'm a fan of is dad. Love that quote. Translation- "I'm not going to just open a can of whoopass on him, I going to open a WHOLE CASE!" Go Kevin Jones!

GrapevineSooner
7/10/2008, 11:43 AM
Landry Jones' dad is not happy (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/071108dnspocolfbokla.18abd83.html).

badger
7/10/2008, 11:44 AM
Thanks Lid. Some people on NewsOk.com's ever-entertainin' comment section have referenced Hustler vs. Falwell. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hustler_Magazine_v._Falwell) Think it holds any precedent here?

NYC Poke
7/10/2008, 11:45 AM
I am getting so irritated and tired of news outlets airing or printing stuff as fact before checking it. IF this was broadcast over the airwaves that is very gross negligence and should be punished harshly.

I'll one-up you and say that it constitutes malice. All it would take is two minutes for the radio stations to verify the arrests with the Norman police department.

As for the lawsuits, it could get messier than what some here have suggested. The DOK and the named "reporter" will probably go after this guy under dilution and similar theories. They'll have difficulty showing actual damages, since the hoax was exposed pretty quickly and the only people who bought it in the first place were a couple of idiot radio stations, but I suspect there are statutory damages allowed for these types of violations.

Likewise, Landry and Bradford may not have much in the way of actual damages, but punis in a case like this have got to be good.

KingDavid
7/10/2008, 11:46 AM

Never mind. I found it. I'll report back if I make the connection. He's probably already made it across the border, by now.

NYC Poke
7/10/2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks Lid. Some people on NewsOk.com's ever-entertainin' comment section have referenced Hustler vs. Falwell. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hustler_Magazine_v._Falwell) Think it holds any precedent here?

Was the cocaine party in an outhouse?

LosAngelesSooner
7/10/2008, 01:07 PM
I get it that Bradford is a "public figure," but Landry? He's only a "public figure" to college football geeks like us.

As it is, he's just an early enrollee college freshman from New Mexico who MAY get some playing time for Oklahoma but will probably redshirt. He's never played a down of college football. He's never given an interview. He's not a "public figure" yet. Yet...

virginiasooner
7/10/2008, 01:20 PM
Badger, Hustler v. Falwell holds no precedent in this case. If I remember correctly, that case involved a parody of the whiskey ad series that asked famous people about their "first time" drinking the whiskey, and the Hustler parody was Falwell's "first time" was in an outhouse with a female relative. Tasteless yes. Libelous no.

sshusker
7/10/2008, 01:32 PM
Wow. That dude is going down hard. I feel sorry for him because it really was a pretty good prank that apparently just go out of hand. That's what the internet can do now - wild-fire in a matter of seconds.

Well, I hope the dude gets his hands slapped pretty hard. I hope the hammer falls hard and swift on the media outlets who reported it without verifying the story.

Somebody is going to lose a job over this, I'll bet . . . at least.

It may have been funny if he would have used ficticious names instead of real players. Unfortunetly for him he may be in real trouble and probably deserves it.

LePetomaine
7/10/2008, 01:39 PM
I would argue that neither player is a "public figure". The law allows a certain amount of leeway in criticism of persons who seek a public platform (politicians, entertainers, professional athletes who are arguably paid by public ticket purchasers). A college athlete, an amatuer, can simply state "I do not seek any public spotlight. I just want to pay for my education and play a game I enjoy at the same time." Also, how about intentional infliction of emotional distress? The damage model may not be very large, but a riled up jury could perform a stout cash-ectomy for that kind of behavior.

Collier11
7/10/2008, 01:46 PM
I would argue that neither player is a "public figure". The law allows a certain amount of leeway in criticism of persons who seek a public platform (politicians, entertainers, professional athletes who are arguably paid by public ticket purchasers). A college athlete, an amatuer, can simply state "I do not seek any public spotlight. I just want to pay for my education and play a game I enjoy at the same time." Also, how about intentional infliction of emotional distress? The damage model may not be very large, but a riled up jury could perform a stout cash-ectomy for that kind of behavior.

