PDA

View Full Version : AVG "Free" Edition

StoopTroup
6/28/2008, 12:40 PM
Four hours and 36 minutes on the scan and it's still not finished.

It says I've got 2 Trojan Horse Proxies on C: and a Boot Sector error on C: :(

Should it take this long?

Am I screwed or should I go purchase a decent virus scan?

Scott D
6/28/2008, 12:41 PM
you have the new 8.0 version, or rocking the unsupported 7.5?

StoopTroup
6/28/2008, 12:42 PM
7.5 :(

Scott D
6/28/2008, 12:45 PM
yeah, 8.0 became available a couple of months ago. Might want to upgrade to it, they appear to have built some anti-spyware into it also.

StoopTroup
6/28/2008, 12:46 PM
I'll stop it and give it a try.

Thanks Scott.

StoopTroup
6/28/2008, 12:47 PM
After I stopped the scan it deleted the threats.

OU-HSV
6/28/2008, 01:06 PM
I had a lot of problems this week as well.
I think something involved with my AVG was blocking me from even opening my internet explorer. Cox cable said they showed an internet connection, yet I couldn't open the internet. So I installed the upgrade to AVG 8.0 so that I could uninstall AVG entirely.

I'm giving Cox McAfee another shot to see how it is. My first try of it several months ago wasn't very impressive.

If all else fails I'll probably give that AVG 8.0 a try. So you'll have to let me know how you like it after a while.

StoopTroup
6/28/2008, 01:22 PM
$54.99!

I don't think so!

Anyway I started looking at my computer and noticed my Daughter's user was logged on with 6 programs running. One of them? Yep...AVG scan in progress. The guest account had 8 running and yep...one of them was an AVG scan running.

I shut them all down and did a restart.

Now I'm running another scan just to be safe.

Damn you Club Penguin!

:D

Frozen Sooner
6/28/2008, 01:30 PM
There's a free version of 8.0. It's always just a pain in the *** to find the link on Grisoft's website.

StoopTroup
6/28/2008, 01:31 PM
OK...after this next 4 hour scan...I'll look for it.

Thanks Mike.

Scott D
6/28/2008, 02:46 PM
yeah, sorry I meant the 8.0 free version. It's what I've been using, and you will have to poke around grisoft's site to find it.

yermom
6/28/2008, 03:05 PM
http://free.grisoft.com

if you don't watch where you click it starts talking about buying stuff :D

this should give you the direct download:

http://www.grisoft.cz/filedir/inst/avg_free_stf_en_8_101a1327.exe

King Crimson
6/29/2008, 07:12 AM
and be careful about selecting the tool bar for AVG 8.0.

when i upgraded to 8.0 after years of loyal avg'ing i was a little plussed by how it seemed to be trying to sell itself to me all the time (and the toolbar has a link to "upgrade" staring at you 24/7). ...which was the opposite of what i liked best about AVG before: it was unobtrusive, did it's thing, and i could schedule scans for 3 AM. if i want some kind of software ads all over my machine i'll use iTunes. ha ha.

Which is why, in another thread, i mentioned i was running avast! on my laptop--since it apparently runs without making a spectacle of itself. also, the original install of 8.0 was unable to make a connection with the update manager--so, i had to manually update every morning. which was kind of annoying me. but, i've made my peace with AVG 8.0 and uninstalled and reinstalled minus the toolbar and the update connection seems to have "fixed itself" with the re-install.

happy days.

and you can find all kinds of dl links here for freeware (including AVG, Spybot, Ad Aware, etc):

http://www.majorgeeks.com/

it can be worth it, save some coin. a couple years ago i paid 25$ for a year of a registry cleaner when i could (were i not a knucklehead) have got one for free.

OU-HSV
6/29/2008, 07:53 AM
and be careful about selecting the tool bar for AVG 8.0.

when i upgraded to 8.0 after years of loyal avg'ing i was a little plussed by how it seemed to be trying to sell itself to me all the time (and the toolbar has a link to "upgrade" staring at you 24/7). ...which was the opposite of what i liked best about AVG before: it was unobtrusive, did it's thing, and i could schedule scans for 3 AM. if i want some kind of software ads all over my machine i'll use iTunes. ha ha.

Which is why, in another thread, i mentioned i was running avast! on my laptop--since it apparently runs without making a spectacle of itself. also, the original install of 8.0 was unable to make a connection with the update manager--so, i had to manually update every morning. which was kind of annoying me. but, i've made my peace with AVG 8.0 and uninstalled and reinstalled minus the toolbar and the update connection seems to have "fixed itself" with the re-install.

happy days.

and you can find all kinds of dl links here for freeware (including AVG, Spybot, Ad Aware, etc):

http://www.majorgeeks.com/

it can be worth it, save some coin. a couple years ago i paid 25$ for a year of a registry cleaner when i could (were i not a knucklehead) have got one for free.

I'm wondering if that may be part of the problem I was having. Something like the AVG toolbar eventually conflicted w/my windows defender or something. Hell I don't know, just guessing at stuff.

yermom
6/29/2008, 10:52 AM
generally anytime i see "toolbar" i think "uh, no"

RacerX
6/29/2008, 12:08 PM
That's how I feel about windows defender.

It's annoying to uncheck toolbar installations all the time.

StoopTroup
6/29/2008, 04:01 PM
A 24/7 link would PO me so bad I'd probably freak.

King Crimson
6/29/2008, 04:21 PM
A 24/7 link would PO me so bad I'd probably freak.

hell, it's still got a drop down "notification" that wants to sell you the pro upgrade version that you can "hide". sure, you got to make money but mo fo please?

Frozen Sooner
6/29/2008, 04:23 PM
generally anytime i see "toolbar" i think "uh, no"

Generally, anytime I see "toolbar" I think "yermom."

Thanks, folks, I'll be here all week.

King Crimson
6/29/2008, 04:28 PM
Generally, anytime I see "toolbar" I think "yermom."

Thanks, folks, I'll be here all week.

when i think toolbar, i think of Brother's on Friday night.

OU-HSV
6/29/2008, 04:58 PM
So if a person is using Norton, McAfee or another type of virus protection...is windows defender really necessary to leave running??

Animal Mother
6/30/2008, 04:52 PM

DIRECT HIT!!!!

YOU SUNK MY BATTLESHIP!!!!

yermom
6/30/2008, 05:07 PM

you just missed me, i was there Thursday :D

TUSooner
6/30/2008, 07:24 PM
Four hours and 36 minutes on the scan and it's still not finished.

It says I've got 2 Trojan Horse Proxies on C: and a Boot Sector error on C: :(

Should it take this long?

Am I screwed or should I go purchase a decent virus scan?

Tried Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2008? Free and good.
Not stictly speaking an "antivirus thingy," but it cleaned up a couple of Trojan somethings.
For registry fixin, I used Advanced Windows Care V2 and CCleaner, both free. Together they fixed more errors than a $30 program identified but did not fix.

I did run some scans this weekend that took a few hours. The old desktop PC was fair-dinkum mess.

shaun4411
6/30/2008, 07:38 PM
i use AVG, spybot, and windows defender. that's it. i havent had a virus or instance of known spyware or malware in years.

adaware is very good too!

StoopTroup
6/30/2008, 08:22 PM
Everything seems to be OK now.

Thanks everyone for your help and ideas.