PDA

View Full Version : What receiver becomes our #1 guy?

Soonermagik
6/25/2008, 09:42 PM
I say Gresham.

I know he is not a receiver, but if they line him up and toss it up it will be hard to stop him. He had an awesome season at the end of last year and now the coaches have confidence in him.

olevetonahill
6/25/2008, 09:44 PM
I say Gresham.

I know he is not a receiver, but if they line him up and toss it up it will be hard to stop him. He had an awesome season at the end of last year and now the coaches have confidence in him.

How much they Payin HIM ?

XFollower
6/25/2008, 09:45 PM
I would totally agree. After watching LASooner's highlight video, it was obvious that he's the guy. He's a WR in a tight end's body. I hope we use him a ton this year.

Curly Bill
6/25/2008, 09:45 PM

He's a stud, so not enough. :D

soonerfan28
6/25/2008, 09:46 PM
Iglesias. After watching last years highlights it's got to be Iglesias. He was awesome and with Kelly no longer there he'll be a bigger focus, but I agree Gresham could be the one also.

Harry Beanbag
6/25/2008, 09:47 PM
Gresham is probably the best option. We have a serious lack of game breaking ability at the wide out position this year, barring any newcomer on the scene that I'm not aware of.

JLEW1818
6/25/2008, 09:49 PM
Each team is going to have to choose to try to guard 1 of them, key word try. Who ever the third man is could be getting some serious yards too. M. Johnson?

Curly Bill
6/25/2008, 09:50 PM
What is the status of Adron Tennell? Is he going to be back from his knee injury?

Soonermagik
6/25/2008, 09:52 PM

He would never take money. ;)

Soonermagik
6/25/2008, 09:55 PM
What is the status of Adron Tennell? Is he going to be back from his knee injury?

He showed a flash of greatness late in the Miami game last year. IMHO, we have the best 0-line in the nation this year. I just hope we have enough talent to spread defenses out with our aerial attack.

If Tennell can stay healthy he would be another big guy that would be hard to cover.

soonerfan28
6/25/2008, 09:59 PM
Has Tennell had any luck gaining weight? Because when he was on the field last year I got worried he might take a hit and break. He looked like Hollis Price in pads.

Rhino
6/25/2008, 11:05 PM
Iggy was our top guy last year, so he'll probably be our top guy this year.

Word is Tennell reinjured his knee.

Curly Bill
6/25/2008, 11:36 PM
Iggy was our top guy last year, so he'll probably be our top guy this year.

Word is Tennell reinjured his knee.

Not good. :mad:

soonerspudman
6/26/2008, 12:50 AM
It's Iglesias, but you know Bob and KW like to spread it around. Don't forget Cheney's Fiasco Bowl performance, he could be an important go-to guy, I look for him to even lead in receptions in some games...

Big Red Ron
6/26/2008, 12:58 AM
Iglesias. After watching last years highlights it's got to be Iglesias. He was awesome and with Kelly no longer there he'll be a bigger focus, but I agree Gresham could be the one also.:)

JLEW1818
6/26/2008, 01:52 AM
Kind of hard to answer as of now but, what rounds in the draft would you guys say the sooner WR's will go in the draft. I know its a ways off but iggy, JG, and manny would have to be the top 3? But when you look at Q it looks like he has a NFL style build? Any answers for me please?

Soonermagik
6/26/2008, 08:06 AM
Kind of hard to answer as of now but, what rounds in the draft would you guys say the sooner WR's will go in the draft. I know its a ways off but iggy, JG, and manny would have to be the top 3? But when you look at Q it looks like he has a NFL style build? Any answers for me please?

Unless one of these guys has a break out year I don't see any of them going high in the NFL draft.

Now, I would say if Gresham has a monster year he could be the first TE choosen. The reason I say that is because of guys like Fred Davis, Vernon Davis (he did turn into a bust though)

The NFL really loves a good TE i.e. Jason Witten, Antonio Gates, Kellen Winslow etc....

olevetonahill
6/26/2008, 08:09 AM
Unless one of these guys has a break out year I don't see any of them going high in the NFL draft.

Now, I would say if Gresham has a monster year he could be the first TE choosen. The reason I say that is because of guys like Fred Davis, Vernon Davis (he did turn into a bust though)

The NFL really loves a good TE i.e. Jason Witten, Antonio Gates, Kellen Winslow etc....

