PDA

View Full Version : Four Sooners on Maxwell List

JLEW1818
7/4/2008, 01:43 PM
Four Sooners on Maxwell List

Award honors top player in college football

July 3, 2008

NORMAN, Okla. - Four members of Oklahoma's football team are on the watch list for the 2008 Maxwell Award. The honor is presented annually to the top player in college football.

The Sooners on the list include QB Sam Bradford, TE Jermaine Gresham, WR Juaquin Iglesias and RB Demarco Murray.

Bradford led the nation in passing efficiency last season as a freshman. Gresham caught 11 touchdown passes in 2007, to tie for the second-highest figure in school history.

Iglesias was OU's top receiver last season in catches and yards with 68 for 907, respectively. He also returned 29 kickoffs for an average of 28.5 yards, a figure that ranked No. 16 nationally.

Murray missed Oklahoma's last three games due to a kneecap injury, but was electrifying when he was on the field. He rushed 127 times for 764 yards and 13 touchdowns. Like Iglesias, he was one of the top kick returners in the country with 15 for a 29.3-yard average that ranked No. 7 among Football Bowl Subdivision programs.

The 2008 award will be the 72nd for the Maxwell. Two Sooners have won the award. Tommy McDonald won it in 1956, and was followed by Jason White in 2004

OU-HSV
7/4/2008, 02:10 PM
You're too late with this one/I posted it the other day :) :
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115137

JLEW1818
7/4/2008, 06:30 PM
oh sorry about that. How many did we have on it last year?

goingoneight
7/5/2008, 01:51 AM
It's true that you don't have to be on a list to win an award, but it really helps if you are on one. Examples include jason White's Heisman trophy when no none expected him to make it through the North Texas warmups, Curtis Lofton's All America honors, Adrian Peterson second in the Heisman, etc. See the counter: Troy Smith wins a Heisman with worse numbers than Sam Bradford had as a freshman.

Point: If Slingin' Sammy is on people's Heisman lists, we make it to 13-0 and he has 34 TDs and seven picks going into post-season play... it doesn't matter if Graham Harrell threw for 10,000 yards and 90 TDS with 45 INTs... you know who would get the media love for NY.

I'd love to see all of OUr "list guys" play well with plenty of "surprise guys" along the way. :D

JLEW1818
7/5/2008, 03:22 AM
surprise guys = Franks, Sims, Clayton

OU-HSV
7/5/2008, 10:11 AM
oh sorry about that. How many did we have on it last year?

no biggy, I was just giving you a heads up

I think Franks and Clayton will both have a big year