PDA

View Full Version : I guess when you own seven homes...

Frozen Sooner
6/30/2008, 04:06 PM
...it's easy to forget to pay taxes on one of them:

When you're poor, it can be hard to pay the bills. When you're rich, it's hard to keep track of all the bills that need paying. It's a lesson Cindy McCain learned the hard way when NEWSWEEK raised questions about an overdue property-tax bill on a La Jolla, Calif., property owned by a trust that she oversees. Mrs. McCain is a beer heiress with an estimated $100 million fortune and, along with her husband, she owns at least seven properties, including condos in California and Arizona.

San Diego County officials, it turns out, have been sending out tax notices on the La Jolla property, an oceanfront condo, for four years without receiving a response. County records show the bills, which were mailed to a Phoenix address associated with Mrs. McCain's trust, were returned by the post office. According to a McCain campaign aide, who requested anonymity when discussing a private matter, an elderly aunt of Mrs. McCain's lives in the condo, and the bank that manages the trust has not been receiving tax bills on the property. Shortly after NEWSWEEK inquired about the matter, the McCain aide e-mailed a receipt dated Friday, June 27, confirming payment by the trust to San Diego County in the amount of $6,744.42. County officials say the trust still owes an additional $1,742 for this year, an amount that is overdue and will go into default July 1. Told of the outstanding $1,742, the aide said: "The trust has paid all bills shown owing as of today and will pay all other bills due."

Dan McAllister, treasurer- tax collector for San Diego County, said that about 3 percent of San Diego's approximately 1 million property owners default on their property taxes each year. The county assesses a 1.5 percent penalty for each month that goes by unpaid and puts houses up for sale after five years. "We do hear an awful lot of excuses for why people don't pay," McAllister said. "Under the law, the property owner is responsible for keeping the address current. We're only as good as the information we are given."

http://www.newsweek.com/id/143775/

yermom
6/30/2008, 04:33 PM
meh.

6k? it's not like they are getting rich by not paying taxes, i'd be more concerned about the money they are taking in from various sources than forgetting to pay out

bluedogok
6/30/2008, 08:48 PM
100 Million just doesn't go as far as it used to.....

$6,700 for four years of property taxes in LaJolla? That is about two years worth on our house appraised for 140K here in Austin. They must have had that property a long time for the taxes to be that low.

StoopTroup
6/30/2008, 08:53 PM
I think it says a lot about them.

The Devil is in the details.

If they'll overlook such a small detail in their own finances...

Imagine how you'll fair once the get the keys to the POTUS.

I don't think bringing OBL to justice can get me to vote for them now.

That's messed up.

If it had been four weeks I might have been "meh"....

Four years?

Jerk
6/30/2008, 09:17 PM
Poor McCain.

He tried to buddy up with Democrats, and look how you guys treat him.

mdklatt
6/30/2008, 09:21 PM

I guarantee that's all her doing. Or her people, most likely. She has a lot more money than he does; what's his is theirs and what's hers is hers. He doesn't seem like a sit-down-at-the-kitchen-table-and-pay-the-bills kind of guy. He's not telling her how to spend her money. For that matter, does any politician tend to their own financial affairs? They all have enough money to have accountants and whatnot.

Frozen Sooner
6/30/2008, 09:26 PM
Poor McCain.

He tried to buddy up with Democrats, and look how you guys treat him.

McCain's been getting pretty kid-glove treatment so far. Had Obama failed to pay property taxes on one of his properties, you'd better believe it'd be all over Fox News right this very second.

That being said-this is probably an honest mistake. Cindy McCain has people to take care of stuff like this, and it looks like they fell down on the job.

Jerk
6/30/2008, 09:29 PM
McCain's been getting pretty kid-glove treatment so far. Had Obama failed to pay property taxes on one of his properties, you'd better believe it'd be all over Fox News right this very second.

That being said-this is probably an honest mistake. Cindy McCain has people to take care of stuff like this, and it looks like they fell down on the job.

I don't even understand why this is news.

And Stoop Troop's response just floors me.

Oh well. I'm getting to where I don't care.

Soonerus
6/30/2008, 09:30 PM
I can see forgetting something like that...

Frozen Sooner
6/30/2008, 09:34 PM
I don't even understand why this is news.

And Stoop Troop's response just floors me.

Oh well. I'm getting to where I don't care.

