PDA

View Full Version : Charity

SicEmBaylor
6/26/2008, 02:25 AM
Why do people give charity money to foreigners???

Don't we have plenty of poor kids that need help in these United States?

olevetonahill
6/26/2008, 04:46 AM

Nope we Gots Food Stamps and FREE lunches. And all that shat !

StoopTroup
6/26/2008, 05:39 AM
I only give to those folks that stand next to the expressway extrances. ;)

olevetonahill
6/26/2008, 05:41 AM

I make Lots with My sign
Will F*** off fer Beer Money !:)

SoonerJack
6/26/2008, 07:43 AM
"Foreigners" are humans too, SicEm.

Jimminy Crimson
6/26/2008, 07:44 AM
"Foreigners" are humans too, SicEm.

Not if they're illegal. :texan:

olevetonahill
6/26/2008, 07:52 AM

What if WE be the Illegals tryin to give em Shat ?
LIke that Typhoon thingie In Mirrormar or whatever .
Im betting a Mil folks died in that crap Cause they Gov, didnt Want any one to help .

Jimminy Crimson
6/26/2008, 07:55 AM
What if WE be the Illegals tryin to give em Shat ?
LIke that Typhoon thingie In Mirrormar or whatever .
Im betting a Mil folks died in that crap Cause they Gov, didnt Want any one to help .

I think Burma was a better name for their country.

I know whatcha mean, though.

Hot Rod
6/26/2008, 08:24 AM

I was once saw two guys fighting over a corner one day. There was a guy in a wheelchair there first, and this other guy walked up and started to hold up his sign. The wheelchair dude, reached up as best he could, and took a swing at the guy. Made for some nice drama while sitting at the light.

olevetonahill
6/26/2008, 08:33 AM
I saw a Dude with a sign said " will work For Food "
1/2 a Block from a RESTURANT that had a sign Out sayin NOW HIRING
I yelled at the Old Boy and said Turn ur head .:D

olevetonahill
6/26/2008, 08:34 AM
I think Burma was a better name for their country.

I know whatcha mean, though.

Is that where the Burma Shave signs came from ?

soonerscuba
6/26/2008, 11:33 AM
I think you could make the argument that actual poverty doesn't exist in the United States given that it's damn near impossible to starve to death here. This certainly isn't the case in a lot more of the world than we would like to admit.

olevetonahill
6/26/2008, 11:36 AM
I think you could make the argument that actual poverty doesn't exist in the United States given that it's damn near impossible to starve to death here. This certainly isn't the case in a lot more of the world than we would like to admit.

What Im sayin
If ya go Hungry Its Cause you aint Hungry
:D

NormanPride
6/26/2008, 11:40 AM
Since the dollar is so weak now, why don't all the charitable nations in the EU take over for us? I mean, the Euro is worth so much they should bear the burden of financing the world's problems, right?

SoonerJack
6/26/2008, 11:43 AM

Illegals! Well THAT's a different story. Sicem, you gotta be more specific!

We sponsor a child in Colombia and I don't consider her a foreigner.

SoonerInKCMO
6/26/2008, 12:29 PM

It's good foreign relations. Walking the walk about being the best country in the world instead of just talking the talk helps lead people to respect us rather than resent us.

SoonerInKCMO
6/26/2008, 12:34 PM
For example: The Central Asia Institute (http://www.ikat.org/)

If we give money to an organization that builds schools in parts of the world where, previously, the only educational opportunities for children were at terrorist funded Madrassas, is that not money well spent for our own security?

soonerboomer93
6/26/2008, 12:34 PM

spend much time overseas?

in a second or third world country?

soonerscuba
6/26/2008, 12:39 PM
the only educational opportunities for children were at terrorist funded Madrassas
Like the one Obama runs? :eek:

SoonerInKCMO
6/26/2008, 12:42 PM
If you mean the one his Muslim father founded and he was taught to hate America in, then yes. :D

Bone
6/26/2008, 12:46 PM
Charity is often used by the person donating as a way to make him / her feel better about himself / herself. It's less about the recipient and more about the giver.

Blue
6/26/2008, 09:59 PM
Charity is often used by the person donating as a way to make him / her feel better about himself / herself. It's less about the recipient and more about the giver.

Cynical/Jaded much? Sheesh.;)

Blue
6/26/2008, 10:02 PM
Some people believe in tithing and would rather give to a real aid organization than their Mega-church building a giant new gymnasium and olympic pool or the 700 Club where 70% of your donation goes into Pat Robertsons bank account.

Hell, maybe I'm cynical. :D

SicEmBaylor
6/26/2008, 10:18 PM
Actually, I DO hate those.

Yes, let's mourn someone who died in a car wreck by going to what logically must be a dangerous stretch of road to stand around and put up a memorial. That sounds like a GREAT idea.

It's ALMOST as irritating as people with those big "In Loving Memory" decals on their POS Gremlin. Yeah, I'm sure that's EXACTLY how they wanted to be memorialized.

I agree.

SicEmBaylor
6/26/2008, 10:21 PM

I don't have a problem with charity so long as it's voluntary and not government induced. My question here is, why don't we take care of our own first?

I think people who take the mission trips to Uganda, donate money to Myanmar, etc. are crazy. Keep that money at home.

Also, some o you seem to be confusing this issue with foreign aid programs. For clarification, I oppose all forms of foreign aid but that's not what I'm talking about here.

