PDA

View Full Version : Pic - Japanese Destroyer in Pearl Harbor

Jerk
6/28/2008, 04:38 PM
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n101/rorobell/080626-N-1974P-008.jpg

Some of you may get riled up by this, but they are an important ally now.

olevetonahill
6/28/2008, 04:41 PM
I aint riled . they Not to **** with us :D

Harry Beanbag
6/28/2008, 04:46 PM
I think we built that ship anyway, looks like an Arleigh Burke class.

Lott's Bandana
6/28/2008, 05:27 PM
Before I retired from the submarine force, we used to go visit the Japanese submarines that were tied up next to us at the pier at Pearl...don't think we ever put much thought into the irony after 50 years, they just had good beer.

olevetonahill
6/28/2008, 05:30 PM
Before I retired from the submarine force, we used to go visit the Japanese submarines that were tied up next to us at the pier at Pearl...don't think we ever put much thought into the irony after 50 years, they just had good beer.

Thats a Place I wouldnt want to be In case of War !
Subs Hell NO . Put My boots In the mud ;)

SicEmBaylor
6/28/2008, 05:35 PM

You didn't think much of it, but I wonder if they did...

Harry Beanbag
6/28/2008, 05:39 PM
My ship was in the 50th anniversary of V-J Day parade of ships back in '95 at Pearl Harbor. There were 50 war ships involved, I know there were Russian, Australian, and British ships, don't remember if there were Japanese or what other countries were represented.

OKLA21FAN
6/28/2008, 06:01 PM
damn!!!!

first Toyota's in Nascar, now this???!????

Homey ain't gunna like this at all!!!!!

:pop:

Okla-homey
6/28/2008, 06:59 PM
Good show. Those guys are our allies now. What's done is done.

But, I'm still p1ssed off at their grandpaws. Those bastages can k1ss my big Okie arse.

olevetonahill
6/28/2008, 07:11 PM
As a young lad I read a Lot of Naval books (fiction)
Run silent Run deep etc. Id would have shat My drawers to have been on a sub during WW2 Or hell Any ship for that Matter . You get hit you are shark shat !
Like I said Boots On the ground for Me.

AggieTool
6/28/2008, 07:14 PM
I think we built that ship anyway, looks like an Arleigh Burke class.

I think they built it under license.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/japan/kongo.htm

Harry Beanbag
6/28/2008, 07:19 PM
I think they built it under license.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/japan/kongo.htm

Interesting.

Harry Beanbag
6/28/2008, 07:21 PM
You didn't think much of it, but I wonder if they did...

I'm sure they did, especially while rendering honors when passing the Arizona Memorial.

Lott's Bandana
6/28/2008, 07:50 PM
Well, I suppose then when I was navigating my submarine into Tokyo Bay, I should have been shouting "Neener Neener" while looking out the periscope! (that would have pizzed off teh Admiral tho, with all the Japanese VIP's in the control room he was showing off to...)

Olevet, your muddy boots and the Marine buttwipe vs. my cuppa joe and airconditioning at 700 feet deep? Gimme the joe anyday.

soonerboomer93
6/28/2008, 08:44 PM
i'm pretty sure it's lacky some of the higher end features that ours have. Atleast that's my understanding when I first learned about it.

Scott D
6/28/2008, 09:48 PM
yeah, but the general integrated features that ours are built with are in some ways supplanted by fancier tech they can put in theirs.

regardless, they're vastly restricted on what JDF can and can't have these days. And if that was going to rile people up Jerk, I could have taken dozens of pictures of Japanese P-3s next to American P-3s next to Australian and Canadian P-3s at Barbers Point in the late 80s.

OU-HSV
6/28/2008, 10:09 PM
nice fishing boat

Tulsa_Fireman
6/28/2008, 10:39 PM
It's got a fish finder.

The trolling motor is a beyonce to get in the water from the bow, though.

stoopified
6/28/2008, 10:52 PM
Thats a Place I wouldnt want to be In case of War !
Subs Hell NO . Put My boots In the mud ;)I have a buddy who was in the SILENT SERVICE,He says there are two types of ships- Subs and Targets. But personally I'm with you.

Lott's Bandana
6/29/2008, 10:25 AM
It is a heel of an advantage knowing NOBODY can find you...not them, not us, no way, no how. Gave us all the confidence in teh world to sneak around taking pics just like teh one that started this thread...in their ports, of their stuff.

We'd practice on our own "targets", then go do it to the bad guys. My fav pic is teh one with the young Sovie feller lighting a smoke, standing on the deck of his ship while in port, with his Kalish over his shoulder, and teh periscope reticles clearly visible in the photograph.

