PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone suggest a good driver?

Soonermagik
6/28/2008, 03:35 PM
I'm leaning towards callaway's big bertha 460.

Does anyone have any experience with taylor made drivers?

LilSooner
6/28/2008, 03:37 PM
I can't hit for **** with my big bertha driver. I hit a lot better with a smaller head.

bri
6/28/2008, 04:05 PM
http://upload.moldova.org/movie/movies/d/driving_miss_daisy/thumbnails/tn2_driving_miss_daisy_2.jpg

olevetonahill
6/28/2008, 04:07 PM
I need one for Game days

Lott's Bandana
6/28/2008, 05:29 PM
Give the Cleveland Hi-Bore a look. It draws much better than Morgan Freeman....

r5TPsooner
6/28/2008, 05:46 PM
Taylormade Burner.

Jimminy Crimson
6/28/2008, 06:00 PM
Ping G-10 hit pretty good for me. I haven't sprung for it yet, but I've hit it at the range and the store a few times. Oooh, me likey!

soonerinabilene
6/28/2008, 07:06 PM
I hit a Burner, a Bertha, and a Cleveland at the range. None of them were as right of a fit for my particular swing as the Ping G-10. That,imo, is the best driver to come out in a long, long time.

r5TPsooner
6/28/2008, 08:07 PM
I use a Taylormade r5 TP. I love the damn thing and the face is about .5 degrees open.

Soonermagik
6/28/2008, 09:41 PM
Okay, it looks like I will be headed to golf galaxy to try some of the suggested clubs.

r5tpsooner, you must really love that thing since it is your screen name.

Thanks guys!!

PrideTrombone
6/28/2008, 09:47 PM
Taylormade Burner.

Seconded.

OU-HSV
6/28/2008, 10:06 PM
I've got a T-Rex driver. I bought it from an old coworker a few years ago..I could never hit w/my crappy small driver I had before. I can tear into them more often w/my T-Rex than I ever could before. And get some hella distance. I guess it all depends on how serious you are about golf..and how much jack you wanna throw down for it.

I think mine is the 442...but I couldn't tell ya for sure til I got off my lazy azz and opened my golf bag up to see what it is.

http://www.mggolf.com/clubs.asp?ru=r&v=&shopping=&f=c

Tulsa_Fireman
6/28/2008, 10:36 PM
So what's the verdict on squarehead drivers for those... uhhh... directionally challenged like myself?

I've heard they help a ton with squaring up the clubface at address and striking the ball well, but sacrifice some ability to shape a shot. The only shot shaping I'm doing is in the shape of a banana, so A) is what I'm hearing true, and B) will it help?

Speaking of squaring up the clubface, for some insane reason without an alignment aid from address I'm right of the target. In my stance, to me, it looks like I'm dead money. Write this one off to just sucking, or will that squared head straighten up my crooked eyeballs?

soonerinabilene
6/29/2008, 09:00 PM
So what's the verdict on squarehead drivers for those... uhhh... directionally challenged like myself?

I've heard they help a ton with squaring up the clubface at address and striking the ball well, but sacrifice some ability to shape a shot. The only shot shaping I'm doing is in the shape of a banana, so A) is what I'm hearing true, and B) will it help?

Speaking of squaring up the clubface, for some insane reason without an alignment aid from address I'm right of the target. In my stance, to me, it looks like I'm dead money. Write this one off to just sucking, or will that squared head straighten up my crooked eyeballs?

That could just be how open you have your club. You can line up straight as an arrow, but if your club is either opened too much or closed in, you wont hit it where you are aiming.

Condescending Sooner
6/30/2008, 10:00 AM

Also, you have to remember your club head is quite a ways from your feet. Your feet being lined up to the hole means your club head is actually lined up quite a bit right. You need to get behind the ball, pick a line with an object close to your ball, and line up the club face with that line before setting your feet.

RacerX
6/30/2008, 10:11 AM
http://upload.moldova.org/movie/movies/d/driving_miss_daisy/thumbnails/tn2_driving_miss_daisy_2.jpg
http://www.mtv.com/movies/photos/t/transporter2_050815/flip-a.jpg

RacerX
6/30/2008, 10:12 AM
http://blog.newsarama.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/normal_speed_racer-racer_x.jpg

RacerX
6/30/2008, 10:13 AM
http://thegarageblog.com/garage/wp-content/uploads/speedracer1.jpg

OU4LIFE
6/30/2008, 10:18 AM
Best Driver = endless debate.

They are all good. All driver heads, regardless of size or shape must conform to the legal COR set by the USGA. So...damned near all of them are pushing that number. Spend your time asking about the shaft, that's what really important. Getting the right launch numbers is paramount, and you can get that by trying different shafts in the same head. So pick a driver head that looks good to you, and then start tweaking different shafts on a launch monitor.

Square head drivers = straighter. NO QUESTION. However, if the face of that driver is open or closed at impact, it doesn't matter what shape of driver you are hitting. What the square heads do, is make a driver more forgiving. That means hits on the heel and toe both tend to go straighter. So basically you can miss it all over the clubface and still get decent results.

just remember that the shaft is the 'engine' of the club, crappy engine, crappy results.

stoops the eternal pimp
6/30/2008, 10:20 AM
Its all in the hips

OU4LIFE
6/30/2008, 10:24 AM
stop undulating.

sooneron
6/30/2008, 10:48 AM
I like my Taylor Made. I'm thinking of getting a new shaft for it. I think it's an R560 or something like that.

Soonermagik
6/30/2008, 11:40 AM
Best Driver = endless debate.

They are all good. All driver heads, regardless of size or shape must conform to the legal COR set by the USGA. So...damned near all of them are pushing that number. Spend your time asking about the shaft, that's what really important. Getting the right launch numbers is paramount, and you can get that by trying different shafts in the same head. So pick a driver head that looks good to you, and then start tweaking different shafts on a launch monitor.

Square head drivers = straighter. NO QUESTION. However, if the face of that driver is open or closed at impact, it doesn't matter what shape of driver you are hitting. What the square heads do, is make a driver more forgiving. That means hits on the heel and toe both tend to go straighter. So basically you can miss it all over the clubface and still get decent results.

just remember that the shaft is the 'engine' of the club, crappy engine, crappy results.

Good post. I'll have to try that nike sumo squared driver too. Thanks!!

Bone
6/30/2008, 12:52 PM
I'm gonna have to go with Hoke Colburn.

r5TPsooner
6/30/2008, 12:55 PM
I personally hate the 460cc heads. That's why I own two r5 TP's with different shaft configurations. Some say that the difference in 10cc is minimal but when I work the ball from side to side, I find the smaller head easier to control.

I'll never use a driver with a 460cc head again.

Jimminy Crimson
6/30/2008, 01:08 PM
Its all in the hips

Shakira said it best -- hips don't lie!

BudSooner
6/30/2008, 01:10 PM
Sadly, it's this ****er.
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/tom_bowles/04/17/busch/t1_kyle.busch2.jpg

OU4LIFE
6/30/2008, 01:29 PM
Sadly, it's this ****er.
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/tom_bowles/04/17/busch/t1_kyle.busch2.jpg

Ah, Mr. CarQuest Kellogg Goodyear Bosch.

nice guy. tough name. I bet he got beat up a lot as a kid.

OU4LIFE
6/30/2008, 01:30 PM
I personally hate the 460cc heads. That's why I own two r5 TP's with different shaft configurations. Some say that the difference in 10cc is minimal but when I work the ball from side to side, I find the smaller head easier to control.

I'll never use a driver with a 460cc head again.

eh, if they're good enough for the best players in the world, they're good enough for me. :D