Turd_Ferguson
7/2/2008, 08:35 PM
Claremore << OKC. Ate at the one in Claremore today. Was not impressed.:pop:

JohnnyMack
7/2/2008, 08:44 PM
A Tulsa original.

OU-HSV
7/2/2008, 09:14 PM
I've never been impressed w/Ron's hamburger's and chili.
In fact, I had this discussion w/some buddies recently...we're trying to figure out what's so "world famous" about their chili.
I mean seriously people, that chili is almost like busting open a can of wolf brand chili and slopping it on your burger. I just don't get what people like so much about it.

I understand it's a Tulsa tradition/original type restaurant, and I at least appreciate that aspect of it....but geeze..if I want canned chili, I go to the store. And I never want canned chili anyways, I make my own, and it's damn good.

Ron's=Not my thing.

Turd_Ferguson
7/2/2008, 09:30 PM
I'll give ya tree fitty for a bowl of your chili.:hot:

OU-HSV
7/2/2008, 09:32 PM
I'll give ya tree fitty for a bowl of your chili.:hot:

Hell, I'd let ya try it for free...and I wouldn't even call it "world famous" :D
Oh and you'd like it better than Ron's

JohnnyMack
7/2/2008, 09:41 PM
I've never been impressed w/Ron's hamburger's and chili.
In fact, I had this discussion w/some buddies recently...we're trying to figure out what's so "world famous" about their chili.
I mean seriously people, that chili is almost like busting open a can of wolf brand chili and slopping it on your burger. I just don't get what people like so much about it.

I understand it's a Tulsa tradition/original type restaurant, and I at least appreciate that aspect of it....but geeze..if I want canned chili, I go to the store. And I never want canned chili anyways, I make my own, and it's damn good.

Ron's=Not my thing.

If you've tried Ron's Jumbo Sausage Chili-Cheeseburger and don't like it, that's cool. If not, get your *** back to Ron's and get fat! :D

OU-HSV
7/2/2008, 09:49 PM
If you've tried Ron's Jumbo Sausage Chili-Cheeseburger and don't like it, that's cool. If not, get your *** back to Ron's and get fat! :D

Tried it...it's okay.
My main confusion w/Ron's is I don't get the fascination w/the chili. The burgers are okay, the fries are okay if you're in the mood for greasy fries, etc.

bluedogok
7/2/2008, 09:51 PM
I used to live in the neighborhood behind the Mayfair location, I tried it several times and just never did figure out what was so great about the place.

JohnnyMack
7/2/2008, 09:55 PM
Tried it...it's okay.
My main confusion w/Ron's is I don't get the fascination w/the chili. The burgers are okay, the fries are okay if you're in the mood for greasy fries, etc.

A Ron's JSCCB and some Spanish Fries are one of my favorite guilty pleasures.

47straight
7/2/2008, 10:42 PM

Dude,

A Ron's chili-cheeseburger is choice.
A Ron's sausage-cheeseburge is choice.

But together - that's like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters. Matter and anti-matter. All creation as you know it, destroyed.

Curly Bill
7/2/2008, 10:52 PM
If they feature this place on: Diners, Drive-ins and Dives then I'll know it's legit. ;)

yermom
7/2/2008, 10:56 PM
i didn't like the sausage burger, something in the texture wasn't right

chili cheeseburger is the shizz though

and Spanish fries ftw

we used to always to the one at The Farm, kind of a toss up between that at Burger Street when we'd hang out at The Game Shop

bri
7/3/2008, 09:16 AM
A Tulsa original.

Shhhh, they think it's theirs. That's what they do, y'know. They find stuff they like in other cities and then claim it for their own.

They're like the aggy of cities. :D

JohnnyMack
7/3/2008, 09:18 AM
when we'd hang out at The Game Shop

I'm so bummed that place is gone. It's like a flower shop or something depressing now.

r5TPsooner
7/3/2008, 09:23 AM
Dean's elk chili > Ron's chili.

yermom
7/3/2008, 09:25 AM
I'm so bummed that place is gone. It's like a flower shop or something depressing now.

The "Original" Game Shop at The Farm? no ****?

OU-HSV
7/3/2008, 09:39 AM
Dean's elk chili > Ron's chili.

I assume elk tastes about like deer, or am I wrong?

JohnnyMack
7/3/2008, 09:44 AM
The "Original" Game Shop at The Farm? no ****?

Yep. Gonzo.

And SB21 moved out south and is much smaller.

yermom
7/3/2008, 10:09 AM
i don't even know that place anymore :(

Tulsa << Yermom's Tulsa

JohnnyMack
7/3/2008, 10:15 AM
Wizard's Asylum is still pretty strong at 71st & Mingo and Top Deck Games at 31st & Sheridan is good too.

yermom
7/3/2008, 10:21 AM
Jimmy can bite my ***. Dan too.

ok, not really. Jimmy was always cool and i used to play with Dan at Wizard's...

47straight
7/3/2008, 10:49 AM
Original Ron's location, RIP >>> All other Ron's locations

soonerinabilene
7/3/2008, 11:19 AM
I noticed the last time i went up there they changed Red's in Skiatook to a Ron's. Heard it is not nearly as good now.

