PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon final = teh awesome

BigRedJed
7/6/2008, 03:32 PM
One of the best finals I have ever seen, perhaps THE best. Makes me want to start paying attention to tennis again.

King Crimson
7/6/2008, 03:44 PM
i used to watch a lot of tennis (majors at least), not so much anymore....but that was outstanding sport. the 4th set tie breaker was unreal. clutch shot after clutch shot. Federer is hard to kill.

Newbomb Turk
7/6/2008, 03:59 PM
i used to watch a lot of tennis (majors at least), not so much anymore....but that was outstanding sport. the 4th set tie breaker was unreal. clutch shot after clutch shot. Federer is hard to kill.

same here. watched it a bunch in 80's - Not so much anymore. That was classic stuff today.

Chuck Bao
7/6/2008, 04:32 PM
That was greatness, no doubt. I still couldn't watch it all four hours plus, ending like 3-4am here.

BigRedJed
7/6/2008, 05:08 PM
The only thing that might have made it more dramatic is a few more service breaks. It got pretty predictable at times, but the tennis itself was unbelievable.

Boomer.....
7/6/2008, 05:11 PM
Amazing match! As much as I like Federer, it's nice to see Nadal win against him on something other than clay.

BigRedJed
7/6/2008, 05:17 PM
I was conflicted. I'm only a very casual fan these days, but I like Federer. Still, I didn't really want to see him go one-up on my boy Björn Borg's consecutive singles title record. Borg was my favorite player of all time, from back when I actually gave a rat's *** about the game.

BigRedJed
7/6/2008, 05:18 PM
Plus, this Nadal kid is really likeable too.

colleyvillesooner
7/6/2008, 05:26 PM
simply outstanding

lexsooner
7/6/2008, 05:35 PM
Nadal deserved it. He made far fewer errors than Federer in the fifth set, and his ground strokes were so much more penetrating. Only Federer's serve kept him in it.

tulsaoilerfan
7/6/2008, 08:44 PM
I don't know if i've ever seen anyone as good at getting to shots as Nadal is; the guy is unreal

Partial Qualifier
7/6/2008, 09:44 PM
I didn't really want to see him go one-up on my boy Björn Borg's consecutive singles title record. Borg was my favorite player of all time, from back when I actually gave a rat's *** about the game.

me too, dude. He had a strong mystique. Plus he had one of the coolest athletes' names in the history of the world, ever.

Sooner98
7/6/2008, 10:07 PM
It was weird watching it get so dark there at Wimbledon - it was almost 9:30 PM there when they finally walked off the court, thanks to the rain delays.

proud gonzo
7/7/2008, 01:02 AM
people actually watch tennis?

why???

StoopTroup
7/7/2008, 05:52 AM
Anyone who thought Nadal didn't deserve to win that match didn't notice that he won 6 games in each of the first four sets. Federer got off to a rough start in the first two sets. On his behalf however...he showed why he's a true Champion by making it a match into the fifth set.

Hard to Kill = Federer

Both are Great Players.

Scott D
7/7/2008, 07:05 AM
I was conflicted. I'm only a very casual fan these days, but I like Federer. Still, I didn't really want to see him go one-up on my boy Björn Borg's consecutive singles title record. Borg was my favorite player of all time, from back when I actually gave a rat's *** about the game.

I thought the most compelling storyline was actually that two guys were shooting for things that Borg was the last person to accomplish. Borg actually attending (I thought I heard he hadn't been back to Wimbeldon since he retired) was icing on the cake.

Harry Beanbag
7/7/2008, 07:17 AM
Bring back Mikael Pernfors!

sooneron
7/7/2008, 08:26 AM

why???

:rolleyes:

I thought it was a really compelling match. I'm not sure if it was one of the best evar. I say this only because Roger wasn't totally on his game. His fight made up for the fact that he was missing something.
I think Borg was there recently when Roger was going to tie his record last year.

Borg was teh win. Back in the day of the playboy tennis stars- Vitas, Jimmy, Guillermo, and even Mac, he was as cool as the other side of the pillow.
The crazy thing is that Nadal is the first since Borg to win on clay and grass in the same year.

okieslp
7/7/2008, 09:57 AM
I thought that Federer was out to lunch at the start of the match, but he came to it and made a game of it. His after match comments on the match lasting so long making it hard to see made it seem almost cheap in the end. Nadal had the same low visibility as Roger, as well as the same opportunity to win. It almost seemed that Federer, along with the media had his victory as a foregone conclusion. OOPS! Dewey defeats Truman anyone?

All in all a match that could bring more back to tennis. The All-Williams women's final didn't hurt either. I think that if Nadal and Federer continue to meet in the finals and continue to play such great tennis, there will be a boost in viewership. I mean the guys are young, still a lot of great tennis left in them. Lets hope for this rivalry to heat up and make tennis a great watch!

RacerX
7/7/2008, 10:14 AM

why???

cuz it's baseball season.

bluedogok
7/7/2008, 10:55 AM
We missed it, we were driving back to Austin from OKC.

Nadal has been knocking on that door of the "next step" everywhere outside of Paris. Nice to see Federer has some competition now everywhere, not just on clay.

jthomasou78
7/7/2008, 03:30 PM
My wife who hates all things sports. Refused to get up to go shopping to finish watching the match. In my little world it was truly an event that transcended the game of tennis or sports itself. It was amazing.

Curly Bill
7/7/2008, 03:36 PM
All in all a match that could bring more back to tennis. The All-Williams women's final didn't hurt either.

It made me not watch. I refuse to watch those two play. cause they be scary

Now give me Sharapova -v- Ivanovich and I'm there. :D

NormanPride
7/7/2008, 03:42 PM
I was so disappointed that I missed this! I love Tennis, but we were traveling that day. :(