PDA

View Full Version : Silly, silly whorns

Flagstaffsooner
6/26/2008, 02:22 PM
Ricky's coming home to partay! (http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=5622148&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=)
When in austin... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWdJ_dvdGjs)
Share with us, Ricky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWWx_5UE2kw&feature=related)

GreaterState
6/26/2008, 05:24 PM
Someone's clearly still smarting from the 360-some yards he rolled on them in '97-'98

olevetonahill
6/26/2008, 06:26 PM
Yay Flag
Ive Missed these threads . Keep em up .

Curly Bill
6/26/2008, 06:34 PM
Someone's clearly still smarting from the 360-some yards he rolled on them in '97-'98

Well, he does like to roll stuff.

JLEW1818
6/26/2008, 10:09 PM
Take away Vince Young and the Horns have sucked this entire decade. People can't say that about Oklahoma only having a single player who won it all. WE have a freaking army.

Sooner_09
6/26/2008, 10:16 PM
Even Young only won 1 game against us.

JLEW1818
6/26/2008, 10:17 PM
Thats true, can somebody please find me the clip where Vince is trying to score against us and somebody knocks the complete hell out of him. ...

Sooner_09
6/26/2008, 10:24 PM
2003 OU-tx highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHB7mcs1ykw)

JLEW1818
6/26/2008, 10:30 PM
Beating Texas isn't the end-all for us. We're after championships here. - Bobby Stoops

Texas hopes to win, Oklahoma expects to win.

will the season please hurry.

Take a look at that video when it is at 45 seconds.

Ardmore_Sooner
6/26/2008, 10:48 PM
2003 OU-tx highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHB7mcs1ykw)

Thank you for making my night!

Sooner_09
6/26/2008, 10:52 PM
Make it Stop! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a56qCL8tM7U)

UTgolfer
6/27/2008, 09:37 AM
Even Young only won 1 game against us.

Which is exactly the same record Peterson had against UT.

Sooner_09
6/27/2008, 09:50 AM
True, but he really went 1-1 instead of 1-2

RedstickSooner
6/27/2008, 10:05 AM

Teams played football in '97 and '98?

Pretty sure it was suspended throughout most of the '90s.

Ardmore_Sooner
6/27/2008, 10:17 AM

Which is still one more than TF Roy Williams can say.:D

UTgolfer
6/27/2008, 10:49 AM
True, but he really went 1-1 instead of 1-2

Should have stopped at "True"

47straight
6/27/2008, 11:35 AM
Should have stopped at "True"

Should have stayed on hornfans/orangebloods.

JLEW1818
6/27/2008, 01:12 PM

Peterson was also a RB not a QB, So how can you even compare wins and losses? Why don't you go play with Chris Sims and his daddy.

Animal Mother
7/2/2008, 02:18 PM
Peterson was also a RB not a QB, So how can you even compare wins and losses? Why don't you go play with Chris Sims and his daddy.

They won't let him play. It's a family thing with the Simms'. NO REACH AROUNDS!!!

TexasLidig8r
7/3/2008, 08:33 AM
Take away Vince Young and the Horns have sucked this entire decade. People can't say that about Oklahoma only having a single player who won it all. WE have a freaking army.

uh.. yeah.. the most wins over the course of the last 10 years really proves that.. oh.. and that win over OU the year after Vince left... that proves it too.. and of course, Vince played every position on the offensive line and every position on defense too... oh.. and Vince won those two Thorpe Awards this decade... :rolleyes:

Of course, the next national championship Visor Boy wins with his own players alone will be the FIRST national championship Visor Boy wins with his own players alone.

Try having your freaking army win a bowl game for a change.

OU-HSV
7/3/2008, 09:09 AM
Of course, the next national championship Visor Boy wins with his own players alone will be the FIRST national championship Visor Boy wins with his own players alone.

Seriously lid, you're going to come on here and try to downplay our 2000 National Championship team?

It's amazing enough that Stoops found winning success by shifting our players into more fitting positions for their abilities, whereas Blake obviously didn't know exactly where some of the kids should play on the field. Or even who to use at QB.

But then to win the title a year after taking over a team that was a mess under Blake...come on, you have no real argument here.

