PDA

View Full Version : Vatican Question?

Penguin
6/26/2008, 10:46 AM
Shouldn't it be in Jerusalem and not Rome?

Jimminy Crimson
6/26/2008, 11:43 AM
There are probably a handful of reasons, but one (a pretty major one) being:

In Matthew, Jesus told Peter "You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church." Well, the original basilica in Rome was built on what is pretty widely regarded as Peter's tomb.

I'm by no means a biblical scholar, but as a Catholic -- figured I should answer ya! :cool:

Bone
6/26/2008, 12:11 PM
who cares?

frankensooner
6/26/2008, 12:51 PM
Stampedin' Cattle?

Through the Vatican.

Kinky.

shaun4411
6/26/2008, 01:12 PM
not many catholics in jerusalem.

soonerinabilene
6/26/2008, 01:25 PM
another question: does the pope wear prada??? Apparently not.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25387737/?GT1=43001

VATICAN CITY - The devil may wear Prada — but the pope does not.

According to the Vatican newspaper L’Osservatore Romano, the bright red loafers that Pope Benedict XVI wears are not designed by the Milanese fashion house, as has long been rumored.

“Obviously the attribution was false,” the Vatican newspaper said in its Thursday’s editions.

Story continues below ↓
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Such rumors are inconsistent with the simple and somber man who, on the day of his election to the papacy, showed to the faithful gathered in St. Peter’s Square and to the whole world the sleeves of a modest black sweater,” it said.

Video

Pope in Prada?
June 26: The Vatican newspaper reports that Pope Benedict XVI does not wear red Prada loafers. Msnbc.com's Dara Brown has the story.
msnbc.com

Fashion scrutiny
Still, Benedict’s fashion sense has often drawn media attention.

Three years ago around Christmas, he showed up for his weekly public audience in St. Peter’s Square wearing a fur-trimmed stocking cap that could have passed for a Santa Claus hat. The hat, as it turned out, is a “camauro,” which dates back to the Middle Ages and figures in many papal portraits.

On a separate occasion, Benedict sported a sumptuous red velvet cape trimmed in ermine — another piece of traditional papal attire that had long been abandoned.

L’Osservatore Romano said the pope’s interest in clothes has nothing to do with fashion and everything to do with liturgy — what symbolism traditional garments can bring to the Christian liturgy.

“The pope, therefore, does not wear Prada, but Christ,” L’Osservatore said.

Hamhock
6/26/2008, 02:40 PM
There are probably a handful of reasons, but one (a pretty major one) being:

In Matthew, Jesus told Peter "You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church." Well, the original basilica in Rome was built on what is pretty widely regarded as Peter's tomb.

I'm by no means a biblical scholar, but as a Catholic -- figured I should answer ya! :cool:

It's a play on words. He's not saying you are Peter and upon you I'll build My church. You are Peter, Petros...Petros, small stone, and upon this Petra, rock bed, I will build My church. What rock bed? The rock bed of the reality of Christ. Simon Peter in verse 16, "Thou art the Christ the Son of the living God. And Jesus says, "Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood didn't reveal this to you, My Father who is in heaven. I say you are a small stone, but it's on the rock bed of who I am that I will build My church.

p.s. I stole the above from John MacArthur.