PDA

View Full Version : Best Multi-sports athlete at OU?

soonerfan28
6/27/2008, 09:35 PM
I can only think of Brandon Jones off the top of my head and yes that is probably because I'm younger, but I thought I would get opinions of people who know more of the athletes that have come through here then I do. I know we had Blanton, but I believe he only played 1 season of football.

BarryBnds
6/27/2008, 09:43 PM
Kevin Bookout, Cale Gundy, Brian Sallier, Dean Blevins, Drew Christman are the guys that immediately come to mind as playing multiple sports.

bluedogok
6/27/2008, 09:51 PM
Ryan Minor - drafted in the second round of the 1996 NBA Draft by the Philadelphia 76'ers and the 33rd round of the 1996 baseball draft by the Baltimore Orioles. He was on the Orioles major league roaster from 1998-2000, he was with the Expos in 2001. He was the player who replaced Cal Ripken Jr. at Third Base when Ripken ended his consecutive games streak.

soonerfan28
6/27/2008, 09:53 PM
I remember Minor and Bookout. Those should have been easy. I think I got stuck on football and any other sport.

SoonerinSouthlake
6/27/2008, 09:54 PM
Kim and Kelly LaMaster in 93 come to mind for me.

Oh wait...no they didnt play 2 sports..they were twins.

But man could they twirl the ever living crap out fo those batons

soonermix
6/27/2008, 09:56 PM
yep ryan minor is who came to my mind

Jdog
6/27/2008, 10:08 PM
Minor was the best all round.
but
Didn't Jimbo Elrod wrestle at OU?

tulsaoilerfan
6/27/2008, 10:43 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think Derland Moore was a football walk on from the track team that went on to a long career in the NFL with New Orleans

goingoneight
6/27/2008, 11:02 PM
I once played beer pong and did a keg stand at my friend's apartment close to the stadium. Does that count?

Rhino
6/27/2008, 11:09 PM
It's hard to top Dr. Death Steve Williams.

An All-American in football and a four-time All-American in wrestling.

SoonerinSouthlake
6/27/2008, 11:53 PM

Yeah but he had back to back to back losses to Kevin VonErich, Gentleman Chris Adams and the Great Kabuki at the Sportatorium in Dallas...that kinda ruined for me

JLEW1818
6/28/2008, 04:20 AM
you have to love the name Bookout when you talk OU sports.!!!!

John Kochtoston
6/28/2008, 08:20 AM

As much as I love a guy who wears a hockey mask to an amateur wrestling tournament, Doc wasn't a football AA.

BarryBnds
6/28/2008, 09:41 AM
Kim and Kelly LaMaster in 93 come to mind for me.

Oh wait...no they didnt play 2 sports..they were twins.

But man could they twirl the ever living crap out fo those batons

Kim and Kelly Masters

SoonerinSouthlake
6/28/2008, 09:43 AM
Kim and Kelly Masters

well, you knew who I meant:D

King Crimson
6/28/2008, 10:02 AM
As much as I love a guy who wears a hockey mask to an amateur wrestling tournament, Doc wasn't a football AA.

i think that's correct, i think he was all Big 8 maybe once. but, still impressive.

John Kochtoston
6/28/2008, 10:57 AM
i think that's correct, i think he was all Big 8 maybe once. but, still impressive.

well, he was a better football player than me, for sure. :D
Minor's a good choice, as least as far as the modern era. There were more two-sporters in the 1950s. Dan Hodge was an Olympic wrestler and a golden gloves boxing champ, but I don't think boxing ever was a varsity sport @ OU.

Harry Beanbag
6/28/2008, 11:12 AM
I think Glenn Sullivan was drafted in baseball.

King Crimson
6/28/2008, 11:28 AM
well, he was a better football player than me, for sure. :D
Minor's a good choice, as least as far as the modern era. There were more two-sporters in the 1950s. Dan Hodge was an Olympic wrestler and a golden gloves boxing champ, but I don't think boxing ever was a varsity sport @ OU.

i've posted this before but Danny Hodge was in my Granddad's bible study group in Perry. and i used to go when we'd visit. shaking hands with Danny Hodge was like shaking hands with a catcher's mitt made of steel. helluva a nice guy. won the Silver Medal in '56.

edit: i say "was" because my grampaw has passed on, DH is still going and still lives in Perry to my knowledge.