Bad Argument, this is not criticism it is pure malicious slander. Its not like he called bradford a bad qb, he faked a news story saying he is a coke dealer.

SbOrOiNaEnR
7/10/2008, 01:55 PM
http://www.newsok.tv/?titleID=1659857642

Anyone want to storm The Oklahoman offices at dawn? I'll bring pitchforks and torches!

Really? No more redeeming qualities than a porn site? Don't worry SoonerFans, I still love you!

badger
7/10/2008, 02:07 PM
http://www.newsok.tv/?titleID=1659857642

Anyone want to storm The Oklahoman offices at dawn? I'll bring pitchforks and torches!

Really? No more redeeming qualities than a porn site? Don't worry SoonerFans, I still love you!

Translation of Trammel:

"And it's society's fault because..."

:rolleyes:

NYC Poke
7/10/2008, 02:20 PM
Badger, Hustler v. Falwell holds no precedent in this case. If I remember correctly, that case involved a parody of the whiskey ad series that asked famous people about their "first time" drinking the whiskey, and the Hustler parody was Falwell's "first time" was in an outhouse with a female relative. Tasteless yes. Libelous no.

The context was important for the Hustler ad parody, which clearly could not be taken seriously, stated that it was a parody at the bottom, and was listed in the TOC as "fiction." That is not the situation here.

As far as the public figure issue goes, I'm no Rockin' Rodney Smolla, but I'd guess that Bradford and Landry are both "limited public figures," meaning stuff about their football careers would require actual malice for liability, while stuff about their private lives would not. I suspect some here know more about this than me, and if so, I wouldn't mind being set straight about this.

Sooner Eclipse
7/10/2008, 02:35 PM
In other words; "Don't get your baseless, senseless, uninformed drivel from anonymous posters. Get it from good ole Berry. Im a professional and would never say anything stupid or senseless." :rolleyes:

His jackassery never ceases to amaze me. They should put a mirror behind him before they video him. That way we can see him talking out both mouths at once.

badger
7/10/2008, 02:44 PM
In other words; "Don't get your baseless, senseless, uninformed drivel from anonymous posters. Get it from good ole Berry. Im a professional and would never say anything stupid or senseless." :rolleyes:

His jackassery never ceases to amaze me. They should put a mirror behind him before they video him. That way we can see him talking out both mouths at once.

This is Barry reminding you to not read SoonerFans.com.
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/629/barryku8.png
I repeat, do NOT read SoonerFans.com.

Why are you still reading SoonerFans.com?

STOP reading!

:mad: I have my angry face on.

ousoonerfan
7/10/2008, 02:50 PM
Hey Trammel,

David Bowie called from 1982, he wants his haircut back.

snp
7/10/2008, 02:57 PM
I agree with Trammel, porn is way better than message boards :cool:

This means war.

Farkers, to your battle stations.

It is now a two-front war.

Animal Mother
7/10/2008, 03:09 PM
Trammel looks like Brother Theodore from back in the day on Late Nite with Letterman.

47straight
7/10/2008, 03:47 PM
Now, will the media outlets have exposure? Again, if Bradford/Jones are looked upon as public figures, they will have to show the media outlets published the article maliciously. Certainly, there is a strong question as to whether the media outlets were negligent in not conducting an investigation (for that matter, did they conduct one?) before publishing, but negligence won't get you there unless Bradford/Jones are determined to be private figures.

If I'm the mouthpiece for Bradford/Jones, I approach the media outlets, advice them a lawsuit is coming down the pike and push a settlement. Emphasize that rumors like that could impact their ability to make money in the NFL, since even the smallest hint of wrongdoing results in players dropping in the draft... try to sell that they are private figures and as such, only negligence will need to be proven... and squeeze them for $100k.

The only thing for certain is.... some of my brothers of the bar are going to make some moolah off of this.

You've neglected to mention the deepest pocket involved, the University of Texas at Austin. Our "nebraska fan" is actually a UT employee, and based on the timing of everything, probably committed the act while on the clock at UT. It furthered UT's interests, for sure, and he's probably had a history of innernets smack talking on the clock.