And There we Have the Experts Voice
I bow to your Greatness Oh wise One !:P

Soonermagik
6/26/2008, 08:18 AM
And There we Have the Experts Voice
I bow to your Greatness Oh wise One !:P

I can already see we are going to be best friends. ;)

olevetonahill
6/26/2008, 09:14 AM
I can already see we are going to be best friends. ;)

Yup I Love you so RED much .
Dude Please Give it up . Im almost Positive that I speak for ALL Fans here
If you Have that Much Insider Knowledge That can Bring OUR program Down
Please Give it up to Coach or JOE C . Ok ?

Soonermagik
6/26/2008, 09:31 AM
Yup I Love you so RED much .
Dude Please Give it up . Im almost Positive that I speak for ALL Fans here
If you Have that Much Insider Knowledge That can Bring OUR program Down
Please Give it up to Coach or JOE C . Ok ?

Dude, the truth is most majority universities have this problem. If the NCAA really knew what was going on with every university there wouldn't be games being played on Saturday.

Much like if the police knew every time that I had sped, I wouldn't have a drivers license. :D

okieslp
6/26/2008, 03:03 PM
I have to go with Gresham also. I mean the dude can line up tight or go out wide. He's a freak and to try to lock him up would take a basketball center. No defense can get a good matchup on him. I look for JG to have a breakout year!

soonerfan28
6/26/2008, 03:20 PM
I have to go with Gresham also. I mean the dude can line up tight or go out wide. He's a freak and to try to lock him up would take a basketball center. No defense can get a good matchup on him. I look for JG to have a breakout year!

How nice will it be to be able to line him up wide and have Eldridge at TE. Nice

Sooner_09
6/26/2008, 03:34 PM
Eldridge will most likely be lining up at FB though.

KingDavid
6/26/2008, 03:51 PM
Gresham is probably the best option. We have a serious lack of game breaking ability at the wide out position this year, barring any newcomer on the scene that I'm not aware of.

We have a POTENTIAL serious lack of game-breaking ability:

It's unclear what Juaquin can or can't do if he's made the go-to-guy. Let's not write him off too quickly.
Tunnell has the frame and the wheels to do Kelly-like things.
Let's not forget the performance Chaney mustered in the Fiesta bowl. He certainly has all the tools . . . and perhaps now the confidence, to boot.
Between Jarboe, Miller, and Owens in the incoming class, someone should emerge as a freshman contributor. Jarboe & Owens have no less hype than Kelly did as a true freshman with instant impact potential. Although I'll admit that I'd prefer Jarboe avoid some of the TYPE of hype he was creating, for a while . ..
Last but not least . . .

What we'll have this year that we did NOT have last year is a game-breaking threat in the slot. Ryan Broyles, if he can be kept away from the local gas stations after cerfew, is going to turn some heads. He has the speed and moves to create space for others on the field. I'll put him up right now as our best shot for Freshman Newcomer of the Year in the Big XII.I'm not worried in the least about us lacking a game-breaker on offense.

As far as I'm concerned, the ONLY concern we have with regard to game-breakers is on the other side of the ball: we've got some untested noobs on the edges.

Barring injuries (like to Bradford, for instance) or Twilight Zone events like what happened in Eugene, I don't see any reason why we won't be playing for #8 in '09.

soonerfan28
6/26/2008, 05:37 PM
Eldridge will most likely be lining up at FB though.

Maybe so, but Clapp has had a good winter and spring and I think we can put Eldridge at TE in some sets to utilize both himself and Gresham.

Harry Beanbag
6/26/2008, 05:37 PM
We have a POTENTIAL serious lack of game-breaking ability:

Okay, I'll give you the potential part.

It's unclear what Juaquin can or can't do if he's made the go-to-guy. Let's not write him off too quickly.Juaquin is a good player and all, but he is not a game breaking talent.

Tennell has the frame and the wheels to do Kelly-like things.Potentially, he hasn't yet.

Let's not forget the performance Chaney mustered in the Fiesta bowl. He certainly has all the tools . . . and perhaps now the confidence, to boot.You mean both Fiesta Bowls that OU was embarassed in? There's a reason he never played unless Kelly wasn't.

Between Jarboe, Miller, and Owens in the incoming class, someone should emerge as a freshman contributor. Jarboe & Owens have no less hype than Kelly did as a true freshman with instant impact potential. Although I'll admit that I'd prefer Jarboe avoid some of the TYPE of hype he was creating, for a while . ..I really really hope so, but you certainly can't hang your hat on that happening.

