PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of light bulbs -- I have a question.

SicEmBaylor
6/30/2008, 07:17 PM
I have this ceiling light/fan in my room. It's pretty standard, but the thing is driving me crazy. The fan itself keeps shaking the light bulbs loose which then rattle against the glass casing around them. It drives me crazy.

At any rate, another issue is that the bulbs don't seem to thread right when I screw them in. Is it possible to put a little oil or lubricant on the bulb's threads to help them screw into the socket??

Harry Beanbag
6/30/2008, 07:19 PM
I have this ceiling light/fan in my room. It's pretty standard, but the thing is driving me crazy. The fan itself keeps shaking the light bulbs loose which then rattle against the glass casing around them. It drives me crazy.

Sounds like you should balance your fan.

At any rate, another issue is that the bulbs don't seem to thread right when I screw them in. Is it possible to put a little oil or lubricant on the bulb's threads to help them screw into the socket??

It's possible. I would highly recommend not doing that though.

SicEmBaylor
6/30/2008, 07:21 PM
Sounds like you should balance your fan.

How do you do that?

Tulsa_Fireman
6/30/2008, 07:21 PM
How many SicEms does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

mdklatt
6/30/2008, 07:22 PM
How do you do that?

They sell kits, but some washers, some tape, and some Google will probably do the trick.

olevetonahill
6/30/2008, 07:24 PM
They sell kits, but some washers, some tape, and some Google will probably do the trick.

pennies , sicem aint gotta clue what a washer is. he will prolly try to mount a dishwasher up there.

shaun4411
6/30/2008, 07:26 PM
i hear man juice is a pretty good lubricant. try it. just dont get caught.

SicEmBaylor
6/30/2008, 07:30 PM
i hear man juice is a pretty good lubricant. try it. just dont get caught.

I'd rather not stick the Senator into an electrical socket. :eek:

SicEmBaylor
6/30/2008, 07:33 PM
I think another issue is that the AC vent on the ceiling is only half a foot or so away from the fan. When the AC is on, I think the air might be hitting the blades causing an up/down motion that makes the fan wobble.

AlbqSooner
6/30/2008, 07:35 PM
Put about 3 quarters on top of one fan blade with tape. If it is worse, move to the next blade. Continue until it gets better. Once you have determined which blade, move them from the edge in until it stops wiggling at all. Then, super glue them together and super glue them to the spot you have determined to be best.

Oh yeah, a word of caution. When you move the coins from one blade to the next and when you move them from the outside to the inside of the correct blade, TURN THE FAN OFF each time you prepare to move the coins.

Harry Beanbag
6/30/2008, 07:35 PM
I think another issue is that the AC vent on the ceiling is only half a foot or so away from the fan. When the AC is on, I think the air might be hitting the blades causing an up/down motion that makes the fan wobble.

The AC doesn't bother any of my fans, and I have one vent that is directly over the blades of a fan.

Harry Beanbag
6/30/2008, 07:37 PM
Put about 3 quarters on top of one fan blade with tape. If it is worse, move to the next blade. Continue until it gets better. Once you have determined which blade, move them from the edge in until it stops wiggling at all. Then, super glue them together and super glue them to the spot you have determined to be best.

Oh yeah, a word of caution. When you move the coins from one blade to the next and when you move them from the outside to the inside of the correct blade, TURN THE FAN OFF each time you prepare to move the coins.

And scrape/wash/wipe the half inch of dust off the top of the blades first, the tape will work better that way.

SicEmBaylor
6/30/2008, 07:37 PM
The AC doesn't bother any of my fans, and I have one vent that is directly over the blades of a fan.

Hmmm, well there goes that theory then.

yermom
6/30/2008, 07:40 PM

i just didn't want this to get passed over

colleyvillesooner
6/30/2008, 07:44 PM
I'm still throwing up...

olevetonahill
6/30/2008, 07:47 PM
Hmmm, well there goes that theory then.

Dont let em Kid ya Sic . Remember the expansion , contraction ?as that blade passes from cold air to Hot then back into cold . that dude is gonna expand and Contract . so theres yer problem .
Move the Fan or the the A/C duct.
YWIA

StoopTroup
6/30/2008, 08:19 PM
Sicem....

When you install a ceiling fan...there is actual instructions in the box on balancing the blades so they will work well.

If that doesn't fix the problem, you can go to any electrical supply and get new sockets. It's really not the tough to remove a couple of screws on the sockets and replace them. I've had stuff I bought that had those ceramic type sockets that made it seem like you were screwing the bulbs into a sand pile. I hate those.

Anyway...you might learn something...

At the worst you could either ruin the fan or electricute yourself.

Let us know how it goes. :D

GottaHavePride
6/30/2008, 09:42 PM
Is it possible to put a little oil or lubricant on the bulb's threads to help them screw into the socket??

It is. If you want to burn your house down. Oil is flammable. Electricity tends to ignite things.

Frozen Sooner
6/30/2008, 09:45 PM
How many SicEms does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

One. He just holds the bulb in the air and waits for the Second American Revolution.

olevetonahill
7/1/2008, 04:12 AM

Oh so youd Like something Tighter and Not so deep ?

Animal Mother
7/1/2008, 04:40 PM
Oh so youd Like something Tighter and Not so deep ?

Another one knocked out of the park by Olevet!!!