Oh, and behind the camera was six Mk 48 ADCAP torpedoes "looking" at teh same thing.

Young man's game tho. Wouldn't even think of doing any of that now.

Pass me the remote and teh cheetos please.

PhilTLL
6/29/2008, 01:00 PM
They started a fight that we won and then we extended the victory across the rest of the century by essentially rebuilding them in our own image--the ideal ally. With that in mind, it seems hard to get upset about this.

Okla-homey
6/29/2008, 07:02 PM
It is a heel of an advantage knowing NOBODY can find you...not them, not us, no way, no how. Gave us all the confidence in teh world to sneak around taking pics just like teh one that started this thread...in their ports, of their stuff.

We'd practice on our own "targets", then go do it to the bad guys. My fav pic is teh one with the young Sovie feller lighting a smoke, standing on the deck of his ship while in port, with his Kalish over his shoulder, and teh periscope reticles clearly visible in the photograph.

Oh, and behind the camera was six Mk 48 ADCAP torpedoes "looking" at teh same thing.

Young man's game tho. Wouldn't even think of doing any of that now.

Pass me the remote and teh cheetos please.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for guys who wear dolphins. I went aboard an SSN at Norfolk once for a tour and almost went batty from the clusterphobie. And I was only aboard a couple hours. Hand salute!

Lott's Bandana
6/30/2008, 07:51 PM
I have a tremendous amount of respect for guys who wear dolphins. I went aboard an SSN at Norfolk once for a tour and almost went batty from the clusterphobie. And I was only aboard a couple hours. Hand salute!

Thanks Homey...we got a pretty good group of Vets here on teh board and I enjoy teh "sea stories"...even teh ones about muddy boots. :pop:

In another life, my last boat:

http://www.quickpicturehost.com/images/qph-1214873357.jpg

olevetonahill
7/1/2008, 12:56 AM
Ya gotta be NUTS to crawl aboard one of those !
Bro there aint a Tree to hide behind , nor any ground to Dig a Fox hole !:eek:

Curly Bill
7/1/2008, 01:01 AM
Spent my four years in the Navy and I'm quite glad I didn't have to crawl into one of those things. Respect to those that have and continue to do so though.

C&CDean
7/1/2008, 08:19 AM
I've been on a couple of WWII diesel subs. No ****ing way in hell you're gonna close that thing up and take a dive with me on board. Give me a C-130 at 1,200 feet and a T-10 to jump with any time over that mess.

Lott's Bandana
7/1/2008, 08:27 AM
The thing that is remarkable about the photo of my boat, USS Santa Fe SSN 763, is that you NEVER see a submarine on the surface without both periscopes and the radar mast up. (normally just behind the orange clad fellas) As you can see, there isn't much freeboard on a 688i class SSN, especially in weather. Visibility for those guys was about 4000 yards, that low in the water.
This photo was staged during sea trials, after the helicopter ensured the area ahead was clear of any surface contacts. We lowered the scopes and radar and the helicopter took the pic. Worked pretty well, and I daresay she hasn't run that blind since.

USS Santa Fe with t'hawk tube doors open, periscope and comms antenna up, in port Pearl Harbor.

http://www.quickpicturehost.com/images/qph-1214917352.jpg

Here is the sister ship (JS Kongo) of the photo above. She is not an Arleigh Burke class ship, although she looks very, very similar and does have the SPY-1 phased array radar that give her the signature "racquetball court" boxy superstructure found in Ticonderoga and Arleigh Burke class US ships.

http://www.quickpicturehost.com/images/qph-1214918176.jpg

The Arleigh Burke has the "racquetball court" appearance, but also has a single raked mast which makes her quite easy to identify, especially through a periscope! :cool:

http://www.quickpicturehost.com/images/qph-1214918318.jpg

The SPY-1 Phased Array radar is quite familiar to folks in these parts. ADVANTAGE Doppler and all the fancy WX tracking radars built in the last few years, including the one at the National Weather Center in Norman, is simply a SPY-1 "lite".

Harry Beanbag
7/1/2008, 08:35 AM
Spent my four years in the Navy and I'm quite glad I didn't have to crawl into one of those things. Respect to those that have and continue to do so though.

I was a submarine volunteer up until time to get my orders. Due to the needs of the Navy at the time, we were told the only possible home port we would get if we were going to a sub was Pearl Harbor. I didn't want to be stuck on an island for 4 or 5 years so I chose to go the surface route.