PDA

View Full Version : Here's your choices for our NBA team name

Crimson Kid
7/8/2008, 11:01 PM
Seems one of these will be our team name, there's cool photoshop pic of a player in what could be our team colors and name.

Go vote.

http://bumpshack.com/2008/05/14/vote-oklahoma-citys-nba-team-nickname/

OU-HSV
7/9/2008, 12:16 AM
The only name I halfway like on that list is Thunder

birddog
7/9/2008, 09:44 AM
well, i'm not sure how it happened because i've been opposed to it, and i know it's been used before but outlaws is now my favortite name.

BillyBall
7/9/2008, 10:06 AM
All of those names suck

starrca23
7/9/2008, 10:18 AM
I like Outlaws...
New Rule: When saying all potential names suck one must provide a suitable non-sucking replacement name.

soonermix
7/9/2008, 10:26 AM
I like Outlaws...
New Rule: When saying all potential names suck one must provide a suitable non-sucking replacement name.

i am not a big fan of any of those names. and since i didn't say they all suck and i am not clever enough to come up with a good name i will go to drunkytown soon and relay my choice for a non-sucking replacement name

bri
7/9/2008, 10:29 AM
If only there were a forum for general sports, where other sports that AREN'T Sooner basketball could be discussed. What would you call such a magical place, though?

BillyBall
7/9/2008, 10:51 AM
I like Outlaws...

I actually liked the 89'ers or Oilers more than anything else that has been suggested.

Oh yeah, Outlaws really sucks.

bri
7/9/2008, 11:17 AM
Nope, you can't have Oilers.

BillyBall
7/9/2008, 11:22 AM
Nope, you can't have Oilers.

Fair enough...

PhilTLL
7/9/2008, 12:21 PM
This is the Jokelahoman poll from 2 months ago. No one in Oklahoma below the rank of "ownership partner" gets a vote and none of these choices are guaranteed consideration.

CORNholio
7/9/2008, 06:42 PM
The loafers.

Isn't that what they do in the NBA for the first 3 quarters?

birddog
7/9/2008, 06:48 PM
The loafers.

Isn't that what they do in the NBA for the first 3 quarters?

seeminlgy. what you don't see is how much energy they burn squeaking thier shoes on the floor for audio enhancement.

tulsaoilerfan
7/9/2008, 06:58 PM
All of those names suck

I agree; Barons??????????WTF???????

tulsaoilerfan
7/9/2008, 06:59 PM
How about Roughnecks? I wouldn't mind seeing that nickname brought back from the past

bri
7/9/2008, 08:17 PM
I'm thinking all the oil-related names should stay where they belong, with the former Oil Capital Of The World. Plus, sh*t's gonna burn if these carpetbaggers steal the name of Oklahoma's original major league team. ;)

They can feel free to call themselves the OKC Blue Flames, tho.

tulsaoilerfan
7/9/2008, 11:34 PM
How about the Tokers?

kbsooner
7/10/2008, 12:03 PM
How about the OKC Energy

CORNholio
7/11/2008, 12:03 AM
I heard Stallions on the radio the other day. Not too bad.

tulsaoilerfan
7/11/2008, 09:05 AM
I heard Stallions on the radio the other day. Not too bad.

Don't like that myself

bri
7/11/2008, 10:40 AM
How about Wyld Stallyns?

badger
7/11/2008, 10:56 AM
More on it here:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/080709

I like Thunderbirds for its Native ties. It is also a cool name.

Outlaws has too many potentials for trouble when the players become outlaws (as the link described)

Barons is meh and a certain baseball team MJ played on a few years back (http://birmingham.barons.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t247)already has that name.

Oilers is associated with losing (thanks Houston)... and got dumped a decade ago for that very reason... that and the Tennessee thing.

Thunderbirds are go!

Partial Qualifier
7/11/2008, 11:22 AM
The only name I halfway like on that list is Thunder
same here.

How about the OKC Energy

I liked that suggestion best of all the "Implied plural" names...

