PDA

View Full Version : ESPN 2008-09 Bowl predictions

SteelClip49
6/24/2008, 05:40 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3458435

in the desert vs the Polygamists....blah.

Snrfn4ever08
6/24/2008, 06:10 PM
I just checked that out about 10 minutes ago and I think there are a few serious problems. First of all, I'm not going to gripe about OU not being picked for the championship game because of our recent history of dropping small-time games (a la Colorado last year). I mainly have 2 things to beef about.

1) What is with the tOSU love? I don't care how great their defense is or how great Boeckman is. They've been absolutely dominated in the last two BCS championship games. Eventually people need to realize how weak the Big Televen is and stop putting tOSU in the championship game based on their feasting off their weak conference.

2) I understand how much talent Texas Tech is supposed to have. I understand how Harrell is Lubbock's second coming of Christ. I do not understand, however, why people outside of Lubbock think that Texas Tech should be projected to play in a BCS game. It could happen, but with there are so many better options. If TTech does make it, it will be a shocker. They aren't the kind of team to be a preseason favorite for something like that and I've seen nothing in their previous history to show that can be counted on to win the games they are supposed to and get to that level.

Octavian
6/24/2008, 06:24 PM
Ohio State

@ USC

@ Wisconsin

@Michigan St.

Penn St.

Michigan

Georgia

@ South Carolina

@ Arizona St.

Alabama

@ LSU

Florida (Jacksonville)

@ Auburn

While both tOSU and UGA return solid groups....each could easily drop multiple games with those schedules. USC is likely to hammer Ohio St. in the Coliseum and Georgia will have difficult time running through the SEC after winning their first non-conference game outside the South since Herschel was in diapers.

'08 is as wide open as '07.

JLEW1818
6/24/2008, 06:39 PM
There is no way in hell that Georgia and Ohio state go undefeated. I personally think that last years LSU team is better then this years Georgia's team. If Georgia does not play horse crap Hawaii in the bowl game last year then there not praised as much. I would put money that the following teams have a better chance to make it to the title game, Oklahoma, usc, auburn. Again I think it will be us and usc in the title game.

sooner94
6/24/2008, 07:10 PM
Jesus, I would hate for us to play BYU in the Fiesta. Do I need to explain why?

AlbqSooner
6/24/2008, 07:33 PM
Jesus, I would hate for us to play BYU in the Fiesta. Do I need to explain why?

Too many wives that don't understand football in attendance?;)

Hublah
6/24/2008, 07:57 PM
You have to watch those mormons...we teach our 3rd, 4th, and 5th wives about football...so not all of them dont understand football! :)

JLEW1818
6/24/2008, 09:12 PM
Sweet I picked Tech vs Auburn too.

Sooner_09
6/24/2008, 11:02 PM
Anyone else notice that 9 Big XII teams are listed with baylor, kstate and iowa state the only ones being left out?

OKMAGIC
6/25/2008, 08:05 AM
BYU? Geez I hope we can be the butt of another feel story for some team. Goliath is getting pretty beat up.

CincySooner
6/25/2008, 08:13 AM
wow... surprised ESPN dropped Missouri all the way into the Holiday Bowl.

and by the way, lets not bellyache about potential opponents until we start winning BCS bowl games again.

OKMAGIC
6/25/2008, 08:31 AM
That should have been "feel good" story. You know BSU, WV,,,,,never mind.

BermudaSooner
6/25/2008, 09:19 AM
1) What is with the tOSU love? I don't care how great their defense is or how great Boeckman is. They've been absolutely dominated in the last two BCS championship games. Eventually people need to realize how weak the Big Televen is and stop putting tOSU in the championship game based on their feasting off their weak conference.

What does that have to do with them getting to the champ game this year? Whoever wins this most this year (and has some luck) will make it. In fact, since relatively weak tOSU teams have made it in the recent past, it is probably more likely that a stronger tOSU makes it this year--they've proven they have a relatively easier road. Now this year with USC on the schedule...we'll see.

JLEW1818
6/25/2008, 01:01 PM
I see Missouri cotton picking. They will finish 3rd in the big 12 falling behind tech after they lose to Oklahoma in the big 12 championship.

SteelClip49
6/25/2008, 02:21 PM
come to think of it, BYU would be a worthy opponent. They are a tradition rich program thanks to Lavell Edwards....the most dominant mid-major for the 80s and 90s. Because of the parity today they are looked at as a Boise State and a Utah but remember, within the last 25 years they did win a national title. They also beat OU in the 1994 Copper Bowl in the desert....of all places. I don't think it necessarily would be revenge but it could make for great fan interaction....hehehe.

soonermix
6/25/2008, 03:07 PM
I just checked that out about 10 minutes ago and I think there are a few serious problems. First of all, I'm not going to gripe about OU not being picked for the championship game because of our recent history of dropping small-time games (a la Colorado last year). I mainly have 2 things to beef about.

2) I understand how much talent Texas Tech is supposed to have. I understand how Harrell is Lubbock's second coming of Christ. I do not understand, however, why people outside of Lubbock think that Texas Tech should be projected to play in a BCS game. It could happen, but with there are so many better options. If TTech does make it, it will be a shocker. They aren't the kind of team to be a preseason favorite for something like that and I've seen nothing in their previous history to show that can be counted on to win the games they are supposed to and get to that level.

well to answer #1 its because of the cupcake schedule being that the big televen sux

and #2 is because tech scores lots and lots of points always. once their defense becomes decent (i read that they finished 3rd in the conference last year) they will be a true contender for the conference

JLEW1818
6/28/2008, 02:23 PM
Tech better do it this year cause its not happening next year.