PDA

View Full Version : ***Official NHL Free Agency Thread***

GrapevineSooner
7/2/2008, 01:08 PM
Because we need one.

Anyway, the Red Wings solidified their title as the most envied franchise in the league by snagging Marian Hossa at $7.1...err 7.4 million, the Hawks overpaid for Brian Campbell, and Sharks fans still don't understand how free agency works.

Oh yeah, Sean Avery's now a Star thanks to his connection to Brett Hull.

JohnnyMack
7/2/2008, 01:33 PM
ScottD is happy.

At least he should be.

GrapevineSooner
7/2/2008, 02:06 PM
In light of all the long-term deals that free agents are signing for, it's obviously interesting that Hossa and his agent elected on a one-year deal.

Obviously, they're banking on the Cap going up, again, next season.

Not to mention, the Stars have a few expiring contracts next summer. And Hossa's junior hockey buddy plays here, too. ;)

Mixer!
7/2/2008, 05:50 PM
All I know is that the Blues will continue to suck, no matter what. :mad:

mfosterftw
7/2/2008, 06:15 PM
Tampa Bay Lightning sign Gordie Howe (http://enfarcer.livejournal.com/465597.html)...

Williesan
7/2/2008, 07:54 PM
In light of all the long-term deals that free agents are signing for, it's obviously interesting that Hossa and his agent elected on a one-year deal.

Obviously, they're banking on the Cap going up, again, next season.

Not to mention, the Stars have a few expiring contracts next summer. And Hossa's junior hockey buddy plays here, too. ;)

Hossa's deal is an "I want a Cup now." deal. They don't have to pay Hasek's salary this year, so they have a little more money to play with now.

Next year tho is a biggie for Detroit: the Wings will break the bank for Zetterberg (who will be a UFA) or they will lose him to a big money/market team (read LA, Anaheim or NYR.)

Dallas picking up Avery adds some toughnrss, and a little scoring punch, but there's some baggage due to his mouth and on-ice antics. Hopefully, he doesn't disappear down the stretch like Hagman (who is off to Toronto.)

Williesan

soonerboomer93
7/3/2008, 11:47 AM
****in Avs :mad:

JohnnyMack
7/3/2008, 03:09 PM
Pens do the smart thing and lock up their keeper for 7 years.

JohnnyMack
7/3/2008, 03:10 PM
Dallas picking up Avery adds some toughnrss, and a little scoring punch, but there's some baggage due to his mouth and on-ice antics.

Williesan

He's a piece of crap.

GrapevineSooner
7/3/2008, 03:31 PM
He's a piece of crap.

Yes, but he's our piece of crap now. :D

tulsaoilerfan
7/3/2008, 11:10 PM
With Avery and Ott, the Stars games should be much more interesting next year. :)

Scott D
7/4/2008, 11:59 AM
Actually, Hasek only made like 1.5 Mil last season, he like a lot of other players took less to remain in Detroit. To be honest, I'm more thrilled with re-signing Brad Stuart at $3.75 per for 4 years than the Hossa signing. Stuart would have gotten offers up to what the Rangers overpaid for Wade Redden. I'm hoping now that Lilja is traded by the start of the season.

With Avery going to Dallas and Tucker to Colorado, I expect blood on the ice in their games against each other with two of the most despicable players to play the game in the last 5 years on the ice.

I wouldn't be surprised if Zetterberg is signed to an extension by the all-star break, and he'll probably get something similar to Datsyuk's contract.

If the Blackhawks don't find a way to get rid of Khabibulin's contract they'll screw themselves. Blake won't be a good enough replacement for Campbell for the Sharks, which is why they let Carle go to Tampa for Boyle.

Vancouver is going to look like a joke if Sundin decides to go to Broadway (which sounds very likely if he doesn't retire), they've come up empty. Edmonton is making smart moves this year, and don't sleep on the moves that Phoenix has been making.

And I'm definitely not sold on Lou Lamorello playing old home week with his signings of Rolston (good move), and Holik (wtf move).

Scott D
7/4/2008, 12:04 PM
Oh, and moves I think teams lost out on.

Dallas not going a little harder after Markus Naslund. He'd have been perfect on the right side of either Richards or Modano. Avery is going to take bad penalties at bad times. However, apparently it sounds like the Stars will be playing @ MSG early in the season, so we'll see how long it takes Ranger fan to turn on Avery. :)

Colorado on well, everyone. Giguere is a terrible GM, and I expect he'll be unemployed by the end of the 08/09 season.

Toronto, well they're just in trouble from all the dumb moves made by John Ferguson Jr. Cliff Fletcher isn't going to save them, so they better hope they can get Burke from Anaheim next year.