PDA

View Full Version : A question for Ike , Or any of you brainiacs

olevetonahill
6/28/2008, 11:36 AM
They are saying NO danger In the Headlines but then admit a 1 in 50 mil chance .
what are the Dangers of the supercolider ( in Laymens Terms Please )
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080628/ap_on_re_eu/doomsday_collider;_ylt=AusbTyY1TqI2IfHap46.8ZOs0NU E
Also what advantages If any. Can we as Common folk expect from this ?

Lott's Bandana
6/28/2008, 11:52 AM
This article is kinda funny:

Critics of the LHC filed a lawsuit in a Hawaiian court in March seeking to block its startup, alleging that there was "a significant risk that ... operation of the Collider may have unintended consequences which could ultimately result in the destruction of our planet."

Hawai'i vs. Switzerland...who wins?

And so far, Earth has survived.

Writer must be from Misery with all that journalistic insight.

Each year the detectors will generate 15 petabytes of data, the equivalent of a stack of CDs 12 miles tall.

Who did that math? My dog can produce 15 petabytes in much less than a year....

"There is a huge army of scientists who know what they are talking about and are sleeping quite soundly as far as concerns the LHC," said project leader Evans.

"There is a huge army of scientists who know what they are talking about and are sleeping quite soundly as far as concerns the Nazis," said project leader Goebbels.

Fixed.

Jerk
6/28/2008, 11:53 AM
They are saying NO danger In the Headlines but then admit a 1 in 50 mil chance .
what are the Dangers of the supercolider ( in Laymens Terms Please )
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080628/ap_on_re_eu/doomsday_collider;_ylt=AusbTyY1TqI2IfHap46.8ZOs0NU E
Also what advantages If any. Can we as Common folk expect from this ?

I asked Ike this same question about 6 months ago. It was a good thread, but probably hard to dig up.

I'll try, though.

olevetonahill
6/28/2008, 12:02 PM
I asked Ike this same question about 6 months ago. It was a good thread, but probably hard to dig up.

I'll try, though.

Guess I missed it .
:O

Jerk
6/28/2008, 12:02 PM
I can't find it.

I tried searching the following words:

Hadron
Hadron Collider
Strange Matter
Mini Black Hole
Gordon Freeman

47straight
6/28/2008, 12:03 PM
Advantages: we know how matter is made up at a more fundamental level. We can then manipulate it. We don't *really* know how stuff is made up much deeper than the subatomic level. There are atoms, with a nucleus made up of neutrons and protons, with much smaller electrons going around. We know about the forces that keep that atom together. But we don't know much lower than that. Like - what are said neutrons, protrons, electrons made up of? What holds *them* together? Is an electron a particle or a wave?

It's pretty exciting stuff. We could have been at the forefront if our own supercollider project hadn't gotten overrun with cost and mismanagement in the 90s. It set us back, literally, 15 years.

olevetonahill
6/28/2008, 12:03 PM
I can't find it.

I tried searching the following words:

Hadron
Hadron Collider
Strange Matter
Mini Black Hole
Gordon Freeman

Well we Need NEW answers then :D

olevetonahill
6/29/2008, 01:05 AM
Im serious . Do we need to bend over and Put our heads between our Legs and Kiss our asses goodbye ?

Flagstaffsooner
6/29/2008, 01:12 AM
Im serious . Do we need to bend over and Put our heads between our Legs and Kiss our asses goodbye ?No worse that those chemistry experiments that you do in your kitchen.:D

Ike
6/29/2008, 03:55 AM
Im serious . Do we need to bend over and Put our heads between our Legs and Kiss our asses goodbye ?

No.

We physicists might be a bunch of semi-wierdos, but we like life (and beer!) just as much as the next guy. If anyone involved in this seriously thought there was a chance we'd blow ourselves to bits, this would be scrapped in a heartbeat.

The thing is, just as the CERN folks say, we've been bombarded with high energy rays for a long time, that have produced probably everything we could hope to produce in a collider. (it's just a whole lot harder to observe a whole bunch of cosmic rays because any detector is limited to looking at only one tiny portion of the sky). We're still here, and we'll be here for a whole lot longer. Nukes will take us out before an accelerator does.

There are always doom and gloomers that look for any excuse they can to don their tin-foil hats. This guy tried to sue to stop RHIC from turning on too. It hasn't imploded the earth either.

Ike
6/29/2008, 03:59 AM
Advantages: we know how matter is made up at a more fundamental level. We can then manipulate it. We don't *really* know how stuff is made up much deeper than the subatomic level. There are atoms, with a nucleus made up of neutrons and protons, with much smaller electrons going around. We know about the forces that keep that atom together. But we don't know much lower than that. Like - what are said neutrons, protrons, electrons made up of? What holds *them* together? Is an electron a particle or a wave?

It's pretty exciting stuff. We could have been at the forefront if our own supercollider project hadn't gotten overrun with cost and mismanagement in the 90s. It set us back, literally, 15 years.

we know a little more than that (like what protons and neutrons are made of, and what holds them together.). But yeah, our knowledge is certainly incomplete. We've got this great model going on called the "Standard Model", which try as we might, we just can't seem to break yet. But it has this pesky issue. There's a particle it says must exist in order for there to be a reason for anything to have mass. So far, we don't see it.

Also, we have no idea how to incorporate gravity at the quantum level.

Flagstaffsooner
6/29/2008, 05:55 AM
Also, we have no idea how to incorporate gravity at the quantum level.Olevet and I have that proplem sometimes. We fall down after quantum levels of OVJ.;)

Okla-homey
6/29/2008, 07:25 AM
we know a little more than that (like what protons and neutrons are made of, and what holds them together.). But yeah, our knowledge is certainly incomplete. We've got this great model going on called the "Standard Model", which try as we might, we just can't seem to break yet. But it has this pesky issue. There's a particle it says must exist in order for there to be a reason for anything to have mass. So far, we don't see it.

Too bad Isaac Newton is dust. Prolly the smartest human who ever lived. He'd solve your little riddle with mathematics and a pencil on the back of a Denny's placemat between the time the waitress brings the coffee and when his western omelette arrived.;)

47straight
6/29/2008, 04:13 PM

It's been a decade since I took modern physics, sue me. :P

StoopTroup
6/29/2008, 04:16 PM
Once Y2K hits it won't matter anyway.

JohnnyMack
6/30/2008, 01:01 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/30/doomsdaycollider.ap/index.html

So if it does turn into a black hole that swallows the planet, will it hurt?

Bone
6/30/2008, 01:10 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/30/doomsdaycollider.ap/index.html

So if it does turn into a black hole that swallows the planet, will it hurt?

We'll just shoot out the other side to a parallel universe.

OUDoc
6/30/2008, 01:13 PM
It'll probably cause the North Pole to melt.

OUstudent4life
6/30/2008, 01:15 PM
We'll just shoot out the other side to a parallel universe.

...or did that already happen?

yermom
6/30/2008, 01:21 PM
Too bad Isaac Newton is dust. Prolly the smartest human who ever lived. He'd solve your little riddle with mathematics and a pencil on the back of a Denny's placemat between the time the waitress brings the coffee and when his western omelette arrived.;)

he couldn't even get mechanics right ;)

Okla-homey
6/30/2008, 03:03 PM
he couldn't even get mechanics right ;)

He quit at age 26 to be a politician. Maybe if he'd have stuck with it?