PDA

View Full Version : Mike Rich and you other Audio/Video geniuses

Shneeg11
7/5/2008, 06:22 PM
I am looking for a home theater receiver and speakers for my dad. The living room is a pretty open space with vaulted ceilings(if that matters). Preferably a system for under $600 but I don't know if that will get me anything decent. What say you?

TIA
Shneeg11

Shneeg11
7/5/2008, 10:15 PM
bump, anyone?

Czar Soonerov
7/5/2008, 10:19 PM
http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2008/02/Kipnis_1.jpg

Jerk
7/5/2008, 10:20 PM
85Sooner is the resident expert, I believe.

Frozen Sooner
7/5/2008, 10:32 PM
I am looking for a home theater receiver and speakers for my dad. The living room is a pretty open space with vaulted ceilings(if that matters). Preferably a system for under $600 but I don't know if that will get me anything decent. What say you?

TIA
Shneeg11

Define "decent." What features do you consider needs?

Shneeg11
7/5/2008, 11:05 PM
well, I want 5.1, at least 1000 watts, and really it can be a bit over $600, just in that ballpark. I was thinking something that is HDMI compatible, not sure if I want it to upscale as I plan on getting a blu-ray player soon. As far as features go, I really don't know what is available feature wise, really whatever you all think is good

Curly Bill
7/5/2008, 11:09 PM
http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2008/02/Kipnis_1.jpg

To be $600 or under you must have found all this on sale. :D

Frozen Sooner
7/6/2008, 12:06 AM
well, I want 5.1, at least 1000 watts, and really it can be a bit over $600, just in that ballpark. I was thinking something that is HDMI compatible, not sure if I want it to upscale as I plan on getting a blu-ray player soon. As far as features go, I really don't know what is available feature wise, really whatever you all think is good

You're not getting that for $600 speakers included. And you REALLY don't need 1000 watts per channel, unless your intention is to severely **** off the neighbors. Like Texas and Kansas.

OK, so if you're looking for HDMI-compatible, do you want a receiver that will decode advanced audio codecs or is one that will accept PCM multichannel sound enough? Or will you settle for HDMI-video passthrough only?

Onkyo, Yamaha, and Denon all make good receivers in the mid-price range. Onkyo tends to be the least expensive of the three. Personally, I'm not a fan of Onkyo's sound-their receivers sound a bit bright to me. Others really like them.

In your price range, speakers are going to be a big concern. 5 decent speakers plus a subwoofer are going to cost you some ching.

The HTIAB route might be a way to go, but it may be difficult to find one that will have an HDMI input for a BD player.

Shneeg11
7/6/2008, 12:22 AM
Fair enough, I guess I'm just gonna have to spend some more money for a good system, thanks guys I really appreciate it!

Frozen Sooner
7/6/2008, 12:26 AM
Well, you always COULD start out with just a receiver and two speakers, then add on more as budget allows. That's kind of how my home theater grew. It started out in 1993 as a TV, a pair of Pioneer speakers, a Pioneer receiver (that would matrix a center channel) and a Pioneer VHS player. Parts would get added or replaced over time-but believe it or not, I still have a pair of speakers I bought in 1995 in use in my home theater-a pair of Altec Lansing bookshelf speakers that I'm using for my rear surrounds.

Curly Bill
7/6/2008, 12:38 AM
Onkyo, Yamaha, and Denon all make good receivers in the mid-price range. Onkyo tends to be the least expensive of the three. Personally, I'm not a fan of Onkyo's sound-their receivers sound a bit bright to me. Others really like them.

I have an Onkyo system that I like quite a bit. Got it for like $700 on sale 3 or 4 years ago.

King Crimson
7/6/2008, 12:44 AM
i read good things about the Onkyo stuff when i was buying a new amp a few months ago. i bought an NAD. i've owned both a Yamaha and Denon amp; in fact, those are the two amps i've owned since 1984 until this new NAD. so, i think those are both solid.

speaking to Mike's Pioneer/1995 comment, i bought a Yamaha turntable, amp, cassette player and CD player and 2 JBL speakers in 1984 at Gramophone in Norman when i was in 8th grade. every component is still functional and sounds great (though i ditched the CD player about 10 years ago). my mom still uses the turntable. and if i lived in a bigger place, i'd mos def hook up the JBL's to go along with my old school Infinity's.

olevetonahill
7/6/2008, 12:54 AM
To be $600 or under you must have found all this on sale. :D

Them Dudes was selling that stuff right outa the Back of the truck, they swore it wasnt Hot.:D

Curly Bill
7/6/2008, 01:00 AM
i read good things about the Onkyo stuff when i was buying a new amp a few months ago. i bought an NAD. i've owned both a Yamaha and Denon amp; in fact, those are the two amps i've owned since 1984 until this new NAD. so, i think those are both solid.

speaking to Mike's Pioneer/1995 comment, i bought a Yamaha turntable, amp, cassette player and CD player and 2 JBL speakers in 1984 at Gramophone in Norman when i was in 8th grade. every component is still functional and sounds great (though i ditched the CD player about 10 years ago). my mom still uses the turntable. and if i lived in a bigger place, i'd mos def hook up the JBL's to go along with my old school Infinity's.

I read up on the type of surround systems I was looking for and found lots of good reviews on the Onkyo.

...and JBL's are good stuff. Before I bought the Onkyo system I thought about goin with some big honkin stereo speakers, receiver, CD player and building the surround from there, and the speakers I was gonna get were JBL's. Don't remember the model but they were some of those big ol' rascals.

Shneeg11
7/6/2008, 02:15 AM
I have found A set of Harman Kardon HKTS-18 5.1 speakers, and a Yamaha HTR-6140 Receiever for around $700, anything I should know about those? also, is an amp necessary? (I'm not very knowledgeable in home audio)

85Sooner
7/6/2008, 09:04 AM
Yamaha RXV663 HDMI1.3 Compatible 469.00
Paradigm Cinema90CT System 775.00

MOre than 600.00 but you WILL be happy for a long time.

sooneron
7/7/2008, 08:54 AM
Very good speakers--

http://av123.com/component/option,com_virtuemart/page,shop.browse/category_id,21/Itemid,37/

and they're purty to boot!

OU4LIFE
7/7/2008, 09:11 AM
Yamaha RXV663 HDMI1.3 Compatible 469.00
Paradigm Cinema90CT System 775.00

MOre than 600.00 but you WILL be happy for a long time.

he's more than correct here.

the Yamaha HTR stuff is low-end stuff for online retailers I think.

Taxman71
7/7/2008, 11:05 AM
You can get an Onkyo or Yamaha 5.1 A/V receiver online for under $300, then get a speaker package that fits in your budget...knowing you can upgrade later. At your price range (and with vaulted ceilings) you will not get a decent subwoofer, but you can get one later separately. And don't worry too much on your surrounds as they don't do alot....focus on your 3 front speakers.

I have all Paradigm in my main home theater, but have home theater direct out of Dallas (www.htd.com) in the other and like it nearly as much for much less $$$.

Shneeg11
7/7/2008, 11:44 AM
Ya, I ended up getting an entry level receiver and hkts-18 surround and when the budget allows i will make upgrades