PDA

View Full Version : Charles Thompson...All Over Again

Sabanball
6/24/2008, 09:00 PM
That was the first thing that popped into my mind when I heard about Jimmy Johns, one of my Tide's rbs(recently converted to lb) and former Mr. Football in MS, being busted by undercover agents in Tuscaloosa around 10am for involvement with cocaine on the 5 o'clock drive on sports talk radio here today. Supposedly, he had possession of 9 grams, which is tantamount to intent to sell/distribute, and some exstasy(not sure how much of that he had). The CW here is that he is definitely facing hard time-anywhere from 2-10 yrs. Of course, he was immediately dismissed by Saban from the team.

It is so sad to see a young man with a lot of promise throw his life way like that, and it really made me think of Charles. I can remember him leading the team in a great win over Nebraska in '87 after Holieway went down in an earlier game(against Mizzou?), and the next thing I remember is him in an orange jumpsuit. What exactly gets in these kids heads to motivate them to do things like this, I will never understand.

http://blog.al.com/live/2008/06/tides_johns_arrested_on_multip.html

Partial Qualifier
6/24/2008, 09:52 PM
You have a linebacker named Jimmy Johns?

....BWAHAHAHAHAHHAA!!! :D

Sabanball
6/24/2008, 10:21 PM
You have a linebacker named Jimmy Johns?

....BWAHAHAHAHAHHAA!!! :D

Not anymore we don't.

I get your point...Lol. That was the same type of thing we were asking about you guys back in the mid 90's....Good programs come back, but it takes time. You guys did, we will too.

soonerspudman
6/24/2008, 10:56 PM
It's truely said, a young man with probably a lot going for him, not only did he throw it all away, he'll now face an uphill battle that will take him many, many years to overcome.

I also couldn't help but note when this happened to Charles Thompson, SI put it on the cover of their print magazine and used it as the final nail in Barry's OU coaching tenure. Suppose they'll do that to Saban? Naw, didn't think so...

OK2LA
6/25/2008, 01:19 AM
'sept Chucky Thompson was a wizard of the option - might have been better than Jamelle. The Quarterback at the time, and face of a Oklahoma - Led OU over #1 Nebbish to put his team at #1 themselves - led his team to an 11-1 record. They put CT's face on the cover of SI. Oklahoma at the time - one of one of the most dominant teams in the 80's. (Freshly coming off of a National Championship just a couple of years earlier.) Jimmy Johns was a linebacker on a depleted middle of the road team. Jimmy Johns couldn't hold CT's jock, and his story will be an "Also in College Football" in S.I.

Save your: "We'll bounce back from this" self pity. You haven't begun to feel the fall of your program as of yet young whippersnapper.

You have no CT, you have no BooBlake, you have no SmellsofBourbon.

OK2LA
6/25/2008, 01:24 AM
Plus -

My boy CT got busted with 17 grams.

Seventeen!

J.J. got busted with 9.

Most 9th graders carry 9.

OUDoc
6/25/2008, 08:06 AM
That's sad. Of course he could still play at LSU if he's good enough. :rolleyes:

Paperclip
6/25/2008, 10:29 AM
That was the first thing that popped into my mind when I heard about Jimmy Johns, one of my Tide's rbs(recently converted to lb) and former Mr. Football in MS, being busted by undercover agents in Tuscaloosa around 10am for involvement with cocaine on the 5 o'clock drive on sports talk radio here today. Supposedly, he had possession of 9 grams, which is tantamount to intent to sell/distribute, and some exstasy(not sure how much of that he had). The CW here is that he is definitely facing hard time-anywhere from 2-10 yrs. Of course, he was immediately dismissed by Saban from the team.

It is so sad to see a young man with a lot of promise throw his life way like that, and it really made me think of Charles. I can remember him leading the team in a great win over Nebraska in '87 after Holieway went down in an earlier game(against Mizzou?), and the next thing I remember is him in an orange jumpsuit. What exactly gets in these kids heads to motivate them to do things like this, I will never understand.

http://blog.al.com/live/2008/06/tides_johns_arrested_on_multip.html

I would just like to compliment you on properly spelling "Holieway". Lot of folks around here couldn't do that. :)

rainiersooner
6/25/2008, 12:08 PM
Not being an expert in all things cocaine related - how much cocaine does one normally use during a night of partying? I'm curious what the threshold is for getting into "intent to distribute" area.

