PDA

View Full Version : When in Seattle for the Washington game.......

Sooner24
7/6/2008, 05:29 PM
Where are the one or two places I HAVE to eat, lunch and dinner, and what do I HAVE to see. Our plane arrives at 10:00 am on Friday and we will have all day to kick about town. Saturday is booked and Sunday is traveling home. So all you people in the Great NW help a brother out.

SeattleOUstudent
7/6/2008, 05:38 PM
HAVE to eat @ Ivars. Its a little pricey, but the clam chowdah is worth it!

As far as "must see" places, you really need to go to Pike Place market. Great people watching. The seafood is so damn fresh. They have fresh goods there too. Save $2.34 for a dozen fresh donut holes (around the corner from the famous fish throwers) Actually, the seafood places in there (The Athenean and Lowels) are both pretty top-notch. You could get away with some really good/fresh seafood from the Athenean in Pike Place Mkt and save yourself the trouble of Ivars, which is down on the pier.

Save yourself some time to walk around U-dub. Its a really beautiful campus. Maybe one of the prettiest in the country. I hope its a sunny day for football.

Sooner5030
7/6/2008, 06:13 PM
Pike's Place

Fremont for food & drink (close to UW)

Will you have a rental? I-5 traffic sucks on Fridays from SEATAC to Seattle.

SoonerInKCMO
7/6/2008, 06:15 PM
There's a nice Fatburger in downtown Bellevue.

SoonerInKCMO
7/6/2008, 06:18 PM
Oh, speaking of the traffic like '5030 was, be prepared to hate, HATE, HATE the Seattleites and their apparent inability to travel at a decent rate of speed even when the roads are practically empty. I couldn't tell you how many people I tailgated and tried to run off the road even when I was renting a wimpy little Prius. :mad:

Frozen Sooner
7/6/2008, 06:30 PM
HAVE to eat @ Ivars. Its a little pricey, but the clam chowdah is worth it!

As far as "must see" places, you really need to go to Pike Place market. Great people watching. The seafood is so damn fresh. They have fresh goods there too. Save $2.34 for a dozen fresh donut holes (around the corner from the famous fish throwers) Actually, the seafood places in there (The Athenean and Lowels) are both pretty top-notch. You could get away with some really good/fresh seafood from the Athenean in Pike Place Mkt and save yourself the trouble of Ivars, which is down on the pier.

Save yourself some time to walk around U-dub. Its a really beautiful campus. Maybe one of the prettiest in the country. I hope its a sunny day for football.

Seconded on the Ivar's. The clam chowder is phenomenal.

The EMP is kind of cool if you're into that.

auto
7/6/2008, 07:27 PM
Heading to Crush, hear excellent things about the place.

Collier11
7/7/2008, 08:35 AM
I couldn't tell you how many people I tailgated and tried to run off the road even when I was renting a wimpy little Prius. :mad: [/SIZE]

We would get along great! :D

bstuff1979
7/7/2008, 08:52 AM
Oh, speaking of the traffic like '5030 was, be prepared to hate, HATE, HATE the Seattleites and their apparent inability to travel at a decent rate of speed even when the roads are practically empty. I couldn't tell you how many people I tailgated and tried to run off the road even when I was renting a wimpy little Prius. :mad:

I can attest to this. Seattle traffic is the anti-Dallas. God help them, that soulless population of sensitive pony-tail guys. On the up side, Pike's Place is cool, but I wouldn't waste too much time there. The market portion itself is nice, but it gets very touristy very quickly with the little stores. Just walking around downtown is fun, but it's hilly. Very, very hilly.

Sooner24
7/7/2008, 09:46 AM
I found this on FlyerTalk. Hope it helps anyone going to the game in Sept.