A little discovery's all that's needed to find the requisite notice and then it's cha-ching.

In fact, why am I typing this? I've got to call Artesia.

OUDoc
7/10/2008, 03:52 PM
Is this from the same paper that had that stupid "Sound Off" section in the sports a few years ago? How was that any different?

OUDoc
7/10/2008, 03:53 PM
You've neglected to mention the deepest pocket involved, the University of Texas at Austin. Our "nebraska fan" is actually a UT employee, and based on the timing of everything, probably committed the act while on the clock at UT. It furthered UT's interests, for sure, and he's probably had a history of innernets smack talking on the clock.

A little discovery's all that's needed to find the requisite notice and then it's cha-ching.

So you're saying he should have his nuts crushed? ;)

Theskipster
7/10/2008, 03:58 PM
I agree with Trammel, porn is way better than message boards :cool:

Somehow I always knew Trammel wouldn't find any redeeming qualities in a naked woman.

Bone
7/10/2008, 04:27 PM
1. Sorry about creating the duplicate thread.

2. I can't believe Barry actually posted that video. What a moron.

cjames317
7/10/2008, 04:29 PM
There are "all-purpose" public figures, e.g. Roger Clemens, the King, Paris, etc., who have achieved such pervasive fame/notoriety that they are public figures for all purposes, thus any statement must be shown to be malicious to be actionable. Neither Bradford nor Jones are that known and do not fall into that category.

"Limited-purpose" public figures are those people that become known as a result of a particular public controversy, e.g. participants in the Branch Davidian controversy, the Gloucester, Mass pregnancy pact girls. If the alleged defamation relates to the controversy, then malice must be shown to be actionable. If it relates to something unrelated to the controversy, there is no malice requirement. Since Bradford and Jones were not involved in any public controversy, they do not fall into that category.

So, Bradford and Jones need not show malice. They need not show that Conradt was negligent because he is not a media defendant. They've already got enough to recover against Conradt because of his admissions. They need only show the negligence of the the media defendant radio stations to recover from them.

TexasLidig8r
7/10/2008, 04:47 PM

You've overlooked one slight detail....

The King Can Do No Wrong.. also known as...

Sovereign Immunity.

Take off your "I really, really, really hate UT glasses" ;)

OUDoc
7/10/2008, 04:52 PM
This is Barry reminding you to not read SoonerFans.com.
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/629/barryku8.png
I repeat, do NOT read SoonerFans.com.

Why are you still reading SoonerFans.com?

STOP reading!

:mad: I have my angry face on.

What did she say? Barry said I should get a life and not read badger's posts.

cjames317
7/10/2008, 05:15 PM
"The King can do no wrong." TexasLidig8r, July 10, 2008.

Glad to hear that you experienced what alcoholics refer to as a moment of clarity.

bringit
7/10/2008, 05:27 PM
Here is your purp:

a real badass in burnt orange and a pu$$y in his lap :eek:

http://journalstar.com/content/articles/2005/01/09/huskerextra/doc41e0c7aa80e47840334632.jpg

boomersooner28
7/10/2008, 05:28 PM
Dear Mr. Trammel,

You can kiss my Crimson Red ***! Have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Boomersooner28

Soonerfans.com poster

tommieharris91
7/10/2008, 05:52 PM
"Bullfeathers" might hafta go right alongside "dickwheel".

olevetonahill
7/10/2008, 06:11 PM
I cant get the Vid to load someone give me a Play by play

KingDavid
7/10/2008, 06:13 PM

Wow. Poor fool.

KingDavid
7/10/2008, 06:20 PM
I cant get the Vid to load someone give me a Play by play

I would love to help you, Oleve, but I would be making myself an accomplice to Conradt's tom-foolery if I participated an further on this message board, or any other for that matter.:D

Well, I suppose it's time to say "farewell" to all you fellow Sooners. Time to hang it up. Abandon ship. Take responsibility. Move forward. Hoe a new road.

You may not here from me for a long, long time.

