PDA

View Full Version : Here is a great example of subtle media bias for you folks.

sooner n houston
7/2/2008, 06:51 AM
The Associated Press brings us some good news from Baghdad:

Militants killed fewer U.S. and NATO troops in Iraq in June than in Afghanistan for the second straight month, an encouraging milestone capping a run of headline-grabbing coalition victories that analysts say underscore the Iraqi insurgency's diminishing strength.
Whoops, sorry! That's not how the AP wrote it. It's actually a dispatch from Kabul, and it is bad news:

Militants killed more U.S. and NATO troops in Afghanistan in June than in Iraq for the second straight month, a grim milestone capping a run of headline-grabbing insurgent attacks that analysts say underscore the Taliban's growing strength.

We're not saying our spin is better than the AP's, but why not just report the facts. Is it really necessary to "spin" at all?

From the best of the web today from the Wallstreet Journal newsletter.

Okla-homey
7/2/2008, 07:16 AM
Good point.

Some Taliban jackholes blew up a mud prison near Kandahar and a bunch of their homies got loose. The coalition had to hunt them down and kill them. Some coalition troops got hurt in the process, more in fact than were hurt in Iraq last month where the new US approach is proving to be effective and decisive. That is hardly a resurgent Taliban if you ask me, but, hey, I'm not a highly trained and objective journalist.

Lott's Bandana
7/2/2008, 07:39 AM
Good point.

Some Taliban jackholes blew up a mud prison near Kandahar and a bunch of their homies got loose. The coalition had to hunt them down and kill them. Some coalition troops got hurt in the process, more in fact than were hurt in Iraq last month where the new US approach is proving to be effective and decisive. That is hardly a resurgent Taliban if you ask me, but, hey, I'm not a highly trained and objective journalist.

Oxy-moronic

:rolleyes:

soonermix
7/2/2008, 09:13 AM
they spin it so they can fill the page. you get 3 sentences out of their spin other wise you only get 1 sentence which is pretty depressing.... x number of people were killed in iraq, x number of people were killed in afghanistan

JohnnyMack
7/2/2008, 09:41 AM
The Associated Press brings us some good news from Baghdad:

Militants killed fewer U.S. and NATO troops in Iraq in June than in Afghanistan for the second straight month, an encouraging milestone capping a run of headline-grabbing coalition victories that analysts say underscore the Iraqi insurgency's diminishing strength.
Whoops, sorry! That's not how the AP wrote it. It's actually a dispatch from Kabul, and it is bad news:

Militants killed more U.S. and NATO troops in Afghanistan in June than in Iraq for the second straight month, a grim milestone capping a run of headline-grabbing insurgent attacks that analysts say underscore the Taliban's growing strength.

We're not saying our spin is better than the AP's, but why not just report the facts. Is it really necessary to "spin" at all?

From the best of the web today from the Wallstreet Journal newsletter.

What is erroneous about what they wrote?

sooner n houston
7/2/2008, 10:57 AM
What is erroneous about what they wrote?

I didn't see any one saying there was anything erroneous about what they wrote.

Maybe you need to look up the definentions for bias and error. Compare and contrast! :D

JohnnyMack
7/2/2008, 10:59 AM
You don't like it so they must be biased. Typical.

r5TPsooner
7/2/2008, 10:59 AM
Reading comprehension is a lost art.

C&CDean
7/2/2008, 11:22 AM
Give JM a break. Afterall, he's dumb enough to support Brack. He knows not what he does most of the time.

LesNessman
7/2/2008, 11:29 AM
More liberal media bias? (albeit on a different subject and not so subtle)

Obama Got Discount on Home Loan

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/01/AR2008070103008.html?nav=hcmodule

Surprised WaPo even reported it, but of course it's a day late (American Thinker had it yesterday).

And it's on pg. 3.

Conservatives with this in their lap? Guaranteed front and center treatment.

