PDA

View Full Version : It is my sad duty to announce...

Okla-homey
7/1/2008, 05:23 PM
There won't be any RufNek shotguns sponsored by us (or anyone else) this season. The Athletic Department, which now administers the RufNeks, has officially informed us it has decided to discontinue the practice.

Sorry.

yermom
7/1/2008, 05:25 PM
killjoys

next they will replace the shotguns with plushy replicas

trey
7/1/2008, 05:28 PM
when will they discontinue the rufneks?

StoopTroup
7/1/2008, 05:33 PM
I'm getting more and more tired of the Athletic Department taking the fun out of being a SoonerFan.

It seems like every year they try and control more and more stuff that have been traditions that Fans have cherished for years.

Everytime someone might make some cash off something they are right there to crap on it.

BigRedJed
7/1/2008, 05:36 PM
Primitive screwheads.

Viking Kitten
7/1/2008, 05:42 PM
Man. That sucks. Thank God we won one while we could! It looks supercool on our wall!

*awaits neggin' by Hairy*

shaun4411
7/1/2008, 05:42 PM
call me crazy. this really doesnt bother me.

tommieharris91
7/1/2008, 05:43 PM
We can't look like we're cheatin... :confused:

SoonerInKCMO
Primitive screwheads.

The athletic department or the RufNeks? :confused:

King Crimson
that sucks.

yermom
this is dumb. people want to give the athetic department money and they don't want to take it

BigRedJed
7/1/2008, 05:44 PM
The good news is, those of you who got one can now eBay it for a ****load.

StoopTroup
7/1/2008, 05:45 PM
Seems someone is making all sorts of new friends again.

Jerk
7/1/2008, 06:09 PM
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand??

SoonerStormchaser
7/1/2008, 06:29 PM
call me crazy. this really doesnt bother me.

None of us are surprised by your revelation...so go away!

StoopTroup
7/1/2008, 07:05 PM
Here's another bunch of folks who forgot we come to watch Football and have fun.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Fans-are-asked-to-treat-Chiefs-games-like-bowlin?urn=nfl,91291 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Fans-are-asked-to-treat-Chiefs-games-like-bowlin?urn=nfl,91291)

I hear they're even taking the extra step and including bed pans with every seat, so no one has to get up to use the bathroom.

Okla-homey
7/1/2008, 07:57 PM
college football is big business. A lot of people stand to lose a lot of money if somebody screws something up. Thus, like any good management team, I suspect they are just trying to eliminate risks wherever possible by reining-in the R/N's.

Paperclip
7/1/2008, 08:28 PM
There won't be any RufNek shotguns sponsored by us (or anyone else) this season. The Athletic Department, which now administers the RufNeks, has officially informed us it has decided to discontinue the practice.

Sorry.

Are they discontinuing the shotguns or the sponsoring thereof?

Soonerus
7/1/2008, 08:30 PM
So I won one of the last one's last year...yo....

Lott's Bandana
7/1/2008, 11:12 PM
So when I'm walking down Brooks after leaving the stadium with about a min left and the victory no longer even close to being in doubt, I no longer get to hear the boomboomboom telling me it is all over? No more wry, knowing smiles after hearing it, like I have experienced hundreds of times.

Pity.

Frozen Sooner
7/1/2008, 11:14 PM
Are they discontinuing the shotguns or the sponsoring thereof?

That's my question as well.

From the initial post, it looks like they're just doing away with sponsorship. The Neks can still fire off popguns at potential assailants.

Homey? We're getting this all secondhand from you-what's the word?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/1/2008, 11:15 PM
So when I'm walking down Brooks after leaving the stadium with about a min left and the victory no longer even close to being in doubt, I no longer get to hear the boomboomboom telling me it is all over? No more wry, knowing smiles after hearing it, like I have experienced hundreds of times.

Pity.You're one of those people. Trying to beat the traffic?

jdsooner
7/1/2008, 11:15 PM
Makes me sad.

Lott's Bandana
7/1/2008, 11:20 PM
You're one of those people. Trying to beat the traffic?

Naah, usually I stay till the LDS starts to clean the stadium. Sorry, old school crack there...

Occasionally, like the Colorado game two years ago, my plums are so cold they are residing where my tonsils used to be...so if the opposing coach is calling times-out with the game already lost, I'm nodding and walking.