Also, it's factual that Josh Heupel (among other players who helped us win that title), was recruited in the Stoops era.... Just thought I'd mention that since this little argument between you and jlew started in regards to a quarterback.

And yes it would be excellent to win bowl games, I'm not going to argue that one. But Stoops has obviously done a terrific job of recruiting the right players to get into the position to get to the big bowls including the national championship games.
I just hope they can figure out what to do to win them....and win them very soon.

Speer
7/3/2008, 09:18 AM

Well said Lid, well said.....I think....maybe not.

47straight
7/3/2008, 09:43 AM
I think Lid is just trying to get the pot stirred. Usually he does a better job. Closer to season he won't be phoning it in like this.

But I'll play along. I'd say winning with some of Blake's players on the squad makes the 2000 NC MORE impressive. To bring anyone along back from that kind of wretched team mentality is sheer brilliance.

If Claps-a-lot Brown had taken over the team in 1999 instead of Stoops, he'd have started Ahmed Kabba for another three years out of some sort of misplaced loyalty.

OU-HSV
7/3/2008, 09:49 AM
I think Lid is just trying to get the pot stirred. Usually he does a better job. Closer to season he won't be phoning it in like this.

But I'll play along. I'd say winning with some of Blake's players on the squad makes the 2000 NC MORE impressive. To bring anyone along back from that kind of wretched team mentality is sheer brilliance.

Exactly my above point

TexasLidig8r
7/3/2008, 10:03 AM

True dat. I'm bored.. it is, without question, the absolute WORST time of the year for organized sports (no football, no basketball, no hockey) with only an endless stream of boring, very forgettable, inane basebore games to occupy space.

Dayum when is football season?

colleyvillesooner
7/3/2008, 10:08 AM
Speaking of lucking into a NC, didn't you miss the mandatory 10:00 fellating session on that VY idol you have in your house?

:D

Lott's Bandana
7/3/2008, 10:13 AM
Speaking of lucking into a NC, didn't you miss the mandatory 10:00 fellating session on that VY idol you have in your house?

CVS, he had 3 minutes! VY only needs 9 seconds, remember?

(take that, suc)

OU-HSV
7/3/2008, 10:14 AM
True dat. I'm bored.. it is, without question, the absolute WORST time of the year for organized sports (no football, no basketball, no hockey) with only an endless stream of boring, very forgettable, inane basebore games to occupy space.

well at least we can agree on this :D

TexasLidig8r
7/3/2008, 10:19 AM

nah.. was able to do that and get back to the office. My man love for Vince knows no bounds.

OU-HSV
7/3/2008, 10:21 AM
nah.. was able to do that and get back to the office. I have Vince bound to my bedposts at home.

:eek:

BillyBall
7/3/2008, 10:24 AM
What was Cedric Bensons record against OU?

Lott's Bandana
7/3/2008, 10:31 AM
nah.. was able to do that and get back to the office. Told Vince and Chrissy they could play NCAA '05 on teh XBox... after they found the cap to the lube.

:P

47straight
7/3/2008, 10:51 AM

That endless stream of baseball is even more of a vast, treeless vista when you consider we're not even to the All-Star break yet!

soonerinabilene
7/3/2008, 12:27 PM
uh.. yeah.. the most wins over the course of the last 10 years really proves that.. oh.. and that win over OU the year after Vince left... that proves it too.. and of course, Vince played every position on the offensive line and every position on defense too... oh.. and Vince won those two Thorpe Awards this decade... :rolleyes:

Sorry Lid, I cant see you over all these Big 12 Championship trophies that are starting to pile up. Can you stand on your tippee toes when you speak, please.;)

TexasLidig8r
7/3/2008, 03:40 PM
Sorry Lid, I cant see you over all these Big 12 Championship trophies that are starting to pile up. Can you stand on your tippee toes when you speak, please.;)

Maybe you can't see me behind all of these Bowl Winner Trophies! :D

Dio
7/3/2008, 04:34 PM

Speaking of which, have you booked your flight to San Diego yet? :D

soonerfan28
7/3/2008, 06:13 PM

The only team you can compare in bowl games to us is USC. Other then that you ain't got sh**. When you play LSU USC and WV let me know and you can compare bowl games until then I'll give you 2005.

