PDA

View Full Version : How many of you take a "statin"

OklahomaRed
6/24/2008, 03:23 PM
I found this article very interesting?

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/medimedia/managedcare_200806/index.php?startid=22

r5TPsooner
6/24/2008, 03:33 PM
Just a beta blocker for migraines. When I was finishing my CE a few weeks ago there was a study that showed that most if not all Americans would benefit from taking a statin.

OklahomaRed
6/24/2008, 03:38 PM
Article does a pretty good job of talking about relative risk factors and number needed to treat. They keep pushing the bottom number lower and lower, but this article sheds a pretty good light on things. You have to remember that the pharmaceutical industry in the U.S. is still a big pusher on the political spectrum, and the media and government are bought in hook, line, and sinker. :D

This article is attempting to distinguish between appropriate use, and simply using prophylactically, which it points towards discouraging the use of it in the "water supply".

Mjcpr
6/24/2008, 03:45 PM
This article is attempting to distinguish between appropriate use, and simply using prophylactically, which it points towards discouraging the use of it in the "water supply".

I tried to use a Bayer aspirin prophylactically once and it didn't work worth a damn.

OklahomaRed
6/24/2008, 03:46 PM
I tried to use a Bayer aspirin prophylactically once and it didn't work worth a damn.

Heh. :) Try holding it between your knees? :D