PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps he didn't do a good job raising the twerp...

Okla-homey
7/7/2008, 07:06 PM
but he did the right thing at this juncture. Ardmore legislator filed criminal charges against his own kid. Might have saved the kid's life.

Still, speaking as a dad, that's gotta be tough! Consigning your baby boy to life among the sodomites in the hoosegow.:(

Local lawmaker's son jailed for burglarizing family home, business

By Marsha Miller, News Editor
The Daily Ardmoreite
Posted Jul 05, 2008 @ 08:41 PM

Ardmore, OK — The 18-year-old son of a local state legislator was behind bars Saturday facing at least two burglary charges after being turned over to authorities by his father.

Gregory Travis Piatt was being held Saturday at the Carter County Detention Center pending the posting of a $5,000 bond set on a second-degree burglary charge. The charge is based on an investigation by the Lone Grove Police Department.

The younger Piatt was turned over to an officer by Rep. Greg Piatt shortly after midnight Thursday. Piatt said he had discovered his son had burglarized the family business, Heartland LLC, located in Lone Grove. According to LGPD reports, the legislator told the officer “... he did not know what else to do besides press charges on his son for the burglary committed.” The report does not indicate what was taken in the burglary.

Just hours later, Piatt filed a second report at the Ardmore Police Department, accusing his son of also burglarizing the family’s McLish Street home. Taken in that burglary was a large amount of cash. Charges are pending in connection with the home burglary.

Ardmore police are also investigating information gained from Lone Grove officers concerning statements the teenager made alleging his friends were committing similar burglaries while he was breaking into his parent’s business and home. No suspects were named and no others have been arrested in connection with the cases.

Efforts to contact the legislator for comment concerning the two burglaries involving his son were unsuccessful.

However, LGPD reports indicate the younger Piatt was not living at home, nor was he employed by his parents at the time of the thefts.

Greg Piatt, the Republican majority floor leader, announced last month he would not seek re-election.

Marsha Miller 221-6529
[email protected]

BigRedJed
7/7/2008, 07:13 PM
Might be part of the reason he's not seeking re-election. Seems I remember some head-scratching when he made his announcement. Sounds like his family might need him at home.

Okla-homey
7/7/2008, 07:16 PM
Might be part of the reason he's not seeking re-election. Seems I remember some head-scratching when he made his announcement. Sounds like his family might need him at home.

Mom says he's a really nice guy. Drugs are the debbil. They make kids do really stupid shiite.

royalfan5
7/7/2008, 08:15 PM
At least he stayed away from Blue Bonnet Feeds.

Sooner24
7/7/2008, 10:24 PM

He had announced long before this happened that he wasn't running. Now problems with the kid might have played a part but who knows. My oldest son asks me if I would have done the same thing and I told him "In a red hot minute". I commend Greg Piatt for doing the right thing and not the easy thing.

BigRedJed
7/8/2008, 11:06 AM
That's obviously what I meant (at least I thought it was obvious). I'm not saying this specific crime was the cause. I know he announced long before this. I'm saying for it to have gotten to this point there must have been signs leading up to it, and maybe leaving the legislature was an attempt to get his arms around the problem before it got to this point, or worse.

Hamhock
7/8/2008, 12:20 PM
That's obviously what I meant (at least I thought it was obvious). I'm not saying this specific crime was the cause. I know he announced long before this. I'm saying for it to have gotten to this point there must have been signs leading up to it, and maybe leaving the legislature was an attempt to get his arms around the problem before it got to this point, or worse.

are you trying to say the denver mall is unsafe?

BigRedJed
7/8/2008, 12:24 PM
Yes.

JohnnyMack
7/8/2008, 12:29 PM
This is just like that time in Parenthood, when the angry kid rebels against his dad and smashes up his office, but leaves his hammer with his initials on it behind. Almost exactly.

Bone
7/8/2008, 12:36 PM
Great decision. I'd do the same. I've also told my wife repeatedly that if she does something stupid and goes to jail then I'm not posting bail for her.

Okla-homey
7/12/2008, 04:05 PM
I owe this guy an apology for inferring he didn't do agood job raising the kid. I have learned, through a very reliable source (with whom I've had a very close relationship since before I was born) there's a lot more to this story than meets the eye. It's even more tragic than it appears.:(

The kid has congenital mental and behavioral problems. They adopted him from state custody while he was a toddler knowing he would be a handful. No one wanted him. Period. Nevertheless, they decided to try their damndest. Throughout his young life, they did everything humanely possible to salvage the boy. They get major spek for that IMHO.

In the end, they were unable to save him. Now a grown man, the kid was just too unstable and therefore dangerous to everyone he encountered. It ended up being either him or the family. They agonizingly chose to protect their family and us, the Oklahoma public at large.

I am very sorry folks. I pray none of us ever have to walk a mile in those folks' moccasins.