Charla
7/3/2008, 06:56 PM
The only record Cedric has is a police record. I can understand how a Lawyer would be partial to the hornies

JLEW1818
7/3/2008, 09:35 PM
TxLid

Once ya'll start playing in JANUARY consistently, come talk to us. Otherwise enjoy the holiday bowl, shoot maybe the Alamo bowl this year.

Crimson Kid
7/3/2008, 11:23 PM

First time i have agreed with a horn in awhile lol.

SoonerinSouthlake
7/3/2008, 11:55 PM

Believe that University of North Texas has a collection of "Bowl Winner Trophies" as well from the 90's

Nice company....enjoy

Hornlaw
7/4/2008, 12:30 AM
The only team you can compare in bowl games to us is USC. Other then that you ain't got sh**. When you play LSU USC and WV let me know and you can compare bowl games until then I'll give you 2005.

Well, how should I respond? How 'bout this:

January1, 2003 Texas defeats LSU 35-20 (M. Brown v. N. Saban).
January 4, 2006 Texas defeats USC 41-38 (M. Brown v. P. Carroll).
When, and if, the Horns play the mighty WVU Mountaineers (or the bitch-slapping BSU Bronco's) we will defeat them as well.

or this:

Mack: 2 BCS Bowls
Stoops: 6 BCS Bowls

Nice way of saying:
Mack 2-0
Stoops 2-4

Is adding four losses really more impressive?

or this:

What we've learned from OU's bowl struggles is that if you give a coach four weeks to prepare against Stoops, in a game between 2 evenly matched teams, on a neutral field, there is a very good chance OU loses.

JLEW1818
7/4/2008, 01:56 AM
Oklahoma vs Texas
6-2 head to head with you horns this decade.
7-4 national championships
4-2 The Heisman Trophy
1 shut out against yall this decade
oh ya and the number 1 football program in the modern era.

what the horns have, an idiot step son of uncle mack. A "heisman trophy pot head, (who I think is literally gay honestly). 2 consecutive losses to horse sh*t a&m. A guy who has his last name tattooed on his back like a jersey name (Vincent young). Chris Simms ????? enough said. And its the gayest city in the state of Texas, literally.

Lott's Bandana
7/4/2008, 12:06 PM
What we've learned from YOUR RRS struggles are that if you give a coach a year to prepare against Stoops, in a game between 2 evenly matched teams(?), on a neutral field, Whorns lose.

Fixed.

TexasLidig8r
7/7/2008, 10:30 AM

Uh.. let's see... we beat LSU and the team regarded as the best team in the history of God.. USC. (Good Lord, what their 2005 offense would have done to your defense!)..

As for WVU.. let's see,.. their head coach was gone and they came out of the softest conference in the US... oh.. that was a toughie. :rolleyes:

And. how do you compare your bowl records to USC? They WIN their bowl games.. well.. except when they play Texas.

Your last 4 BCS games, you're giving up an AVERAGE of 41.8 points a game!

JLEW1818
7/7/2008, 11:01 AM
Uh.. let's see... we beat LSU and the team regarded as the best team in the history of God.. USC. (Good Lord, what their 2005 offense would have done to your defense!)..

As for WVU.. let's see,.. their head coach was gone and they came out of the softest conference in the US... oh.. that was a toughie. :rolleyes:

And. how do you compare your bowl records to USC? They WIN their bowl games.. well.. except when they play Texas.

Your last 4 BCS games, you're giving up an AVERAGE of 41.8 points a game!

USC was better when we played them.

TexasLidig8r
7/7/2008, 11:22 AM
USC was better when we played them.

Defense yes.
Offense no.

JLEW1818
7/7/2008, 11:35 AM
Ya'll might have a better bowl record, but look who has played better teams. If we played in the Holiday bowl every year we would run the table also. Can you answer my question on why we have beat ya'll 6 out of 8 times this decade. Honestly I want you to answer the question. Is it bad coaching ? bad recruiting? or do we just expect to win and ya'll hope to win?

