PDA

View Full Version : question for the musicians on the board

def_lazer_fc
6/24/2008, 11:24 PM
so, im looking for a new head for a bass setup. i've been using an old crate solid state combo my friend has had for a while and am in the market for a new setup. i have a 4x10 cab already. i must say i am not a nazi as far as solid state vs. tube is concerned. whatever sounds the best for the money. im looking to drop 600 - 700 for a used one. not too cheap. not too expensive. not too terribly concerned about power as this will be used for small rock clubs and such.

we play mostly straight rock ala mc5 with a heavy influence of psychedelic ambiance and dirty southern blues. sorta earlier verve or spaceman 3.

oh, im playing on an 05' rickenbacker 4003. i have an idea of what i want (i got a thing for ampegs), but figured i'd see what the SO had to say. TIA

tbl
6/24/2008, 11:34 PM
Ampeg and Fender have loads of variety.

def_lazer_fc
6/24/2008, 11:35 PM
im currently thinking about an ampeg svt III pro. just about middle of the road as far as price is concerned.

Getem
6/25/2008, 06:16 PM
I'm not an Ampeg expert by any means, but I know that to get the classic Ampeg sound, you need one of the big all-tube monsters, like the SVTCL. If you're going solid state, you might as well look at Mesa, Fender, and Peavey as well.

StoopTroup
6/25/2008, 06:19 PM
Mesa Boogie if you can find one that cheap.

def_lazer_fc
6/25/2008, 08:29 PM
like i said, im really not one of those that ONLY swears by tube or ONLY swears by solid. i've always been a fan of ampeg and fender as far as heads go. i think i may be a little judgemental of peavy but thats just b/c i cant help but think of ****ty metal and a dorky bf rich guitar. :D

thanks for the input.

btw, has anyone here ever had any personal experience with gallien-kruger heads? TIA

OklaPony
6/25/2008, 11:34 PM
like i said, im really not one of those that ONLY swears by tube or ONLY swears by solid. i've always been a fan of ampeg and fender as far as heads go. i think i may be a little judgemental of peavy but thats just b/c i cant help but think of ****ty metal and a dorky bf rich guitar. :D

thanks for the input.

btw, has anyone here ever had any personal experience with gallien-kruger heads? TIA

The top end GK stuff is pretty nice, the entry level is serviceable, but that's about it. Check out Eden Gold Series... that's some wickedly cool stuff. Where are you located and what kind of 4X10 cab do you have?

def_lazer_fc
6/25/2008, 11:56 PM
The top end GK stuff is pretty nice, the entry level is serviceable, but that's about it. Check out Eden Gold Series... that's some wickedly cool stuff. Where are you located and what kind of 4X10 cab do you have?

southside okc, and the cab is an ampeg

Mixer!
6/26/2008, 12:05 AM
Rivera's are nice, and SWR made some great stuff back in the day. Can't go wrong with the Ampeg, though.

OklaPony
6/26/2008, 11:16 AM
southside okc, and the cab is an ampeg

Cool. I've got 2 of the Eden heads in Norman if you want to bring your cab and bass over and give 'em a whirl.

Getem
6/26/2008, 05:15 PM
I use a GK 1001RB with an Acme B2 99% of the time. It is a very versatile setup, but it doesn't get the Ampeg tube sound. It's more of a hifi punchy sound. I would also look at the Mesa Pulse or Walkabout.