KingDavid
7/10/2008, 06:21 PM
I would love to help you, Oleve, but I would be making myself an accomplice to Conradt's tom-foolery if I participated an further on this message board, or any other for that matter.:D

Well, I suppose it's time to say "farewell" to all you fellow Sooners. Time to hang it up. Abandon ship. Take responsibility. Move forward. Hoe a new road.

OK. I'm back. Damn, I missed you guys. But you know, sometimes you gotta take a stand for something.

I hope everyone understands.

tommieharris91
7/10/2008, 06:25 PM

Just to be clear. After a year of mostly positive experience, in which I had decided to become an Elite Sponsor, I started the Hollis Board, I had a 46,000 spek rating based on real spek not betting over two season and 1500 posts, in the last four weeks I can see this board is a place I don't want to be or patronize. There are two other boards which I believe have at least equivalent football knowledge without the abusive environment. I am taking my business elsewhere.

John W. Helander
President & CEO
GrayBox Services Ltd. &
eState Auction House Ltd.

JLEW1818
7/10/2008, 07:03 PM
Jeepers Tommie, don't leave us.

badger
7/10/2008, 07:22 PM
What did she say? Barry said I should get a life and not read badger's posts.

Ehhh.... there's another that's added me to his ignore list. :(:(:(

;)

Curly Bill
7/10/2008, 07:33 PM

Hoe a new road...hehehe

olevetonahill
7/10/2008, 07:33 PM

I just wanta Know WTF Trammel said .
Fess up Bitches.

Frozen Sooner
7/10/2008, 07:43 PM
Man, how the hell does someone in a henley shirt with a blazer over the top get off calling anyone a dweeb?

Hey, this one time a guy ran a fake story on the radio. We should all stop listening to radio.

Outopia
7/10/2008, 07:44 PM
Hoe a new road...hehehe

I am pretty sure it is "row" and not "road", refering to the agricultural endeavor to take out weeds in a field. The hoe is used to chop weeds in the rows of the fields. It's hard work, thus the expression "you have a tough row to hoe". I think this is also called "Chopping cotton" when used in this context. Help me out here OSU aggie types. One would hope you guys could verify. I am no farmer, but I think this is correct.

olevetonahill
7/10/2008, 07:49 PM
I am pretty sure it is "row" and not "road", refering to the agricultural endeavor to take out weeds in a field. The hoe is used to chop weeds in the rows of the fields. It's hard work, thus the expression "you have a tough row to hoe". I think this is also called "Chopping cotton" when used in this context. Help me out here OSU aggie types. One would hope you guys could verify. I am no farmer, but I think this is correct.

nOOb , we take Poetic License here! ;)

Curly Bill
7/10/2008, 07:55 PM

I know all about the expression...

...I just like that he said: hoe

olevetonahill
7/10/2008, 07:58 PM
I know all about the expression...

...I just like that he said: hoe

****ing nOObs :D

olevetonahill
7/10/2008, 07:59 PM

your Gonna " Row a New road " That dont make any sense :confused:

Curly Bill
7/10/2008, 08:03 PM
Hows about roading a new hoe?

AlbqSooner
7/10/2008, 08:08 PM

I once rode an old hoe. Does that count?

Curly Bill
7/10/2008, 08:09 PM

If you're willing to fess up to it, it counts. :D

olevetonahill
7/10/2008, 08:11 PM

But I nevar had 2 to rode at the same time !:mad:

Curly Bill
7/10/2008, 08:14 PM
But I nevar had 2 to rode at the same time !:mad:

You'll have to win the lottery. :D

olevetonahill
7/10/2008, 08:15 PM

depends On how sharp that Hoe is and How Much you can Pimp er fer .

AlbqSooner
7/10/2008, 08:17 PM
The Weaver v. Pryor Jeffersonian case will not constitute precedence for this matter since it is an Oklahoma state court decision. In all likelihood, any lawsuit would be brought in either federal or state court in Travis County (Austin) where the defendant (the blogger) currently resides.

However, there is some compelling language in Weaver though which a Texas court could adopt.