Octavian
7/7/2008, 11:49 AM
Hornlaw: yes, 4 more BCS appearances really is more impressive.

Texas has 1 Big XII title in 10 years under Mack.

Oklahoma has 5 Big XII titles in 9 years under Stoops.

The 2-0 BCS record for Mack is nice...but one of them required a great deal of Texas-style realpolitik to even get in the door. Texas has earned exactly one (1) automatic trip to the big stage. Under Stoops, OU has earned five (5).

If you look at the BCS results as if they occurred in their own universe independent of an entire season's worth of work....then you have a valid point. If you put a BCS appearance into the context that its a reward for an outstanding season...and you can apply basic mathematics skills....then we'll be happy to punch another ticket to the BCS while you enjoy the Alamo or San Diego or wherever it is you get sent this time.

TexasLidig8r
7/7/2008, 12:17 PM
Ya'll might have a better bowl record, but look who has played better teams. If we played in the Holiday bowl every year we would run the table also. Can you answer my question on why we have beat ya'll 6 out of 8 times this decade. Honestly I want you to answer the question. Is it bad coaching ? bad recruiting? or do we just expect to win and ya'll hope to win?

Tangibles

1. You have generally had better recruiting classes which has resulted in slightly better talent.

2. For the most part, your coach has prepared OU extremely well for that game. There has been exceptions of course (for example, a Stoops coached team lost by the biggest margin an OU team has lost to a Texas team).

Historical context

The Texas - OU game has been played in cycles so many times in its history. There will be some decades where OU wins 6 or 7 out of 10. Some decades will have Texas winning 7 out of 10. Look at the history.

Context

If you look at coaches alone, how do you explain that Fred Akers had a winning record against "King Barry?" Was Akers a better coach than Switzer? Not many people would argue that.

Subjective points

Better teams? Boise? WVU? Hardly. Against Boise, you simply got outcoached. Against WVU.. who the hell knows what happened, but WVU was hardly a world beater.

In every game in which there is not a significant difference in talent, there will be a few plays that changes the outcome. Last year, if J. Charles doesn't lay the ball down on the 5 yard line at the start of the 3rd Quarter, who wins?

If the tired, contrived cliche, "You hope to win, we expect to win" was applicable, Texas would not own the series lead by such a large margin.

Having said all that, in this year's game, there should be no doubt that OU should win. Your entire offensive line is back with a record setting quarterback. You have speed and depth at running back and good possession receivers. Your TE is salty. On offense, you should be a machine.

Your defense will be vulnerable to speed and a strong passing attack, but your interior line is very good and you appear to have more speed in the defensive backfield.

Texas' offense has question marks from, will there be consistent offensive line play (after the line was decimated by injuries last year) and who will be the playmaker this year?

On defense, the defensive backfield last year was wretched and the coaching even worse. A new DC was brought in, our DE are a strength and linebacking will be solid.

In short, OU should win by 14.. but.. will you?

Speer
7/7/2008, 12:20 PM
Defense yes.
Offense no.

Nope. UT's defense was attrocious in the Rose bowl. VY was the best thing you had for a defense that night, and actually for the entire season.

TexasLidig8r
7/7/2008, 03:17 PM
Nope. UT's defense was attrocious in the Rose bowl. VY was the best thing you had for a defense that night, and actually for the entire season.

Yeah.. we almost gave up as many points that night as your defense has averaged giving up in your last 4 BCS bowls.

That Vince Young... all those Thorpe Awards he won.. and NO ONE off that defense was drafted and is playing in the pros.. well...

except for Aaron Ross.. oh.. and Cedric Griffin.. oh.. and Michael Griffin.. oh. .and Tarell Brown.. uh.. and Michael Huff.. oh... and uh... Frank Okam.. and Brian Robison... and uh.. Tim Crowder... and Rodrique Wright..

:rolleyes:

JLEW1818
7/7/2008, 03:20 PM
Yes we lost to WV but they were extremely underrated. Remember they were 1 game away from being in the National title game. When its all said and done Bob Stoops is a better coach the Mack Brown, unanimously. Ya'll have choked the last 2 season losing to A&M. Even during the 2006-2007 season when ya'll beat us ya'll still choked a big one and didn't even make it to the conference title game.
Oh and you like to talk about Stoops coaching a "team lost by the biggest margin an OU team has lost to a Texas team)." What about your boy Mack Brown getting shut out . 12 -0. I think that is worse then getting the score 45-12.

