PDA

View Full Version : My, My, what a difference a few months makes...

Okla-homey
7/3/2008, 08:03 PM
When BHO was sweeping HRC's legs in the primary campaign, it was "everybody out of Iraq within 16 months of my inauguration -- two combat brigades a month, no excuses." Of course, that really went over huge among the anti-war set.

Now that he's got his nom locked-up and faces someone with substantive experience in national security policy, BHO said this morning, he didn't really mean it. He said he'd "listen to the commanders on the ground" and take their advice.

Now, would that be a "flip," or a "flop," or just plain old garden-variety saying whatever he needs to say to get elected?

Mind you, I approve of this new position of no timetables and no guarentees, held for a couple hours today. But hold the phone! The pollsters revealed that didn't go down well with his Big Rock Candy Mounties. He had another press conference this afternoon to clarify he still favors his 16 month timetable. It's enough to make a feller dizzy.

Seems to me, if a person is looking for a "get out of Iraq NOW" candidate, there weren't any left...until this afternoon. Even after the pressie, BHO says we'll need "residual troops" in Iraq. Can anyone remember "Diem Bin Phu?" You know, "residual troops" the French left to mind the store while they pulled most everyone else out of French Indochina. Oh well, tomorrow's another day.

Maybe he'll hedge, obfuscate and prevaricate again. After all, he's winging it.

Kinda like the "I will take public campaign dollars" but after his peeps told him the campaign was flush, he said something to the effect of "never mind."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080703/D91MKTFG1.html

KC//CRIMSON
7/3/2008, 08:16 PM
You're gonna blow an aneurysm if this guy becomes your next president, huh?

Okla-homey
7/3/2008, 08:19 PM
You're gonna blow an aneurysm if this guy becomes your next president, huh?

Nope. If it happens, he'll be my Commander-in-Chief and he'll have my support, loyalty and prayers.

KC//CRIMSON
7/3/2008, 08:23 PM
Nope. If it happens, he'll be my Commander-in-Chief and he'll have my support, loyalty and prayers.

So you won't support him before the vote, but you will after the election?

Sounds like a flip-flop to me.:D

Okla-homey
7/3/2008, 08:26 PM
So you won't support him before the vote, but you will after the election?

Sounds like a flip-flop to me......:D

Nope. Until he's elected, he's just a extremely liberal scam artist. If he wins a majority of the Electoral College, under our system, he's The Man and I STFU.

KC//CRIMSON
7/3/2008, 08:39 PM
Nope. Until he's elected, he's just a extremely liberal scam artist. If he wins a majority of the Electoral College, under our system, he's The Man and I STFU.

Homey...Homey...Homeboy

That is the biggest piece of cake in the history of having your cake and eating it too. Hope you gotta big fork!

Frozen Sooner
7/3/2008, 11:29 PM
Er, Homey, did you bother to read the link you posted? 'Cause it directly contradicts what you said.

He said what he learns from military commanders on his upcoming trip to Iraq will refine his policy but "not the 16-month timetable" for withdrawing U.S. troops from combat in Iraq. He said what he learns could affect how many residual troops might be needed to train the Iraqi army and police.

olevetonahill
7/3/2008, 11:33 PM
I guess Homester shoulda Linked this one also .
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080704/ap_on_el_pr/obama_iraq

Frozen Sooner
7/3/2008, 11:35 PM
I guess Homester shoulda Linked this one also .
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080704/ap_on_el_pr/obama_iraq

Which still doesn't say what he claimed.

SCOUT
7/3/2008, 11:55 PM
Which still doesn't say what he claimed.

It clarifies (or spins) it though. Is Barack taking John up on his invite to visit Iraq together or does he prefer to go it alone?

King Crimson
7/4/2008, 12:18 AM
When BHO was sweeping HRC's legs in the primary campaign, i was posting a new thread every week about how he couldn't win the nomination...

fixed. ;)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/4/2008, 12:24 AM
"Clinton may have been the First Black President, but Obama is the First Black Clinton!"-Beau Snerdley circa 6-30-08

King Crimson
7/4/2008, 12:27 AM
"Clinton may have been the First Black President, but Obama is the First Black Clinton!"-Beau Snerdley circa 6-30-08

wait, my friend, i thought Obama=Jimmy Carter? now, it's the Clinton smear you are working--i get it, slick and style over substance, can't be trusted etc.

7/4/2008, 01:03 AM
wait, my friend, i thought Obama=Jimmy Carter? now, it's the Clinton smear you are working--i get it, slick and style over substance, can't be trusted etc.Does what you have said mean you think Obama would be an acceptable president?

Vaevictis
7/4/2008, 01:04 AM
I always put the 'out of Iraq in X months' campaign pledge in the same boat as Bush's 'no new taxes' pledge.

Both are transparent appeals to the base, and both are promises you know up front that might very well be beyond their ability to fulfill.

(At least, if they're sane and willing to look at the then-present facts and determine the correct course. If they stick to it in spite of facts indicating they shouldn't, then you've got a real problem.)