JohnnyMack
7/2/2008, 11:34 AM
More liberal media bias? (albeit on a different subject and not so subtle)

Obama Got Discount on Home Loan

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/01/AR2008070103008.html?nav=hcmodule

Surprised WaPo even reported it, but of course it's a day late (American Thinker had it yesterday).

And it's on pg. 3.

WTF does that have to do with anything? A bank gave him a rate that was lower than someone elses? ZOMG!!!! You've apparently never bought a house.

Ike
7/2/2008, 11:37 AM
Given only the info noted in the first post...that "More US and NATO troops were killed in Afghanistan than Iraq for the second straight month", nobody can really say whether this is an encouraging milestone or a grim milestone. You need more information. Which numbers are trending up and which are trending down. Just the relation between the two tells you nothing.

Bone
7/2/2008, 12:28 PM
All news outlets suck. They all spin. You have to look past it.

Sooner98
7/2/2008, 12:37 PM
Given only the info noted in the first post...that "More US and NATO troops were killed in Afghanistan than Iraq for the second straight month", nobody can really say whether this is an encouraging milestone or a grim milestone. You need more information. Which numbers are trending up and which are trending down. Just the relation between the two tells you nothing.

True, but unless one has been living in a cave, they would know that the # of deaths in Iraq has been trending down. Way down.

Ike
7/2/2008, 01:53 PM
True, but unless one has been living in a cave, they would know that the # of deaths in Iraq has been trending down. Way down.

Yeah, but hardly anybody knows off the top of their heads what the # of deaths in Afghanistan has been doing. Has it been going up sharply recently? Up just a little? Staying the same? When talking about how to interpret these numbers, thats important too.

LesNessman
7/2/2008, 04:15 PM
WTF does that have to do with anything? A bank gave him a rate that was lower than someone elses? ZOMG!!!! You've apparently never bought a house.

It has everything to do with liberal media bias, which the original poster was pointing out. I was just pointing out that it wasn't as subtle as the original post.

Not only did the Obamas get a very good deal, they were assisted by now convicted felon Tony Rezko, who was under grand jury indictment at the time. And that makes p.3 news a day after the story breaks? Isn't that a major story deserving immediate front page attention?

If it were a conservative politician who received that loan, assisted by a shady developer, I guarand@%#ty you he or she would be plastered all over the front pages of the liberal media, for weeks.

FYI...I have purchased a house before, and getting a loan that big, at that interest rate with no points just doesn't happen without some preferrential treatment.

Heck, just think of the "thrill" Chris Matthews would've got up his leg on that kind of deal.

soonerscuba
7/2/2008, 04:33 PM
It has everything to do with liberal media bias, which the original poster was pointing out. I was just pointing out that it wasn't as subtle as the original post.

Not only did the Obamas get a very good deal, they were assisted by now convicted felon Tony Rezko, who was under grand jury indictment at the time. And that makes p.3 news a day after the story breaks? Isn't that a major story deserving immediate front page attention?

If it were a conservative politician who received that loan, assisted by a shady developer, I guarand@%#ty you he or she would be plastered all over the front pages of the liberal media, for weeks.

FYI...I have purchased a house before, and getting a loan that big, at that interest rate with no points just doesn't happen without some preferrential treatment.

Heck, just think of the "thrill" Chris Matthews would've got up his leg on that kind of deal.
You do realize that this rings kinda hallow when the McCain't haven't paid taxes on a house in years and it receives roughly the same coverage. The reason is that people don't care anymore. We have been through the ringer as far as this stuff is concerned: Whitewater, Haliburton, Ken Lay, Keating 5... people are simply tired of manufactured intrigue about alleged financial deals. What we need to concentrate on is Obama's schooling when he was 7 and how it made him a terrorist.

What was Tony Rezko's position at Northern Trust?

PhilTLL
7/2/2008, 04:49 PM

Front and center...like Cindy McCain's years of stealing pills from her own charity? Addiction is a disease, and one which I won't mock, but pilfering medicine meant for third world countries takes some real ****headedness. If Michelle Obama had such a history, the networks and papers would burst into flames.

