PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 South Preview, Richard Justice

Collier11
6/25/2008, 09:51 AM
Big 12 South preview:
I don't mind telling you this is my favorite day of the year. I know it's a day you've been anxiously awaiting, and that makes it even more special. I can't get two steps inside my favorite Whataburger without someone saying: ''Richard, when is your Big 12 South preview coming out?'' I don't know about you, but I love making people smile. It's really my life's work.

People love my Big 12 South preview. They know I'll give it to 'em straight, honestly and with a touch of humor. That's just the way I am. I get these traits from Mama. She's been this way for just about all of her 89 years. I have no idea why she always liked Sister better than me, but that's another story.

I also know more about this stuff than almost anyone. I hate to brag, but another thing Mama tells me is that it ain't bragging if you can do it. She's referring to Sister when she says this, but still.

I'm releasing my preview a few weeks early this year in the hope that people will stop asking when it's coming out and if I'm going to say anything nice about their teams. Anyway, when we talk about predicting the Big 12 South, we're really talking about second place. First place again appears decided before the first kickoff.

Until Bob Stoops leaves, it's going to be that way. His Sooners are going to win for the seventh time in the last nine years and almost certainly will win their sixth conference championship and play in another BCS game. Some Texas fans get their kicks out of watching OU lose a BCS game. It's true they've lost a few lately. It's also true they play in a lot of them if you know what I mean and I think you do.

It would be easy to pick Texas Tech. The Red Raiders are loaded. But it could come down to the fact that the Tech-OU game will be in Norman on Nov. 22. Tech clearly is the only team capable of stopping OU. The Sooners don't play Missouri and have Kansas in Norman.

OK, time for the picks. As far as comments, there may not be many. Anytime you write about UT sports without kissing everyone's shoes, you're going to get about a thousand profanity-laced comments. I just don't have the time to filter out the dirty words.

1. OU. Bob Stoops became the first coach in Big 12 history to win back-to-back conference championships, and he'll probably make it three in a row. The Sooners are loaded again. They've got maybe the country's top O-line, and QB Sam Bradford is going to throw up some scary numbers. OU's defense lost some key people, but the line is strong and the replacements plenty good enough.

2. Tech. Another year of Graham Harrell-to-Michael Crabtree and an offense that returns every starter except WR Danny Amendola. Texas Tech is BCS material. Here's a stat that might surprise you: Tech ranked third in the Big 12 in total defense last season. And that's where the improvement should come in 2008. Tech finished strongly under DC Ruffin McNeill, and Mike Leach appears confident it will carry through into 2008.

3. Texas. Any UT preview must come with an important qualifier regarding Longhorn players and certain law-enforcement issues. It appears to have been a quiet off-season, so perhaps the program has turned a corner. The Longhorns are also good enough to play in a BCS game. Mack Brown's hiring of Auburn defensive coordinator Will Muschamp is a huge step toward getting the Longhorns back into a meaningful bowl game. He plays an aggressive, gambling style that even prissy UT fans will like. Offensively, Jamaal Charles won't be missed as much as some UT fans think. That's because Brown stacks quality recruiting class upon quality recruiting class. So long, Jamaal. Hello, Vondrell McGee, Chris Ogbonnaya and Foswhitt Whitaker. I doubt I'll be covering many UT games this season because it's going to be too hard to spell the names of the RBs. I can spell Mike Goodson. Easy.

4. A&M. Mike Sherman is a winner. You can look it up. He's also a smart, decent man that will recruit well and eventually get A&M football to the place some of us thought Coach Fran would take it. He has installed a pro style offense that will be attractive to recruits. If the Aggies lose some games this year, it won't be because the talent wasn't utilized properly. A&M's backfield is as deep as any in the nation with Jovorski Lane, Mike Goodson and Bradley Stephens. No more wondering why they weren't used. It'll be a challenging year for QB Stephen McGee. He was a terrific passer in high school and will need to rediscover that part of his game. Now about that O-line. OK, don't ask. Pass defense? Don't ask about that, either.

5. Oklahoma State. I'm a huge Mike Gundy fan because, frankly, I've wanted to yell at a few sportswriters through the years myself. That Gundy signed a bunch of juco guys tells you Boone must be getting tired of financing an also-ran program. If things go south again, he should call Tuscaloosa and try to convince Nick Saban to leave. It's not like he hasn't quit a few jobs in the past.