Blogger a resident of Texas, Radio station a Texas Corporation, Bradford a resident of Oklahoma, Landry a resident of Oklahoma. Complete diversity of citizenship. Therefore, bring the case in Federal Court where all the defendants reside, where all the plaintiffs reside or where the cause of action arose, at the option of the Plaintiffs. All the plaintiffs reside in Oklahoma, hence, bring it in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma - located in OKC. Much more sympathetic jury. The Federal judge would then look to state substantive law and could indeed apply the Weaver vs Pryor Jeffersonian holding. ;)

As far as malice, I see no way a jury could find otherwise on these facts and you MIGHT be able to dispose of that issue by summary judgment.

olevetonahill
7/10/2008, 08:17 PM
You'll have to win the lottery. :D

Hell at My age Itd Kill me to have to row two Roads . :eek:

Curly Bill
7/10/2008, 08:22 PM
Hell at My age Itd Kill me to have to row two Roads . :eek:

Well...we all gotta die of something....and there are worse ways to go. :P

olevetonahill
7/10/2008, 08:23 PM
Well...we all gotta die of something....and there are worse ways to go. :P

tru dat TRU dat :hot: :pop:

swardboy
7/10/2008, 08:34 PM
Just to be clear. After a year of mostly positive experience, in which I had decided to become an Elite Sponsor, I started the Hollis Board, I had a 46,000 spek rating based on real spek not betting over two season and 1500 posts, in the last four weeks I can see this board is a place I don't want to be or patronize. There are two other boards which I believe have at least equivalent football knowledge without the abusive environment. I am taking my business elsewhere.

John W. Helander
President & CEO
GrayBox Services Ltd. &
eState Auction House Ltd.

It never gets old......:D

olevetonahill
7/10/2008, 08:43 PM
It never gets old......:D

Its all good as Long as we Keep the Thread Jacked :D

winnard
7/10/2008, 08:45 PM
Hey Trammel,

David Bowie called from 1982, he wants his haircut back.

HAHAHA!!! I'm crying tears from this! Great!

Curly Bill
7/10/2008, 08:46 PM
Without going back and looking I don't rememer what the thread was originally about. For reals...

tulsaoilerfan
7/10/2008, 09:47 PM
Wow, not a good decision on his part. I hope he does face some sort of consequence.

Me too; the guy didn't mean to hurt anyone? What the **** was he thinking? What a total jackass, and he should be arrested for doing this. :mad:

olevetonahill
7/10/2008, 10:20 PM
Me too; the guy didn't mean to hurt anyone? What the **** was he thinking? What a total jackass, and he should be arrested for doing this. :mad:

I think we established that he was trying to Row a Hoe . Or Row a road , Or some shat .

Collier11
7/10/2008, 11:43 PM
SB on coke to rowin hoes, I love it!!!!!!!

olevetonahill
7/10/2008, 11:46 PM
SB on coke to rowin hoes, I love it!!!!!!!

I alus like a cold drink when Im thru wit the Hoes:D

Collier11
7/10/2008, 11:55 PM
I alus like a cold drink when Im thru wit the Hoes:D

sometimes you even "line" them up :D

olevetonahill
7/10/2008, 11:57 PM
sometimes you even "line" them up :D

only if I gots the proper Mirror .

KingBarry
7/11/2008, 01:17 AM
I'll one-up you and say that it constitutes malice. All it would take is two minutes for the radio stations to verify the arrests with the Norman police department.

I'll one-up you and say that it only takes two minutes to check the Oklahoman's actual website. You don't need to do police interviews, when the article isn't there, you don't run with the story.

soonerboomer93
7/11/2008, 03:41 AM
Without going back and looking I don't rememer what the thread was originally about. For reals...

isn't this about how barry hoe'd his own road routinely because well...

frankly, Jenni is better then he is...

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/11/2008, 03:41 AM
Well, the dude obviously put a little time and effort into his prank. Otherwise, how would he have known real residential street names and the real name of an elementary school?