Well, it's news when a presidential candidate fails to pay all of his taxes for four years. That is kind of an issue, though in this case I think the explanation given by the McCains is fairly reasonable.

Heck, I've seen plenty of people who only have one house forget to pay the property taxes because it wasn't being escrowed.

Soonerus
6/30/2008, 09:37 PM
I guarantee the McCains do not escrow for taxes..

Frozen Sooner
6/30/2008, 09:40 PM
That's what I'm saying. I'm sure that they paid cash for the properties.

RedstickSooner
7/1/2008, 12:04 AM
If you oppose McCain, and you try to act like this matters AT ALL, you only serve to weaken your own vantage point.

This is like an investigative article claiming McCain hates animals because he won't spay or neuter his pets.

C'mon -- there's GOT to be something better out there to find fault with. Not only is this a piddling detail (and owing back taxes for a property you don't live in is a fairly piddling detail) it isn't even about him -- it's his friggin' wife.

I really hope one of the major candidates donkey-punches an intern soon (while someone records the whole thing on a cell phone) so we can get on to more substantive issues.

Mixer!
7/1/2008, 12:20 AM
DO NOT google "donkey punch"!

This will be your only warning.

:pop:

Jerk
7/1/2008, 05:05 AM
Well, it's news when a presidential candidate fails to pay all of his taxes for four years. That is kind of an issue, though in this case I think the explanation given by the McCains is fairly reasonable.

Heck, I've seen plenty of people who only have one house forget to pay the property taxes because it wasn't being escrowed.

I'm sure he'd rather pay the taxes than have the house seized. I mean, it's kind of hard to cheat on ad valorem, isn't it? And there is no advantage to putting it off, because interest accrues.

ugh, I'm defending McCain.

Animal Mother
7/1/2008, 04:35 PM
I'm sure he'd rather pay the taxes than have the house seized. I mean, it's kind of hard to cheat on ad valorem, isn't it? And there is no advantage to putting it off, because interest accrues.

ugh, I'm defending McCain.

This is what our election process has come to circa 2008.

How hard did Eddie Haskell punch the Beaver (not the donkey)?

How many times?

Did Eddie enjoy it?

Did he use a closed fist or an open hand?

Style and not substance counts. Then everyone wants to pizz and moan about the guy that's elected.

Blue
7/1/2008, 04:53 PM
The economy, this election, the mainstream media...makes me wanna puke. For realz.

Blue
7/1/2008, 04:56 PM
CNN has got some shat on about Shrooms being "medicinal" and beneficial.

Let's all go out to the cow pasture!

Next thing..."We did a study on cocaine and it made people feel better!"

JohnnyMack
7/1/2008, 05:15 PM
You serious Clark?

yermom
7/1/2008, 05:16 PM
hey, why did God give us shrooms if we weren't supposed to take them? :D

StoopTroup
7/1/2008, 05:17 PM
Sorry Jerk....

I guess it's the tax thing for me.

If your a playa...you better take care of business.

If you can't handle it all...you should hire someone to do it for you but remember they are not the responsible party...you are. So be responsible.

Also the thing is...Hey Blondie! Your Husband is running for President! You betta get some folks to start looking under every nook and cranny because some folks might have an agenda.

Seriously....is the Republican Party asleep at the wheel after eight years of being asleep at the wheel?

Blue
7/1/2008, 05:27 PM
hey, why did God give us shrooms if we weren't supposed to take them? :D

I'd agree with that if they didn't grow out of shat. And if it was 7 years ago. :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/1/2008, 05:33 PM

Imagine how you'll fair once the get the keys to the POTUS.

I don't think bringing OBL to justice can get me to vote for them now.

That's messed up.

If it had been four weeks I might have been "meh"....

Four years?Yeah, now you'll just HAVE to vote for Obama! lol (how sad for you lefties...and for the country!)

StoopTroup
7/1/2008, 05:38 PM
Yeah, now you'll just HAVE to vote for Obama! lol (how sad for you lefties...and for the country!)

Don't call me a leftie...

THE only reason McCain won't get my vote is GWB not getting OBL.

The rest of this is just BS.

BTW Obama hasn't gotten my vote either....not that it will make much difference. Heck I might even pass on voting when it gets right down to it. If I had wanted HRC anywhere near the White House...I would have voted for her.

The way things are starting to look...McCain will be a clone of the Dole Campaign.