Just a Reminder Recent Scores
Oklahoma 63 - Texas 14

Oklahoma 14 - Texas 3 ( does Simms throwing hand still hurt?)

Oklahoma 35 - Texas 24

Oklahoma 65 - Texas 13 ( does not compare to 2005)

Oklahoma 12 - Texas 0, (thats spelled ZERO)

Texas 45 - Oklahoma 12

Texas 28 - Oklahoma 10 (the year ya'll choked and let us in to the big 12 championship)

Oklahoma 28 - Texas 21

Now for the math

Oklahoma 239 - Texas 148

KingDavid
7/7/2008, 03:52 PM
Against WVU.. who the hell knows what happened, but WVU was hardly a world beater.

Very simple what happened. We were missing five all Big XII players and six total starters:

Auston English (played a couple of downs, only)
Demarcus Granger
Reggie Smith
Lendy Holmes

Malcom Kelly
Demarco Murray

There's not a team in the nation that wins that game under similar circumstances, without playing a near-perfect game and getting some lucky breaks. 1 to 10 odds at best.

Take even Texas' NC team and now subtract your two biggest playmakers on offense:

1. Limas Sweed
2. Jamaal Charles or Ramonce Taylor
(Note, I left VY just to be fair. Take him out, and the conversation ends right there.)

Now take away 3 of your top 4 defenders, and another solid starter to boot.

1. Frank Okam
2. Tim Crowder
3. Aaron Ross
4. Terrell Brown

How do your like your odds defending WVU's speed without those players?? Be honest. Even if you still like your chances (I won't fault you for that - that's what being a fan is all about), objectively, would you be all that surprised if you lost? Of course not.

So . . . that's what happened with West Virginia. It's not that big of a mystery, really.

JLEW1818
7/7/2008, 03:59 PM
Very nicely put. Take away Vince Young from the start of the season with that team and their in the holiday bowl again. He won that season single handedly.

TexasLidig8r
7/7/2008, 05:20 PM
Very nicely put. Take away Vince Young from the start of the season with that team and their in the holiday bowl again. He won that season single handedly.

Take away Vince Young? That is a discussion that is tantamount to saying...

Other than your husband being shot, how did you like the play Mrs. Lincoln?
Other than the two atomic bombs, how did the Second World War work out for you Japan?
Other than that little drive past the School Book Depository, how did you like Dallas Mr. Kennedy?

Unlike you, pro scouts didn't discount the Texas defense, or offensive line, or offensive playmakers and decided to draft them as well.

As for Stoops being a better coach, the fact of the matter is:

Stoops - 1 MNC (partially with Blake's recruits)
Mack - 1 MNC (with all of Mack's recruits)

Stoops - 2 BCS bowl wins (one with Blake's recruits)
Mack - 2 BCS bowl wins (all with Mack's recruits)

Do I think that Mack needs to continue to improve? Oh hell yes. Has Mack made horrendous mistakes in the past? Oh hell yes. I just won't kiss his arse and think he hung the moon like you people do with Stoops and "King" Barry.

TexasLidig8r
7/7/2008, 05:23 PM
How do your like your odds defending WVU's speed without those players?? Be honest. Even if you still like your chances (I won't fault you for that - that's what being a fan is all about), objectively, would you be all that surprised if you lost? Of course not.

So . . . that's what happened with West Virginia. It's not that big of a mystery, really.

Ya know King.. if I had come up with those things, the people on this site would be going, "TEXECUSES... TEXECUSES" and making t-shirts.

JLEW1818
7/7/2008, 05:28 PM
Take away Vince Young? That is a discussion that is tantamount to saying...

Other than your husband being shot, how did you like the play Mrs. Lincoln?
Other than the two atomic bombs, how did the Second World War work out for you Japan?
Other than that little drive past the School Book Depository, how did you like Dallas Mr. Kennedy?