You KNOW what the national perception of "Thunderbirds" is....

this, if you're over 40:

http://www.fordforum.com/models/thunderbird/images/1966-Ford-Thunderbird.jpg

or this, if you're under 40 ;) :

http://www.cheapfunwines.com/archives/pictures/thunderbird.jpg

CORNholio
7/12/2008, 01:13 AM
Anything but Barons would be nice. For pete's sake they should try not to make OKC sound like a bunch of yuppie doucebags. That's all we ask. Sports teams should carry some kind of intimidating connotation not overly try to be "sophisticated (ghey)". Could they go ahead and name this stupid thing already so I can come to terms with its retarded name and move on.

CORNholio
7/12/2008, 01:14 AM
Energy is also stolen from the d-league ranks.

SoonerKnight
7/12/2008, 04:47 AM
I like Thunder!

Quack 10
7/13/2008, 12:19 PM
The Okla-Homies

mfosterftw
7/13/2008, 01:18 PM
Ummm, is there a reason that the ONLY new listing in the US Trademark Office database filed by the new owners is for the Oklahoma City Supersonics?

Word Mark: OKLAHOMA CITY SUPERSONICS

Goods and Services: IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment and educational services in the nature of ongoing television and radio programs in the field of basketball and rendering live basketball games and basketball exhibitions; the production and distribution of radio and television shows featuring basketball games, basketball events and programs in the field of basketball; conducting and arranging basketball clinics and camps, coaches clinics and camps, dance team clinics and camps and basketball games; entertainment services in the nature of personal appearances by a costumed mascot or dance team at basketball games and exhibitions, clinics, camps, promotions, and other basketball-related events, special events and parties; fan club services; entertainment services, namely providing a website featuring multimedia material in the nature of television highlights, interactive television highlights, video recordings, video stream recordings, interactive video highlight selections, radio programs, radio highlights, and audio recordings in the field of basketball; providing news and information in the nature of statistics and trivia in the field of basketball; on-line non-downloadable games, namely, computer games, video games, interactive video games, action skill games, arcade games, adults' and children's party games, board games, puzzles, and trivia games; electronic publishing services, namely, publication of magazines, guides, newsletters, coloring books, and game schedules of others on-line through the Internet, all in the field of basketball; providing an online computer database in the field of basketball

Standard Characters Claimed:

Mark Drawing Code: (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK

Serial Number: 77516594

Filing Date: July 8, 2008

Current Filing Basis: 1B

Original Filing Basis: 1B

Owner: (APPLICANT) The Professional Basketball Club, LLC LTD LIAB CO OKLAHOMA 351 Elliot Ave., West Seattle WASHINGTON 98119

Attorney of Record: Anil V. George

Prior Registrations: 1084317;1831387;2799123;AND OTHERS (I checked and yes, these are the original Seattle SuperSonics marks)

Type of Mark: SERVICE MARK

Register: PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator: LIVE

silverwheels
7/13/2008, 02:39 PM
Thunder is lame. Thunderbirds is cool in theory, but it would sound horrible as the name of a sports franchise. Pretty much every name suggested is not that great at best, so we should just be called "Oklahoma City" and leave it at that.

Half a Hundred
7/13/2008, 10:15 PM
Thunder is lame. Thunderbirds is cool in theory, but it would sound horrible as the name of a sports franchise. Pretty much every name suggested is not that great at best, so we should just be called "Oklahoma City" and leave it at that.

Not to mention the dance squad would obviously have to be the "Pink Ladies"

Frozen Sooner
7/13/2008, 11:00 PM
Ummm, is there a reason that the ONLY new listing in the US Trademark Office database filed by the new owners is for the Oklahoma City Supersonics?

Word Mark: OKLAHOMA CITY SUPERSONICS

Goods and Services: IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment and educational services in the nature of ongoing television and radio programs in the field of basketball and rendering live basketball games and basketball exhibitions; the production and distribution of radio and television shows featuring basketball games, basketball events and programs in the field of basketball; conducting and arranging basketball clinics and camps, coaches clinics and camps, dance team clinics and camps and basketball games; entertainment services in the nature of personal appearances by a costumed mascot or dance team at basketball games and exhibitions, clinics, camps, promotions, and other basketball-related events, special events and parties; fan club services; entertainment services, namely providing a website featuring multimedia material in the nature of television highlights, interactive television highlights, video recordings, video stream recordings, interactive video highlight selections, radio programs, radio highlights, and audio recordings in the field of basketball; providing news and information in the nature of statistics and trivia in the field of basketball; on-line non-downloadable games, namely, computer games, video games, interactive video games, action skill games, arcade games, adults' and children's party games, board games, puzzles, and trivia games; electronic publishing services, namely, publication of magazines, guides, newsletters, coloring books, and game schedules of others on-line through the Internet, all in the field of basketball; providing an online computer database in the field of basketball

