6/28/2008, 10:53 PM
that sucks for them

RIP dog

Big Red Ron
6/28/2008, 11:06 PM
meh

stoopified
6/28/2008, 11:07 PM
Damn,I thought they had accidentally uncovered the grave of Mex(early OU mascot).

Fraggle145
6/28/2008, 11:20 PM
Sucks. UGA VI was a good dawg.

SoonerinSouthlake
6/29/2008, 12:00 AM
Sucks. UGA VI was a good dawg.

Im sad
think I will go to sleep

SOONER STEAKER
6/29/2008, 12:07 AM
Did UGA pass away as a the result of the GA baseball team chocking against Fresno State?

Flagstaffsooner
6/29/2008, 12:10 AM
First Reville and now this, oh the dogmanity!!!!

SoonerDood
6/29/2008, 08:59 AM
To hell with Georgia!

Scott D
6/29/2008, 09:18 AM
it's only a tragedy if Uga VII isn't ready.

and the price of steak goes down in Texas whenever a Bevo croaks.

Flagstaffsooner
6/29/2008, 09:47 AM
it's only a tragedy if Uga VII isn't ready.

and the price of steak goes down in Texas whenever a Bevo croaks.and you get the ****s at Ryans Steakhouse.

47straight
6/29/2008, 04:18 PM
and the price of steak goes down in Texas whenever a Bevo croaks.

"I wanna go to Bovine University!"

- Ralph Wiggum

Jacie
6/29/2008, 09:02 PM
Damn,I thought they had accidentally uncovered the grave of Mex(early OU mascot).

http://www.touchbase.org/kappasigma-ou/Newsletter/NewsletterPreview.cfm?NewsletterIDNum=1&[email protected]

Mex, the Gamma Kappa Legend
Beloved 'Mex' Still Recalled By Gamma-Kappa Don Whiteman ('69)
(Seen in Caduceus Dec 1977)

Don Whitman ('69) saved a recent clipping from the Oklahoma City Daily Oklahoman feature section which bore the headline: 'Let's Hear It Again for Mex' which told about the famous Kappa Sigma mascot at Oklahoma whose death in 1928 sent the campus into mourning.

Mex is now buried under the north end zone seats of Owen Stadium at Norman, and writer Frank Boggs commented that 'on those Saturdays when the Sooners are at home he surely welcomes the happy vibrations.'

A stray dog found by Kappa Sigma Mott Keys in 1916, Mex went to the Mexican border with the Oklahoma National Guard unit that was chasing Pancho Villa. Keys later went to France with the American Ex- peditionary Force, then came back to Oklahoma and took Mex to Norman and the newly-built Kappa Sigma house. Bennie Owen coached the Oklahoma football teams and Owen allowed the lovable Mex to travel on all road trips with the Sooner squads. When OU went north to play Drake about 1924, Mex got lost at Arkansas City, Kansas, but was wait- ing there three days later when a search party showed up.

When Mex gave up breathing, Gamma- Kappa GM Dick Martin sent a telegram to brothers throughout Oklahoma: 'Mex Died Tonight Eleven Fifteen.' There were few dry eyes around 731 Asp Street in Norman for a couple of days, and Mex's tired body lay in state in a darkened room in a special coffin built by the brothers. The university closed for his funeral on May 2, 1928 and lines of students and faculty walked through the house to say goodbye to Mex.

RedstickSooner
6/29/2008, 11:24 PM
I'd be fine for mourning when mascots die -- provided they weren't named as sequels.

Now, I realize Uga is a fairly specific name. However, it smacks of laziness when you're on, say, Mike the Tiger number Six.

I mean, c'mon - just give the dude a new first name. Unless the name is directly linked to the university, like Uga, it should be changed for each mascot. (And, really, one would think Georgia could come up with a second cute name if they actually tried.)

Maybe I shouldn't throw rocks while I'm in a glass house. Which edition of Boomer & Sooner are we up to? And I don't think we even number ours -- we just replace 'em like nothing ever happened. :eek:

Scott D
6/30/2008, 10:02 AM
well to be fair, each Uga does have a different name. Same with most every live animal mascot. They take the mascot name when their predecessor is either retired or dies.

Fraggle145
6/30/2008, 02:11 PM
I'd be fine for mourning when mascots die -- provided they weren't named as sequels.

Now, I realize Uga is a fairly specific name. However, it smacks of laziness when you're on, say, Mike the Tiger number Six.

I mean, c'mon - just give the dude a new first name. Unless the name is directly linked to the university, like Uga, it should be changed for each mascot. (And, really, one would think Georgia could come up with a second cute name if they actually tried.)

Maybe I shouldn't throw rocks while I'm in a glass house. Which edition of Boomer & Sooner are we up to? And I don't think we even number ours -- we just replace 'em like nothing ever happened. :eek:

Each dawg has its own registered name...

* Uga I ("Hood's Ole Dan," 1956-1966) - the original, a descendant of a Bulldog that accompanied the Georgia football team to its Rose Bowl victory and national championship in 1942.

* Uga II ("Ole Dan's Uga," 1966-1972) - two Southeastern Conference (SEC) football titles (1966 & 1968).

* Uga III ("Seiler's Uga Three," 1972-1981) - presided over Georgia's second national championship season in 1980 and two SEC championships (1976 & 1980).

* Uga IV ("Uga III's Magillicuddy/Seiler's Uga Four," 1981-1990) - was the first live mascot ever invited to a Heisman trophy presentation in 1982 when, while wearing a tux, Uga IV accompanied Herschel Walker to the Downtown Athletic Club; two SEC championships (1981 & 1982).

o Otto ("The Substitute," 1986) - When Uga IV injured his left hind knee jumping off a hotel bed before a contest against Vanderbilt in 1986 his older brother Otto replaced him for 4 games, going 3-1. [3]

* Uga V ("Uga IV's Magillicuddy II," 1990-1999) - portrayed his father, Uga IV, in the motion picture "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" and was on the cover of Sports Illustrated in 1997;[4] propelled to the national spotlight when he lunged at an Auburn wide receiver, Robert Baker, during a game in 1996.

* Uga VI ("Uga V's Whatchagot Loran," 1999-2008) - two SEC championships (2002 & 2005), Sugar Bowl (2003 & 2008), more victories over ranked opponents than any other Uga (over 20 as of 2007).

TheUnnamedSooner
6/30/2008, 05:41 PM
I know where there's a new urinal in Georgia!!