PDA

View Full Version : My night was hell..thank God for airbags

OU-HSV
7/4/2008, 02:05 AM
We were in a bad car accident early this evening.
My wife, my 3+ year old son, my buddy and his fiance (and I was driving)..I was northbound...A southbound guy didn't yield to me and turned left in front of me. (I had the green light) I was going 35 to 40 and basically head-on hit this person when he turned. I couldn't even see him til I hit him and my airbag deployed and we were all screaming..I think I hit my brakes for all of a millisecond.

My son was in the back seat..his new booster seat did an excellent job of restraining him..he does have a little bruise on his face and a seatbelt burn on his neck. I hope I never have to hear him scream like he did tonight again. It was a very scary moment.

My buddy's fiance wasn't buckled up..she flew from the middle of the rear seat up over my right shoulder and she and I both hit my airbag. Had she not hit my airbag, she would've gone head first into the windshield (which shattered up anyways). She ended up with a very bruised leg..we initially thought it was broken.

My buddy busted his nose on the headrest of my seat...my wife sprained her ankle badly and has some bad marks from the seat belt.

I thought I broke my right foot and my left clavicle (sp?) But they didn't really start hurting badly until we got to the hospital. The Xrays showed that I only have severe bruises to both the mentioned areas.

My car has got to be totaled (which is the least of my worries).

People, it can't be said enough, seatbelts and airbags will save you more than they'll hurt you....please believe it.
One minute your on a peaceful trip to a nice dinner w/friends and family...the next minute your in a bad accident.
Hug your kids today/tonight and I hope none of you have to deal w/a moment like this ever.
As bad as the wreck was, our injuries could've been much worse. I'm very thankful we made it out as well as we did. However we're sore as hell and looks like I'm gonna have to be laid out all weekend w/my foot elevated and taking some pain pills.

Everyone be safe out there.

r5TPsooner
7/4/2008, 02:14 AM
I moved here last year and Oklahoma has some very stupidly aggressive drivers.

Good luck and give my best to your family.

OU-HSV
7/4/2008, 02:15 AM
I moved here last year and Oklahoma has some very stupidly aggressive drivers.

Good luck and give my best to your family.

That's for sure...
And thank you

tommieharris91
7/4/2008, 02:18 AM
I always buckle up, even for the shortest trips. Nice to hear no one was hurt.

yermom
7/4/2008, 02:19 AM
cha-ching

$$$

ok, seriously, glad you are ok. i'd guess you'll be feeling it tomorrow

OU-HSV
7/4/2008, 02:22 AM
Yeah TH, we buckle up as well...and I bet my buddy's fiance does too from now on.

Thanks Yermom, I'm feeling it now already getting stiff from just sitting here with a bag of frozen bag of broccoli on my foot. Took a pain pill a bit ago, so it should lighten up soon hopefully.

Tailwind
7/4/2008, 02:36 AM
Oh thank God your injuries were minor! Too bad about your car, hope insurance will replace it. Was the guilty party injured?

OU-HSV
7/4/2008, 02:47 AM
Oh thank God your injuries were minor! Too bad about your car, hope insurance will replace it. Was the guilty party injured?

I don't think he was injured. And his vehicle didn't have near the damage mine had.
He went to the hospital when we did...he left after like 10 minutes...we were there for a couple of hours.
I just hope insurance things work out...I'm insured..he supposedly was, but he also had another accident recently from what I understand. So we'll see what happens I guess.

OUbones
7/4/2008, 03:42 AM
Glad everyone's safe! I really don't understand why people don't wear seatbelts, you may only have one chance.

I always buckle up, even for the shortest trips. Nice to hear no one was hurt.

When I was in high school a student got seriously injuried moving his car 30 yrds from the teachers area to the students area, didn't put on his seatbelt for the 30 sec move.

Last time I got pulled over, 5 over no ticket, cop thanked me 3 times because I was wearing my seatbelt. Said he worked an accident earlier that night that was probably gonna end up a fatality cause the person didn't have their belt on. Get those belts on people!

Frozen Sooner
7/4/2008, 04:01 AM
Glad you and yours are OK. And hey, look on the bright side-this is a REALLY good time to be in the market for a new rig. :D

olevetonahill
7/4/2008, 05:20 AM
Damn Bro , Just saw this , Yall are gonna be some sore Mofos . But its better than being Dead Mofos
Im gonna pray fer Yall . And thank God Yall wernt Hurt worse !

Howzit
7/4/2008, 06:23 AM
Very scary. Glad everyone is ok.

Jerk
7/4/2008, 06:44 AM
I'm glad you and your family are okay.

OUHOMER
7/4/2008, 06:46 AM
Glad your OK, I know its a scary moment trying to make sure everybodys OK

SoonerBOI
7/4/2008, 06:55 AM
Glad everyone is. God bless.

