PDA

View Full Version : CC Sabathia?

r5TPsooner
7/7/2008, 05:08 PM
This might help the Brew Crew at least make the playoffs. What do you think?

Curly Bill
7/7/2008, 05:45 PM
He's a good pitcher...but we are talking about the Brewers here. ;)

tommieharris91
7/7/2008, 06:41 PM
It puts them ahead of the cardinals, but not the Cubs.

tulsaoilerfan
7/7/2008, 07:55 PM
Sabathia has not been anywhere near what he's been in the past and i hope it stays that way; seems like most of these july trades don't pan out if i remember correctly

tommieharris91
7/7/2008, 11:39 PM
I think all of us here forgot to mention that Ned Yost is still their manager.

Where's badger?

Scott D
7/8/2008, 05:29 PM
Sabathia has not been anywhere near what he's been in the past and i hope it stays that way; seems like most of these july trades don't pan out if i remember correctly

He's gotten better as the season has gone on. The question now is how will his numbers translate to pitching in the National League. Generally, AL pitchers make a good transition so long as they've got a good curve.

I'm just glad he's out of the AL Central. Now if the Twins would manage to lose Joe Nathan, I'd be happy :D

Checking the Milwaukee schedule, Sabathia should make about 15 starts, beginning on Tuesday, July 8th. After one of the worst April performances ever by a defending Cy Young Award winner (1-4 ERA 10.28, WHIP 1.78), Sabathia has rebounded nicely. In May he was just 2-3, but had an ERA of 2.44 and a WHIP of 1.11. June was even better as Sabathia went 3-1 with a 1.89 ERA and a WHIP of just 0.95.

tommieharris91
7/8/2008, 05:51 PM
And the Cubs counter by trading for Rich Harden.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3478902

r5TPsooner
7/8/2008, 06:07 PM

Never heard of him.

tommieharris91
7/8/2008, 06:11 PM
Never heard of him.

Probably because he's been fighting the injury bug. But make no mistake, he is a pretty good pitcher. He has a pretty good season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/harderi01.shtml

Scott D
7/8/2008, 07:01 PM

imo I'd be concerned that Billy Beane was willing to give Harden up. It's not like the rest of the bigtime pitchers he's dealt or let go over the past 5 years have been lighting it up over in the National League.

Scott D
8/31/2008, 11:38 PM

I had to bump this..

Dude is 9-0 with 5 complete games and a 1.43 ERA in 11 starts in the National League. I don't care who you are, those are sick numbers.

tommieharris91
8/31/2008, 11:42 PM
Just hope and prey your team doesn't sign him in the offseason. He's an arm injury waiting to happen. And yea, no one can get to him ever.

Scott D
8/31/2008, 11:50 PM
Just hope and prey your team doesn't sign him in the offseason. He's an arm injury waiting to happen. And yea, no one can get to him ever.

you talking about Harden again? :D

tommieharris91
9/1/2008, 12:21 AM
you talking about Harden again? :D

Nope. His pitch counts are always like 115, 120. He can't keep up that kind of stress on his arm without causing major damage. Also, Harden isn't a free agent next offseason.

Scott D
9/1/2008, 12:24 AM
see I don't agree with the pitch count mindset. and I don't think teams do it to protect arms either. odds are harden will get injured again before sabathia does.

tommieharris91
9/1/2008, 12:31 AM
see I don't agree with the pitch count mindset. and I don't think teams do it to protect arms either. odds are harden will get injured again before sabathia does.

You would like having Dusty Baker as your team's manager, then.

Scott D
9/1/2008, 01:03 AM
pitch counts are just a way to justify specialization in pitchers.

tommieharris91
9/1/2008, 01:29 AM
pitch counts are just a way to justify specialization in pitchers.

This is statement is horribly wrong. High pitch counts are highly correlated with arm and shoulder injuries (Valenzuela, Koufax, Prior, John, off the top of my head). There is a ton of evidence that pitchers who pitch with high pitch counts get injured, often within one season of being horribly abused.

Specialization (like using a guy only to get lefties out, etc.) is actually bad bullpen management. Very often managers would be better off not using a pitcher to face only one batter.

r5TPsooner
9/1/2008, 09:23 AM
This is statement is horribly wrong. High pitch counts are highly correlated with arm and shoulder injuries (Valenzuela, Koufax, Prior, John, off the top of my head). There is a ton of evidence that pitchers who pitch with high pitch counts get injured, often within one season of being horribly abused.

Specialization (like using a guy only to get lefties out, etc.) is actually bad bullpen management. Very often managers would be better off not using a pitcher to face only one batter.

Sabathia will be a Yankee next year. I see a complete over haul of the Yankee roster with Jeter, Rivera, and Chamberlain being the only players safe from the axe.

Scott D
9/1/2008, 10:13 AM

Well there's one real answer for pitch counts...if you want pitchers to have lower pitch counts then they just need to "GET BETTER!" :D