PDA

View Full Version : Best teams OU has beat?

MR2-Sooner86
7/6/2008, 01:58 PM
So I'm just curious as to the best teams OU has beat. It can be overall teams or just coaches.

I know the 2000 Championship team beat the best team Bobby and FSU ever put together.
We beat the best team OSU ever put together.
Somebody said we beat the best team JoPo ever put together.

Since I don't know that much I figured many on this board could just start shooting off all the victories over the best of teams or best coaches ever put together.

:pop:

goingoneight
7/6/2008, 02:06 PM
I'm sure with that measuring stick we've beat the best team Baylor put together, also. :D

PSU in the 86 OB
2004 Tejas was severely underrated, that team didn't lose another game until two years later to the #1 team in the Nation.
If you buy into the pretender 2007 Misery team, that was the best they've ever fielded. They're still Missouri in my books, though. Anytime we don't beat that team in double-digits is a disappointment. I'll give you this one for their fake #1 ranking and the crow they had served up for them.
Pretty much anytime we've played FSU they were damn good, just not good enough.
I'm not a "Sooner Fossil" as my Dad calls it, so I can't go digging up memories beyond the 80's. Oh, yeah... and Nebraska anytime during the Switzer/Osborne days.

Jdog
7/7/2008, 12:23 AM
I am kind of a Sooner fossil - and I would say top 5 "best teams" that we beat are
PSU - 85 OB
FSU - 00 OB
the Two KSU wins in 00.
and the undefeated KU team with John Riggins in I think it was 67 (KU lost to PSU in the OB- but were a great team).

soonerboy_odanorth
7/7/2008, 12:41 AM
I'd agree with all posted.

I especially think our wins in 2000 were special... over all of Texas, Nebraska, KSU (twice) and FSU. Honestly, that might be the greatest Sooner season ever in terms of the quality of competition we beat to win #7. Monumental.

I'll just toss in 1987 over Nebraska. Second year in a row we had to go to those f'ers place because of a Big 8 "rescheduling of future schedules". Them #1 and us #2 without our #1 QB. Steve Taylor and Broderick Thomas getting a huge freaking helping of STFU.

As for other seasons, we beat #5 Texas, #2 Nebraska, and #5 Michigan to win it all in '75. (We were the higher ranked against Texas and Michigan, but that's still a helluva run.)

Jason White's Third Knee
7/7/2008, 09:29 AM
Has beated.

BermudaSooner
7/7/2008, 03:32 PM
We beat a 10-0 Maryland team 20-6 in the 1955 Orange Bowl

OKLA21FAN
7/7/2008, 03:35 PM
That '84 Okie Lite team was a team in the rise.

oh wait..........

..............................................neve r mind

KingDavid
7/7/2008, 04:11 PM
I'm awefully proud of the a$$-whippings we put on the . . .

'74 Steelers,
'94 49er's, and
'85 Bears

The pre-season pounding we put on the '72 Dolphins would have been the best of all . . . if it had counted. Luckily for them, it didn't.

r5TPsooner
7/7/2008, 04:20 PM
So I'm just curious as to the best teams OU has beat. It can be overall teams or just coaches.

I know the 2000 Championship team beat the best team Bobby and FSU ever put together.
We beat the best team OSU ever put together.
Somebody said we beat the best team JoPo ever put together.

Since I don't know that much I figured many on this board could just start shooting off all the victories over the best of teams or best coaches ever put together.

:pop:

I thought that K-State was better than FSU in 2000. Beating them twice in there back yard was simply amazing. Beating FSU in Miami was even better.

BigHouseDon
7/7/2008, 04:26 PM
As for other seasons, we beat #5 Texas, #2 Nebraska, and #5 Michigan to win it all in '75. (We were the higher ranked against Texas and Michigan, but that's still a helluva run.)

You guys had an awesome D on that '75 team. To this day I can recall the shock of watching big Leroy Selmon take down Gordon Bell with an arm tackle on the first series of the game. I thought we had a pretty good team that year. Just not good enough. Too bad we didn't have the viewing opportunities in those days like we do today. As I recall the only other games on tv that yr were against tOSU and MSU.

BHD

soonerfan28
7/7/2008, 06:43 PM
I'll have to go with 2000 KSU.

wishbonesooner
7/8/2008, 03:09 PM
We beat some damn good Nebraska teams over the Switzer years. Switzer won several games when he didn't have the best team on the field.

OK2LA
7/8/2008, 09:28 PM
I don't know why it is - maybe I'm a fatalist. I think about the times we had our best teams and lost. (KSU, LSU, USC) Those ones still leave me guessing. :confused:

Blitzkrieg
7/9/2008, 10:05 AM
Penn State in the 85 OB, they beat miami the next year, something we couln't do.

Jo Pa still had control of his mind (and his bladder) at that point.

Jdog
7/9/2008, 10:12 AM
I don't know why it is - maybe I'm a fatalist. I think about the times we had our best teams and lost. (KSU, LSU, USC) Those ones still leave me guessing. :confused:

Me too.:(

oudivesherpa
7/9/2008, 04:43 PM
Best team OU has beaten. Themselves. Fortunately, they don't do it too frequently.

goingoneight
7/9/2008, 10:10 PM
We did hold the most powerful offense in the world to 17 points last year.

rainiersooner
7/10/2008, 01:10 AM

I was just about to ask when the last time was that OU beat a time it should not have beaten? If you throw out the Texas games (because, no matter what is said on paper - it's alway a push)...I'm actually not sure...any thoughts?

NYC Poke
7/10/2008, 02:28 AM
We did hold the most powerful offense in the world to 17 points last year.

You guys like to rag on us for that slogan, and perhaps rightly so, but our offense was darn good last year. I viewed it as a pretty impressive defensive performance, about which you should be rightly proud.

I'd say all those Switzer wins against those 70s Nebraska teams were perhaps the best teams y'all have faced. The other team that springs to mind is the FSU game that got you your latest NC. I guess your defenses tend to do well against Earth's best offenses because FSU certainly had one that year, and your defense held them scoreless.

Soonersince57
7/22/2008, 02:59 PM
As a side note - - how about a very young '73 team that tied 7-7 with USC (the Haden/Swann team I believe).