PDA

View Full Version : If you were opening up a bar...

sooneron
7/2/2008, 08:57 AM
I mean a REAL bar, one with little pretension, solid selection, courteous, yet down and dirty staff. The kind where you go to hang out and DRINK. The kind with a couple of pool tables in the back...

What cds/records would you have in the juke?

OUDoc
7/2/2008, 08:58 AM
Where would this bar be located?

SoonerInKCMO
7/2/2008, 09:00 AM
Air Supply.

sooneron
7/2/2008, 09:02 AM
Where would this bar be located?

Anywhere'sville.

It's the kind of bar where locals hang and even out of towners stumble across it. Cue the Cheers theme...

but it is NOT Cheers like.

soonermix
7/2/2008, 09:03 AM
just be lazy and get one of those fancy jukeboxes where they can download songs and then play them

Lott's Bandana
7/2/2008, 09:04 AM
B 17

sooneron
7/2/2008, 09:04 AM
just be lazy and get one of those fancy jukeboxes where they can download songs and then play them

**** no!

note that i said cds/records.

frankensooner
7/2/2008, 09:10 AM
I can think of 4 must haves for any good time bar:

1) Hank Williams - Tear in my Beer

2) Tom T. Hall - I like Beer

3) Jimmy Buffett - Get Drunk and Screw

4) girth brooks - friends in low places.

Honorable Mentions: Drinking my Baby Goodbye, CD band; Redneck Mother jj walker You don't even call me by my name da coe

tommieharris91
7/2/2008, 09:13 AM
Light, bluesy Jimi Hendrix. Like C# Blues, Once I Had A Woman, and The Wind Cries Mary.

OUDoc
7/2/2008, 09:20 AM
If you want to be lazy, mostly late '60's through late '70's rock. Some country and a handful of newer CD's. That covers most bars I've been to.
Or kill the juke box and have flat screens out the ***.

King Crimson
7/2/2008, 09:31 AM
you need some Johnny Cash. James Brown compilation, maybe. Elton John Greatest.

AC/DC: Back in Black
LZ: pick a couple, I, II & Houses of the Holy, IV.
SRV: Texas Flood, maybe.
Henrix, Axis or Smash Hits
Pixies, maybe Doolittle since it's got wider appeal than Surfer or Pilgrim

i'd need to know more, to get more specific. like, is it a White Strips kinda place or the best of the Doobies? or both?

royalfan5
7/2/2008, 09:46 AM
Every song from Waylon, Willie, Johnny Cash, and Hank Jr.
Every AC/DC album, and every Van Halen album through 1990.
Some Thin Lizzy. Some Primus. C.W. McCall's Greatest Hits.

BillyBall
7/2/2008, 09:59 AM
A ton of music of all varieties and just let the bartender decide based on the mood. Forcing music on people at a place like a bar is irritating.

Taxman71
7/2/2008, 10:44 AM
For the most part, nearly every record should be recognizable to most every patron. A bar/restaurante, etc. trying to show off their knowledge of indie/underground/local music when everyone is trying to have a good time is just annoying. There is a place for it, but not where you want people to hang out for a long time spending money.

And every jukebox should have Stranglehold.

Lott's Bandana
7/2/2008, 10:50 AM
For the most part, nearly every record should be recognizable to most every patron. A bar/restaurante, etc. trying to show off their knowledge of indie/underground/local/niche music when everyone is trying to have a good time is just annoying. There is a place for it, but not where you want people to hang out for a long time spending money.

Reminds me of a scene in "The Interpreter" where Sean Penn is in a neighborhood bar, walks over and unplugs the juke - stopping the current disc, plugs it back in and plays Lyle Lovett's "If I Had a Boat".

Doubtful many of the drinkers could sing along with that one...

SoonerStormchaser
7/2/2008, 10:53 AM
This question needs to be posed to SicEm, as he is known to frequent a bar or two in Waco with his world famous Zima/stogie combination that has unparalleled success in picken up the wimmenz.

SoonerInKCMO
7/2/2008, 11:04 AM
I can think of 4 must haves for any good time bar:

1) Hank Williams - Tear in my Beer

2) Tom T. Hall - I like Beer

3) Jimmy Buffett - Get Drunk and Screw

4) girth brooks - friends in low places.

Honorable Mentions: Drinking my Baby Goodbye, CD band; Redneck Mother jj walker You don't even call me by my name da coe

Light, bluesy Jimi Hendrix. Like C# Blues, Once I Had A Woman, and The Wind Cries Mary.

