PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Neighbor's Overgrown Tree

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/30/2008, 04:09 PM
The neighbor who lives behind me has an overgrown tree that is now crossing over into my yard. I called the city and they said they can't make them trim it and that it is an issue between me and the neighbor. It is growing over power lines and OG&E says that since it is not on an easement they can't do anything about it either.

So. . .what's a homeowner to do? I'm tempted to have someone trim it for me then throw everything back into those people's yard.

TexasSooner01
6/30/2008, 04:16 PM
Here in Texas it is the homeowner's right to cut off any part of a tree/bush etc that is either touching your house or overgrowing into your yard. I would just cut it back to the property line. if the neighbor dont like it tell him to **** off!!!

kbsooner21
6/30/2008, 04:18 PM
So. . .what's a homeowner to do? I'm tempted to have someone trim it for me then throw everything back into those people's yard.

I'd talk to them about it first, but if the problem didn't get resolved, that's exactly what I'd do :D

r5TPsooner
6/30/2008, 04:19 PM
The neighbor who lives behind me has an overgrown tree that is now crossing over into my yard. I called the city and they said they can't make them trim it and that it is an issue between me and the neighbor. It is growing over power lines and OG&E says that since it is not on an easement they can't do anything about it either.

You might ask the neighbor if he would trim his tree or mind if you hired someone to do it for him.

If they get rude then you can get nasty.

soonermix
6/30/2008, 04:19 PM
salt the earth

mdklatt
6/30/2008, 04:22 PM

Don't you live in Moore? A tornado will take care of it in 3-5 years tops.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/30/2008, 04:23 PM
You might ask the neighbor if he would trim his tree or mind if you hired someone to do it for him.

If they get rude then you can get nasty.
My brother is in town this week. I may ask if he can go over there with me tomorrow. I don't want to go by myself because I don't know these people at all.

yermom
6/30/2008, 04:24 PM
LOL

i'd call the power company and tell them you were about to cut some trees that were going to fall on their lines

Animal Mother
6/30/2008, 04:24 PM
Tell the neighbor that Rev. Phelps is going to picket his property if he doesn’t trim his tree. The trimming will be done before you’re back in your house.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/30/2008, 04:25 PM
LOL

i'd call the power company and tell them you were about to cut some trees that were going to fall on their lines
This is what I got from OG&E:
Since the trees are in your neighbors backyard there is not anything that OG&E can do. We are only responsible for trimming the trees that are in the easements.

The only think that we can do is issue a order for someone to come out and disconnect the power lines so that you or your neighbor who ever wants to responsible can trim the tree or contract with someone to do the trimming safely. This would be at your expense or your neighbors expense should you decide to contract with someone to trim the trees.

yermom
6/30/2008, 04:28 PM
weird.

i like the salt the earth option then

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/30/2008, 04:30 PM
Don't you live in Moore? A tornado will take care of it in 3-5 years tops.Right. But it looks ugly now.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/30/2008, 04:31 PM
weird.

i like the salt the earth option then
What does that do?

C&CDean
6/30/2008, 04:35 PM
They've got a nice product at your local feed store called Spike. About a teaspoon full of it - sprinkled over the fence within the drip-line of the tree is all it takes. Tree will be dead in a couple weeks.

Animal Mother
6/30/2008, 04:37 PM
Or hire some of those Weegers to chop it down. Once they're sprung from prison they'll need work.

BigRedJed
6/30/2008, 04:48 PM
Yeah, it might just be me, but I'd suggest going with the "ask the neighbor about getting it trimmed" option before trying the "kill the neighbor's tree" option.

Viking Kitten
6/30/2008, 05:43 PM
P**sy.

mdklatt
6/30/2008, 05:55 PM
P**sy.

Always save that for when asking nicely doesn't work.

Czar Soonerov
6/30/2008, 07:56 PM
They've got a nice product at your local feed store called Spike. About a teaspoon full of it - sprinkled over the fence within the drip-line of the tree is all it takes. Tree will be dead in a couple weeks.

I guess a chainsaw wouldn't be an option at this point. :texan:

StoopTroup
6/30/2008, 08:11 PM
I think we need some pics of this situation to really be able to tell if it's worth killing a tree.

If OG&E isn't concerned about it causing an outage, I just don't understand what the big deal is.

If it is encroaching your yard and makes it difficult to manage your property (IE: Mow, dumping blooms or leaves or it's killing your grass Etc...).

If your just being anal and don't really want to know your neighbors then go with Dean's Agent Orange.

If your afraid you'll start a war with your neighbors by talking to them about how you feel about the tree then I think that's just sad. Unless they're POKES or Whorns....then kill the damn thing.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/1/2008, 04:34 AM
Here's what I did for a similar deal...

I went over and told the neighbor that her bushes and limbs were encroaching over the fence and cutting off circulation around my house letting mold and mildew build up. I was going on an extended international trip and said when I came back in about 5 weeks or so, if they weren't trimmed, I would trim them up to the fence line as we are allowed to do in Texas (as previously mentioned). I came back and they were very nicely trimmed up and away from the fence.

I went out and bought a very nice and inexpensive flower arrangement from Sam's and took it over to her.

Goodwill ever since and she has pointed out yard pests on her side to protect my yard, I then fungicided her yard for her...

SoonerJack
7/1/2008, 07:42 AM
We had a tree that was kinda interfering with easy sidewalk passage and my neighbor came over and asked if we minded if he trimmed it for us and I was like "way to go Dave!" Have at it.

The trimming was on my list of things to do but I just hadn't gotten around to it.

Viking Kitten
7/1/2008, 07:56 AM
Don't listen to these people, SBSB. Talking doesn't do squat. In fact, you should take out their dog too. Show 'em you mean business.

yermom
7/1/2008, 08:03 AM
What does that do?

the Romans did it to Carthage after the Pubic wars so that crops wouldn't ever grow there again

Fugue
7/1/2008, 09:05 AM
the Romans did it to Carthage after the Pubic wars so that crops wouldn't ever grow there again

musta saved a buttload of $ on waxing

BigRedJed
7/1/2008, 09:14 AM
Don't listen to these people, SBSB. Talking doesn't do squat. In fact, you should take out their dog too. Show 'em you mean business.
Chocolate bar (dark chocolate) with a Prestone chaser. YWIA.

Or, you could go chat with your neighbor whom you've never bothered to discuss it with and who is probably oblivious to the problem and at least SEE if you could work it out amicably. Just a thought.

BigRedJed
7/1/2008, 09:17 AM
This came up on a Google search for "Pubic war":

http://www.nakedprotesters.com/public-nudity/no-pubic-hair.jpg

Whet
7/1/2008, 10:24 AM

Why do you hate trees?
(you are not in Tulsa, are you?) ;)

Mixer!
7/1/2008, 11:24 AM
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/4039/ohgodwhatkn6.jpg

sooneron
7/1/2008, 11:53 AM
This came up on a Google search for "Pubic war":

http://www.nakedprotesters.com/public-nudity/no-pubic-hair.jpg

:hot:

Bone
7/1/2008, 12:12 PM
Cut it down.

Miko
7/1/2008, 02:58 PM

And if you really want to show them, divert a river to flow through their yard!!

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam! :D