PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION OF THE WEEK. RIVALS

JLEW1818
6/30/2008, 01:55 AM
THIS WEEK'S QUESTION: The top three players taken in the NBA Draft this year were freshmen. Could a football player make a similar impact in the NFL after only one season of college ball? Why or why not??

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=822119

olevetonahill
6/30/2008, 02:24 AM
No , Ala Clarett NFL rules say they have to be 2 yrs past High school .

yermom
6/30/2008, 02:36 AM
that's the point of the question, Olevet

some positions like RB they probably could, others not so much

soonerfan28
6/30/2008, 08:18 AM
If they went to say prep school and then redshirted a year. Then would they be able to?

JLEW1818
6/30/2008, 12:27 PM
I honest to God think AD could have after his freshman season.

bmrsnou
6/30/2008, 05:05 PM
It depends on the position. RB,CB yes. All other positions (at least to me) seem to require more "football" knowledge, and more size for a more complicated and bigger (size wise) NFL. In my lifetime, I say that AD, Earl Campbell, and maybe Eric Dickerson could have gone from freshman to NFL. Just my opinion.

KingDavid
6/30/2008, 06:44 PM
I honest to God think AD could have after his freshman season in high school

Fixed.:D

goingoneight
6/30/2008, 07:12 PM
I don't know... there's a lot of physical maturity that needs to take place for 99% of all college athletes before they make that jump. Like Malcom Kelly for instance... skinny as a twig at the age of 18. The NFL doesn't have Jerry Schmidts to develop players, that is their own responsibility. Top tier programs bust their players' azzes to make players out of athletes, stars out of potential.

For every AD, there's... well everybody else who just ISN'T ready.

sooneron
6/30/2008, 07:53 PM
It depends on the position. RB,CB yes. All other positions (at least to me) seem to require more "football" knowledge, and more size for a more complicated and bigger (size wise) NFL. In my lifetime, I say that AD, Earl Campbell, and maybe Eric Dickerson could have gone from freshman to NFL. Just my opinion.

You forgot Herschel. He could have made the jump, easily.

BoulderSooner79
6/30/2008, 11:39 PM

Add Herchel Walker and Bo Jackson to that list. But yeah, elite RB would be the most likely to make an impact. I think that is the reason the rule about 3 years post-HS has held up - not enough players wanting to challenge it. I hope it stays that way, but I could see the rule getting reversed in court under right to work arguments. Most players don't want bite the hand they hope will feed them; but there will always be more Clarett types.

RedstickSooner
6/30/2008, 11:53 PM
I'd be surprised if the courts intervened. Not only does the NFL not want young players (because they're so much more of a crapshoot), but colleges have a lot of clout -- and they sure as heck don't want to see their players leaving early.

If any courts actually ruled against the NFL in this, I wouldn't be surprised to see Congress wade in and muck things up, er, protect the powers-that-be.

BoulderSooner79
7/1/2008, 12:19 AM
I'd be surprised if the courts intervened. Not only does the NFL not want young players (because they're so much more of a crapshoot), but colleges have a lot of clout -- and they sure as heck don't want to see their players leaving early.

If any courts actually ruled against the NFL in this, I wouldn't be surprised to see Congress wade in and muck things up, er, protect the powers-that-be.

The courts only get involved when someone files a case. That would have to come from a player or class action from a group of players. The NFL likes having a free farm system and the NFL players association doesn't want even younger player competing for their jobs. Colleges don't want change. That leaves players who can't cut it in college due to academics (or are overcome by desire for quick $$$). If they leave football for 3 years post-HS, they would have little chance of making an NFL roster. If such a player were a potential star, he would have no problem finding an agent to help him sue the NFL. I was surprised the Clarett case failed. But that was just one case in one regional court and he could have had a moron lawyer.

I'm not saying this will happen, but look at basketball. Most the top NBA picks are freshman. I think the only difference in football is so few players could make the jump any earlier and so few of those are dumb enough to sue their future benefactors.

olevetonahill
7/1/2008, 04:10 AM
A 1st year Kid Aint gotta chance in the NFL, Nuff said Next question ?

OU_Sooners75
7/1/2008, 04:43 AM
No , Ala Clarett NFL rules say they have to be 2 yrs past High school .

No, they have to be 3 years removed from High School, not 2.

And there is a very good reason for it.

OU_Sooners75
7/1/2008, 05:05 AM
Sorry for making two posts, but here is what I think the reasoning is...

I don't know how many of you played Football in High School and College, but if you did play in college you will know this.