Unlike you, pro scouts didn't discount the Texas defense, or offensive line, or offensive playmakers and decided to draft them as well.

As for Stoops being a better coach, the fact of the matter is:

Stoops - 1 MNC (partially with Blake's recruits)
Mack - 1 MNC (with all of Mack's recruits)

Stoops - 2 BCS bowl wins (one with Blake's recruits)
Mack - 2 BCS bowl wins (all with Mack's recruits)

Do I think that Mack needs to continue to improve? Oh hell yes. Has Mack made horrendous mistakes in the past? Oh hell yes. I just won't kiss his arse and think he hung the moon like you people do with Stoops and "King" Barry.

Look at Oklahoma's record the year before we won the title. So those recruits won it all by them self the next year? Look at Adrian Peterson the biggest recruit EVER IN THE STATE OF TEXAS. I don't get your debate at all?

Are you saying Texas is better this decade? Have better coaching ? Better Recruiting? I"m just trying to figure it out? What about the head to head games with Ya'll, did Blake win all of those games too this decade? fag

soonerinabilene
7/7/2008, 05:29 PM
Gawd I hate the offseason. Lid, you really should market your noob bait. It hooks them. every. time.

JLEW1818
7/7/2008, 05:38 PM
Texas has only won the big 12 championship once, in the brown stoops era. All I'm saying is ya'lls rose bowl appearance was pure luck of falling into the spot, maybe mack is good at sucking more then just on the field. Idk.

Dr. Jelly Finger
7/7/2008, 05:40 PM
or this:

What we've learned from OU's bowl struggles is that if you give a coach four weeks to prepare against Stoops, in a game between 2 evenly matched teams, on a neutral field, there is a very good chance OU loses.

Why then does it only take Bob 6 days to beat Mack's tooth in? I guess Mack needs another 3 weeks to figure it out. Maybe he should start the preparation for the Sooners on 8/1 so he can get the 4 weeks necessary to win.

TexasLidig8r
7/7/2008, 05:45 PM
Gawd I hate the offseason. Lid, you really should market your noob bait. It hooks them. every. time.

lol.. sometimes it's too easy.

He's bound to break into the personal insults and the tired, usual, "Texas sucks" any second now. :D

Fraggle145
7/7/2008, 06:01 PM
lol.. sometimes it's too easy.

He's bound to break into the personal insults and the tired, usual, "Texas sucks" any second now. :D

well it does... just sayin ;)

Speer
7/7/2008, 06:20 PM
Yeah.. we almost gave up as many points that night as your defense has averaged giving up in your last 4 BCS bowls.

That Vince Young... all those Thorpe Awards he won.. and NO ONE off that defense was drafted and is playing in the pros.. well...

except for Aaron Ross.. oh.. and Cedric Griffin.. oh.. and Michael Griffin.. oh. .and Tarell Brown.. uh.. and Michael Huff.. oh... and uh... Frank Okam.. and Brian Robison... and uh.. Tim Crowder... and Rodrique Wright..

:rolleyes:

Dude...your defense was good, but VY's ability on offense made them look that much better. He could make the big play to keep a drive alive, run the ball to control the clock, and score just about anytime. He kept the defense off of the field and gave them huge leads so they could pin their ears back and get after it.

UT's D gave up over 550 yards to USC (more than OU the previous year by the way) and made ONE 4th down stop to put the game in VY's hands. Your roll call of future NFL players got worked over in the Rose Bowl that night.

In case you're curious, UT is giving up 37.5 points per game in its 2 BCS game wins while OU gives up 8 points per game in its BCS wins.

I'm for damn sure not happy about losing any bowl game much less a BCS game, but OU been BCS bowling 3 times more often than UT. I can definitely live with that.

JLEW1818
7/7/2008, 07:09 PM
Ditto

KingDavid
7/25/2008, 10:58 PM
Ya know King.. if I had come up with those things, the people on this site would be going, "TEXECUSES... TEXECUSES" and making t-shirts.

. . . which would say absolutely nothing about the legitimacy of the actual argument. Kind of like your post with regard to mine.

Speak to the case or shut yer yapper.

colleyvillesooner
7/27/2008, 08:32 AM
heh