To me this goes further than a message board prank, thankyouverymuchberrytramel. Attaching a real reporter's name along with the logo from a real news website is automatically going to give a story legs.

I do cast some blame on the news outlets in tx who didn't fact check before running the story.

This will be an interesting one to watch if The Oklahoman gets their legal team involved.

olevetonahill
7/11/2008, 03:44 AM
Trammel Hoed fer a living ?
Ill be damned

Collier11
7/11/2008, 08:36 AM
Trammel Hoed fer a living ?
Ill be damned

NO NO NO, he was Hoed...By a Gaylord!

badger
7/11/2008, 08:50 AM
I just wanta Know WTF Trammel said .
Fess up Bitches.

Here.... in haz cheezburger format:
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/4245/berry1ov7.jpg
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8341/berry2bp0.jpg
http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/7708/berry3fd1.jpg
http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/8325/berry4ky9.jpg

virginiasooner
7/11/2008, 03:08 PM
NO NO NO, he was Hoed...By a Gaylord!

GAK! I don't need that picture in my brain on a Friday afternoon!

fossil
7/11/2008, 03:23 PM
:rolleyes: This comment in the fake piece would have made me suspicious;

"Sooner head coach Bob Stoops was unable for comment". Methinks he meant 'unavailable'!

olevetonahill
7/11/2008, 09:06 PM
:rolleyes: This comment in the fake piece would have made me suspicious;

"Sooner head coach Bob Stoops was unable for comment". Methinks he meant 'unavailable'!

I thot it was Bob Stoops couldn't Hoe that road ?

JLB
7/12/2008, 02:06 AM
I hope this Ahole and Whorn radio stations get sued hard.I also hope some Soonerfan tries to cut this guys balls off in some random bar in the near future.

Collier11
7/12/2008, 05:58 PM
I also hope some Soonerfan tries to cut this guys balls off in some random bar in the near future.

That would never happen :rolleyes:

OK2LA
7/13/2008, 07:51 PM
"It's kind of a hierarchy, you know. The more people give their insider info that turns out to be true, the more they build their credibility. I'm not one of those people," :) said James Conradt, aka DarthHusker. "It's funny. New people come along all the time and are naive and believe too much of what they read. A lot of people just post stuff to stir the pot.":)

http://journalstar.com/articles/2005/01/09/huskerextra/doc41e0c7aa80e47840334632.txt

"I think anonymity brings out the worst in people," Conradt said. "There are no consequences for saying what you say. I think that's probably where the whole concept of flaming comes from. They probably didn't have that in the old days around the coffee pot at work, the profanity-laced, ultra-negative outbursts."

Boomer Mooner
7/13/2008, 08:47 PM
I hope this Ahole and Whorn radio stations get sued hard.I also hope some Soonerfan tries to cut this guys balls off in some random bar in the near future.

That would never happen :rolleyes:

There's no cutting involved. I believe the good deacon just pulled'em boys loose.:texan:

tommieharris91
7/14/2008, 12:48 AM

He'd be just like bevo. :eek:

NYC Poke
7/16/2008, 04:03 PM
The Oklahoman has filed suit.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/58014

NYC Poke
7/16/2008, 04:12 PM
The Oklahoman has filed suit.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/58014

The Complaint is here: http://downloads.newsok.com/documents/y14complaintex.pdf

bringit
7/16/2008, 08:58 PM
fo reazzile?

that's like sooo tuesday

tommieharris91
7/16/2008, 09:46 PM
fo reazzile?

that's like sooo tuesday

Your avatar is sooo... I can't take my eyes off of it.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
7/17/2008, 12:22 AM
Your avatar is sooo... I can't take my eyes off of it.

Cleavalicious?

English major. Adjectives are my specialty. ;)

olevetonahill
7/17/2008, 12:36 AM
Cleavalicious?

I just like staring at the Word OKLA HOMA :D

tommieharris91
7/17/2008, 12:44 AM
I just like staring at the Word OKLA HOMA :D

So you're cross-eyed?

tommieharris91
7/17/2008, 12:47 AM
Cleavalicious?