GrapevineSooner
7/2/2008, 04:51 PM
Well, John McCain got a 0% credit card with a limit of $100,000 on it.

So you'll excuse me if I don't get too terribly worked up over this. In fact, most of these scandals aren't worth getting worked up over.

JohnnyMack
7/2/2008, 05:04 PM

The Obama/Rezko land deal isn't a big story, because it isn't a big story. Obama bought a new house and Rezko bought the adjoining lot. They bought it from a college Professor who was moving out of town. The lot was to be developed by....shocker....a real estate developer named Rezko into townhomes. Obama later bought a 1/6th strip of the land from Rezko at Rezko's cost to provide his house with a buffer from what was to be developed. Nothing Obama did was illegal although in hindsight he should have bought the strip of land right away instead of waiting until Rezko was being investigated by the Grand Jury.

Harry Beanbag
7/2/2008, 06:46 PM
You do realize that this rings kinda hallow when the McCain't haven't paid taxes on a house in years and it receives roughly the same coverage. The reason is that people don't care anymore. We have been through the ringer as far as this stuff is concerned: Whitewater, Haliburton, Ken Lay, Keating 5... people are simply tired of manufactured intrigue about alleged financial deals. What we need to concentrate on is Obama's schooling when he was 7 and how it made him a terrorist.

What was Tony Rezko's position at Northern Trust?

Oh people are tired of it alright, but not because it's "manufactured". People are tired of it because all politicians are filthy, rotten, lying, thieving whores and we can't do anything about it.

Blue
7/2/2008, 09:10 PM
People ought to forget about this election crap and focus more on a declining dollar. There is the media spin. "It'll be ok!" or no coverage at all.

I guess they have to do that for Consumer confidence, but in my line of work this economy and oil prices are killing me and if it gets worse...nevermind.

Scott D
7/2/2008, 10:44 PM
People ought to forget about this election crap and focus more on a declining dollar. There is the media spin. "It'll be ok!" or no coverage at all.

I guess they have to do that for Consumer confidence, but in my line of work this economy and oil prices are killing me and if it gets worse...nevermind.

*shrug* can't be much more of a declining dollar seeing as how for the first time in awhile, we've pulled back even with the Canadian dollar (after falling behind it for the first time in decades)

Blue
7/2/2008, 10:48 PM
Hope you're right.

Sooner24
7/2/2008, 11:04 PM
The Obama/Rezko land deal isn't a big story, because it isn't a big story. Obama bought a new house and Rezko bought the adjoining lot. They bought it from a college Professor who was moving out of town. The lot was to be developed by....shocker....a real estate developer named Rezko into townhomes. Obama later bought a 1/6th strip of the land from Rezko at Rezko's cost to provide his house with a buffer from what was to be developed. Nothing Obama did was illegal although in hindsight he should have bought the strip of land right away instead of waiting until Rezko was being investigated by the Grand Jury.

Did they invest in cattle futures by any chance?

LesNessman
7/3/2008, 12:23 PM
Did they invest in cattle futures by any chance?

No, but they did invest in a real estate deal with help from a sleazy developer (now convicted felon) where they got a sweet loan with no points, paid $300,000 less than the value of the property, plus got a deal on the adjoining lot owned by the wife of the felon.

BHO himself called it a "boneheaded deal". Why would he say that if there wasn't anything wrong about it?

It's a non-story because the liberal media are too busy throwing their panties at Obama to seriously report anything negative about him.

Curly Bill
7/3/2008, 06:03 PM
No, but they did invest in a real estate deal with help from a sleazy developer (now convicted felon) where they got a sweet loan with no points, paid $300,000 less than the value of the property, plus got a deal on the adjoining lot owned by the wife of the felon.

BHO himself called it a "boneheaded deal". Why would he say that if there wasn't anything wrong about it?

It's a non-story because the liberal media are too busy throwing their panties at Obama to seriously report anything negative about him.

Keep up the good work. :D