Now my Dad? Hasn't seen a game end since 1966...he should only pay 2/3rds of his donor buckos.

OU4LIFE
7/2/2008, 05:33 AM
Man. That sucks. Thank God we won one while we could! It looks supercool on our wall!

*awaits neggin' by Hairy*

*pimpslap*

OU4LIFE
7/2/2008, 05:40 AM
Makes me sad.

You want sad? Sad is the skyrocketing price of being a donor. My grandfather was a season ticket holder since 1952. He sat through the debacle that was the Blake years and he of whom we do not speak, and the thanks for more than 60 years of commitment? A near double increase in donorship just to keep the seats he's had since the early 50's.

I love my football team, but University, you **** me off.

Okla-homey
7/2/2008, 06:11 AM
Sorry for any confusion. They're keeping the shotgun tradition as far as we know. They will not however, allow groups of fans (like us) to donate money in exchange for naming rights on a particular gun, and presentation of that gun at the end of the season.

As most here know, we did that for two seasons, and had a drawing of those who contributed at the last home game to see who got to keep the gun.

Okla-homey
7/2/2008, 06:16 AM
Homey? We're getting this all secondhand from you-what's the word?

<sheesh> okay, since I'm clearly untrustworthy, let me paste in the e-mail that was forwarded to me.:O

It is not our plan to sponsor shotguns at this time. I will maintain your contact information in the event that we do so in the future. Thanks.

Lori M. Kemmet
Spirit Coordinator
McClendon Center for Intercollegiate Athletics

Lott's Bandana
7/2/2008, 07:43 AM
Lori M. Kemmet
Spirit Coordinator

You had a bartender write you about this?

Collier11
7/2/2008, 08:25 AM
maybe if the RufNeks stopped acting like idiots on a daily basis this stuff wouldnt happen. I think it is rediculous but their on-field and off-field actions lately have been pretty embarrassing as well

bri
7/2/2008, 08:42 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2097/2631216414_856778e842_o.jpg

Taxman71
7/2/2008, 08:52 AM
You want sad? Sad is the skyrocketing price of being a donor. My grandfather was a season ticket holder since 1952. He sat through the debacle that was the Blake years and he of whom we do not speak, and the thanks for more than 60 years of commitment? A near double increase in donorship just to keep the seats he's had since the early 50's.

I love my football team, but University, you **** me off.

Someone has to pay Joe C's $700k/year salary.....you think it will be soccer fans?

SoonerInKCMO
7/2/2008, 08:55 AM
Someone has to pay Bob S's $Eleventy bajillion/year salary.....you think it will be soccer fans?

Fixed.

If someone doesn't want to pay out the nose to see their team, they're going to have to root for a team that sucks.

tommieharris91
7/2/2008, 09:19 AM
If someone doesn't want to pay out the nose to see their team, they're going to have to root for a team that sucks.

aggy's tickets are more expensive than ours.

OU4LIFE
7/2/2008, 09:50 AM
Fixed.

really Clark?

So you're telling me that if I don't want to pay through the nose to see a team, I have to now disavow my fandom and switch to a team that sucks.

that thar sure is some purty logik.

OUstud
7/2/2008, 09:59 AM
Sorry for any confusion. They're keeping the shotgun tradition as far as we know. They will not however, allow groups of fans (like us) to donate money in exchange for naming rights on a particular gun, and presentation of that gun at the end of the season.

As most here know, we did that for two seasons, and had a drawing of those who contributed at the last home game to see who got to keep the gun.

that doesn't seem so bad. usually people complain there's too much sponsorship at OU events... :gary:

SoonerInKCMO
7/2/2008, 11:07 AM
really Clark?

So you're telling me that if I don't want to pay through the nose to see a team, I have to now disavow my fandom and switch to a team that sucks.

that thar sure is some purty logik.

Sports are a business. This business exists in a capitalist environment. They have a limited supply. They charge what they can.

C&CDean
7/2/2008, 11:09 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2097/2631216414_856778e842_o.jpg

MEH. Losing to Tulsa, TCU, Colorado, KSU, Kansas, OSU, and by a brazillion to nothing to Nebraska - all at home - ain't my idea of fun.

Joe C. is the man. His only true **** up is the horse pigs.

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/2/2008, 11:12 AM
Maybe the AD isn't really a necessary entity in this whole game 'o fun. Maybe we can simply relieve them of any responsibility and knowingness of these happenings. I mean, seems they got enough to worry about nowadays.

