PDA

View Full Version : Petraeus

BigRedJed
6/30/2008, 04:53 PM
Seems like the general is doing a pretty good job as Commander of MNF-I. What do you guys think?

GrapevineSooner
6/30/2008, 04:53 PM
Some call him Betrayus.

BigRedJed
6/30/2008, 05:30 PM
This would have been better if the title would have been in all caps. Or, at least, that's what I'm telling myself.

Harry Beanbag
6/30/2008, 05:36 PM
Is he replacing Tony Kornheiser?

bluedogok
6/30/2008, 08:35 PM
MNF-I.....Monday Night Football - Interactive?

reevie
6/30/2008, 09:10 PM
He's changed the operating strategy from sit and wait for something to happen to making things happen in our and Iraq's favor. I don't know if he developed the strategy, but he's executing it and it has been successful. Yes he has a done a good job and he did well enough to get a promotion out of it.

RedstickSooner
7/1/2008, 12:07 AM
Yeah, wtf is MNF-I? Multi-National Force-Iraq?

Do we really need some obscure acronym to confuse the discussion?

He's fine -- the real issue (in my mind) is what danger we're putting ourselves in long-term by buying off our former enemies. How long, precisely, do we expect to keep them bought?

And that whole General Betrayus crap is about the gayest thing I've seen any political think tank come up with in a *long* time. I now put MoveOn down there with PETA, as far as nitwits go.

Jerk
7/1/2008, 05:08 AM
A genius who very well could have salvaged GW's legacy.

(time will tell)

Okla-homey
7/1/2008, 06:38 AM
A genius who very well could have salvaged GW's legacy.

(time will tell)

I agree. We are every fortunate to have had this man available for command at this time and place.* DP had spent most of his professional academic life studying how to defeat an insurgency. The fact he is being given relatively unfettered authority to put his theories into practice is very good for America.

*quite often, usually in fact, America eventually manages to find and put the right guy in charge when the chips are down. Example, U.S. Grant eventually being placed in command of the entire US war effort in the fall of 1863. Bill Sherman being given command of the western army, with George Meade in command east of the Alleghenies. Three "aces" who put the wood to the Cornfeds after those same US forces had been repeatedly manhandled by the fellers in gray.

oh, and BTW, I put appointing Alito and Roberts in W's column too. Heller v. DC was a win for W.

47straight
7/1/2008, 11:18 AM
I agree. We are every fortunate to have had this man available for command at this time and place.* DP had spent most of his professional academic life studying how to defeat an insurgency. The fact he is being given relatively unfettered authority to put his theories into practice is very good for America.

*quite often, usually in fact, America eventually manages to find and put the right guy in charge when the chips are down. Example, U.S. Grant eventually being placed in command of the entire US war effort in the fall of 1863. Bill Sherman being given command of the western army, with George Meade in command east of the Alleghenies. Three "aces" who put the wood to the Cornfeds after those same US forces had been repeatedly manhandled by the fellers in gray.

oh, and BTW, I put appointing Alito and Roberts in W's column too. Heller v. DC was a win for W.

Schwartkopf as CINC of CENTCOM.

Okla-homey
7/1/2008, 01:05 PM
Schwartkopf as CINC of CENTCOM.

durn right.

and Washington during the Revy War.

and Winfield Scott during the Mex War.

and George Patton and Omar Bradley in Europe during WWII.

Hap Arnold who understood bombing, interdiction and close-air-support of friendly troops all belonged on the AF's plate in WWII.

MacArthur in Korea...although HST later fired him because he wanted to drive north of the 58th parallel to kill CHICOMs (and talked about it.)

Creighton Abrams as CSA during the modernization of the Army from nuclear speedbump in Europe to a high-speed and lethal combined arms team executing Air-Land Battle.

Curtis Lemay who took a bunch of cowboys with nukes and turned it into the uber-professional Stategic Air Command.

Hyman Rickover who conceived, birthed and raised the nuclear-powered Navy.

the list goes on and on...

shaun4411
7/1/2008, 01:06 PM
Seems like the general is doing a pretty good job as Commander of MNF-I. What do you guys think?

Monday Night Football?

Jerk
7/1/2008, 05:13 PM
Sorry to get side-tracked, but from what I've read, Curtis Lemay has:

1) Killed more enemy than any other American commander in our history
2) Was responsible for the USAF adoption of a controversial, high-tech * futuristic rifle for the AF called the "Armalite 15" designed by Eugene Stoner, which is now "in common use" by the American gun-owning public, and thus, protected by the 2nd Amendment according to SCOTUS :D

StoopTroup
7/1/2008, 05:18 PM
I thought this was one of those internet gas saver offers.