Rhino
6/28/2008, 08:46 PM
As much as I love a guy who wears a hockey mask to an amateur wrestling tournament, Doc wasn't a football AA. My bad. You're right.

Steve should proofread his website a bit more, I guess. He was first-team All-Conference in 1982, not All-American.

stoopified
6/28/2008, 09:30 PM
Tom Churchill.Yeah I know everyone is saying who?Churchill was a true multisport star in the thirties I think.I don't recall specifics but believe he earned a total of (12) letters in (4) sports.I'm thinking football,basketball,baseball,track.I also seem torecall he was all conference in at least 2 sports.

stoopified
6/28/2008, 10:37 PM
Research( via google) reveals that Churchill was Allconference in basketbal 1927-1929,lettered in football '27-'29,was football A-Ain 1929,won the Decatholon atthe prestigous 1928 Kansa relays,was on the 1928 Olympic team as a decathalete(finished 5th place out of 38 contestants in '28 Olympics).In addition he pitched for the baseball team.His frosh year he (as all frosh at the time)was ineligible for varsity sports so he won the intramural heavywieght,light heavyweight boxing titles.Oh yeah,later he signed as a pitcher with the Yankees.No disrespect to any of these other athletes but Churchill IS CLEARLY the best all-around athlete in OU history.

BTW he lettered 10 times in four total sports(football, basketball,baseball,track) in his three year career

bluedogok
6/29/2008, 09:27 PM
Did Kelly Gregg wrestle at OU?

Curly Bill
6/29/2008, 09:31 PM
Research( via google) reveals that Churchill was Allconference in basketbal 1927-1929,lettered in football '27-'29,was football A-Ain 1929,won the Decatholon atthe prestigous 1928 Kansa relays,was on the 1928 Olympic team as a decathalete(finished 5th place out of 38 contestants in '28 Olympics).In addition he pitched for the baseball team.His frosh year he (as all frosh at the time)was ineligible for varsity sports so he won the intramural heavywieght,light heavyweight boxing titles.Oh yeah,later he signed as a pitcher with the Yankees.No disrespect to any of these other athletes but Churchill IS CLEARLY the best all-around athlete in OU history.

BTW he lettered 10 times in four total sports(football, basketball,baseball,track) in his three year career

Sounds like a winner here to me.

stoopified
6/30/2008, 11:10 AM
Sounds like a winner here to me.He is DEFINITELY the greatest athlete that no one has ever heard of.

I still recall reading an article about him in Sooners Illustrated 4-5 years ago and thinking:Who was this guy?More importantly,why had I never heard of him before.I would say he is the nearest thing to Jim Thorpe to ever be a part of OU.

sooner94
6/30/2008, 11:32 AM
Yeah but he had back to back to back losses to Kevin VonErich, Gentleman Chris Adams and the Great Kabuki at the Sportatorium in Dallas...that kinda ruined for me

That is a GREAT post! Ha! I remember watching those guys. Was that Mid-South?

I remember watching Mid-South at the Myriad as a kid (so maybe I'm white trash).

sooner94
6/30/2008, 11:33 AM
Did Kelly Gregg wrestle at OU?

Yes, he did wrestle at OU. And he starred in those commercials as Buddy Lee. That's a multi-sport star in my book.

soonerfan28
6/30/2008, 01:13 PM
Leonce Crump. I think it was just 1 year of football, but he wasn't bad. Pretty good wrestler.

mikeelikee
6/30/2008, 01:18 PM
Bookout and Ryan Minor are excellent choices. I also think Scott Martin deserves mention. I believe he was All Big-8 in both basketball and tennis.

Rhino
6/30/2008, 02:22 PM
Leonce Crump. I think it was just 1 year of football, but he wasn't bad. Pretty good wrestler. I'm pretty sure Crump never got past spring ball.

soonerlaw
7/1/2008, 10:38 AM
How about Nate Hybl? National Championship in Football and Golf (of course it was at Georgia, but still..).

okieslp
7/1/2008, 03:04 PM
That is a GREAT post! Ha! I remember watching those guys. Was that Mid-South?

I remember watching Mid-South at the Myriad as a kid (so maybe I'm white trash).