Surely, we can call the Neks and...work something out.

:norm:

BigRedJed
7/2/2008, 11:15 AM

Pity.
Don't leave early and you won't have that problem.

Frozen Sooner
7/2/2008, 11:24 AM
<sheesh> okay, since I'm clearly untrustworthy, let me paste in the e-mail that was forwarded to me.:O

Totally wasn't my intention to claim you were untrustworthy, simply that you were the person relaying the info from another source to us. Thus, you'd be the person we'd need to clear up confusion.

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/2/2008, 11:25 AM
Now that I think about it, we don't need the AD to deal with teh horsepigs, either.

:mack:

mxATVracer10
7/2/2008, 11:28 AM
I still havent received the one I sponsored last year. I was planning on having them use it again this year since hopes are high for a MNC run, but I guess I'll take it now before they try to change its name....

(thanks SO and callahan for the idea):texan:

BigRedJed
7/2/2008, 11:31 AM
...Hasn't seen a game end since 1966...he should only pay 2/3rds of his donor buckos.
Actually, people who leave after the third quarter and such should have to pay double. That would fix that.

OU4LIFE
7/2/2008, 11:35 AM
Sports are a business. This business exists in a capitalist environment. They have a limited supply. They charge what they can.

and exactly how does any of that support your statement that if you don't pay, you have to champion a loser team?

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/2/2008, 11:37 AM
'Cause you know, we could just burn them with hate fire.

Hot, burny, plastic-smelling hate fire.

Paperclip
7/2/2008, 11:44 AM
and exactly how does any of that support your statement that if you don't pay, you have to champion a loser team?

I believe his point is you get what you pay for.

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/2/2008, 11:48 AM
In that case, I'll pay for the fire.

OU4LIFE
7/2/2008, 12:08 PM
I believe his point is you get what you pay for.

I get that. But regardless of what it costs, OU will have, and has historically always had, a winning FB program.

So, that means if you don't feel like paying for a ticket, you are allowed to be a fan, and must move on to a team that loses.

Taxman71
7/2/2008, 12:20 PM
I get that. But regardless of what it costs, OU will have, and has historically always had, a winning FB program.

So, that means if you don't feel like paying for a ticket, you are allowed to be a fan, and must move on to a team that loses.

I think osu has already gobbled up the "poor but proud" fanbase. Poor Sooner fans can just wear tons of OU flair and steamroll kids on media day.

SoonerInKCMO
7/2/2008, 01:13 PM

What I meant was that if you want to support a team, by going to their games (as you were talking about doing), you have to pay big bucks to support a big time program.

bri
7/2/2008, 01:27 PM
MEH. Losing to Tulsa, TCU, Colorado, KSU, Kansas, OSU, and by a brazillion to nothing to Nebraska - all at home - ain't my idea of fun.

I didn't really mind that Tulsa loss that much, to be honest. ;)

Okla-homey
7/2/2008, 01:38 PM
I have absolutely no insight into why the Department chose to eschew gun sponsorships with post-season presentations of said sponsored guns. I've got a sneaky feeling it had something to do with risk exposure. Let's say BSG had taken the shotgun she won and did something stupid with it...you know, like hunting wabbits.

Well, you can imagine the rest. And OU would end up having to defend the lawsuit, even if BSG or the person she hurt had a very crappy case.

That, and I don't have any idea what the RufNeks actually spent the proceeds on...although I suspect at least some of it went to purchase cereal malt beverages.

All that said, we are very fortunate to have such a great tradition/spirit organization. I maintain that Schooner and those guys are one of the coolest traditions in collegiate athletics. I wish them best of luck in the new season, and every true Okie is dang proud of 'em.

Totally Random RufNek Trivia: I was recently informed by a former RufNek Queen I happen to know, that traditionally, the Queen goes drawerless at games. Evidently, this remains the custom even after the tradition became evident to some observers the year the Schooner caught a seam in the old carpet-turf and rolled tossing Her Majesty unceremoniously tail over teakettle. Thankfully, nothing hurt but her pride.

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/2/2008, 01:41 PM
I wonder if a horsepig suit would actually protect the kid inside from shotgun spray...

:kelvin:

Okla-homey
7/2/2008, 01:52 PM
I wonder if a horsepig suit would actually protect the kid inside from shotgun spray...

