PDA

View Full Version : You know your football team blows when...

Okla-homey
6/25/2008, 10:40 PM
The University of Louisville had a contract with Duke University to play a series of four football games over the course of a few years.

After the first game, Duke pulled out of the series. In response, Louisville sued Duke for $450,000, arguing that the contract between the schools called for a penalty of $150,000 per game, if after a cancellation "a date with a 'team of similar stature' could not be arranged."

Duke's lawyers argued in court that "the Blue Devils, who have a record of 6-45 over the past five seasons, were so bad that any team would be a suitable replacement."

In finding for Duke, the judge observed in his decision,
"At oral argument, Duke (with a candor perhaps more attributable to good legal strategy than to institutional modesty) persuasively asserted that this is a threshold that could not be any lower. Duke's argument on this point cannot be reasonably disputed by Louisville."

It's a legal strategy that has, one imagines, many other useful applications.

KC//CRIMSON
6/25/2008, 10:45 PM
I'm thinking Duke could probably afford it. Mere pocket change really.

olevetonahill
6/26/2008, 12:12 AM
I read that the other Day and LMFAO.

sooner_born_1960
6/26/2008, 07:56 AM
I think the judge got it wrong. A team of similar stature would be extremely difficult to find on short notice, considering Duke as about as bad as it gets. Let's say there are five teams as bad a Duke. If all those teams can't accommodate Louisville's schedule, they have to schedule a team of dissimilar stature.

OUDoc
6/26/2008, 08:19 AM
Exactly, not every team is a sure win like playing Duke. There are precious few teams as ****ty as Duke. Finding a similar replacement would be hard to do without getting a high school team to sub for them.

olevetonahill
6/26/2008, 08:26 AM
Doc , 1960 !Yall are sayin, Oh hell I cant stop LOL!
That they have to get em a Team that is Garenteed to lose to em ?:D :D :D :D :D :D :D