Standard Characters Claimed:

Mark Drawing Code: (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK

Serial Number: 77516594

Filing Date: July 8, 2008

Current Filing Basis: 1B

Original Filing Basis: 1B

Owner: (APPLICANT) The Professional Basketball Club, LLC LTD LIAB CO OKLAHOMA 351 Elliot Ave., West Seattle WASHINGTON 98119

Attorney of Record: Anil V. George

Prior Registrations: 1084317;1831387;2799123;AND OTHERS (I checked and yes, these are the original Seattle SuperSonics marks)

Type of Mark: SERVICE MARK

Register: PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator: LIVE

'Cause if they don't register the trademark then someone else can print up some shirts with the name.

Frozen Sooner
7/13/2008, 11:01 PM
How about Wyld Stallyns?

Excellent.

OKMAGIC
7/14/2008, 10:20 AM
When do they announce the new name or have they?

Ash
7/14/2008, 10:21 AM
If you tell me where to get a Boomer Sooner ringtone, I'll tell you when they announce the name.

Boomer.....
7/14/2008, 10:43 AM
No they haven't. Hopefully it will be sometime this week.

setem
7/14/2008, 10:54 AM
Oklahoma Wrath!

badger
7/14/2008, 11:00 AM
The Oklahoma City Ebony All-Ninja Day Assassins

Collier11
7/14/2008, 11:12 AM
I actually heard a rumor that is was going to be the Thunder, we will find out this week for sure according to Dean the Dream

Boomer.....
7/14/2008, 11:13 AM
:D

I was about to make a smartass comment but then decided to just answer him.

BTW, wrong forum.

TexasLidig8r
7/14/2008, 11:18 AM
If it's not

The Land Thieves

or

The Dirt Burglars

There is no justice.

JLEW1818
7/14/2008, 11:21 AM
not the okies ?

Curly Bill
7/14/2008, 11:24 AM
I want the F'n Hillbillies...

...or the Flying Dickwheels (imagine the mascot possibilities)

SteelClip49
7/14/2008, 11:26 AM
Oklahoma City Mongos

badger
7/14/2008, 11:27 AM

I was about to make a smartass comment but then decided to just answer him.

BTW, wrong forum.

The Oklahoma City Wrong Forums?

Cue Seattle cheering that name.

Collier11
7/14/2008, 01:20 PM
If it's not

The Land Thieves

or

The Dirt Burglars

There is no justice.

only if ut changes to the Cold sores

soonerboy
7/14/2008, 02:33 PM
the okc tulsans there ya go everyones happy

soonerboy
7/14/2008, 02:35 PM
Energy is also stolen from the d-league ranks.

it also sounds like a WNBA name

birddog
7/14/2008, 02:54 PM
Anything but Barons would be nice. For pete's sake they should try not to make OKC sound like a bunch of yuppie doucebags. That's all we ask. Sports teams should carry some kind of intimidating connotation not overly try to be "sophisticated (ghey)". Could they go ahead and name this stupid thing already so I can come to terms with its retarded name and move on.

you mean like:

nuggets
nets
knicks
magic
heat
jazz
wizards
76ers
suns
celtics
pistons
pacers

something intimidating like those?

JLB
7/15/2008, 03:08 PM
Oklahoma City Tornadoes

Oklahoma City Golden Tornadoes

Lott's Bandana
7/15/2008, 04:51 PM
you mean like:

nuggets
nets
knicks
magic
heat
jazz
wizards
76ers
suns
celtics
pistons
pacers

something intimidating like those?

The Wizards could sorta be considered intimidating...couldn't it? It's the only one that would work if you added the word "Evil" in front of it.

I'm kinda partial to;

Oklahoma City Gustnadoes :gary:

SoonerStormchaser
7/15/2008, 09:08 PM
Outlaws or Thunder...the rest suck!