PDA

View Full Version : Is Capel an assistant coach...

OUster
7/8/2008, 05:39 PM
for Larry Brown and the Bobcats. The reason I ask is because I saw Jeff Capel's name as an assistant of Brown's in the SA Express this afternoon in an article discussing Brown going to Las Vegas for summer tourneys. Can anyone confirm? I assume this is just a summer gig for Capel and he is still our men's b-ball coach, right?

soonerfan28
7/8/2008, 05:54 PM
I think it's his father by the same name. Here is your answer.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2897056&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

Frozen Sooner
7/8/2008, 05:58 PM
Yep. His father works for the Bobcats organization. Trust me, coach of OU Men's Basketball is a full-time job. :D

Plus, of course, it doesn't hurt to have the family connection to an NBA team. IIRC, Dad is a scout-and it doesn't hurt at all for recruiting to know that he's going to see a lot of a kid's games if he comes to OU.

the_ouskull
7/8/2008, 07:11 PM
True, but, then again, it IS the Bobcats, so it could work against us too...

:D

the_ouskull (is tired of seeing a talented team get beat up on because they're poorly coached...

Raymond Felton
Jason Richardson
Gerald Wallace
Emeka Okafor
Nazr Mohammed

Bench: Jared Dudley, Earl Boykins, Matt Carroll

With THAT team, they only won 32? If Felton and Richardson weren't matadors, that would be a baaaaad defensive team. The bench is a lil' thin too, but Wallace, Okafor, Dudley, and sometimes Mohammed are all really good defensive players... I'll bet they have trouble scoring unless they're running their sets really well though. Richardson is the only good one-on-one player unless Wallace has developed a better handle (3.5/2.9 A/TO ratio says he hasn't) and Felton can create off of the dribble, but not for himself. He's not a finisher. It's a shame. Who did they draft? Probably some tall stiff. Turrible.

Frozen Sooner
7/8/2008, 08:33 PM
Nah. Bobcats sucking plays to us. They're always in the lottery.

the_ouskull
7/8/2008, 11:28 PM
Well, maybe not next year...

Although I personally think that Augustine will be a bust in the pros... or at least not a good player... he's going to be backing up Felton for the time-being anyway, so it won't matter. So, we're looking at a lineup of:

1- Felton
2- Richardson
3- Wallace
4- Okafor (who they still have to re-sign)
5- Mohammed

This means that Dudley, Carroll, and Augustine will be seeing minutes off of the bench. Also, with Mohammed getting up there in years and down there in skills and Hollins being worse at finishing at the rim than Felton is (and he's a seven-footer) Aijinca could start seeing minutes before he's ready, which, for a young, under(bulk)sized, foreign player, is the kiss of death. Stupid Frenchies.

If they're shopping Felton, then they need to make it part of a package deal to bring in someone worth their while, 'cause Felton's salary isn't too bad ($4 million-ish per...) on it's own.

Sean May, Felton, and Mohammed to Dallas for Dampier and a conditional 2009 first-round pick would be a steal, frankly... and Dallas wouldn't mind it, 'cause it'd get 3 years younger in the middle without giving up any significant talent, and they'd be bringing in a quality backup for Kidd, another big body in May, and their first-round pick doesn't stand to mean much in what figures to be a pretty weak 2009 draft anyway. (Although, while that's what they THINK, I think there's a chance that Dallas sees the lottery next year... Kidd sucks... badly... They NEED Felton...)

AND, if May and Felton aren't long-term fixes, they're both off of books after one year anyway...

So, with a lineup of

1 - Augustine
2 - Richardson
3 - Wallace
4 - Okafor
5 - Dampier

the Bobcats aren't going to be WORSE. This way, Aijinca could learn from a more experienced pro in Dampier, Augustine would be able to have more of a "his team" mentality, which I think would actually HELP him, (although I still think he wasn't a lottery pick at all) and they can bring Dudley, Aijinca, Carroll, and Davidson off of the bench. They're not very deep, but they are young, and, with Larry Brown coaching them now, they'll get more out of nothing... for a year or two... tops...

However, the X-Factor draft pick is Kyle Weaver. Their 2nd rounder from Wazzou. He could become a Bruce Bowen-type defender in the NBA. He'll be ready to play before Aijinca is...

I'm willing to bet that I just discussed more in-depth Bobcats Basketball than Bobcats fans, players, GM's, and owners do. I desperately need a life away from the orange round ball, man.

the_ouskull