King Crimson
7/4/2008, 01:39 AM
Does what you have said mean you think Obama would be an acceptable president?

a pretty loaded question, what does "acceptable" mean (other than you find him unacceptable)? who is the agent of "accepting"? i generally vote 3rd party for the POTUS. somebody has to.

for me, politics isn't so much choosing a favorite/partisan team and pulling for them in November.

Okla-homey
7/4/2008, 07:00 AM
Homey...Homey...Homeboy

That is the biggest piece of cake in the history of having your cake and eating it too. Hope you gotta big fork!

I find it unsettling that you find the notion of loyal opposition somehow bizarre. Its the way it's supposed to work in a democracy. It was more common in the era when people respected the office of the president. People on both ends (far lefties who hate W and far righties who hated WJC) have done the country a great disservice by dismantling that notion in the minds of many.

Have you ever had to work for someone you didn't care for? IMHO, at that point, a person of character has precisely two choices. 1) do their best at their job or, 2) quit. It's destructive, divisive and dishonest to keep that gig while b1tching, moaning and belittling that boss.

I realize its not exactly the same thing when we're talking about a president and the people, but there was a time the above view was the norm. I think it was a better time. Its one thing to disagree with a presidential policy, its quite another to demonize its proponent. Far too much of that nowadays, and it doesn't make things any better. That's why, if BHO pulls it off, he'll have my support and respect. Like I said though, until that day, I'll fight him.

Okla-homey
7/4/2008, 07:03 AM
fixed. ;)

How was I to know it would become considered racist to be critical of BHO? At its essence, that's why HRC lost it.

AlbqSooner
7/4/2008, 08:01 AM
Sounds like some of BHO's advisers told him that if he becomes President he will be privvy to the National Security briefings. That has changed the minds of many who assume the office and learn what they are really dealing with.
Unfortunately the man reeks of political expedience. That, to me is bothersome. However, until someone who can show me a politician who does NOT reek of political expedience I suppose I will just keep the grains of salt at hand.

Okla-homey
7/4/2008, 08:18 AM
Sounds like some of BHO's advisers told him that if he becomes President he will be privvy to the National Security briefings. That has changed the minds of many who assume the office and learn what they are really dealing with.
Unfortunately the man reeks of political expedience. That, to me is bothersome. However, until someone who can show me a politician who does NOT reek of political expedience I suppose I will just keep the grains of salt at hand.

In all fairness, W hasn't seemed to sweat political expediency too much. He tried to fix Social Security, which remains that fabled "third rail" of politics, and this war in Iraq hasn't exactly been serenely accepted by some folks.;)

47straight
7/4/2008, 12:43 PM
I find it unsettling that you find the notion of loyal opposition somehow bizarre. Its the way it's supposed to work in a democracy.

Homey, don't you know you're supposed to threaten to move to Canada/UK if your guy doesn't win?

:rolleyes:

And I'm talking directly about you, ghost of Robert Altman. you chump.

StoopTroup
7/4/2008, 12:54 PM
plain old garden-variety saying whatever he needs to say to get elected?

That's exactly what it is...

I knew many of you would finally come around and begin to listen to the man and realize the libs don't run Barrack.

He's gonna make wise choices is my guess.

I think he's got many pressures to be a Great President for ALL people.

It's time IMHO.

I like the guy....he seems like someone you could talk to no matter who you are.

7/4/2008, 01:50 PM
That's exactly what it is...

I knew many of you would finally come around and begin to listen to the man and realize the libs don't run Barrack.

I think he's got many pressures to be a Great President for ALL people.

It's time IMHO.

I like the guy....he seems like someone you could talk to no matter who you are.:stunned:

Okla-homey
7/4/2008, 02:31 PM

Like personally choosing to become a "community organizer" and working for ACORN?

Since he graduated from law school, Obama's work with ACORN and the Midwest Academy has ranged from training and fundraising, to legal representation and promoting their work.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/opinion/columnists/datelinedc/s_488184.html

ACORN was investigated in 2006 for submitting false voter registrations in St. Louis, Missouri. 1,492 fraudulent voter registrations were identified, some from the dead and others for underage voters who were not aware they had been registered by ACORN.

ACORN was investigated in 2007 by King County, Washington for filing false registrations. An elections department employee called 400 phone numbers that were provided on the cards from a sample of those turned in by ACORN. Of the 400 phone numbers, only two were good, and both people denied filling out voter registration cards. The registrations were turned in after the deadline to register and the registrations were not processed for the 2006 election. On July 26, 2007, felony charges were filed against seven ACORN employees including supervisors for filing 1762 false registrations.

Big Rock Candy Mountain by any means necessary

7/4/2008, 02:40 PM
Sorry, StoopTroup, Obama is a disgrace to our country, and what it stands for.

def_lazer_fc
7/4/2008, 05:06 PM
and if RLiMC said it, it must be true.