6. Baylor. Fasten your seatbelt, Baylor fans. Your wild ride is about to begin. There'll be big plays, sloppiness, more big plays, too many penalties and still more big plays. Briles no longer has Dave Maggard to push him to tighten discipline and strength training, so it'll be interesting to see if there are issues in that area.Blake Szymanski and Kirby Freeman will compete for the QB job. Neither is close to being Kevin Kolb, but it's a start. Baylor's O-line is solid. Defensively, there's work to do, and in a very tough division, improvement will be slow. But Briles got a seven-year contract, and if he does for Baylor what he did for UH, Bears fans probably will be happy.

• • •
Across most of the nation, Americans are wincing at soaring gasoline prices, struggling with rising food costs, worrying over collapsing real estate values and staring into the abyss of a looming recession. Here in Houston, Maserati sales are up 86 percent so far this year. Chicago Tribune

A photo taken during the early stages of the Belmont Stakes has revealed Big Brown was running with a loose shoe as the Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner attempted to become the first Triple Crown winner since 1979. ESPN.com

The Mets got beat up by their own network--with management's blessing. New York Daily News

The Nationals named their new press box for the great Shirley Povich. George Solomon

JLEW1818
6/25/2008, 11:15 AM
oh ya.. and Kobe Bryant is not a Michael Jordan Player!!

I agree with your rankings, I think tech is going to make it to a bcs bowl too. I think a&m will battle Oklahoma state for 4th.

SOONERKAT
6/25/2008, 11:39 AM
The irony here is why he gets so much local (Houston) heat for his picks:

Justice = Whorn

S008NER
6/25/2008, 12:05 PM
Anytime you write about UT sports without kissing everyone's shoes, you're going to get about a thousand profanity-laced comments.

Very True

badger
6/25/2008, 12:15 PM
South standings, preseason prediction:

1. Oklahoma
Why: Because we said so.

2. Texas Tech
Why: They'll beat Texas, but lose to us.

3. Texas
Why: Because they'll lose to us and Tech.

4. Texas A&M
Why: Because even though they'll be better than under Fran, that will not place them above Texas, Tech or OU. Oh, and fans will be saying things like "We're one season away from the BCS!" and "We were 7 points away from the Big 12 championship game!" to justify their hatred of Fran and all things non-Aggie.

5. Oklahoma State
Why: Cue "Most powerful offense in the universe." Cue "Most awful defense in the universe." Cue victory over Baylor and Baylor alone in the Big 12 South!

6. Baylor
Why: Because after wins over A&M, Colorado, OSU and ISU, it is not anyone in the South's turn to lose to Baylor this season. Therefore, Baylor's token win will be over... (closes eyes and finger lands on a Big 12 school name) KANSAS STATE! Congrats, KSU, you are the token Big 12 loser-to-Baylor this year. Woot.

As long as I'm at it... Nort' predikshuns:

1. Nebbish
Why: What, judo know?

2. Missouri
Why: Whoops, why did we lose to Nebraska and drop that game against those south teams?

3. Kansas
Why: Good, but not Back-to-Orange-Bowl good.

4. Colorado
Why: Go play intramurals, brother. Go play intramurals.

5. Iowa State
Why: They suck, but not as bad as their new logo.

6. KSU
Why: If you are pegged to lose to Baylor, you get this spot by default. Oh, and our revenge for 2003, thank you very much. :mad:

soonerinabilene
6/25/2008, 12:25 PM
heh. Dick Justice. Gawd that never gets old.

SweetPup1221
6/25/2008, 12:40 PM
Can I get a pic of Iowa State's new logo?

Oh and Badger, that actually made me laugh out loud!

badger
6/25/2008, 12:45 PM
Can I get a pic of Iowa State's new logo?

Oh and Badger, that actually made me laugh out loud!
Sure.
Old logo:
http://kohm.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/isu-logo.JPG

New logo:
http://www.collegewallstars.com/wp-content/themes/revolution/images/hp-1.gif
http://www.collegewallstars.com/images/wallstar-isu-2.jpg
A straight "STATE" instead of curved would make it a little less cheesy, but as it is now, I-STATE?! Nobody calls Iowa State I-STATE. It's either "Iowa State" or "ISU."

Do we call Ohio State O-STATE, or OSU (or tOSU)? Or about about Florida State? Gooooo, F-STATE!

I thought the old logo needed improvement, but the new logo is only a step in place, not forward.

JLEW1818
6/25/2008, 12:49 PM
Ya thats pretty gay.

badger
6/25/2008, 01:08 PM
I actually liked the old traditional ISU logo (see the birdie's jersey in the retro cardinal mascot image by the helmet). Why couldn't that be on the helmet instead of I-STATE?

I state? No, YOU state!

Collier11
6/25/2008, 01:17 PM
I like ISU's new digs...pretty cool. And here is my worthless opinion

South:

OU
Tech
Tex
Ok ST
A&M Baylor

Mizzou
CU
KU
KST
Neb
ISU

JLEW1818
6/25/2008, 02:15 PM
Ya I only see the Aggies beating Baylor in the south this year.

