PDA

View Full Version : This woman is dumb.

Rhino
6/26/2008, 12:08 PM
From CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/worklife/06/26/lw.men.v.women.career/index.html?iref=mpstoryview):

After Dayna Steele, 48, published her first book in March and began making the media rounds, she found herself dealing with subtle power plays at home.

"I have tried very hard to schedule around my husband's full-time job and keep him posted on my schedule, confirming dates before I book them," says Steele, a former radio host living in Seabrook, Texas. "Then, he started scheduling things over mine without telling me.

"It turned into a battle when I first tried to point out to him what he was doing -- trivializing my new career after promising to support it because he had a 'more important' job."

Steele knows her husband's salary and benefits are important but says her career deserves respect, too. "We're not quite all the way there, but we're making some progress," she says. Steele's husband, Charles Justiz, 55, a NASA research pilot, says he does his best to show he values his wife's career, but it can be challenging, especially with two children. "We've had some collisions," he admits. "I can't call NASA and say, 'Excuse me, I can't come in because my wife has a book signing.'"

But they're both working on being more flexible, he says. "I love my wife, and the old saying is true: 'If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.'"

olevetonahill
6/26/2008, 12:11 PM
Bitches Man Bitches :mad:

Bone
6/26/2008, 12:13 PM
I'm gonna have to agree here.

Sooner98
6/26/2008, 12:22 PM
How dare you miss my book signing to go to your little NASA thing! You're sleeping on the couch tonight!!!

bri
6/26/2008, 12:26 PM
Only women call sh*t like this "subtle power plays". Guys call it "scheduling".

How dare you undermine my book club with your research career! Stop blocking my full actualization with your stupid test flights!

Gah.

soonerboomer93
6/26/2008, 12:29 PM
bitches be crazy...

bri
6/26/2008, 12:34 PM
Oh, and even better; she's some worthless bullsh*t "self-help" author/speaker. So not only does she try and make her husband look like an ******* for having a real, established career that benefits everyone, she'll probably work it into her next useless book and make it part of her PowerPoint presentation the next time she fleeces a group into booking her to "inspire" the masses.

Epic gah.

Penguin
6/26/2008, 12:35 PM
This is newsworthy enough to be on CNN?

M
6/26/2008, 12:36 PM
As someone who spent several years with a know-it-all *** of an engineer, their problems go a lot deeper than scheduling.

sooner_born_1960
6/26/2008, 12:36 PM

It's in their "Living" section. Not really news or anything.

soonerboomer93
6/26/2008, 12:38 PM
As someone who spent several years with a know-it-all *** of an engineer, their problems go a lot deeper than scheduling.

:pop:

KC//CRIMSON
6/26/2008, 12:40 PM
Space Sex!

SoonerInKCMO
6/26/2008, 12:47 PM

"Their" as in this couple, or engineers in general? :confused:

dolemitesooner
6/26/2008, 12:59 PM
Space Sex!

Better

Make up Space Sex:D

Hot Rod
6/26/2008, 01:09 PM
Dayna was named one of the "35 People Who Inspire Us" in the May 2008 Best of America Special Issue of Reader's Digest.

It's a good thing that came out before this article!

soonerinabilene
6/26/2008, 01:32 PM

well, in their defense, its not like the supreme court is making landmark decisions this week or anything like that. Oh, wait...

badger
6/26/2008, 01:45 PM
Ok, people that don't have boobs, let me give it to you frankly - men have always had their careers come first and women have always had their aspirations come second. It's history, it's tradition, it's the way the world is.

The dude's aspiration was to work for NASA and it's worked out well for him. The chick's aspiration was to become an author. Now, do pray tell, how can you be equal partners in a relationship without having the same opportunities to fulfill your dreams?

Relationships are all about give-and-take. Before you go and call her a... what was it again?

bitches be crazy...
Ok, then, "a crazy bitch," take into consideration how long she's probably put her own dream on hold for the sake of her husband's career and now their children?

My guess is also, like M said earlier, that they probably have greater issues to deal with than scheduling conflicts. I'm sure that they can work this out, but perhaps this woman does not want to "work it out" or whatever. Maybe she just needed to escape from the house life and did it through a writing career.

Ok, off the femmy soapbox, and back to normalcy now :D

So, where were we? Oh, yes! Is it football season yet? Is it football season yet? Is it football season yet?

;)

So, in defense of working women out there, please don't jump to conclusions that having a career is "dumb" or "crazy" or makes you a "bitch."

SoonerInKCMO
6/26/2008, 01:51 PM
So, in defense of working women out there, please don't jump to conclusions that having a career is "dumb" or "crazy" or makes you a "bitch."