Yeah, I remember World Class Championship Wrestling out of Dallas on Saturday nights. The Von Erichs and The Freebirds - classic rasslin' rivalry. :D

goingoneight
7/1/2008, 09:30 PM
How about Nate Hybl? National Championship in Football and Golf (of course it was at Georgia, but still..).

Easy... you'll get them stirred up around here. :D

Breadburner
7/1/2008, 10:28 PM
Bull Dog Bob Brown.....

Soonerus
7/1/2008, 10:37 PM

n8 is not eligible in this category for multiple reasons...

OUmillenium
7/2/2008, 09:15 AM
I think Glenn Sullivan was drafted in baseball.

Played for the AAA Iowa Cubs. And coached in the minors.

Incredible Baseball coach. Recently hired at Holland Hall.

Was recruited out of HS by KSU...for basketball.

OUmillenium
7/2/2008, 09:17 AM
Yeah, I remember World Class Championship Wrestling out of Dallas on Saturday nights. The Von Erichs and The Freebirds - classic rasslin' rivalry. :D

MidSouth was ran by Bill Watts and featured JYD, Dr. Death, Ted Dibiase, etc.

World Class was ran by Fritz Von Erich out of big D and featured Von Erichs, Freebirds, Iceman King Parsons, Chris Adams, Jim Garvin, etc.

No white trash here baby!

soonerlaw
7/3/2008, 10:15 AM
My favorites in Mid South were Terry Taylor and the RocknRoll Express. Does anyone remember, I believe...Rock and Flash, who I think later became the ultimate warrior and sting.

sooner94
7/3/2008, 11:01 AM
My favorites in Mid South were Terry Taylor and the RocknRoll Express. Does anyone remember, I believe...Rock and Flash, who I think later became the ultimate warrior and sting.

Who was the knucklehead manager that carried the "loaded" tennis racket around. Jim Cornett?

47straight
7/3/2008, 11:43 AM
I'm just glad noone said Casey Bookout. His HS all-state selection for football was a joke.

SoonerinSouthlake
7/3/2008, 02:29 PM
Who was the knucklehead manager that carried the "loaded" tennis racket around. Jim Cornett?

Wrestlers managed by Jim Cornette
Johnny Ace
Briscoe Brothers
Dennis Condrey
Jimmy Del Ray
Shane Douglas
Bobby Eaton
Bobby Fulton
Robert Gibson
Owen Hart
Crusher Broomfield
Jeff Jarrett
Stan Lane
Mantaur
Sherri Martel
Matt Morgan
Ricky Morton
Ron Powers
Tom Prichard
Big Bubba Rogers
Tommy Rogers
The British Bulldog
Al Snow
Unabomb
Vader
Yokozuna
Mark Henry
Dutch Mantel
Ken Wayne
Danny Davis
Bombastic Bob
Bodacious Bart
"Scrap Iron" Adam Pearce
"King" Carl Fergie
Norman Fredrick Charles the III

[edit] Awards and accomplishments
Pro Wrestling Illustrated
PWI Manager of the Year (1985)
PWI Manager of the Year (1993)
PWI Manager of the Year (1995)
Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards
Manager of the Year (1984)
Manager of the Year (1985)
Manager of the Year (1986)
Manager of the Year (1987)
Manager of the Year (1988)
Manager of the Year (1989)
Manager of the Year (1990)
Manager of the Year (1992)
Manager of the Year (1993)
Manager of the Year (1994)
Manager of the Year (1995)
Manager of the Year (1996)
Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame (Class 0f 1996)
Best Non-wrestler (2006)

BarryBnds
7/3/2008, 02:35 PM

Yes Rock and Flash turned out to be The Ultimate Warrior and Sting.

stoopified
7/3/2008, 03:10 PM
All this wrasslin' blather has WHAT to with Greatest Mult-sport athlete at OU?

Bone
7/3/2008, 03:29 PM
I think it's pretty much decided at this point that Churchill was the man.

SoonerinSouthlake
7/4/2008, 12:03 AM
All this wrasslin' blather has WHAT to with Greatest Mult-sport athlete at OU?

Dr Death has been a name mentioned several times....did you by any chance catch him in the low point of his athletic carreer wearing a wrastlin uni, and an OU football helmet on Saturday Night wrestling.......we digress.....sorry