Miko
6/25/2008, 03:54 PM
Ya I only see the Aggies beating Baylor in the south this year.

Naw, I am confident we will too. :D

JLEW1818
6/25/2008, 05:29 PM
Naw, I am confident we will too. :D

haha you know what I ment.

yermom
6/25/2008, 06:17 PM
Sure.
Old logo:
http://kohm.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/isu-logo.JPG

New logo:
http://www.collegewallstars.com/wp-content/themes/revolution/images/hp-1.gif
http://www.collegewallstars.com/images/wallstar-isu-2.jpg
A straight "STATE" instead of curved would make it a little less cheesy, but as it is now, I-STATE?! Nobody calls Iowa State I-STATE. It's either "Iowa State" or "ISU."

Do we call Ohio State O-STATE, or OSU (or tOSU)? Or about about Florida State? Gooooo, F-STATE!

I thought the old logo needed improvement, but the new logo is only a step in place, not forward.

looks like it's in the wrong conference

ashley
6/28/2008, 08:59 AM
The Aggies may be a little high. The word out of there is that the don't look as good as the last couple of years and th O- line is especially bad and the receivers are very young.

Outopia
6/28/2008, 11:34 AM
It sounds like sports writers, from out of the local area, are on to the BS "Team on the Rise" crap this year:stunned: :stunned: . Many (and I think this Justice guy was one of them) bought into this last year. Looks like he may have learned his lesson.

Widescreen
6/28/2008, 12:29 PM
The guy may be able to spell Mike Goodson but he apparently can't spell Jorvorskie Lane.

OU_Sooners75
6/28/2008, 02:34 PM
My P.O.S. Big 12 Predictions:

North:

1. Missouri - They have Maclin, Daniel, Coffman back. They also have 90% of their defense returning.

2. Nebraska - I would not be surprised if they represented the North in Kansas City this year. People are forgetting that they are only one year removed from playing for the Big 12 Title.

3. Kansas - They should still be a very dangerous team. They were the youngest team in the Big 12 last year.

4. Colorado - Because they are going to be better, but not good enough to get inside the top 3 in the North.

5. Kansas State - Without Bill Snyder, this program continues its downward spiral. Look for Prince to be dethroned after this season.

6. Iowa State - Made a last minute surge last year. But 2008 is a new season and this is still the Baylor of the North.

South:

1. Oklahoma - Any surprise? This team is loaded on offense. Bradford may have a sophomore slump, but it will not be like most. On defense, they have a very good front line. The Secondary might actually be better this season even with the loss of Reggie Smith. This team could make a march to the National Championship Game.

2. Texas - Yes Not Tech. Texas should be back to form in 2008. Look for McCoy to have another Freshman type season.

3. Texas Tech - Yes their defense might have been #3 in the Big 12 in 2007, but that really was not saying a whole lot. Their offense will still pass 80% of the time and gain a lot of yardage and points. But their Defense will still give up a lot.

4. Oklahoma State - I think this team is on the level with Texas A&M. No world's greatest offense this year. But one thing is certain, they will have one of the world's worst defenses.

5. Texas A&M - Yes Sherman should be, and I mean should be, an upgrade, but he basically has the same crappy team as last year.

6. Baylor - We are talking football. Baylor knows where tehy belong in the pecking order.

JLEW1818
6/28/2008, 05:09 PM
Man there are a ton of good QB's in the big 12. Anybody think this might be one of the best groups ever?

JLEW1818
6/28/2008, 06:10 PM
Found this Today, lol. http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk97/Jschriver1221/samlonghorn.jpg

Collier11
6/28/2008, 07:24 PM
thats repulsive

birddog
6/28/2008, 09:36 PM
Man there are a ton of good QB's in the big 12. Anybody think this might be one of the best groups ever?

easily.

bradford
harrell
robinson
mccoy
daniel
freeman
mcgee
reesing
ganz
hawkins

OU-HSV
6/28/2008, 10:11 PM
jlew...that pic made me throw up in my mouth.
Post reported. ;)

JLEW1818
6/29/2008, 03:18 AM
It made me too. My friend sent it to me, who's an OU fan.

goingoneight
6/29/2008, 05:33 PM
easily.

bradford
harrell
robinson
mccoy
daniel
freeman
mcgee
reesing
ganz
hawkins

2004 had a damn good corps of BIG 12 QBs, too. Tech as always had a good'ern, White (Heisman winnar), Dunce Young, even :stunned: had a decent one. Overall the quality is better, but the top of each list still favors 2004 as the best.