PDA

View Full Version : Calhoun vs. Johnson?

soonerfan28
7/6/2008, 10:47 AM
I know that with Murray, Madu and Brown that it's not likely Calhoun or Johnson see any time this year, but if Calhoun is as good as advertised then maybe he'll get some snaps. We saw Johnson in the spring and I personally wasn't overly impressed, but it has to put him ahead of Calhoun in the regard that he's been able to see that playbook and workout at OU. I think Murray will be the feature back with Brown getting some snaps and maybe Madu in the blowouts.

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/4764/calhounuf8.jpg vs http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/7470/johnsonht5.jpg

MojoRisen
7/6/2008, 12:41 PM
Anybody hear if Demarco is 100%- did he loose any quickness etc.

I think we have to redshirt those guys - but if Calhoun is like All Day he may need to see the field by Texas game...

soonerfan28
7/6/2008, 12:48 PM
Did Murray actually tear anything or was it just a kneecap dislocation?

OU-HSV
7/6/2008, 12:52 PM
I think JJ looked pretty darn good in the spring game. But Calhoun is really hyped up...I'm not sure what the coaches will do, if I was to guess...I'd say one of those guys redshirts and the other will see some playing time. But we're so loaded at RB right now it's tough to say.

Jason White's Third Knee
7/6/2008, 01:07 PM
As long as the line doesn't jump off sides, you'll be able to put any of them back there. Our line is going to be a friggin' machine this year.

goingoneight
7/6/2008, 01:55 PM
I have to be honest... landing a highly regarded player is fun, especially getting them away from Hook'em... but I don't see anything that wows me in any of their videos so far that tells me they're an AD, a DeMarco or even an AP. I realize I'm not Stoops, nor Gundy, nor Wilson... but if this is what it appears to be, they'll probably spend some time with the scout team this year unless absoluely needed ala Chris Brown in 2006.

I like that JJ came early and started getting nicknames and the like from his new teammates... that's always a good sign early-on.

JLEW1818
7/6/2008, 03:02 PM
Calhoun is the big name with hype, throw him in there the first half of the game against Chattanooga and lets see what the boy can do.

KantoSooner
7/7/2008, 11:02 AM
I agree. If it looks like he needs more time, we can still redshirt him, right?

JLEW1818
7/7/2008, 11:04 AM
Yes, I'm sure Landry Jones will be a RS this year?

KantoSooner
7/7/2008, 11:08 AM
Same kind of deal, but, yeah, that would make sense to me. That would give him a theoretical two years as top dog after Sam plays his four. Assuming, if, etc.....

nativesooner
7/7/2008, 10:17 PM
Coach Gundy recently said that all of his guys will be 100% by July 1 and said Calhoun is a special, special player. He said the Jermie has what it takes and that the last couple of guys they thought this highly of were Peterson and Murray.

tulsaoilerfan
7/7/2008, 10:23 PM
Coach Gundy recently said that all of his guys will be 100% by July 1 and said Calhoun is a special, special player. He said the Jermie has what it takes and that the last couple of guys they thought this highly of were Peterson and Murray.

If they are gonna play either, i hope it's more than just a few snaps during the season; i recall several offensive players that only played a few snaps during their true freshmen seasons and basically wasted a year of eligibilty

JLEW1818
7/7/2008, 10:36 PM
Our team will be as good as our defense. All I can really say.

RedstickSooner
7/7/2008, 11:37 PM
Speaking of us being loaded at RB -- how in the heck do we keep landing such quality at the position? Is it all legacy from AD's time here? (I mean, if I were an RB, I would imagine I'd be rather inspired by AD... So that would kinda make sense.)

Is it just that they know Stoops will never, ever, ever run an offense that doesn't split snaps fairly evenly between the ground & passing games? (Plus we tend to have a good line, which has to appeal, too.)

Just seems like we get 1 or more top 5 backs every single year. Don't hardly seem fair ;)

JLEW1818
7/8/2008, 01:17 AM
Because Stoops tells his recruits " we are going to win with or without you." Plays a little hard to get sometimes, if that makes sense at all.

