PDA

View Full Version : Herman Mitchell's murderer convicted

Rhino
6/27/2008, 01:02 PM
Hopefully, this will give the Mitchell family some closure.

June 26, 2008, 5:56PM
Man convicted of murder in Westfield player's death (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5858767.html)
By DALE LEZON

A Houston man was convicted of murder Thursday in the shooting death of a high school football star last year.

Emile "Rusty" Anthony Lewis, 20, showed little emotion as state District Judge Mike Anderson announced the jury's verdict.

He faces up to life in prison.

The eight-man, four-woman jury heard opening statements in the trial's punishment phase late Thursday and are expected to hear closing arguments this morning. Then jurors will begin deliberating Lewis' fate.

Law enforcement officials said that Lewis shot and killed Herman Mitchell, 17, a first-team, all-district selection with Spring Independent School District's Westfield Mustangs, Aug. 24, 2007, in the parking lot of the northwest Harris County apartment complex where the two lived.

Lewis has denied being involved in Mitchell's death.

Officials said the pair had argued and had a fist fight earlier in the day before the shooting. Mitchell, a senior who had planned to play at the University of Oklahoma (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1931384&postcount=15), had been on his way to a football scrimmage with three teammates when the fight apparently erupted.

After the fight, Lewis went to his apartment and then returned to the parking lot with his mother, a friend and a rifle, prosecutors said. He forced Mitchell into the driver's seat of a teammate's sports utility vehicle and then shot him five times.

Lewis, a New Orleans native who moved to Houston after Hurricane Katrina, said he and Mitchell had not had a fist fight. Yet his right eye was swollen and beginning to blacken when he was arrested, police said.

The pair had a long-standing feud, police said, about the ownership of a tan-and-white pit bull, which at the time of the shooting was in Lewis' possession.

Curly Bill
6/27/2008, 01:05 PM
...returned to the parking lot with his mother, a friend and a rifle????

I can see the friend and rifle, but this losers mother went with him???

soonerfan28
6/27/2008, 01:09 PM
How much time will she get?

TheHumanAlphabet
6/27/2008, 10:34 PM
The Chronicle reported he got 99 years wth parole after 30. Here's the link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5860524.html).

Another damn Katrina NOLA good for nothing in Houston. Thanks New Orleans!

goingoneight
6/27/2008, 11:08 PM
Because he's likely to live to be 120 years old.

RIP HM.

Soonermagik
6/29/2008, 11:08 AM
...returned to the parking lot with his mother, a friend and a rifle????

I can see the friend and rifle, but this losers mother went with him???

I was thinking the same thing!!! :eek:

Flagstaffsooner
6/29/2008, 11:32 AM
The Chronicle reported he got 99 years wth parole after 30. Here's the link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5860524.html).

Another damn Katrina NOLA good for nothing in Houston. Thanks New Orleans!
Ahem, Houston didnt have the classiest bunch of people before Katrina.

stoopified
6/29/2008, 03:43 PM
RIP Herman,your killer has been judged and convicted.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/30/2008, 03:20 AM

No, but we got a good portion of the dregs of NOLA society and a good 20% increase in certain crime statistics and increase in certain parts of the city where said Katrina refugees were concentrated in relocation do seem to show causality. Westfield high was one of those areas...

OUDoc
6/30/2008, 08:05 AM
Good. But the little POS doesn't deserve the bed and meals the taxpayers have to buy for him.

Speer
6/30/2008, 10:43 AM
Ahhh yes, another dig on my fair city and its residents....from a fellow Sooner no less. Fortunately, I'm a Sooner behind enemy lines so I have thick skin.

But just in case you're interested, the MURDER rate in Houston went up 25% in the 9 months following Katrina. This does not include other violent crimes. Very little of this violent crime was discussed in the national media, not to mention Houston's city government did it's best to play down these facts. Hard to believe from a city that bore the brunt of Katrina's displaced yet lacks class.

Unfortunately none of this discussion will bring back Mr Mitchell. Glad to hear the bad guy will serve time.

oudivesherpa
6/30/2008, 03:26 PM

As a OU graduate living in Houston, I have to disagree, Houston may not be the safetest place to live, but it's not New Orleans or even DC, but for a major city it's a great place to live and work. Plus, there's no State Income Tax. While property tax is high, if you live in a conservately priced home you can make a great savings versus living in a state that has a state income tax.

Houston:

Pluses:
Economic Growth
Low unemployment
Average crime rate for a major city
Low cost of living-Low taxes
Great weather (if you like hot & humid).
Major Airport serving over 20 countries with non-stop service.

Minuses:

500 miles from Norman & OU Football!