PDA

View Full Version : When it's September 6th... your starting lineup is?

goingoneight
7/5/2008, 01:36 AM
This will be more interesting than picking what games we win or lose, who upsets who and who wins the MNC, blah-blah-blah.

goingoneight thinks:

QB Sam Bradford
RB DeMarco Murray
TE: Jermaine Gresham
WR1 Quentin Chaney (WR1 doesn't necessarily mean he's our best, it means he's the downfield 'Kelly' guy).
WR2 Juaqin Iglesias
WR3 Ryan Broyles (... but Manny still gets his fair share of touches. The coaching staff has been too in love with what this guy can do in an MJ-kinda role as a possession receiver.)
LT Tha LOAD
LG Dukezilla
C Coop
RG Branndon Braxton
RT Trent Williams

DE Auston English
DE Jeremy Beal
DT DeMarcus Granger
DT Gerald McCoy
LB Ryan Reynolds
LB Keenan Clayton
LB J.R. Bryant (I feel the staff will go with the "immediate solution" (JUCO) unless someone else steps up big in fall camp).
FS Lendy Holmes
SS Nic Harris
CB Dominique Franks
CB Brian Jackson

KR DeMarco Murray
KR Juaqin Iglesias
PR Dominique Franks, Juaqin Iglesias, Ryan Broyles

The guys we need to be focused on "showcasing:"
DeMarco Murray- if he's back to himself again, he'll once again prove why he needed a lot more touches than he got a year ago IMO.
Jermaine Gresham- a dominating presence always strikes fear in opposing DCs hearts... see: Adrian Peterson.
Quentin Chaney- it's step up or step aside time for QC. If he can't be a dominating downfield receiver, then the corps as a whole needs some shuffling and realignment. We need to get OUr downfield game in heavy practice like we did early on last year with MK in order for the offense to set the tone on the season. I, for one think he can do it. I've seen a lot worse performers in the Stoops tenure who people just clammored about in the off-season... See: Rhett Bomar, Keenan Clayton the "potential All American" safety, etc.

Guys who won't start but will see plenty of action include:
Chris Brown, Brody Eldridge, Manuel Johnson, Mossi Madu, anyone labeled a lineman (X and O), and one of the n00b running backs.

Do I think this will last all season? Obviously not... things change almost always with injury, on-field performance, disciplinary reasons and development.

JLEW1818
7/5/2008, 03:25 AM
You don't see Sims starting at db ?

JLEW1818
7/5/2008, 03:30 AM
Also Branndon Braxton is the returning right tackle, and Brandon Walker is the returning guard. Did you miss something or did I ?

SouthFortySooner
7/5/2008, 06:41 AM
Looks good and exciting. I don't think any back not listed will see "plenty of action", though. Wishful thinking is Calhoun or Johnson are good enough. :D

RedstickSooner
7/5/2008, 07:05 AM
I was thinking: Nachos, Big Red, and a third snackfood to be named later.

Sooner_09
7/5/2008, 10:08 AM
I see us starting out in a split I formation. Just my opinion..
QB: Bradford
FB: Clapp
RB: Murray
TE: Gresham (Split out)
WR: Iggy
WR: Johnson
LT: Loadholt
LG: Duke
C: Cooper
RG: Walker
RT: Williams

DE: English
DT: Granger
DT: McCoy
DE: Williams
SLB: Clayton
MLB: Reynolds
WLB: Bryant
FCB: Franks
FS: Harris
SS: Holmes
BCB: Jackson

IronHorseSooner
7/5/2008, 10:25 AM
Offense

QB- Sam
RB- DM
TE- Gresham
WR- Cheney
WR- Iggy
WR- M. Johnson
LT- Big Phil
LG- Duke
C- Cooper
RG- Walker
RT- Braxton

Defense

DE- English
DE- Williams
DT- Granger
DT- Williams
OLB- Clayton
MLB- Reynolds
OLB- Lewis
CB- Franks
SS- Holmes
FS- Harris
CB- Jackson

Special Teams
P- Knall
K- (XPs and under 40): Stevens
K- (40+ FGs and KO): Way
PR- Franks, Sims
KR- Murray, Sims

IronHorseSooner
7/5/2008, 10:26 AM
The other DT- McCoy, not Williams

OU-HSV
7/5/2008, 10:59 AM
So who do you all think will be using at punt returns and kickoff returns.
Do we use Iglesias, Franks and DM in some combination...or do we go with a young guy trying to make a name for himself??
Or does DM stay strictly as our #1 RB now, especially considering his knee sitation?

MojoRisen
7/5/2008, 11:49 AM
I think Sam Proctor will push for time and we move Lendy Holmes back to Corner Back.