Between the two levels there is a huge gap. I can only imagine the gap between High School and the NFL, I never played in the NFL.

From the time a football player goes from High School to being a College Senior their body is still growing. You tend to see a lot of players packing on 20+ pounds of muscle from the time they arrive to the time they leave College.

With me, I arrived at college my freshman year weighing in at 282 pounds (played offensive tackle) at 22% BF. I was redshirted. By my second year in college I was at 305 pounds 18% BF. But in between that time, I dropped to 265 pounds and added 40 pounds of muscle to my body. By my third year of college, I weighed in at 310 pounds, grew half an inch, and was at 16% BF. By the time I graduated College, I was at 315 pounds and 15% BF. I added 33 pounds to my body, but I actually dropped 20 pounds of fat and added 50 pounds of muscle.

Football is a very violent sport (for those that have not played). If you were a well conditioned 17-18 year old lining up going against a well conditioned 24-30 year old, the odds are against you. The odds are you will be spending a lot of time visiting with team doctors. Your body, from the muscles to the bones, is not ready for the impact of the much faster and bigger players.

olevetonahill
7/1/2008, 05:51 AM
I played HS ball . weighed in at 190.
Got Drafted (Army)was pretty buff . went to Nam came home, weighed in at 150 :eek:

OUHOMER
7/1/2008, 06:28 AM
I dont think any kid is ready for the NFL after high school. But this is AMERICA, if somebody wants to try I say let them.

OU_Sooners75
7/1/2008, 06:49 AM
I dont think any kid is ready for the NFL after high school. But this is AMERICA, if somebody wants to try I say let them.

Football is not like Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, LaCrosse, or any other sport in this world.

Only once in a generation will a kid be able to go straight from high school and make it in the NFL.

There are too many physical and maturity issues that are in the way.

If the NFL allowed for anyone to try, there would be way to many injuries and probably a lot more deaths.

sooner94
7/2/2008, 06:43 PM
A lot of people back in the day said John Elway could have gone straight to the NFL from high school, he was that good. I don't agree.

As stated several times above, it depends on the position:

QB- The jump in ability of DB's is way too much, and there is a much shorter amount of time before the pass rush gets there. A high school QB could not handle that without progressing through college.

RB- Earl Campbell, AD, Herschel are a few that come to mind. I think this is the "easiest" position to make the jump. Only the really gifted ones could do it.

WR- Even if a guy is big and strong enough, his routes are probably not precise enough. A high school guy would really struggle.

TE- They could not handle the blocking right out of high school. Same issue with running routes as WR's.

OL- Blocking assignments are more complicated than people think. Also, very few guys would be physically ready.

DE/DL- Very few guys would be physically ready, or have refined technique.

LB- Offenses would be too complex coming right out of high school, most guys would be too small.

DB- Playing safety would be too big of a jump without college ball. Some CB's could do it, but doubtful.

OU_Sooners75
7/3/2008, 02:39 AM
RB- Earl Campbell, AD, Herschel are a few that come to mind. I think this is the "easiest" position to make the jump. Only the really gifted ones could do it.

First let me say, this is a fair assessment on all points.

However, in general, the game moves a lot faster from High School to College. And they say it moves even faster from College to the NFL.

Anyway. No knock on any of these running backs, they are all greats, or going to be great. But.....I do not think they would have been ready after High School.

Yes, AD had a great freshman year and great college career. But he would have been a very average back in the NFL if he came right out of high school.

And chances are, his body would have been much more shattered within his first two seasons.

Scott D
7/3/2008, 05:43 AM
First off, the NBA rule of one year past high school is stupid, and college basketball has suffered the most from that rule. Secondly, not even the great Jim Brown would have been NFL ready after high school. A kid may have all the ability in the world, but considering that top college players are roughly the top 15% of all high school players, and then that NFL players are the top 5% of college players by their 3rd year past high school, it'd be less than 1% that could be considered any sort of NFL ready.

Not to mention that an 18 year old kid wouldn't see the field at all as a rookie in the NFL. They'd probably be riding pine and doing scout team/special teams for likely 2-3 years. Or in other words, they wouldn't get the development they'd have gotten by going to play college ball for 3 years.

swardboy
7/3/2008, 08:15 AM
I'd only give high school phenom kickers/punters the nod as the most likely position players to make the jump.

yermom
7/3/2008, 08:17 AM
i didn't think about kickers. that's a good point

i'm with ScottD on this one, this being on a college team for one year thing is hella dumb