OklahomaRed
6/25/2008, 12:16 PM
Dude has to make money someway. The NCAA has made it hard to pay players, except if you go to school at Sothern Cal? : - )

Flagstaffsooner
6/25/2008, 01:11 PM
And Bama leapfrogs Mizzou in Fulmer Cup standings (http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2008/06/25/fulmer-cupdate-rooooooooooooll-taaaaahde/#more-5260)

Sabanball
6/25/2008, 04:03 PM
[QUOTE=OK2LA;2323883]'sept Chucky Thompson was a wizard of the option - might have been better than Jamelle.

You've got to be kidding, OK2LA. Jamelle led the team to a NC as a true freshman and was a MUCH better manipulator of the 'bone than CT ever was. Next to Thomas Lott, Switzer himself said he was the best he ever had.

Save your: "We'll bounce back from this" self pity. You haven't begun to feel the fall of your program as of yet young whippersnapper.

Huh? Who said anything about self pity? I merely commented that I thought it was sad and unfortunate to see this young man throw his life away and not only forfeit his football career but also very likely his free university education that he was getting. So I am not sure I follow you on that one...Or are you just talkin' smack?;)

Roll Tide and Boomer Sooner

Paperclip
6/25/2008, 05:04 PM
He's saying we suffered longer than you have.

Sabanball
6/25/2008, 05:10 PM
He's saying we suffered longer than you have.

Oh...ok. Thanks for the clarification.:)

royalfan5
6/25/2008, 05:52 PM
When I saw the title, I was hoping the thread was Pixies related.

Partial Qualifier
6/25/2008, 08:14 PM
I was only kidding about the name. There's a sub sandwich place in Norman called Jimmy Johns...

Animal Mother
7/2/2008, 02:26 PM
At least Sabanball knows the difference between Holieway and Thompson. Some temas fans don't or don't want to is more like it.

StoopTroup
7/2/2008, 06:10 PM
Not being an expert in all things cocaine related - how much cocaine does one normally use during a night of partying? I'm curious what the threshold is for getting into "intent to distribute" area.

9 Grams is a pretty darn good time.

2 would be quite a bit for your girlfriend but hey it's a first date and it's best to make a good impression right off the bat. ;) :D

Big Red Ron
7/2/2008, 06:46 PM
I wonder if Saban and Thompson will be on the cover of SI?

tulsaoilerfan
7/3/2008, 05:04 PM
Charles Thompson couldn't hold Jamelle's jock as an option QB; CT would have never played other than mop up duty if Jamelle hadn't tore up the knee in 87; he was never the same player after that.

sooneron
7/3/2008, 10:12 PM
Heh, I lived in Post Oaks where CT was cuffed back then. I still remember the tool he was caught with. That guy lived in the first section on the right as you drove into the place. Wild times in Nompton back innaday.

I'm not sure if Jamelle was that much better than CT. The reason CT was mop up was that he was 2 years younger and Jamelle had cemented himself in 85/86. CT was faster (maybe now we know why) by about .2 in the forty. He was wicked fast. Jamelle was a better passer, fwiw.

Hanta Yo!

tulsaoilerfan
7/3/2008, 11:04 PM
Heh, I lived in Post Oaks where CT was cuffed back then. I still remember the tool he was caught with. That guy lived in the first section on the right as you drove into the place. Wild times in Nompton back innaday.

I'm not sure if Jamelle was that much better than CT. The reason CT was mop up was that he was 2 years younger and Jamelle had cemented himself in 85/86. CT was faster (maybe now we know why) by about .2 in the forty. He was wicked fast. Jamelle was a better passer, fwiw.

Hanta Yo!

Ct may have been faster, but Jamelle was much, much stronger; watch the old highlights and see how many tackles he would break

Charla
7/4/2008, 10:44 AM
Maybe the young man was headed for Tx. to see if any of the Hornies needed some Coke or X to go with their weed.