OU_Sooners75
7/8/2008, 05:17 AM
If they are gonna play either, i hope it's more than just a few snaps during the season; i recall several offensive players that only played a few snaps during their true freshmen seasons and basically wasted a year of eligibilty

if they do not play enough plays in the season, they can still redshirt, I do believe.

KantoSooner
7/8/2008, 10:12 AM
How do we continue to recruit excellent running backs? Lots of technical reasons, but essentially it's because OU has been a running back factory for the last 60 years at least (AD is a standout, but arguably would be no better than third on the all time list at OU). Like a panzer attack, success breeds success.

Salt City Sooner
7/8/2008, 11:02 AM
if they do not play enough plays in the season, they can still redshirt, I do believe.
Unless you get hurt, if you play one snap in a year, you've burned your 'shirt.

jdubb22bronco
7/8/2008, 11:24 AM
i liked how stoops used d. murray last year and i hope he does something similarly next year...we have the future of our backfield on campus ready to rock its best to play brown, murray, and madu and work the other two in to get experience and keep them healthy...

tulsaoilerfan
7/8/2008, 12:07 PM

Only for medical reasons; you play 1 play in a game and you have burned your redshirt; i also believe that to qualify for a medical, you have a certain amount of games you can play and if you have played more than that and get hurt then there's no medical redshirt there

SoonerSinger3
7/8/2008, 12:33 PM
Poor mossis madu may never see significant playing time at OU. he's a really good back, but with all that talent in norman it will be tough. I can see Murray being #1 of course, with Brown doing exactly what he's done the past two seasons, and maybe Calhoun stepping in at #3. who knows though. we will find out soon enough

JLEW1818
7/8/2008, 12:52 PM
Mossis Madu to DB ? maybe like a wolfe? Anybody got any opinion on that?

soonerfan28
7/8/2008, 05:34 PM
Mossis Madu to DB ? maybe like a wolfe? Anybody got any opinion on that?

Seems like that was said before. He would probably be a good DB and might make the transition easily. Heres the link.
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65560

snp
7/8/2008, 06:26 PM
I wouldn't RS either one of them. Early PT is a huge selling point for this staff especially at the RB position. Go ahead and give them a couple snaps a game and play them on ST. It's not like we have struggled recruiting RB the past few years.

Plus if Murray goes nuts this year, he could bolt to the NFL. He'll have to stay healthy but he'll be a combine freak.

Only for medical reasons; you play 1 play in a game and you have burned your redshirt; i also believe that to qualify for a medical, you have a certain amount of games you can play and if you have played more than that and get hurt then there's no medical redshirt there

You can play up to 30% of your teams games and still qualify for a medical RS.

soonerfan28
7/9/2008, 05:14 PM
I found this article about Calhoun and it seems like I read it before , but thought I would share it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/the_bonus/02/07/calhoun/index.html

Curly Bill
7/9/2008, 09:56 PM
With college players now able to bolt to the NFL three years after their high school class graduates red shirting is not such a bid deal anymore IMO. If they're an NFL quality player you might as well play them from day one because chances are they're leaving after three years on campus.

Do you want them to play for three years, or do you want them to red shirt for one and then only play two?

soonerfan28
7/9/2008, 10:01 PM
Yea, but if he's not gonna get touches then why use him. If he gets hurt down the road he'll have more time to play.

Curly Bill
7/9/2008, 10:04 PM
Yea, but if he's not gonna get touches then why use him. If he gets hurt down the road he'll have more time to play.

Of course if you're not gonna use them you don't want to burn the shirt.

...and I think there have been players we burnt that shirt for them to get too few plays during the year to justify it.

Curly Bill
7/9/2008, 10:06 PM
I just think in general red shirting is not as important as it used to be. Part of this due to scholarship reductions from the good ol' days when you could stockpile eleventy-billion players.

soonerfan28
7/9/2008, 10:11 PM
I think Murray will get 15-20 carries with Brown getting 10-15 and maybe Madu getting 5, but I think using 3 backs last year never allowed our RB's to get in sync. I think we could go with 2 and be good.

Curly Bill
7/9/2008, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I don't think we used our backs especially well last year either.