PDA

View Full Version : OU #3 in updated rankings.

soonerfan28
6/25/2008, 06:15 PM
ESPN has updated it rankings, but probably not for the last time before the first game kicks off and they have moved OU to #3 ahead of USC.

Link. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3459463&campaign=rss&source=NCFHeadlines

olevetonahill
6/25/2008, 06:20 PM
The Only Pole I care about is the one at the end of the Season .
just sayin

soonerfan28
6/25/2008, 06:26 PM
I know that the ESPN poll isn't the most important one, but it has some influence and it seems like if you start the season at #8 or 9 it is hard to climb to the top if you are one of six 1-loss teams.

SoonerinSouthlake
6/25/2008, 06:31 PM
just sayin

Agree...big picture and all....

but when you have one of those seasons when there are more than two teams either unD or 1-loss, the early season poll matters.

yermom
6/25/2008, 07:02 PM
sadly, yes

the retarded part is that they base that on how easy the schedule is because they aren't ranking where they are in talent or whatever, they are trying to predict where they will be at the end of the season

goingoneight
6/25/2008, 07:08 PM
That's a little high for me, but I agree we're ahead of USC right now. I know, I know... Petey pwns us... but we're a helluva lot more solid on offense and we seem to always end up with a decent defense in a sick offensive league.

JLEW1818
6/25/2008, 07:11 PM
04-05 usc OU 1 and 2 the entire year. Auburn 12th to start??, and went undefeated. Pre-season rankings matter. If a team plays different because your ranked first, your not a good team.

soonerfan28
6/25/2008, 07:19 PM
04-05 usc OU 1 and 2 the entire year. Auburn 12th to start??, and went undefeated. Pre-season rankings matter. If a team plays different because your ranked first, your not a good team.

I agree with what you are saying, but look at last year. Kansas was a 1-loss team but got no consideration for the championship game because they had a loss to Missouri that dropped them quite a few spots and left them no chance to make up that gap when we beat Mizzou and WV lost. When you don't go undefeated and half of the top 10 has 1 loss then you need that early preseason ranking to be at the top of the rest of the 1-loss teams.

JLEW1818
6/25/2008, 09:31 PM
I agree with what you are saying, but look at last year. Kansas was a 1-loss team but got no consideration for the championship game because they had a loss to Missouri that dropped them quite a few spots and left them no chance to make up that gap when we beat Mizzou and WV lost. When you don't go undefeated and half of the top 10 has 1 loss then you need that early preseason ranking to be at the top of the rest of the 1-loss teams.

AGREE 100%

soonermix
6/26/2008, 09:42 AM

i thought they played the last regular season game against each other.
and when you lose late it is way worse then losing early plus when you factor in the weak schedule kansas had and ended up not even winning their conference that is why they were not considered not just preseason ranking.

olevetonahill
6/26/2008, 09:48 AM

Then WE Need to Just NOT LOSE !
Nuff said
Im a Purist when it comes to OU football !;)

KingDavid
6/26/2008, 09:58 AM
just sayin

Poll = n. a gathering of opinions resulting in a rankings, such as the College Football rankings published by the Associated Press or the Coaches. Example: The Sooners finished #8 in the AP Poll for th3 2007-2008.

Pole = n. a slang/vernacular referring to the erect male sex organ. Example: Oleve routinely smokes pole for petty cash.

:D

trey
6/26/2008, 10:02 AM
that's impossible! we all know that espn thinks ou is the scum of the earth and that usc is the darling of the world.

soonerfan28
6/26/2008, 11:21 AM
Then WE Need to Just NOT LOSE !
Nuff said
Im a Purist when it comes to OU football !;)

Couldn't agree more.

shaun4411
6/26/2008, 12:35 PM
its good to know that ou controls their own destiny. that's what matters here.

Seamus
6/26/2008, 01:20 PM
Poll = n. a gathering of opinions resulting in a rankings, such as the College Football rankings published by the Associated Press or the Coaches. Example: The Sooners finished #8 in the AP Poll for th3 2007-2008.

Pole = n. a slang/vernacular referring to the erect male sex organ. Example: Oleve routinely smokes pole for petty cash.