If you want to be lazy, mostly late '60's through late '70's rock. Some country and a handful of newer CD's. That covers maost bars I've been to.
Or kill the juke box and have flat screens out the ***.

you need some Johnny Cash. James Brown compilation, maybe. Elton John Greatest.

AC/DC: Back in Black
LZ: pick a couple, I, II & Houses of the Holy, IV.
SRV: Texas Flood, maybe.
Henrix, Axis or Smash Hits
Pixies, maybe Doolittle since it's got wider appeal than Surfer or Pilgrim

i'd need to know more, to get more specific. like, is it a White Strips kinda place or the best of the Doobies? or both?

Every song from Waylon, Willie, Johnny Cash, and Hank Jr.
Every AC/DC album, and every Van Halen album through 1990.
Some Thin Lizzy. Some Primus. C.W. McCall's Greatest Hits.

Why don't y'all want anyone under 40 going to Ron's bar? :confused:

royalfan5
7/2/2008, 11:07 AM
Me and all my under 40 friends, rarely listen to new music when pumping money into the jukebox. Old music sounds better when drinking.

C&CDean
7/2/2008, 11:07 AM

In my bar I'd have a bunch of Indy crap and rap. Only thing is when you push it to play, all that comes outta the speakers is "look everybody, there's a ****ing loser trying to play ****ing loser music" - and then some rockin' blues would kick in.

There hasn't been anything made in the past 10 years worth drinking to.

The
7/2/2008, 11:18 AM
Nothing but Slayer.

King Crimson
7/2/2008, 11:48 AM

i tried to open that door, to a degree, with the White Stripes. i'll also add that when i went to see the Pixies in 04 or whenever i'd guess 90% of the people there were less than 25.

also, a simple math/demographics matter to consider indirectly from a food/bar service perspective. over half the people under 40 can't drink. a lot more college age students listen to classic rock in addition to their other musical preferences than 40 year olds listen to Jay Z.

some kind of Stax/Volt or Motown compilation (including Jr. Walker and the All Stars "Shotgun") should be there.

Bone
7/2/2008, 12:54 PM

My sentiments exactly.

frankensooner
7/2/2008, 12:57 PM
You whippersnappers are idjits.

Bone
7/2/2008, 01:00 PM
idgits have money too.

frankensooner
7/2/2008, 01:00 PM
tru, but if I hear any song with the term "shawty" in it, I am taking my old man money and leaving.

SouthFortySooner
7/2/2008, 01:02 PM
don't know no songs but the name of it would be, "THE STINKY BEAVER". :D

Bone
7/2/2008, 01:04 PM
frankensooner, i can't stand new rap. It is terrible. I don't like most new music to be honest.

tommieharris91
7/2/2008, 01:09 PM
OK, talk to my friends who are starting med school. They listen to the new crap like Dashboard Confessional, Coldplay, Ne-Yo, and Lil Wayne.

SoonerJack
7/2/2008, 01:32 PM
What kinda music do you play here?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/jwiley/songlarge016.jpg

We have both kinds. Country and Western!

Jimminy Crimson
7/2/2008, 03:43 PM
As long as Kid Rock and the Beastie Boys aren't included, it's all good.

OUDoc
7/2/2008, 03:56 PM

Because I'm allergic to over-sized flat-billed baseball caps and Axe body spray.

okieslp
7/2/2008, 03:58 PM
I think that Classic Rock has the widest appeal. I would go with the Stones, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Stevie Ray, Lynyrd Skynard, Doobies, Allman Bros. I think that a bluesy rock atmosphere is the best in a bar where you can hang and get your drink on!

OULenexaman
7/2/2008, 04:05 PM
obscure stuff....Wishbone Ash....Trapeze....really old Jeff Beck...

C&CDean
7/2/2008, 04:06 PM
obscure stuff....Wishbone Ash....Trapeze....really old Jeff Beck...

Oh **** yeah! Where's this bar at?

OULenexaman
7/2/2008, 04:16 PM
my basement...

SicEmBaylor
7/2/2008, 04:25 PM
This question needs to be posed to SicEm, as he is known to frequent a bar or two in Waco with his world famous Zima/stogie combination that has unparalleled success in picken up the wimmenz.

It does work!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/SicEmBaylor/Windows-1252BSU1HMDAwMjEuanBn.jpg

TheUnnamedSooner
7/2/2008, 04:39 PM
Depends, would there be poles in this bar? And I don't mean the ones you vote on. Ones that perchance women might dance with/on?