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496713&highlight=line+gray+seattle

Sooner24
7/7/2008, 01:35 PM
I just want to bump this since there is so much info here as what to see and do.

auto
7/7/2008, 01:47 PM
there is an excellent thread on ouinsider from a local seattle resident.

soonerinabilene
7/7/2008, 01:52 PM
I hear they have a fancy coffee place called Starbucks. Its like 7 bucks for a small, so it must be good. And you cant order in English, so there is a little cultural time for you.

badger
7/7/2008, 02:03 PM
Perhaps the KeyArena area has some good west coast cuisine? It would be fun to catch an NBA game and sample the KeyArena food offerings of the area... oh wait, I guess that's a thing of the past.

And no, I'm never going to get tired of mentioning that :D

arcman46
7/7/2008, 07:33 PM
Redhook Brewing Company is downtown near the Stadiums. BooYah

SeattleOUstudent
7/7/2008, 10:47 PM
Redhook? No it isnt! Its in Woodinville.

Great beer, BTW.

sooner2b09
7/7/2008, 11:29 PM
Pikes Place,

Watch them throw those fish, pretty awesome

Frozen Sooner
7/8/2008, 12:14 AM
Redhook? No it isnt! Its in Woodinville.

Great beer, BTW.

It's much fun to take the Red Hook tour and get blotto for cheap.

soonerboomer93
7/8/2008, 10:59 AM
anyone have a good place to stay, near the stadium probably would be best

colleyvillesooner
7/8/2008, 11:03 AM
It's much fun to take the Red Hook tour and get blotto for cheap.

Doing that for sure, probably Thus or Fri. That and the Chateau St. Michelle Winery across the street

Frozen Sooner
7/8/2008, 11:20 AM
anyone have a good place to stay, near the stadium probably would be best

PM me.

OUMallen
7/8/2008, 11:40 AM
When in Seattle, I highly recommend taking one of their professional sports teams...they don't even mind!

CobraKai
7/8/2008, 12:25 PM
I used to love Brooklyn Seafood and Steak House. Not sure how it is now as I have not been in many years, but it was my favorite when I was in Seattle.

Sooner24
7/8/2008, 01:52 PM
PM me.

Isn't your dad throwing a big tailgate party for everyone? :D

colleyvillesooner
7/8/2008, 02:05 PM
Hells yeah he is. Chardonnay and salmon bites all around!

;)

Frozen Sooner
7/8/2008, 02:33 PM
Isn't your dad throwing a big tailgate party for everyone? :D

Here's the dilio on that:

The OU Club of Alaska has somewhat suspended operations as a big chunk of the membership got transferred to Houston with Conoco/Philips. No joint tailgate with the OU Club of Seattle.

Dad will have a tailgate going. As I've mentioned before, his buddy has a great spot right by the stadium due to handicapped parking.

Yes, there should be some smoked salmon. I'll bring some myself if I have to. :D

While you're in Seattle, make sure to pick up a case of Alaskan Amber beer. I don't think you can get it in Oklahoma, and it's a damn fine microbrew out of Juneau.

colleyvillesooner
7/8/2008, 03:06 PM
We'll drop by.

Me +8 :D

Again. Reminder. Friday night SF.com meetup must happen.

soonerspudman
7/8/2008, 03:22 PM
Experience Music Project (EMP) over on 5th st.

http://www.empsfm.org/

auto
7/8/2008, 05:12 PM
Here's the dilio on that:

The OU Club of Alaska has somewhat suspended operations as a big chunk of the membership got transferred to Houston with Conoco/Philips. No joint tailgate with the OU Club of Seattle.

Dad will have a tailgate going. As I've mentioned before, his buddy has a great spot right by the stadium due to handicapped parking.

Yes, there should be some smoked salmon. I'll bring some myself if I have to. :D

While you're in Seattle, make sure to pick up a case of Alaskan Amber beer. I don't think you can get it in Oklahoma, and it's a damn fine microbrew out of Juneau.

As a former resident of Alaska, I will second Alaska Amber as a damn fine beer, I still have about 10 cases at home:D

RedstickSooner
7/8/2008, 07:36 PM
If it's a bright, sunny day, make sure you grab your trunks, head over to Alki, and go for a quick swim.

Nothing so refreshing on a hot late summer / early autumn day as a dip in the Sound.

;)

rainiersooner
7/9/2008, 08:23 PM
Heading to Crush, hear excellent things about the place.

