PDA

View Full Version : Ford Center?

SteelClip49
7/4/2008, 01:45 PM
A friend said that the OKC Ford Dealers have yet to sponsor the team and if that remains the case, there could be a new name for the arena. I don't know the entire truth behind this but if it's the case, then I say it should be renamed to be known as the SONIC CENTER...:D

BigRedJed
7/4/2008, 02:06 PM
The agreement with the the dealers provides the naming contract is immediately up for renegotiation should an NBA or NHL become an official tenant. The lease agreement (already signed) with the NBA team provides that they get all of the proceeds from any additional naming rights revenue, save the amount already being paid to the City. Therefore, they can go out and re-sell the arena's name (with the city having some veto power), so long as the city gets the same value.

The name is already in play.

The Ford dealers get first right of refusal, but if someone out-bids them, it is the Ford Center no more. The Ford dealers association paid plenty for the current deal, but lucked into an unforseen amazing situation with the Hornets playing there. They got far more exposure than they paid for. They won't be able to pay the kind of money that will be required to keep their name on the building. The only way they could pull it off is if they involve Ford Motor Company, which might be tough. As successful as they are, I can't imagine that Sonic could pony up at that level, either.

My guess is that the building ends up with a different name.

Paperclip
7/4/2008, 02:32 PM
Well, since we're not sponsoring a shotgun this year...

PhilTLL
7/4/2008, 03:04 PM
Getting an apparently "national" name out of a sponsorship with a local consortium is small-time, anyway. **** 'em.

Flagstaffsooner
7/4/2008, 03:05 PM
May end up as another Gay-Lord thing.:mad:

Frozen Sooner
7/4/2008, 03:15 PM
Well, since we're not sponsoring a shotgun this year...

UFIA Center?

Mixer!
7/4/2008, 04:11 PM
I bet it won't be called the Express Sports arena. :pop:

BigRedJed
7/4/2008, 05:23 PM
Got that right.

King Crimson
7/4/2008, 05:32 PM
well, i'd say call her but the name "Jenny Craig Pavillion" is already taken by SDSU's hoops arena.

birddog
7/4/2008, 05:35 PM
i heard eschbach is donating his hat and his restaurant space to the ford center for naming rights.

Soonrboy
7/4/2008, 06:05 PM
It'd be cool if the team is the Thunderbirds and Ford sponsored it...ford thunderbird dome..

yermom
7/4/2008, 06:06 PM
maybe Starbucks Center?

King Crimson
7/4/2008, 06:08 PM
It'd be cool if the team is the Thunderbirds and Ford sponsored it...ford thunderbird dome..

actually, i'd work it the other way. Ford goes to the "Sonics" ownership group and says we got the money, but the team is called T-Birds or Mustangs.

we'd come off looking stupid corporate shil, but who doesn't these days?

i personally prefer Barons.

King Crimson
7/4/2008, 06:09 PM
maybe Starbucks Center?

for a team that just left Seattle?

Harry Beanbag
7/4/2008, 06:36 PM
for a team that just left Seattle?

Yes, that would be awesome. :)

PhilTLL
7/4/2008, 08:05 PM

Is "cool" the word you were looking for, or "incredibly corny-***"?

Dio
7/5/2008, 08:44 AM
Starbucks should catch gonhorrea and die. **** that indian-giver.

yermom
7/5/2008, 11:27 AM
now we're talking

that would be a great name for the place :D

Turd_Ferguson
7/5/2008, 11:37 AM
now we're talking

that would be a great name for the place :D

**** that indian-giver.:confused:

yermom
7/5/2008, 11:52 AM
yeah, the "Starbucks should catch gonhorrea and die. **** that indian-giver. Center"

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/5/2008, 11:55 AM
Or the 'I Hope A Million Fire Ants Form A Colony In The Cracka Yo ***, Starbucks Guy' Center.

Paperclip
7/5/2008, 12:26 PM

You'd prefer Native-American giver?

Lott's Bandana
7/5/2008, 12:38 PM
It doesn't have to be the "anything Center".

They could be the Twisters and play at Tornado Alley.

Or, the Mustangs/Stallions and play at the OK Corral. (why don't geldings get any love? Oh wait...)

The Barons could play in the Energy Center. (Dwindling Fossil Fuels Arena?)

There is a local restaurant chain in NorCal called Eppie's. Now they would be a cool group to sponsor a "Center".

Since we already hate the Mav's, how bout teh You Can't Dance For Shayit Mr Dry Ethnic Sandwich Palace? Teach ya to vote agin us, yo.

King Crimson
7/5/2008, 12:43 PM
i think the only answer is to go local and call it Earl's Rib Palace.

yermom
7/5/2008, 12:47 PM
well, if it goes national, it's probably going to be something dumb like Office Max Arena or something

Dio
7/5/2008, 12:52 PM

Howard Schultz, the Starbucks owner who sold the Sonics to Clay Bennett and is now suing to get the team back.

Dio
7/5/2008, 12:54 PM
i think the only answer is to go local and call it Earl's Rib Palace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PkgOqVdpkU

King Crimson
7/5/2008, 01:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PkgOqVdpkU

works for me. Mr. Spriggs BBQ Arena (meat falls off the bone).

SteelClip49
7/5/2008, 01:03 PM
Mongo Dome

Lott's Bandana
7/5/2008, 01:14 PM
well, if it goes national, it's probably going to be something dumb like Office Max Arena or something

The Depends Arena

"Where's the game tonight?"

"Depends."

Soonerfan88
7/5/2008, 03:52 PM
In one of the articles/time lines I read on newsok.com, it said Oklahoma Ford Dealers had a 180 day exclusive negotiating period to extend the sponsorship.

Guess I'm another "corny" one because I really like the Ford Thunderbird tie-in. Make it even better by drawing from season ticket holders and giving away a commemorative T-bird every year. If they offered a '55-'57 and probably through '60, I'd buy the tickets just for a chance at the car. :D

And the entire '70s line would have to be eliminated from the drawings. :eek:

bluedogok
7/6/2008, 10:46 PM
maybe Starbucks Center?
Well, since Schultz wouldn't do that, how about the "other" coffee shop up there, The Seattle's Best Coffee Center :D