Rogue
6/26/2008, 10:37 PM
Matter of choice, plain and simple.
You do what you want with your donations, I'll send mine where I like.
I always give to the Salv. Army in the town I live in, the United Way, a few liberal groups whose values I share, and some good international organizations.

Luckily, as a gubmint employee, the CFC group does pretty decent research on the amount of money that goes toward "administrative costs." I do enjoy researching what I support though because some charities just don't live up to the great names they choose for themselves. A huge one in Oklahoma comes to mind.

I think the folk who do missionary work realize they have more of a shot of converting folks in a 3rd world country to their way of worshipping than some poor folks in Mississippi or Tennessee who've probably already heard a similar schpeel from some d00ds wearing ties and riding ten speeds.
I have an optometrist buddy who does this. I don't share his religious views but we agree on the idea that improved vision leads to a better quality of life. So I help get used eyeglasses donated to his shop for his annual "vacation."

The world is indeed getting smaller in the sense that folks feel as close to the kid with the bloated belly on TV in their living room as they do the family down the street who can't pay the light bill.

Mrs. Rogue gives to some internet thing that helps people buy goats and things.

kiva.org

soonerboomer93
6/26/2008, 10:41 PM
We do take care of our own. Some charity does need extra funding.

But sometimes people take advantage, and other times frankly, people don't want it.

Mixer!
6/26/2008, 11:24 PM

Yes, let's mourn someone who died in a car wreck by going to what logically must be a dangerous stretch of road to stand around and put up a memorial. That sounds like a GREAT idea.

It's ALMOST as irritating as people with those big "In Loving Memory" decals on their POS Gremlin. Yeah, I'm sure that's EXACTLY how they wanted to be memorialized.
Er, that's the roadside memorial to the two girls who were gunned down in Weleetka 2+ weeks ago. I apologize for picking that topic/image, I was just having some fun with SicEm. I'll take it down now.

royalfan5
6/26/2008, 11:33 PM
Matter of choice, plain and simple.
You do what you want with your donations, I'll send mine where I like.
I always give to the Salv. Army in the town I live in, the United Way, a few liberal groups whose values I share, and some good international organizations.

Luckily, as a gubmint employee, the CFC group does pretty decent research on the amount of money that goes toward "administrative costs." I do enjoy researching what I support though because some charities just don't live up to the great names they choose for themselves. A huge one in Oklahoma comes to mind.

I think the folk who do missionary work realize they have more of a shot of converting folks in a 3rd world country to their way of worshipping than some poor folks in Mississippi or Tennessee who've probably already heard a similar schpeel from some d00ds wearing ties and riding ten speeds.
I have an optometrist buddy who does this. I don't share his religious views but we agree on the idea that improved vision leads to a better quality of life. So I help get used eyeglasses donated to his shop for his annual "vacation."

The world is indeed getting smaller in the sense that folks feel as close to the kid with the bloated belly on TV in their living room as they do the family down the street who can't pay the light bill.

Mrs. Rogue gives to some internet thing that helps people buy goats and things.

kiva.org

I use Kiva.org as well. I like it because it is a loan fund, so I can continually recycle the money I donate. I only loan money for agricultural operations because I believe in helping people feed themselves and others. It's pretty much a natural extension of what I do for a living. Plus, I would rather give to something that gives people the tools to help themselves. Where they live is rather irrelevant to me. Other than that most of my donations go to the FFA and anti-cancer stuff.

SicEmBaylor
6/27/2008, 12:29 AM
I use Kiva.org as well. I like it because it is a loan fund, so I can continually recycle the money I donate. I only loan money for agricultural operations because I believe in helping people feed themselves and others. It's pretty much a natural extension of what I do for a living. Plus, I would rather give to something that gives people the tools to help themselves. Where they live is rather irrelevant to me. Other than that most of my donations go to the FFA and anti-cancer stuff.

My dad was once an FFA state officer.

SoonerInKCMO
6/27/2008, 08:47 AM
I use Kiva as well. It's pretty gratifying to see that such a small loan from just a few people can enable a person to dramatically improve his/her life.

soonerboomer93
6/27/2008, 11:41 AM
I'd give to Charity, but I don't know what club she's dancing at this time. She changed clubs while i was over seas.

JohnnyMack
6/27/2008, 11:46 AM

Why do you hate "The Intimidator"?

Sooner Schemer
6/28/2008, 06:46 PM
This search engine (powered by Yahoo!) will help you support the charity of your choice, just by surfing the net:

http://www.goodsearch.com/_gfx/goodsearch-468x60.gif (http://www.goodsearch.com)

tulsaoilerfan
6/28/2008, 07:32 PM

This should be deleted; that's the memorial to one of the two girls that was killed in Weleetka; very poor taste to post this pic on the forum.

olevetonahill
6/28/2008, 07:37 PM
This should be deleted; that's the memorial to one of the two girls that was killed in Weleetka; very poor taste to post this pic on the forum.

I agree Mods can we get it done ?

GottaHavePride
6/28/2008, 07:54 PM
Done.

olevetonahill
6/28/2008, 08:28 PM
Thank you Bro , Even Mixer realised it was in Bad taste and deleted His But it had been quoted .

tulsaoilerfan
6/28/2008, 09:02 PM
Done.

Thanks; i realize that neither of you probably knew what the pic was at first, so no hard feelings