Sooner04
7/2/2008, 04:45 PM
It does work!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/SicEmBaylor/Windows-1252BSU1HMDAwMjEuanBn.jpg
If this post were any gayer it would be taking it in the *** from Liberace.

Christ. What the hell has happened to this place?

sooneron
7/2/2008, 08:15 PM
That pic seriously fagged up my thread.

I'm not opening a bar. I've just always thought about doing it and what was in the juke was one thing that I pondered.

I think the place should rock, but have a bluesy occasional jazz vibe- like some Bitches Brew along side some Muddy Waters. Add some Cult, Hendrix, White Stripes, Black Keys, a little Zepp, quite a bit of Stones and there you have it. Jeff beck would be a nice touch with some old Fleetwood Eagles too.

sooneron
7/2/2008, 08:17 PM
Tom Waits would definitely be alongside some Johnny Cash.

def_lazer_fc
7/2/2008, 08:21 PM
any songs that fat drunk chicks tend to play and sing along to are a definite NO!

whatever that redneck woman song is has got to go.

sooneron
7/2/2008, 08:29 PM
NO electric slide or Strokin' !!!

def_lazer_fc
7/2/2008, 08:32 PM

or the cha cha song. that song causes a stampede of plump wimmens rushing for the dance floor like it was $5 steak day at golden corral.

Turd_Ferguson
7/2/2008, 08:36 PM
Almost Paradise on a continuous loop.

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/2/2008, 08:43 PM
any songs that fat drunk chicks tend to play and sing along to are a definite NO!

or the cha cha song. that song causes a stampede of plump wimmens rushing for the dance floor like it was $5 steak day at golden corral.

You get beat up by a big girl or something? She give you a wedgie in front of your friends? Noogies, maybe?

:kelvin:

tommieharris91
7/2/2008, 08:48 PM
:les:NO FAT CHICKS!!!!

def_lazer_fc
7/2/2008, 08:50 PM
You get beat up by a big girl or something? She give you a wedgie in front of your friends? Noogies, maybe?

:kelvin:
stole my twinky :( :mad:

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/2/2008, 08:51 PM
Heh.

Blue
7/2/2008, 09:03 PM
GnR- Appetite
Nirvana- Nirvana
Bob Marley-Legend
Sublime-40 oz to Freedom
Janes Addiction-Kettle Whistle

Soonerchaz
7/3/2008, 09:27 AM
I think the place should rock, but have a bluesy occasional jazz vibe- like some Bitches Brew along side some Muddy Waters. Add some Cult, Hendrix, White Stripes, Black Keys, a little Zepp, quite a bit of Stones and there you have it. Jeff beck would be a nice touch with some old Fleetwood Eagles too.

Tom Waits would definitely be alongside some Johnny Cash.

Sounds like you already have a solid idea on the music.

If the above was available...I'd happily drink and plug the jukebox at that bar.

Oh and add a little Slobberbone/The Drams. Great drinking music...some of which has been made (gasp!) in the last 10 years.

OU-HSV
7/3/2008, 09:47 AM

NOT AT ALL

I agree w/ the many other people. Led Zep, Eagles, etc.
Throw in a couple of country cds...but not annoying crap like Billy Ray Cyrus or anything like that.
I'd stay away from Rap and Vanilla Ice, etc.

Now...where and when is this place opening...and can I reserve a table yet? ;)

SoonerInKCMO
7/3/2008, 09:52 AM
Find yourself a pron soundtrack. Can't go wrong with good secksin' music.

frankensooner
7/3/2008, 09:57 AM
You aren't even opening a bar and are wasting our time with this? geez. ;)

Pricetag
7/3/2008, 09:59 AM
As long as Kid Rock and the Beastie Boys aren't included, it's all good.
Please tell me you aren't comparing these two groups.

Lott's Bandana
7/3/2008, 10:00 AM
It does work!

SicEm,

We all member the story. The only thing that got happy-face that night the pic was taken was that stogie! (the one on the right)

:P

soonermix
7/3/2008, 10:31 AM
**** no!

note that i said cds/records.

well i would start out by having some metallica, ac/dc, tool, hank jr, george strait, gary stewart, dr. dre, nwa, eminem.

then i would play a game with the jukebox and have a celine dion cd in there and if anybody actually plays it everybody in the bar gets to line up and punch that person in the face or a free drink from that person either one

sooneron
7/3/2008, 04:43 PM
then i would play a game with the jukebox and have a celine dion cd in there and if anybody actually plays it everybody in the bar gets to line up and punch that person in the face or a free drink from that person either one

Nicely done