How could you be a 1,200-post sponsor and not know about "pole"?

Noobicile ;)

KingDavid
6/26/2008, 01:32 PM
How could you be a 1,200-post sponsor and not know about "pole"?

Noobicile ;)

Well, I'll be damned. Look at what the the "pole" forum search turns up! You learn something everyday. I'll be a noob until I die, I suppose.

Scott D
6/26/2008, 02:30 PM

pretty sure Kansas made out well from what happened to them last season. Afterall, only Orange Bowl champions after finishing 2nd in their division.

RedstickSooner
6/26/2008, 02:47 PM
just sayin

Poll, dude, poll. You just insulted one of our valuable Coalition of the Willing partners :D

soonerfan28
6/26/2008, 03:24 PM
pretty sure Kansas made out well from what happened to them last season. Afterall, only Orange Bowl champions after finishing 2nd in their division.

Maybe, but if Georgia was getting consideration for the NC how do you leave a 1-loss Kansas team out of the discussion?

olevetonahill
6/26/2008, 06:19 PM

I New Id snare a nOOb with that :D :P :cool: :pop:

olevetonahill
6/26/2008, 06:21 PM
Poll, dude, poll. You just insulted one of our valuable Coalition of the Willing partners :D

Damn 2 nOObs in one thread ?

Scott D
6/26/2008, 06:39 PM
Maybe, but if Georgia was getting consideration for the NC how do you leave a 1-loss Kansas team out of the discussion?

In my opinion, the talk of Georgia for the NC held no weight, based upon the BCS decision following the Miami asswhupping of Nebraska, followed by our appearance in the Sugar Bowl two years later about not being a conference champion. Even in the vaunted SEC this is non negotiable imo. Actually to take it a step further, Georgia couldn't even manage to win it's division.

Truthfully, Georgia and Kansas should have played each other in the "It doesn't Matter Bowl" but Hawaii a team that actually won it's conference got the lucky spot in that bowl.

JLEW1818
6/26/2008, 10:08 PM
All I know is that Statistically we have the best chance to go undefeated. I think Bob will handle the rest during the season, this is the year of the Orange bowl, just leave it to Bobby, he will get us back to it. Oh and that Sam guy, I think hes kinda good.

Blue
6/26/2008, 10:19 PM
Georgia aint making it. 2 losses at least.

JLEW1818
6/26/2008, 10:22 PM
Georgia aint making it. 2 losses at least.

I got them losing to @ Arizona State, and the SEC championship to Auburn.

Blue
6/26/2008, 10:38 PM
At S. Carolina, @ ASU, Alabama, @ LSU, Fla, @ Auburn, SEC CHAMP.

If they get through that w/ one loss, they deserve it. But it's Georgia folks. Maybe 3 to 4 losses.

Sooner_09
6/26/2008, 10:44 PM
I agree. That is a daunting schedule and if they survive it will indeed be much deserved. Don't bet on it happening though.

JLEW1818
6/27/2008, 05:44 PM
At S. Carolina, @ ASU, Alabama, @ LSU, Fla, @ Auburn, SEC CHAMP.

If they get through that w/ one loss, they deserve it. But it's Georgia folks. Maybe 3 to 4 losses.

I agree I see losses @asu, and the sec championship game (auburn)..

olevetonahill
6/27/2008, 05:53 PM
Some one shoulda Made this Into a Pole
we need to see what the real views are .

47straight
6/27/2008, 07:57 PM
I'd like to see us ranked #10-15 to start the season.

KingDavid
6/27/2008, 08:37 PM
I New Id snare a nOOb with that :D :P :cool: :pop:

No need to gloat. I already owned it, you pollsmoker.

Jdog
6/27/2008, 08:50 PM
Earliest poll I've seen - has anyone seen our ranking yet for 2010 ?

soonerfan28
6/27/2008, 08:57 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing WV in the national championship game. It would be nice to get some respect we lost after last year.

goingoneight
6/28/2008, 12:14 AM
Being ranked #3 doesn't exactly spell loss of respect IMO.