:kelvin:

see what I mean? And the horsepig occupant would surely sue BSG and the University for such a thing.;)

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/2/2008, 01:56 PM
Muhfugga sue me - he'd just be practicin'...

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/2/2008, 01:59 PM
Disclaimer: I'd never shoot a person with my popgun. But I have had daydreams about shooting a horsepig with a regular gun.

OU4LIFE
7/2/2008, 02:45 PM
What I meant was that if you want to support a team, by going to their games (as you were talking about doing), you have to pay big bucks to support a big time program.

My original point being, for the people like my grandfather, that have sat through home game longer than most posters on this board have been alive, there should be some type of discount, or their donor amount doesn't go through the roof just because NOW THAT WE ARE WINNING SOME MORAN WITH A THICKER WALLET IS WILLING TO PAY MORE MONEY.

They might as well sent out a letter saying "Hey there, we know you faithfully bought tickets and paid donor money through some really crappy-*** years, but we've found out that we can really charge a ****load more for your seats since we're pretty good now. Yes yes, we know you can remember sitting in your seats when there wasn't anyone for 8 seats beside you, but that was then, and you loyalty really doesn't mean buck to us, so cough it up or get out old timer."

It's bull**** money politics and it sucks for people like him, who at 95 and paying for his wife's nursing home on a fixed budget, just doesn't have the 100,000 plus he's spent on those seats anymore.

but I guess since he can't afford it anymore, he's not allowed to root for the team, and must now choose a lesser team to root for. pfffft.

yermom
7/2/2008, 02:47 PM
who loses tickets for paying the same donations? does he have prime seats? are we talking about Texas?

i know people that aren't donors that aren't losing seats

OU4LIFE
7/2/2008, 02:59 PM
they are if the donor amount required to keep those particular seats goes up.

Texas included.

Lott's Bandana
7/2/2008, 03:10 PM
Actually, people who leave after the third quarter and such should have to pay double. That would fix that.

What's there to fix? I often move to his seat after he leaves...much better location.

C&CDean
7/2/2008, 04:04 PM
they are if the donor amount required to keep those particular seats goes up.

Texas included.

Dude, I've met your grandad a couple times and I very much respect his longevity - in life and in OU fandom. I can only hope I'm around to bitch about overpriced tickets 45 years from now...

That being said, if your grandad sits in what are now donor seats then I really don't have a problem with OU charging the donor fee. If the donor fees go up, oh well. When your grandad started buying OU tickets he could go down the street and buy a gallon of ethyl for 19 cents. Today, you can't even buy ethyl any more, and we all know what gas costs. It's all relative. **** costs a lot more now than it used to. For older folks on fixed incomes that sucks, but it's not just restricted to OU football tickets.

I have all the respect in the world for the oldtimers who've kept their tickets through thick and thin, but the boat has to float.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/2/2008, 05:17 PM
Lori is actually a pretty good women, I am sure that if enough people showed interest, she would push it through. I don't think they understand the demand of the shotgun sponsorship.

47straight
7/2/2008, 10:40 PM
Instead of bidding to be the OC for a series in the Red-White game, how about bidding to be the AD for a day? I could get Top Dawg back in less than 20 minutes, the horsepigs dumped into Lake Thunderbird by lunch, and get a local tribe to provide an authentic representation to grace our presence with on gamedays by quittin time.

Okla-homey
7/3/2008, 05:10 AM
Lori is actually a pretty good women, I am sure that if enough people showed interest, she would push it through. I don't think they understand the demand of the shotgun sponsorship.

Well, if you actually know her, by all means feel free to call her up and tell her this is very disappointing to a lot of people who spend a lot of money in Norman on game weekends.

OU4LIFE
7/3/2008, 05:27 AM
Dude, I've met your grandad a couple times and I very much respect his longevity - in life and in OU fandom. I can only hope I'm around to bitch about overpriced tickets 45 years from now...

That being said, if your grandad sits in what are now donor seats then I really don't have a problem with OU charging the donor fee. If the donor fees go up, oh well. When your grandad started buying OU tickets he could go down the street and buy a gallon of ethyl for 19 cents. Today, you can't even buy ethyl any more, and we all know what gas costs. It's all relative. **** costs a lot more now than it used to. For older folks on fixed incomes that sucks, but it's not just restricted to OU football tickets.

