PDA

View Full Version : Perfect game unwritten rules

Paperclip
7/7/2008, 10:54 PM
So, Hiroki Kuroda for the Dodgers has a perfect game going with a 3-0 lead in the 7th when Gregor Blanco for the Braves drops down a bunt. 3rd baseman made the play and threw him out, but is that weak sauce? What say you?

GrapevineSooner
7/8/2008, 07:41 AM
I've always been split on that issue. On one hand, you'd like to see a hitter break up a perfect game/no hitter with a nice clean hit to the outfield. Especially if it's a blowout.

OTOH, the fact is it was still only a three run game at that point and to get back in the game, you need baserunners. And bunting plays into Blanco's strengths.

On a side note, I'm thoroughly enjoying the fact that Mark Teixeira plays on a team that's six games under .500.

Scott D
7/8/2008, 05:26 PM
not as weaksauce as the 9th inning.

However, weaksauce is the rule that states a team has to pitch 9 innings to have a no hitter. Robbing the Angels against the Dodgers of that distinction was absolute weaksauce.

AllAboutThe'O'
7/8/2008, 09:19 PM
So, Hiroki Kuroda for the Dodgers has a perfect game going with a 3-0 lead in the 7th when Gregor Blanco for the Braves drops down a bunt. 3rd baseman made the play and threw him out, but is that weak sauce? What say you?

For Blanco's sake, just be glad that it was Kuroda pitching and not Curt Schilling.

Blue
7/9/2008, 01:23 AM
On a side note, I'm thoroughly enjoying the fact that Mark Teixeira plays on a team that's six games under .500.

We'll make a run.

tulsaoilerfan
7/9/2008, 10:56 AM
Not weak sauce at all; not even close. It's the 7th inning and it's a close game.

I agree; now if it was 10-0, then i would tend to disagree

Paperclip
7/9/2008, 11:29 AM
To me it's about the batter. If Blanco is a guy who bunts a lot and that's part of his game it doesn't bother me. If it's David Ortiz then I think it's weak.

Curly Bill
7/9/2008, 09:48 PM
One of the stupidest things about baseball is it's "unwritten rules."

If you can get a bunt down and blow up the oppositions chance at a perfect game then great. Why is there some "rule" that says you're supposed to help the opponent get a perfect game by not bunting or doing anything sneaky?

SoonerBBall
7/10/2008, 10:21 AM

If you can get a bunt down and blow up the oppositions chance at a perfect game then great. Why is there some "rule" that says you're supposed to help the opponent get a perfect game by not bunting or doing anything sneaky?

Or better yet, why does a bunt count as a hit when the runner is thrown out? That seems pretty damn stupid.

Ike
7/10/2008, 11:26 AM

There are no unwritten rules. If there were, they'd have written em down.

There are just "Things you can do that might result in a 92 mile per hour heater being directed at your person at some point in the future", and things that won't.

Curly Bill
7/10/2008, 01:50 PM
Or better yet, why does a bunt count as a hit when the runner is thrown out? That seems pretty damn stupid.

A bunt doesn't count as a hit when the runner is thrown out. If the bunt advances a runner then the bunter gets credit for a sacrifice but not a hit.

Scott D
7/10/2008, 04:01 PM

depends, if there was no chance of getting the batter out at first, it can easily be called a bunt single, regardless of if it manages to advance the runner or not. In that situation, the only real argument is if the official scorer will rule the play a hit, or if he'll rule it a fielder's choice (if the other runner is out, but not the batter)

Salt City Sooner
7/10/2008, 07:15 PM
To me it's about the batter. If Blanco is a guy who bunts a lot and that's part of his game it doesn't bother me. If it's David Ortiz then I think it's weak.
I'm thinking that watching David Ortiz trying to beat out a bunt would be worth the price of admission in itself.....:D

Curly Bill
7/10/2008, 07:18 PM
I'm thinking that watching David Ortiz trying to beat out a bunt would be worth the price of admission in itself.....:D

I'd laugh my arse off if Ortiz lay down a bunt to bust up a perfect game...

...just cause I don't care for the "unwritten rules" of baseball.