Eye-catching, noteworthy...

It makes my hips undulate...

I think...

olevetonahill
7/17/2008, 01:11 AM
So you're cross-eyed?

Am Now

Crucifax Autumn
7/17/2008, 02:32 AM
The guy's an idiot...jokes are all good, but ripping a template and posting slander as real with no indication of the satire it may have been is harmful to good kids.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/17/2008, 06:53 AM
http://downloads.newsok.com/documents/y14complaintex.pdf

deweydw
7/17/2008, 02:14 PM
Saw this in the Houston Chronicle. They are getting desperate...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/5892191.html

July 16, 2008, 11:57PM
Newsmakers
Nebraska fan sued
Oklahoman seeks damages from man who put false info on message board

Chronicle News Services

The publisher of Oklahoma's largest newspaper and one of its sportswriters have sued a University of Texas employee who admitted posting a bogus article on the Internet about two University of Oklahoma football players.

The Oklahoma Publishing Co., which publishes the Oklahoman newspaper and newsok.com Web site, filed a civil lawsuit Monday against James W. Conradt, a Nebraska football fan who works as a service manager for UT's information technology department.

The 10-count civil lawsuit accuses Conradt of libel, copyright violations and trademark infringements. It seeks unspecified financial damages, according to the Oklahoman.

Conradt, 36, used a template from the newspaper's Web site to publish a fake article on July 9 that stated OU quarterbacks Sam Bradford and Landry Jones had been arrested for intent to distribute cocaine, the lawsuit alleges.

Conradt allegedly put a link to the article on his Web site and an online message board.

The lawsuit claims Conradt used sportswriter Jake Trotter's byline and trademarks for the appearance of legitimacy.

deweydw
7/17/2008, 02:23 PM
Sorry for the repost.. didn't see this thread...

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115460&page=7

tommieharris91
7/17/2008, 02:45 PM
I don't think it is desperation at all. What the guy did was fraudulent, and I think the Oklahoman has a pretty solid case against him.

cjames317
7/17/2008, 03:21 PM
Cleavalicious?

How about decollete? The French invented cleavage, no?

TexasLidig8r
7/17/2008, 03:27 PM
I don't think it is desperation at all. What the guy did was fraudulent, and I think the Oklahoman has a pretty solid case against him.

We shall see. Some of the causes of action they pled are .. dubious at best.

If the case is transferred to Austin, that will present additional problems.

And, there's the issue of damages and whether the Okie fishwrapper wants to really open THAT can of worms.

cjames317
7/17/2008, 03:34 PM
If OPUBCo's suit ended up in Judge Nowlin's court, I don't like its chances. See this link about his order in deposition locale dispute between a Texas wrongful death plaintiff and Wal-Mart:
http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/06/06/0606texark.html

NYC Poke
7/17/2008, 03:54 PM
If OPUBCo's suit ended up in Judge Nowlin's court, I don't like its chances. See this link about his order in deposition locale dispute between a Texas wrongful death plaintiff and Wal-Mart:
http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/06/06/0606texark.html

That's good stuff.

TexasLidig8r
7/17/2008, 04:42 PM

I sent a copy of that Order to Judge Buchmeyer for inclusion in his monthly column "et cetera" in the Texas Bar Journal.

Classic opinion! :D

47straight
7/18/2008, 11:04 AM
And, there's the issue of damages and whether the Okie fishwrapper wants to really open THAT can of worms.

I tried to counsel you before, but you wouldn't listen.

17 USC Section 504
(c) Statutory Damages.

(1) Except as provided by clause (2) of this subsection, the copyright owner may elect, at any time before final judgment is rendered, to recover, instead of actual damages and profits, an award of statutory damages for all infringements involved in the action, with respect to any one work... in a sum of not less than $750 or more than $30,000 as the court considers just...

(2) In a case where the copyright owner sustains the burden of proving, and the court finds, that infringement was committed willfully, the court in its discretion may increase the award of statutory damages to a sum of not more than $150,000.

He may be judgment proof, though.