I have all the respect in the world for the oldtimers who've kept their tickets through thick and thin, but the boat has to float.

I dig it. I'm just too close to it to see it that way. All I know is here's a guy that has bled Crimson for freaking ever, and is pretty heartbroken over the whole deal. So I'm taking his side.

Ethyl hell, he used to take the freaking TRAIN down to the games. THAT'S old school. Oh and he said to 'tell that nice young man that runs the tailgates hello'. heh.

Scott D
7/3/2008, 05:34 AM
It is not our plan to sponsor shotguns at this time. I will maintain your contact information in the event that we do so in the future. Thanks.

Lori M. Kemmet
Spirit Coordinator

Pah, I bet if Bank of Oklahoma ponied up money they'd be on those shotguns faster than a cheesy skit on the Sports Animal.

C&CDean
7/3/2008, 08:11 AM
I dig it. I'm just too close to it to see it that way. All I know is here's a guy that has bled Crimson for freaking ever, and is pretty heartbroken over the whole deal. So I'm taking his side.

Ethyl hell, he used to take the freaking TRAIN down to the games. THAT'S old school. Oh and he said to 'tell that nice young man that runs the tailgates hello'. heh.

Cool.

yermom
7/3/2008, 08:40 AM

i'm still a bit confused by this. i know i don't know the inner workings, or what the conversations were, but at the very least i would think someone would just get bumped to cheaper seats, not lose tickets altogether. that sounds like crap you'd see on the news if they were doing that

i'm the lowest level of donor and my required donation hasn't changed since i got tickets 5 years ago, and i know people that have had tickets since the 90's that still don't have to give anything, but we are talking old upper deck and North end zone seats

OU4LIFE
7/3/2008, 08:40 AM
Cool.

he obviously don't know you too well.

heh

C&CDean
7/3/2008, 08:41 AM
he obviously don't know you too well.

heh

obviously...

OU4LIFE
7/3/2008, 08:44 AM
Look everyone Dean is getting as good at turning threads to Harry Potter as BRJ is into tiurning them into things about him.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/3/2008, 08:57 AM
Did somebody say BRJ!!!

BigRedJed
7/3/2008, 11:04 AM
Yes, as a matter of fact they did. Seems somebody wants this thread to be about me.

bri
7/3/2008, 01:49 PM
That's why you're the Mayor!

OUMallen
7/3/2008, 01:52 PM
This is major bunk. I was going to see if my tailgating group would sponsor one this year.

OU4LIFE
7/3/2008, 02:31 PM
i'm still a bit confused by this. i know i don't know the inner workings, or what the conversations were, but at the very least i would think someone would just get bumped to cheaper seats, not lose tickets altogether. that sounds like crap you'd see on the news if they were doing that

that's it, about. Bumped to lesser seats, into the endzone, after having been in the same seats since upgrading in the early 60's.

unless he wanted to up his donation of course...he just chose to give the old FU.

soonerloyal
7/3/2008, 03:44 PM
Pardon, pretty pretty please, my severe case of CRS...but in the case of your grandfather's seats - were they changed from one type of ticket-holder seats to another? And now they are in an area that is exclusively for donors who can pay out the six? That's just plain unfair. I understand big-bucks athletics (and greed), but a fat, bleeding pestilence should rain down on whomever sucks enough to crap on decades-long loyalty.

"I have all the respect in the world for the oldtimers who've kept their tickets through thick and thin, but the boat has to float."
Perhaps, but why does the boat have to float over the bodies of truly loyal, die-hard fans like his grandpa?

Love of money is indeed the root of all evil. *sigh*

JMOO, of course.

yermom
7/3/2008, 03:53 PM
that's it, about. Bumped to lesser seats, into the endzone, after having been in the same seats since upgrading in the early 60's.

unless he wanted to up his donation of course...he just chose to give the old FU.

that's ****ty. i didn't know they did that.

bri
7/3/2008, 04:06 PM
Are you new here? "that" is what they do best! :D

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/4/2008, 02:34 AM
Can we get back to talking about the Vespa riding mayor please?

OUbones
7/4/2008, 03:47 AM
Are you new here? "that" is what they do best! :D

Yeah Yermom you got your degree from OU so you know how they roll.

BigRedJed
7/4/2008, 09:49 AM
Can we get back to talking about the Vespa riding mayor please?
Heh.