Last but not least . . .

What we'll have this year that we did NOT have last year is a game-breaking threat in the slot. Ryan Broyles, if he can be kept away from the local gas stations after cerfew, is going to turn some heads. He has the speed and moves to create space for others on the field. I'll put him up right now as our best shot for Freshman Newcomer of the Year in the Big XII.Hope so, never seen him play though.

soonerfan28
6/26/2008, 05:40 PM
I wouldn't be shocked to see Iglesias, Johnson and Broyles as our starters.

Scott D
6/26/2008, 05:42 PM
It was once said "Potential just means you haven't accomplished anything yet". Those were wise words.

douxpaysan
6/26/2008, 07:23 PM
It don't matter one bit who are number one receiver may be. If we aren't able to run with authority(witness Colorado, WV).

JLEW1818
6/26/2008, 09:56 PM
I think with DM will be more of a double threat this year?? Rb/WR screen passes .... yes?

Curly Bill
6/26/2008, 09:57 PM
I think with DM will be more of a double threat this year?? Rb/WR screen passes .... yes?

Depends on the play calling. ;)

JLEW1818
6/26/2008, 10:00 PM
yes

JLEW1818
6/26/2008, 10:01 PM
I think bobby will give big brown (lol) some headaches on the screen passes hehe. I honestly think the hardest game will be @ a&m.

sorry for double post... sorry.

Sooner_09
6/26/2008, 10:30 PM
I expect to see Chaney, Iglasius, and Johnson as our starting WRs with Gresham at TE.

goingoneight
6/27/2008, 07:23 PM
If Tennell is re-injured... keeping fingers crossed that he's going to be okay... I'm calling it Chaney, Iglesias Johnson for three games with heavy doses or Gresham and Broyles along the way until they both lock up the starting roles in place of Johnson and Eldridge.

POTENTIAL is that we could have the best receiving corps in the country in terms of size, speed, NFL potential. I don't give credit to a Texas Tech receiving corps until a Wes Welker proves he's not just a system guy. There's a reason nobody in the NFL runs the wishbone, the zone-read or the five-wide spread. They're great college offenses, but they're a deathwish in the league.

Bear in mind that you just never know what's going to happen from down-to-down, camp-to-bowl, quarter-to-quarter, etc. Chaney could come out and score 6 TDs and average 100 yards per game and bust a wheel for good on the opening play of the Tejas game. Nobody is picking on AP, but he coughed up a freak fumble that cost the team it's QB against Tech last year.

Jdog
6/27/2008, 09:11 PM
I say Gresham.

Like 2ooo all of them will be.

Eielson
6/27/2008, 09:16 PM
Vernon Davis (he did turn into a bust though)

What? How old is he, 24? Did I miss something?

soonerfan28
6/27/2008, 09:20 PM
I don't see how we can call it anybody, but Iglesias. He and Gresham were both on the team last year and Iglesias had more yards. I agree that with Kelly gone Gresham's yards will go up and with the maturity of Bradford (more playbook) they will find ways to get the ball in Gresham's hands, but Iglesias will also get some of those yards. I say Iglesias 1000+ yards and Gresham 800+. All that matters is that we can actually have this debate with the talent we have on the team.

stoops the eternal pimp
6/28/2008, 02:51 AM
I know some of the NFL scouts are starting to give Iglesias some attention..Better route runner than Kelly..Good hands...not sure on the speed department..If he gets a little stronger he'll be a decent pick next year...

JLEW1818
6/28/2008, 04:09 AM
I think Iggy is a better Runner then Kelly. Kelly is faster but Iggy is a better YAC WR.

Harry Beanbag
6/28/2008, 10:55 AM
Our lack of playmakers at the wide receiver position is one of the main reasons for the embarassing Fiesta Bowl losses the last two years.

:pop:

OU_Sooners75
6/28/2008, 02:44 PM
Jaquain or Manuel will probably be our #1 WR.
Gresham will be our TD machine though.
Adron will be a very exciting WR to watch.
Chaney could have that break out year after watching what he did in the Fiesta Bowl.
Dont count out the incoming freshmen either.

JLEW1818
6/28/2008, 05:03 PM
Jaquain or Manuel will probably be our #1 WR.
Gresham will be our TD machine though.
Adron will be a very exciting WR to watch.
Chaney could have that break out year after watching what he did in the Fiesta Bowl.
Dont count out the incoming freshmen either.

I agree with ya.