85Sooner
7/4/2008, 07:26 AM
Glad your OKay. Hope everyone recovers soon.

Okla-homey
7/4/2008, 08:11 AM
glad everything seems to have turned out alright. I bet you folks will be sore for a while

Make sure you notify your insurance company, but if I were you, I'd start out by making a claim against the company of the guy who hit you. That way, no deductibles. If it turns out he doesn't have insurance, or doesn't have enough to cover y'alls med bills, your UM coverage takes care of those. Remember, UM doesn't cover your vehicle. So, if he's uninsured, your policy pays for your crushed car.

Oh, one more thing. You prolly have "med pay" on your policy. You get to "double-dip" and claim that coverage to pay for your family's ER bills, and recover from his policy for those same bills.

7/4/2008, 08:19 AM
Nothing like trama to make you wake up for a while and realize what it is all about. Thank God everone is OK. So many times it doesn't end up that way.

King Crimson
7/4/2008, 08:26 AM
glad everything is OK. as much as manufacturers and consumers conspire to create a womb-like pleasure experience in the car....it's serious business to flying along 100 feet per second in a metal box with wheels.

my sister had an airbag experience that probably saved her from fairly serious neck and spine injuries. i've already got a friend who's a quadriplegic from a car accident. really bad deal.

good on ya and the family HSV.

royalfan5
7/4/2008, 08:28 AM
glad y'all made it through in one piece.

Soonrboy
7/4/2008, 08:31 AM
Man, I'm terrible about buckling up. I'll remember this story and start doing it.
Glad your little man, wife and friends, and you got out of that situation without too much damage. I know you are probably still wired for sound.

Hope they gave you all some pain medication for today.

StoopTroup
7/4/2008, 09:32 AM
OU-HSV...

So glad all of you are OK.

Remember...some of us here are pain experts. :D

If your pain does go away in 30 -40 minutes after taking your first pill....take another.

you can't play catch up with pain. You either make it go away or it stays around like a bad hangover.

YWIA :D

Lott's Bandana
7/4/2008, 09:45 AM
It doesn't seem like it now (ouch), but you know it was your lucky night.

How many times has the exact same scenario played out with a death resulting? At that speed, physics took over and all of you are quite blessed, 'specially the little one. He will always wear his seat belt from this point on in life, I'm guessing.

I am quite interested what make vehicle you were in that literally saved your life?

Very thankful you are in such good shape afterwards to share your story, HSV...

Buy a lottery ticket, you won once already.

OU-HSV
7/4/2008, 10:50 AM
Thank you all for your thoughts, advice, prayers, etc.

All of us are actually not as sore as we thought we'd be. I mean, we're all sore in the areas where our pain was located last night, but as far as our bodies/neck and back...we're feeling better than we thought. I took one pain pill last night before I went to bed..didn't seem to phase me, may have to take 2 the next time.

And my son is running around the house like normal...go figure, playing with his cars.

I called my insurance this morning and got the ball rolling, so hopefully things will go as smoothly as possible.
Thank you all again

Okla-homey
7/4/2008, 10:56 AM
Thank you all for your thoughts, advice, prayers, etc.

All of us are actually not as sore as we thought we'd be. I mean, we're all sore in the areas where our pain was located last night, but as far as our bodies/neck and back...we're feeling better than we thought. I took one pain pill last night before I went to bed..didn't seem to phase me, may have to take 2 the next time.

And my son is running around the house like normal...go figure, playing with his cars.

I called my insurance this morning and got the ball rolling, so hopefully things will go as smoothly as possible.
Thank you all again

Super! Now, just make sure everyone is okay before you sign anything other than a medical records authorization form asked for by your insurance company.

OU-HSV
7/4/2008, 10:59 AM
Super! Now, just make sure everyone is okay before you sign anything other than a medical records authorization form asked for by your insurance company.

You betcha. Thanks for the good advice here and your previous post

Oh and forgot to mention.. my vehicle is/was a pontiac grand-am

Okla-homey
7/4/2008, 11:10 AM
You betcha. Thanks for the good advice here and your previous post

Oh and forgot to mention.. my vehicle is/was a pontiac grand-am

Its just important for people to understand they have leverage over their own insurance company because they have a contract with them to provide benefits under the policy.

In contrast, people have no contract rights against the other guy's insurance company. That doesn't mean they can't make a claim against them. That's what I did last fall and it worked out good for me -- because there are no "deductibles" in that scenario. Also, its tough for your insurance comapny to justify raising your premiums because you had a wreck if the other guy's company paid for it.

GrapevineSooner
7/4/2008, 11:42 AM
Good to hear everybody's OK, all things considered.

GottaHavePride
7/4/2008, 12:35 PM
Dang, glad you're ok, HSV.

ATTENTION HILLBILLIES:
This is the deadliest weekend of the year for car accidents. BE SAFE!

StoopTroup
7/4/2008, 12:38 PM
Teh Wife and me just finished a 50 mile ride on the bike...