I think it's the idea she seems to have that her husband can change NASA's schedule to accomodate her book tour is what is being considered dumb and crazy; not that she has a career.

badger
6/26/2008, 01:53 PM
I think it's the idea she seems to have that her husband can change NASA's schedule to accomodate her book tour is what is being considered dumb and crazy; not that she has a career.

Ok, I'm cool with that. It just seemed like some of the criticism stemmed from the fact that she was pursuing her career.:)

M
6/26/2008, 01:58 PM

Thank you, Badger.

sooner_born_1960
6/26/2008, 02:03 PM
I think any reasonable person would understand that as the point of this thread. ;)

Frozen Sooner
6/26/2008, 02:04 PM
I think any reasonable person would understand that as the point of this thread. ;)

Must be that time of the month.

*ducks*

yermom
6/26/2008, 02:06 PM
i'm sure he doesn't need her to come along on his test flights, she can't handle some book signing by herself?

yermom
6/26/2008, 02:07 PM

or as Baj said, "without boobs"

;)

Paperclip
6/26/2008, 02:08 PM
Ok, people that don't have boobs,

Leaves me out. :(

Viking Kitten
6/26/2008, 02:10 PM
i'm sure he doesn't need her to come along on his test flights, she can't handle some book signing by herself?

Beat me to it.

The article mentioned children, but since they are 55 and 48, I'm sure the kiddos are at least old enough to stay with a family friend every now and again. To be honest, this lady sounds a little whiny, and I'm all for women having fulfilling careers.

Rhino
6/26/2008, 02:11 PM
The point of this thread wasn't that hard to understand.

Then again, maybe it was.

sooner_born_1960
6/26/2008, 02:11 PM
I wear loose shirts.

Fugue
6/26/2008, 02:14 PM

Hey, don't underestimate us. :mad:

:D

Condescending Sooner
6/26/2008, 02:15 PM
Ok, people that don't have boobs, let me give it to you frankly - men have always had their careers come first and women have always had their aspirations come second. It's history, it's tradition, it's the way the world is.

And if a woman decides "I want to spend more time at home", and quit their job, who is expected to pick up the slack?

Scott D
6/26/2008, 02:18 PM
I'm sure all around the world, the housewives of test pilots are rallying behind her ;)

Paperclip
6/26/2008, 02:20 PM
And if a woman decides "I want to spend more time at home", and quit their job, who is expected to pick up the slack?

less attractive women?

Viking Kitten
6/26/2008, 02:20 PM

Well, when my dad made that decision, my mom was the one picked up the slack.

badger
6/26/2008, 02:26 PM
My point was that relationships are give and take. It seemed that the criticism was that the woman was taking without any giving, whereas it seemed that the guy was receiving a lot for many years of a rewarding career (aside from those dark Challenge years, eh?).

And Rhino, you had a very good thread :D I just didn't want the thread to steer in a not-good direction, which it seemed to be hinting of when I chimed in.

I am all about women empowerment and such, but women and men both need give and take when it comes to family, fiscal and career responsibilities.

And now, back to wondering how soon it is until football season starts again :D

SoonerInKCMO
6/26/2008, 02:33 PM

Thank you, Badger.

Wow. Did both of you honestly think that the guys in this thread were "jump(ing) to conclusions that having a career is "dumb" or "crazy""? Because that's certainly not the vibe I was getting.

sooner_born_1960
6/26/2008, 02:34 PM
I think Mike said it best. ;)

Condescending Sooner
6/26/2008, 02:40 PM

Sweet, can she have a talk with my wife? I have been thinking I need to spend more time at home, i.e. golf course.

Hamhock
6/26/2008, 02:50 PM
The chick's aspiration was to become an author.

imo, she should have thought about this before she threw pups.

LilSooner
6/26/2008, 02:59 PM
imo, she should have thought about this before she threw pups.

Dang it that is what I was gonna say!

Czar Soonerov
6/26/2008, 03:02 PM

Sweet! How soon can you pick up a second/third job?

Viking Kitten
6/26/2008, 03:25 PM
Sweet! How soon can you pick up a second/third job?

You skip your a** down to apply at NASA, then we'll talk.

"Ah yes, identification. I have my temporary driver's license - and - my astronaut application form... I didn't pass that though, I failed everything but the date of birth."

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper997/stills/613rfge1.jpg

bri
6/26/2008, 03:28 PM

The dude's aspiration was to work for NASA and it's worked out well for him. The chick's aspiration was to become an author. Now, do pray tell, how can you be equal partners in a relationship without having the same opportunities to fulfill your dreams?