Awesome restaurant - make a reservation though (well in advance) as it gets packed. Since you sound like a "foodie" - you should also check out Queen City Grill and Flying Fish (in Belltown).

Also, go to BluWater Bistro on Lake Union for a drink Friday night before going to dinner (skip the food - it's expensive and nothing to write home about). Get a seat on the patio - it gets great sun (September is one of the few reliably sunny months up here), and you can watch the seaplanes taking off and landing in front of you. Another great, quintessential Seattle place for a drink or snack is Ray's Boathouse (out on Shilshole Bay, overlooking Puget Sound) - but go to the cafe upstairs and sit outside. The Waterfront Grill on Pier 70 is pretty cool, but it's very expensive.

Talking about seaplanes - if you've got $100 to spare, take a sightseeing tour on a seaplane: Kenmore Air does 30 minute trips around the city from their Lake Union terminal.

If anyone has any other specific questions, feel free to PM me as I've lived in Seattle for about 20 years.

rainiersooner
7/9/2008, 08:27 PM
Doing that for sure, probably Thus or Fri. That and the Chateau St. Michelle Winery across the street

There's also tons of other great wineries open to the public in Woodinville (see: http://www.woodinvillewinecountry.com/wwc.php).

Frozen Sooner
7/9/2008, 08:39 PM
rainier, what do you hear about the Wasabi Cafe on 1st? I went there a couple of years ago and really liked it, but I may have been drunk.

rainiersooner
7/10/2008, 12:48 AM
rainier, what do you hear about the Wasabi Cafe on 1st? I went there a couple of years ago and really liked it, but I may have been drunk.

It's cool. It's not the greatest sushi in Seattle (go to Shiro's just down the street for that), but it's still very good, and the vibe is much more fun than Shiros - it's more of a bar that wants to be a sushi restaurant (and pulls it off). I recommend it.

Dan Thompson
7/12/2008, 10:19 AM
Try the Airplane museum at Boeing Field.

http://www.museumofflight.org/Portal.asp?Flash=True

SoonerInKCMO
7/12/2008, 12:23 PM
... Alaskan Amber beer. I don't think you can get it in Oklahoma, and it's a damn fine microbrew out of Juneau.

You are correct. :)

Harry Beanbag
7/12/2008, 01:04 PM
If it's a bright, sunny day, make sure you grab your trunks, head over to Alki, and go for a quick swim.

Nothing so refreshing on a hot late summer / early autumn day as a dip in the Sound.

;)

Yep, the water's warm that time of year. ;)

Sooner24
7/17/2008, 03:05 PM
So when is everyone going up? We are going up Thursday and coming home Sunday.

This is how we are getting to the game.

Celebrity All-American Pre-Game tailgate with Steve Owens, Billy Simms, Jimbo Elrod and other Oklahoma Greats aboard the spectacular Argosy "Spirit of Seattle" enjoying a 2 hour Pre-Game Tour of beautiful Lake Washington. And YES, this 300 passenger boat is your transportation to the Husky Stadium!

http://www.ouvip.net/2008seasontours/ouvswashington.html

Frozen Sooner
7/17/2008, 03:15 PM
Getting there on the 11th, leaving the 16th.

Looks like Dad can't make the game. Step-mom's 50-year high-school reunion is that night, and he caught a pretty big ration of **** for asking if he could skip it.

So I may have two tickets available...

yukonsooner
7/17/2008, 03:36 PM
If Frontier stays in business we're going up on Wed and back on Monday. Originally, we were scheduled to go out on Thurs, but Frontier called and said they had basically overbooked the flight on Thurs and there would be a good chance we would be bumped if we didn't change our flight.

auto
7/17/2008, 06:14 PM
So when is everyone going up? We are going up Thursday and coming home Sunday.

This is how we are getting to the game.