MrJimBeam
7/3/2008, 11:26 AM
The Ron's in Claremore has changed hands a couple of times in the few years. That might have something to do with it.

C&CDean
7/3/2008, 11:27 AM
I assume elk tastes about like deer, or am I wrong?

You are wrong.

Elk, like cattle, are grazers. Of grass. Therefore they taste quite a bit more like beef, but not quite exactly like it. Elk are called bulls, cows, calves - just like bovines as well. Bull elk have a very unique odor that you can smell when hunting, and also when cooking the meat. However, you normally can't taste the "elky" smell when you eat it. Kinda weird.

Deer, on the other hand, eat all kinds of ****. Nuts, bark, berries, leaves, etc. However, a properly killed, field dressed, butchered deer is fine eating. There's usually some venison in the chili we make for the tailgates too. I'm really not sure what all kinda dead animals momma throws in the big chili pot, alls I know is it's good, and it makes room in the freezer for more dead stuff.

47straight
7/3/2008, 11:45 AM
So what's tastier, elk or venison?

C&CDean
7/3/2008, 11:47 AM
So what's tastier, elk or venison?

Yes.

If I was stuck with one for the rest of my life I'd probably have to choose elk. A smoked elk roast, or one cooked traditionally with taters, carrots, onions, celery, etc. simply cannot be beat. A good elk tenderloin, properly seasoned and slapped on the grill and cooked rare/medium rare with some sauteed mushrooms and squash and asparagus cooked on the grill can't be beat either.

OU-HSV
7/3/2008, 12:08 PM
You are wrong.

Elk, like cattle, are grazers. Of grass. Therefore they taste quite a bit more like beef, but not quite exactly like it. Elk are called bulls, cows, calves - just like bovines as well. Bull elk have a very unique odor that you can smell when hunting, and also when cooking the meat. However, you normally can't taste the "elky" smell when you eat it. Kinda weird.

Deer, on the other hand, eat all kinds of ****. Nuts, bark, berries, leaves, etc. However, a properly killed, field dressed, butchered deer is fine eating. There's usually some venison in the chili we make for the tailgates too. I'm really not sure what all kinda dead animals momma throws in the big chili pot, alls I know is it's good, and it makes room in the freezer for more dead stuff.

Very interesting. Thanks.

I've had deer burgers, jerky, and summer sausage (with cheese and jalepeno's in it). All of those were okay...didn't care as much for the burgers they were pretty "gamey" tasting to me, but the summer sausage was awesome.

I'd like to try elk sometime, sounds like I'll have to get ahold of your elk chili at a tailgate. Sure that with a side of beer goes great.

OklahomaTuba
7/3/2008, 12:10 PM
What type of wine does Elk pair well with? Sounds like it wouldn't be bad with a basic Cab if smoked.

C&CDean
7/3/2008, 12:11 PM
Very interesting. Thanks.

I've had deer burgers, jerky, and summer sausage (with cheese and jalepeno's in it). All of those were okay...didn't care as much for the burgers they were pretty "gamey" tasting to me, but the summer sausage was awesome.

I'd like to try elk sometime, sounds like I'll have to get ahold of your elk chili at a tailgate. Sure that with a side of beer goes great.

I never make "burgers" out of game meat. It just ain't right. I use the hamburger in chili, spaghetti, sauces, etc. What's also good is buying the cheapest, fattiest pork sausage you can find and mixing it 50/50 with deer burger. Makes great breakfast sausages or sausage burgers.

And yes, you need a side of beer for the elk chili - and a fire extinguisher and a roll of Rolaids for the nuclear version. Good stuff - if I say so myself.

C&CDean
7/3/2008, 12:13 PM
What type of wine does Elk pair well with? Sounds like it wouldn't be bad with a basic Cab if smoked.

Same as beef. Cab, Merlot, Shiraz, Pinot Noir.

I usually do the Yellow Tail Merlot or Cab/Merlot mix when I eat elk steaks or roast.

OU-HSV
7/3/2008, 12:25 PM
I never make "burgers" out of game meat. It just ain't right. I use the hamburger in chili, spaghetti, sauces, etc. What's also good is buying the cheapest, fattiest pork sausage you can find and mixing it 50/50 with deer burger. Makes great breakfast sausages or sausage burgers.

And yes, you need a side of beer for the elk chili - and a fire extinguisher and a roll of Rolaids for the nuclear version. Good stuff - if I say so myself.

Ya the burger was pretty gross. Whoever processed it didn't do a terrific job cause there was still some hair in it. Kinda made me gag when I saw a few pieces of hair

JohnnyMack
7/3/2008, 12:47 PM
The Ron's in Claremore has changed hands a couple of times in the few years. That might have something to do with it.

From what I understand the original Ron is long since retired. Even before that however he wasn't a very hands-on guy in terms of his restaurant(s). He sold out licenses to people to operate as Ron's, but they weren't franchises in the sense that the menus shifted from one place to the next and there wasn't a ton of control in putting forth a "brand" that was 100% from one place to the next. That being said I think that the Ron's at 15th & Denver in Tulsa comes closest to the original.

bri
7/3/2008, 01:47 PM
I'm really not sure what all kinda dead animals momma throws in the big chili pot, alls I know is it's good, and it makes room in the freezer for more dead stuff.

Insert "dead hooker" joke here. :D