Relationships are all about give-and-take. Before you go and call her a... what was it again?

Ok, then, "a crazy bitch," take into consideration how long she's probably put her own dream on hold for the sake of her husband's career and now their children?

My guess is also, like M said earlier, that they probably have greater issues to deal with than scheduling conflicts. I'm sure that they can work this out, but perhaps this woman does not want to "work it out" or whatever. Maybe she just needed to escape from the house life and did it through a writing career.

So, where were we? Oh, yes! Is it football season yet? Is it football season yet? Is it football season yet?

;)

My point was that relationships are give and take. It seemed that the criticism was that the woman was taking without any giving, whereas it seemed that the guy was receiving a lot for many years of a rewarding career (aside from those dark Challenge years, eh?).

And Rhino, you had a very good thread :D I just didn't want the thread to steer in a not-good direction, which it seemed to be hinting of when I chimed in.

I am all about women empowerment and such, but women and men both need give and take when it comes to family, fiscal and career responsibilities.

And now, back to wondering how soon it is until football season starts again :D

It's official: The internet is out of words now.

bri
6/26/2008, 03:30 PM

As long as there's no "You Must Be This Tall To Fly The Experimental Rockets" sign, he should be fine.

badger
6/26/2008, 04:15 PM

72 words per minute when I copy someone else's, 100 words per minute when I'm on caffeine and writing off the top of my head.

Words were said here that may have been interpreted in a feisty beyonce-like way and I do apologize to those I may have offended, but I'm just offering my two cents.

As a further token of my apologizes and for those that haven't seen my ALREADY APOLOGY at the LPGA board, here is a further token of gratitude...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-YwoP0thR1k&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-YwoP0thR1k&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

TopDawg
6/26/2008, 04:45 PM

Then again, maybe it was.

You should've found a way to emphasize the important points of the article to help direct the conversation.

NormanPride
6/26/2008, 05:17 PM
lol

GrapevineSooner
6/26/2008, 05:29 PM

You would think, considering she's a self-help author.

olevetonahill
6/26/2008, 05:49 PM

She do be windy !;) :D

Czar Soonerov
6/26/2008, 06:34 PM

Too many scheduling conflicts with all your book signings & whatnot.

SleestakSooner
6/26/2008, 09:40 PM
What do you bet this guy is first in line when they ask for volunteers for the first manned flight to mars?

bri
6/26/2008, 09:44 PM
F*ck Mars. If it would get me away from that mess once and for all, I'd volunteer for the first manned flight to the sun.

soonerboomer93
6/26/2008, 10:21 PM

;)

cliff notes version:

yes yes, bitches be crazy

soonerboomer93
6/26/2008, 10:23 PM
Wow. Did both of you honestly think that the guys in this thread were "jump(ing) to conclusions that having a career is "dumb" or "crazy""? Because that's certainly not the vibe I was getting.

maybe they thought today was

"serious posts only day"

Frozen Sooner
6/26/2008, 10:25 PM
I think that the major problem with this thread was the word "This" in the title.

SicEmBaylor
6/26/2008, 10:31 PM

;)

I believe now, as I always have, that women really shouldn't be working at all except in the established women-type careers (secretary, teacher, nurse, prostitute, etc.).

LilSooner
6/26/2008, 10:33 PM
I believe now, as I always have, that Sic Em really shouldn't procreate.

kplsthx

Blue
6/26/2008, 10:34 PM
I've been saying Badgers on meth or something lately. 900 word posts and all. :D Don't get me wrong, they're all informative and entertaining, unlike some of us. :D

Now to the issue. Maybe Hubbie read a few of Wifies rough drafts and figured out she was no Ann Rice or whatever. So whatever book signing he might have missed all he really missed was a few straglers and a frappachinno.

Viking Kitten
6/27/2008, 07:21 AM
I believe now, as I always have, that women really shouldn't be working at all except in the established women-type careers (secretary, teacher, nurse, prostitute, etc.).

So Sicem, which one of those will you be when you grow up?

Hamhock
6/27/2008, 08:27 AM

werd.

i just hired someone. seemed like she would work out great. oh, by the way, she's pregnant and will need at least 6 weeks off in 6 months. this kind of thing is a killer for small businesses.

GrapevineSooner
6/27/2008, 08:55 AM

I'm detecting a sense of sarcasm.

I mean, baptists don't really believe in prostitution, do they?

soonerboomer93
6/27/2008, 12:57 PM
So Sicem, which one of those will you be when you grow up?

sicem has spent like 40 years in college

he's a professional bum

he'll have to get a high end appliance box to live in though, because a sears appliance box will be beneath him...