So far it's a drunk free zone...but it won't last long.

BigRedJed
7/4/2008, 12:41 PM
Glad you're all OK.

Newbomb Turk
7/4/2008, 01:59 PM
glad you're ok HSV.

soonerboomer93
7/4/2008, 03:43 PM
glad you and the family are ok

good to hear the boy is up running around and playing like nothing happened

OU-HSV
7/4/2008, 03:47 PM
glad you and the family are ok

good to hear the boy is up running around and playing like nothing happened

Thank you, we were worried about how traumatic it would be on him. I was worried about nightmares he may have and stuff.
Although it's not even 24 hours since our accident...I still say he's such a tough kid...he should be fine.

Mixer!
7/4/2008, 04:08 PM
Glad to read that everything turned out for the best, HSV.

nmsoonergirl
7/4/2008, 08:32 PM
Kids are amazing in their ability to recover from things.

I'm so glad you all are okay...what a scary deal.

And please tell EVERY SINGLE person you talk to about the accident that the booster seat helped keep the boy safe. I find that often even people who were great about using infant car seats can be pretty hit or miss using booster seats, and they are really important.

Curly Bill
7/4/2008, 11:58 PM
Prayers for you and yours. Speedy recovery.

OklaPony
7/5/2008, 09:49 AM
Man, this kind of stuff is just scary to read about. It's good to hear that y'all came out of it relatively unscathed. I took my gf and 3 friends/co-workers to a 4th celebration up near Arcadia in my new Expedition last night and on the way back I had some goober swerve into my lane as I was overtaking him in the passing lane on 35S. Thankfully I was able to avoid him but it was still a scare.

P.S. - I've got an '05 Expedition for sale. Yeah, the mileage sucks and you'd be another SUV drivin' land-thief hillbilly like me, but run this same accident scenario and guess whose vehicle is most likely to be totalled... probably not yours!

OU-HSV
7/5/2008, 10:08 AM
Man, this kind of stuff is just scary to read about. It's good to hear that y'all came out of it relatively unscathed. I took my gf and 3 friends/co-workers to a 4th celebration up near Arcadia in my new Expedition last night and on the way back I had some goober swerve into my lane as I was overtaking him in the passing lane on 35S. Thankfully I was able to avoid him but it was still a scare.

P.S. - I've got an '05 Expedition for sale. Yeah, the mileage sucks and you'd be another SUV drivin' land-thief hillbilly like me, but run this same accident scenario and guess whose vehicle is most likely to be totalled... probably not yours!

Well, I doubt we'll be getting an SUV mainly for the gas mileage reasons. We actually traded our jeep cherokee in on the car that we had the accident in because of gas mileage. It only made sense.
We were actually talking about that last night..."what if we had been in our old jeep grand cherokee". And I told my wife that the guy we hit would be in a lot worse shape than he ended up.

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/5/2008, 11:42 AM
Daaaaaaaaaaang.

Glad you guys are okay. Good luck with the rest of the junk that goes along with these things.

But that's later, I guess. We're glad you're all okay and good on ya for buckling up.

soonerhubs
7/5/2008, 01:41 PM
I'm glad you and your family are safe HSV. My prayers are for a quick healing for everyone. Some days I wonder why people aren't safer drivers. I think we all take for granted how easily we can kill or be killed in these automobiles we drive.

OU-HSV
7/7/2008, 03:39 PM
Well, the headache of dealing with tons of different insurance phone calls gathering all my information about the accident, injuries, etc. has begun. Hope this gets smooth soon.

Thank you all again for your thoughts.

DBrown
7/7/2008, 04:13 PM
Be advised the "Brain-Box" of both vehicles can be accessed,
much like a flight recorder,to determine all specifics at the moment of
impact.
Watch what you say....record everything....and be sure your attorney
is fully informed.
Hope you all fully recover in ALL ways!

NormanPride
7/7/2008, 04:32 PM
Man, good to hear things are better now. What was the other guy driving? It's nice that nobody was seriously injured... I've seen more run red lights this past weekend than in 3 years of living here in Tulsa! What's the deal, people?

OU-HSV
7/7/2008, 05:49 PM
Man, good to hear things are better now. What was the other guy driving? It's nice that nobody was seriously injured... I've seen more run red lights this past weekend than in 3 years of living here in Tulsa! What's the deal, people?

The other person was in a minivan.

People are dumb ;)

Okla-homey
7/7/2008, 06:49 PM
Be advised the "Brain-Box" of both vehicles can be accessed,
much like a flight recorder,to determine all specifics at the moment of
impact.
Watch what you say....record everything....and be sure your attorney
is fully informed.
Hope you all fully recover in ALL ways!

no foolin'. A while back, I was involved in an investigation where that system (in a 2000 Chevy Malibu) proved our lady was buckled-up and the precise speed of her car at impact.