Nic Harris SS
Sam Proctor FS
Lendy Holmes CB Short
Dominique Franks CB Long

Move Nick to Nickle and bring in Brian Jackson for Nickle packages

soonerfan28
7/5/2008, 11:58 AM
Also Branndon Braxton is the returning right tackle, and Brandon Walker is the returning guard. Did you miss something or did I ?
Jlew Braxton said something about practicing at guard some in the spring and said he would play where they wanted him. I think Braxton and Trent will split time at RT like they did last year because Stoops has said that Walker has been the most consistent blocker and then you have Simmons who could easily see time at DT where we recruited him to, but they have him at RG also.

Dan Thompson
7/5/2008, 12:27 PM
who's going to start on August 30th?

yermom
7/5/2008, 12:29 PM
yeah, i figure we'll know a lot by September 6th :D

soonerfan28
7/5/2008, 01:12 PM
QB - Bradfrod
TB - Murray
FB/WR - Clapp/Broyles
WR - Iglesias
WR - Johnson
TE - Gresham/Eldridge 60/40
LT - Loadholt
LG - Robinson
C - Cooper
RG - Walker/Simmons 50/50
RT - Braxton/Williams 50/50

I think Broyles will be the 3rd receiver when Clapp isn't in, but I believe that because Eldridge is so good that we could move Gresham out and take advantage of a mismatch. I would really like to see Chaney be one of the top 3, but he needs to show he can be more consistent. I think we will see more of Clapp this year. He had a really good winter and spring. I think it will only benefit the offense to get Simmons and Williams some snaps and they were good last year.

DE - English/Alexander (Washington on a few 3rd downs)
DT - Granger/Bennett
DT - McCoy/Moore
DE - Beal/Williams (McGee maybe on a few plays)
SLB - Clayton
MLB - Reynolds
WLB - Lewis/Box
CB - Franks
CB -Jackson
SS - Holmes
FS - Harris

I think we will have quite a few guys on the DL see time this year and Venables has already said that he could see using R.J. as 3rd down DE. I think Clayton and Reynold will be starters and I think Lewis and Box will split time in the first game and whoever does best will start in game 2, but they might both play. CB is set and I don't think Holmes will be coming back, but if either gets burned then Holmes is nice to have in your hip pocket. Harris starts and I would like to say Proctor plays, but that would depend on Franks and Jackson. It's so nice to be able to have the problem of having so much talent to choose from. I think Sims could be a great PR and KR man if he can make it to campus.

JLEW1818
7/5/2008, 01:56 PM
Jlew Braxton said something about practicing at guard some in the spring and said he would play where they wanted him. I think Braxton and Trent will split time at RT like they did last year because Stoops has said that Walker has been the most consistent blocker and then you have Simmons who could easily see time at DT where we recruited him to, but they have him at RG also.

Thanks for the info.

Does anybody know if David Sims is on campus? In that case I figured he would be one of the starting DB's ? He was an All American in juco, I know its Juco but still. I also see Manuel Johnson being our number 2 WR. He has the most experience on the team, besides Iggy. Q had a break out game in January, like somebody said earlier I see him being a down field WR. And I see one of the freshman having a breakout game against the shorthorns. Why not.

MojoRisen
7/5/2008, 02:07 PM
Sims will be on campus and will not be able to participate in summer drills but will be ready for August with out any qualification issues.

soonerfan28
7/5/2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the info.

Does anybody know if David Sims is on campus? In that case I figured he would be one of the starting DB's ? He was an All American in juco, I know its Juco but still. I also see Manuel Johnson being our number 2 WR. He has the most experience on the team, besides Iggy. Q had a break out game in January, like somebody said earlier I see him being a down field WR. And I see one of the freshman having a breakout game against the shorthorns. Why not.

If you go to ouinsider.com they have a story about how he is still having trouble getting to campus. I think he had an exam he still hasn't completed or passed and I'm not sure he'll start this year because of the development your boy Franks and Jackson being so good that they can put Holmes back at safety with Harris. If I'm not mistaken Sims at some point or another ran a legit 4.38 and was a PR and KR man in juco and he also played RB his freshman year of juco, so he has to have some pretty good moves. I'll see if I can find video of Sims running the ball.

OU_Sooners75
7/6/2008, 04:41 AM
QB: Bradford
RB: Murray
TE: Gresham
WR: Iggy
WR: Johnson
WR: Chaney
LT: Loadholt
LG: Duke
C: Cooper
RG: Walker
RT: Williams

DE: English
DT: Granger
DT: McCoy
DE: Williams
SLB: Reynolds
MLB: Balogun
WLB: Bryant
FCB: Franks
FS: Harris
SS: Holmes
BCB: Jackson
NB: Sims (if he makes it)

olevetonahill
7/6/2008, 05:06 AM
yeah, i figure we'll know a lot by September 6th :D

What the Hell , These nOObs trying to cheat me outta game ?
:mad: