PDA

View Full Version : Yet again...

Okla-homey
6/25/2008, 10:23 PM
the planet takes note: Tulsa!>OKC ;)

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/7578/coverja08300ns3.jpg

It may come as a surprise to learn that Tulsa is one of the nation's premier centers of art deco architecture, putting it in the classy company of Miami Beach, New York, and Los Angeles. The style was hugely popular here from the outset and remained so through several evolutions—as the geometrically ornamented structures of the 1920s gave way to the simpler and more heroic public architecture of the Great Depression and then to the sleek streamline moderne of the later 1930s.

Tulsa in the Spotlight

Architecture buffs and preservation enthusiasts from across the country will head to Tulsa in October for the 2008 National Preservation Conference. This year's theme: "Preservation in Progress." Sessions and lectures will address cultural diversity (with former Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation Wilma Mankiller delivering the opening speech), sustainability, historic roads, rural revitalization, and modernism.

Conference sessions will convene at several Tulsa landmarks, including the 1929 Boston Avenue Methodist Church and the 1924 dance hall at Cain's Ballroom. Attendees can also explore Tulsa's dazzling art deco buildings and historic neighborhoods as well as other Oklahoma treasures, including Guthrie (one of the country's largest National Register districts, known for its Victorian structures), downtown Sapulpa (called the Heart of Route 66 for its 1950s drive-in and other Mother Road landmarks), and Ponca City (a restored 1920s oil boomtown).

The conference runs Oct. 21-25. Sign up or learn more at PreservationNation.org/resources/training/npc. *

http://www.preservationnation.org/magazine/

Whet
6/25/2008, 10:26 PM
yea, I saw that earlier this week when I got my copy....

BigRedJed
6/25/2008, 10:56 PM
I'll be there. Should be a great conference.

Williesan
6/25/2008, 11:00 PM
Yup - my favorite style of architecture - and we're on a goldmine of it here in T-town. :D I'll definitely try to be there, unless Wally has other ideas for keeping me busy at that time!

Williesan

mdklatt
6/25/2008, 11:00 PM
putting it in the classy company of Miami Beach, New York, and Los Angeles

Nothing but dirty filthy libz!

Whet
6/25/2008, 11:13 PM
Will Rogers HS and Webster HS are a couple of other examples...

def_lazer_fc
6/25/2008, 11:31 PM
when i think miami beach, i just think tacky.

ps. i hate tulsa for no other reason than citizens having a penchant for calling it "T Town". lame.

frankensooner
6/26/2008, 10:50 AM
Too bad we don't have ANY of that here in the BIG CITY! :rolleyes: ;)

JohnnyMack
6/26/2008, 10:53 AM
ps. i hate tulsa for no other reason than citizens having a penchant for calling it "T Town". lame.

:rolleyes: No we don't.

JohnnyMack
6/26/2008, 10:54 AM
Too bad we don't have ANY of that here in the BIG CITY! :rolleyes: ;)

You do have a nice landfill to look at.

6/26/2008, 10:56 AM
"Sapulpa" has always sounded like an anatomical term to me.

frankensooner
6/26/2008, 11:18 AM
Landfill? Are you talking out of your tookus again? I haven't seen a landfield or dump since I left eastern Oklahoma, I don't know where it goes, maybe we ship it east. ;)