PDA

View Full Version : OU, pay cable and Northern Virginia

KingBarry
6/30/2008, 06:52 PM
I live in the Washington, DC suburbs (Alexandria, VA), and I have Comcast digital cable TV.

Local cable NEVER carries the Sooners unless they are on nationally. Week in and week out I am treated to such classic match ups as UVa and Wake Forest, and MD vs. Delaware.

When I tried to call Comcast at kickoff to buy the pay-per-view, the call actually went to some staff member's personal voicemail box and was never returned, much less the pay-per-view turned on to watch the game.

Therefore, I was a frustrated fan last year.

This year, I would like for things to work more smoothly.

What premium packages do any of you recommend? Remember, i am not living anywhere near Oklahoma or Big XII country where OU's regional games are picked up routinely. (In fact,the only non-national game I got to watch was Colorado, which totally sucked balls anyway.)

I understand that I could buy ESPN Gameplan, but isn't the Big XII contract with other networks? ABC and FOX Sports?

Can someone -- preferably someone in the mid-Atlantic region (college football's god-forsaken wasteland) -- help me out here?

VMG
6/30/2008, 07:55 PM
Lived in Alexandria for three years -- Gameplan is the answer. Every once in a while you'll have to go to the sports bar in Crystal City (have forgotten the name) because the game is on another network not carried by Comcast. But, it's a good venue to watch a football game...

Charla
6/30/2008, 08:03 PM
Does Dish have anything to offer ?

bluedogok
6/30/2008, 08:16 PM
I have DirecTV, they have the Fox Sports Net package which gives you most of the Regional Sports Networks and many of them carry the OU game broadcasts, it is like a $10.00 add-on for DirecTV. With that and GamePlan you should have the majority of them covered. I know many cable networks (like TimeWarner here) have a similar package.

trey
7/1/2008, 09:23 AM
Directv gameplan. i haven't missed a game in years

John Kochtoston
7/1/2008, 09:55 AM
Lived in Alexandria for three years -- Gameplan is the answer. Every once in a while you'll have to go to the sports bar in Crystal City (have forgotten the name) ...

Mackey's. It is (or at least was) the HQ of the DC Sooner Club on game days.http://www.dcsooners.com/

There's also one Downtown on 'L' at 18th or 19th Street.

KingBarry
7/1/2008, 11:12 PM
Thanks everybody for the advice. I'll look into it, but at the least it looks like I need to pick up Gameplan.

This looks like it's going to be one of those seasons that we'll all want to see, so thanks again for your help.

oudivesherpa
7/2/2008, 01:02 PM
Thanks everybody for the advice. I'll look into it, but at the least it looks like I need to pick up Gameplan.

This looks like it's going to be one of those seasons that we'll all want to see, so thanks again for your help.

KingBarry, thanks for the research, our daughter lives in Burke, Va and we'll be moving from Texas soon to Taxes.