Celebrity All-American Pre-Game tailgate with Steve Owens, Billy Simms, Jimbo Elrod and other Oklahoma Greats aboard the spectacular Argosy "Spirit of Seattle" enjoying a 2 hour Pre-Game Tour of beautiful Lake Washington. And YES, this 300 passenger boat is your transportation to the Husky Stadium!

http://www.ouvip.net/2008seasontours/ouvswashington.html

Just called, they are calling me back to see if I can just do the cruise portion.

Lott's Bandana
7/17/2008, 06:27 PM
Icon Grill

Under the monorail across from the Hyatt. Trust me. My favorite restaurant in my favorite city, hands down.

http://www.icongrill.net/index.htm

Check out the photos and the dinner menu...deep fried macaroni, chicken fried calamari on the same page with potato-wrapped halibut.

EMP

I've always considered this place the Museum of Modern Music. The Jimi Room is hella-cool. The interactive instruments on the 3rd floor will teach you how to play "Smells Like Teen Spirit" on the drums, guitar, bass and even use a mixing board. Could be an entire 1/2 day. Surprisingly for Seattle, my military ID took my admission fee down to practically nothing...

Dan Thompson
7/17/2008, 07:49 PM
Icon Grill

They have Mac & Cheese, even fried Mac & Cheese!

Lott's Bandana
7/17/2008, 08:22 PM
Icon Grill

They have Mac & Cheese, even fried Mac & Cheese!

and believe me, the chicken-fried calamari is teh win.

Sooner24
7/17/2008, 08:26 PM
Is the downtown Top Pot Doughnut worth a early morning stop?

Sooner24
7/17/2008, 09:22 PM
Anybody know anything about this place?

http://www.voulasoffshore.com/default.htm

mcla6783
7/18/2008, 09:33 AM
Just called, they are calling me back to see if I can just do the cruise portion.

When you find out could you please let us know? I am curious as well.

Sooner24
7/19/2008, 10:06 PM
So where is everyone staying?

Downtown Sheraton here.

Collier11
7/20/2008, 01:13 AM
So, I had my flight departure changed from sunday to saturday by the F'n airline. How the hell does that work? Lets see if I can get it fixed

OU-HSV
7/20/2008, 08:17 AM
When I was in Seattle we ate at a restaurant in an older district...it was like a blues type atmosphere..think they had a blues band playing. It's been several years though, I can't remember exactly where it is and what it's called. I'll try to find out for you, my brother probably knows the name.
Edit: This very well might be it:
http://www.neworleanscreolerestaurant.com/

Frozen Sooner
7/20/2008, 12:31 PM
Hope it wasn't the Crocodile Cafe, since it closed a while back. :(. Wasn't a blues joint, but it was one of the best music clubs ever.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/20/2008, 09:43 PM
When I was in Seattle one of our vendors took us to dinner at a restaurant that was on the top floor of a skyscraper. I can't remember what it was called, but the drinks were good. The bathrooms had floor to ceiling windows so you could look out into the city.

WA. Sooner
7/21/2008, 01:10 AM
When I was in Seattle one of our vendors took us to dinner at a restaurant that was on the top floor of a skyscraper. I can't remember what it was called, but the drinks were good. The bathrooms had floor to ceiling windows so you could look out into the city.

Sounds like the Tower Club on the 76floor of the Columbia Center

auto
7/22/2008, 06:56 AM
When you find out could you please let us know? I am curious as well.

It took a few days. They had a few slots open for sell. I got 2, the price was $108 per person. I figure a cool way to kill a few hours, cruise Lake Washington, see some Sooner Greats, take some great pictures, not deal with parking. Talk to Ray.

Sooner24
7/22/2008, 01:31 PM
It took a few days. They had a few slots open for sell. I got 2, the price was $108 per person. I figure a cool way to kill a few hours, cruise Lake Washington, see some Sooner Greats, take some great pictures, not deal with parking. Talk to Ray.

nm

Lott's Bandana
7/22/2008, 02:27 PM

The Renaissance Madison has a restaurant like that on 6th street...good eats for a hotel joint and a killer view.

bp8
7/23/2008, 09:12 AM
I've got everything set to go to Washington except game tickets. Anyone have two tickets for sale? I'd rather sit with Sooner fans if I've got the choice.